DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weekend

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Driver of the weekend: British GP

Poll ended at Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:50 am

Hamilton
34
53%
Rosberg
1
2%
Vettel
0
No votes
Raikkonen
2
3%
Bottas
0
No votes
Massa
0
No votes
Ricciardo
0
No votes
Verstappen
22
34%
Hulkenberg
2
3%
Perez
0
No votes
Sainz
0
No votes
Kvyat
0
No votes
Nasr
0
No votes
Ericsson
0
No votes
Alonso
3
5%
Button
0
No votes
Wehrlein
0
No votes
Haryanto
0
No votes
Magnussen
0
No votes
Palmer
0
No votes
Grosjean
0
No votes
Gutierrez
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 64

User avatar
Black_Flag_11
Posts: 8080
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm

DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weekend

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Driver of the weekend - Britain

Cast your vote for the British Grand Prix.

Standings after Austria

Code: Select all

1  |  Hamilton   | 14  |
2  |  Ricciardo  | 14  |
3  |  Rosberg    | 10  |
4  |  Grosjean   | 10  |
5  |  Vettel     |  8  |
6  |  Verstappen |  6  |
7  |  Perez      |  6  |
8  |  Alonso     |  5  |
9  |  Button     |  3  |
10  |  Vandoorne |  3  |
11 |  Sainz      |  1  |
12 |  Wehrlein   |  1  |

Rules & Format
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position

Mad Max for me, close between him and Hamilton though.

stevey
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by stevey »

Hamilton for me, managed the race like a boss!

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8586
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Exediron »

It's between Hamilton and Verstappen for me, and I went with Max. Outqualifying Ricciardo for the first time seals the deal.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mikeyg123
Posts: 18646
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by mikeyg123 »

Very tough choice but I went for Hulkenberg.

Fiki
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Belgium

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Fiki »

Räikkönen, knowing sufficient people would be voting for Max. Very impressed with Carlos also, and Button and Alonso.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Herb
Posts: 2418
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Herb »

Hamilton.

Dominated qualifying, and managed the race perfectly.

Max a very close second for me.

j man
Posts: 3575
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by j man »

I pick Hamilton. Dominated practice, atoned for a minor slip in qualifying by grabbing pole anyway and then controlled the race after excelling in the wet conditions. Rosberg was nowhere near him.

Impressive display from Verstappen too. Once again gave Rosberg a lesson in defensive driving.

j man
Posts: 3575
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by j man »

Fiki wrote:Räikkönen, knowing sufficient people would be voting for Max. Very impressed with Carlos also, and Button and Alonso.
I find your logic odd. If you think Max was the standout performer then vote for him! Especially as he is currently not even leading the poll!

User avatar
mcdo
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by mcdo »

Hard to pick between Lewis and Max. I gave Driver of the Day to Max, I'll give this one to Lewis
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

User avatar
moby
Posts: 8072
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by moby »

Was undecided between Hamilton and MAX, so on the grounds what was expected from them I went for MAX.
We all expected Hamilton to win, but probably thought around 5th for Max, so that was the decider.

angrypirate
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:24 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by angrypirate »

Close call between Hamilton and Max. Went for Max

ainscowpaul
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by ainscowpaul »

Can only be Hamilton. Topped just about every session, managed the tyres and gap perfectly, and took pole and the win

User avatar
Llotyhy
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Llotyhy »

Update of the official Driver of the Day thing:

Australia: Romain Grosjean (6th)
Bahrain: Romain Grosjean (5th)
China: Daniil Kvyat (3rd)
Russia: Kevin Magnussen (7th)
Spain: Max Verstappen (1st)
Monaco: Sergio Perez (3rd)
Canada: Max Verstappen (4th)
Europe: Sergio Perez (3rd)
Austria: Max Verstappen (2nd)
England: Max Verstappen (2nd)


We're starting to notice a pattern here. ;)

User avatar
mds
Posts: 11443
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by mds »

Llotyhy wrote: England: Max Verstappen (2nd)
Except that Hamilton is winning this one by a landslide ;)
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

User avatar
Llotyhy
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Llotyhy »

Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. This is the list of winners of the official driver of the day award, the one organized by the FIA on their website.

I posted it as a comparison between that list and our own choices.

Vettel Fan
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:40 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Vettel Fan »

Hamilton because he stayed in first, lol. So much Hamilton love in this forum.

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Zoue »

I'd say Max. Difficult to say who was the best in qualifying but the fact that he beat Ricciardo, who himself is a seriously competent qualifier, is hugely impressive in my book. And his performance in the race was equally good. The fact that he had a good battle with Nico, even overtaking him, when in an inferior car shouldn't be underestimated.

Lewis did well, too, of course, but I don't think he had much to do so with his team mate and Max slowing each other up he had it relatively easy out front. He did a good job, but given their relative equipment I'd say Max did a great one

kerneys
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by kerneys »

Vettel Fan wrote:Hamilton because he stayed in first, lol. So much Hamilton love in this forum.
The clue is in the thread title. Driver of the WEEKEND. I'm pretty sure he was voted 1st based on his overall race weekend performance, and not only because he stayed in 1st position during a tricky race.

ALESI
Posts: 2418
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:36 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by ALESI »

Bernd Maylander, lead the first eight laps easily before having to pit due to a drying track!
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."

User avatar
Blinky McSquinty
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
Last edited by Blinky McSquinty on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

User avatar
Blinky McSquinty
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

double post, sorry
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

User avatar
moby
Posts: 8072
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by moby »

ALESI wrote:Bernd Maylander, lead the first eight laps easily before having to pit due to a drying track!
Is that despite taking a chapter out of the Rosberg book of cornering with a Mercedes trying to pass?

mikeyg123
Posts: 18646
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by mikeyg123 »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
I agree Verstappen is very worthy but was gifted about 12 seconds on Ricciardo during the VSC.

I voted Hulk but I considered Hamilton because I was really impressed with his quali performance. 3 tenths faster than Rosberg while knowing a fraction off the circuit would leave him 10th on the grid.

Then during the race he was much, much faster than his team mate until the track started to get fairly dry.

I think you could make the argument for Hulk, Verstappen or Hamilton personally.

Fiki
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Belgium

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Fiki »

j man wrote:
Fiki wrote:Räikkönen, knowing sufficient people would be voting for Max. Very impressed with Carlos also, and Button and Alonso.
I find your logic odd. If you think Max was the standout performer then vote for him! Especially as he is currently not even leading the poll!
This is about logic? 8O Surely if we are expected to go for the logical choice, then the question and the poll are superfluous? I thought even Haryanto deserved a mention.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Pullrod
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Pullrod »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
Based on what?

mikeyg123
Posts: 18646
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by mikeyg123 »

Pullrod wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
Based on what?
We know Ricciardo is about as good or quite possibly even better than Vettel and we know Rosberg is not as good as Hamilton?

Even without any team mate comparisons just looking at the drivers in isolation it's pretty clear Ricciardo posses skills Rosberg does not.

Pullrod
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Pullrod »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
Based on what?
We know Ricciardo is about as good or quite possibly even better than Vettel and we know Rosberg is not as good as Hamilton?

Even without any team mate comparisons just looking at the drivers in isolation it's pretty clear Ricciardo posses skills Rosberg does not.
What makes you think that Ricciardo would do better job against Hamilton?

Rosberg has been putting his(mediocre) cars in the TOP 5-7 positions since the beginning of his F1 career and could have won the Singapore 2008 GP driving a Wiliams.
He is massively underrated and if they were team mates I would back Rosberg anyday.

mikeyg123
Posts: 18646
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by mikeyg123 »

Pullrod wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
Based on what?
We know Ricciardo is about as good or quite possibly even better than Vettel and we know Rosberg is not as good as Hamilton?

Even without any team mate comparisons just looking at the drivers in isolation it's pretty clear Ricciardo posses skills Rosberg does not.
Who tells you Ricciardo would do better job against Hamilton?

Rosberg has been putting his(mediocre) cars in the TOP 5-7 positions since the beginning of his F1 career and could have won the Singapore 2008 GP driving a Wiliams.
He is massively underrated and if they were team mates I would back Rosberg anyday.
You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree and I don't think it's all that close. I think Ricciardo has performed at a top tier level for the past few seasons. I'm still waiting for Rosberg to do the same.

As I said you are entitled to think whatever you like but Ricciardo > Rosberg is fairly uncontroversial opinion.

Pullrod
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Pullrod »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
Based on what?
We know Ricciardo is about as good or quite possibly even better than Vettel and we know Rosberg is not as good as Hamilton?

Even without any team mate comparisons just looking at the drivers in isolation it's pretty clear Ricciardo posses skills Rosberg does not.
Who tells you Ricciardo would do better job against Hamilton?

Rosberg has been putting his(mediocre) cars in the TOP 5-7 positions since the beginning of his F1 career and could have won the Singapore 2008 GP driving a Wiliams.
He is massively underrated and if they were team mates I would back Rosberg anyday.
You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree and I don't think it's all that close. I think Ricciardo has performed at a top tier level for the past few seasons. I'm still waiting for Rosberg to do the same.

As I said you are entitled to think whatever you like but Ricciardo > Rosberg is fairly uncontroversial opinion.
The popular opinion is not always the right one.

Rosberg is not shining because he is driving alongside Hamilton. It is simple as that.

JenF1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by JenF1 »

I went for Hamilton -got the job done all weekend. Verstappen was excellent too.

mikeyg123
Posts: 18646
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by mikeyg123 »

Pullrod wrote: The popular opinion is not always the right one.

Rosberg is not shining because he is driving alongside Hamilton. It is simple as that.
And to flip it back round to you how do you know Ricciardo wouldn't match Hamilton?

sandman1347
Posts: 6977
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by sandman1347 »

Pullrod wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Based on what?
We know Ricciardo is about as good or quite possibly even better than Vettel and we know Rosberg is not as good as Hamilton?

Even without any team mate comparisons just looking at the drivers in isolation it's pretty clear Ricciardo posses skills Rosberg does not.
Who tells you Ricciardo would do better job against Hamilton?

Rosberg has been putting his(mediocre) cars in the TOP 5-7 positions since the beginning of his F1 career and could have won the Singapore 2008 GP driving a Wiliams.
He is massively underrated and if they were team mates I would back Rosberg anyday.
You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree and I don't think it's all that close. I think Ricciardo has performed at a top tier level for the past few seasons. I'm still waiting for Rosberg to do the same.

As I said you are entitled to think whatever you like but Ricciardo > Rosberg is fairly uncontroversial opinion.
The popular opinion is not always the right one.

Rosberg is not shining because he is driving alongside Hamilton. It is simple as that.
There's a lot of truth to that. We do not have an objectively reliable way to compare Rosberg and Ricciardo but I think it's important to note that Dan has lost to his teammates almost as much as he has beaten them. He lost to Kvyat last season in the points. Now of course Daniel clearly has more pace and ability than Kvyat but he also seems to suffer from a lack of consistency (perhaps stemming from pushing too hard at times).

My personal hunch is that Rosberg would likely beat Daniel over the course of a season because Nico is quite steady for the most part while Daniel is inconsistent. Perhaps Daniel possesses a higher ceiling but the structure of the championship values consistency above brilliance.

User avatar
tootsie323
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by tootsie323 »

Pullrod wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
Based on what?
Based on his opinion.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Pullrod
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Pullrod »

tootsie323 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:Hamilton does deserve to be named DOTW notwithstanding Verstappen eclipsed his performance. On a track that favors power Hamilton was expected to, and did win. But Verstappen did exceptionally well in a lesser car and easily did better than his esteemed teammate. Ricciardo is a darn good driver and IMO better than Rosberg. So Verstappen besting Ricciardo is much more impressive than Hamilton beating Rosberg.

edit: but what any driver did in Formula One pales in comparison to Josef Newgarden, who after a gnarly crash (that broke his shoulder and hand) a month previous and driving with pins and screws holding him together, won on the bumpy Iowa track.
Based on what?
Based on his opinion.
Your reply doesn't make sense to be honest.
I asked about the facts that makes him have this opinion.

If we can not discuss things the threads here will be 4 posts long.

jasonthebadger
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:33 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by jasonthebadger »

Pullrod wrote:
The popular opinion is not always the right one.
There are no " right " opinions, everybody is different and equally entitled to their own views. ;)

In saying that, I am of the opinion that Ricciardo would outperform Rosberg 9/10. As they have never been in equal machinery, there are zero facts on the matter. Not only that but none of Rosbergs teammates nor Ricciardos have ever been in equal machinery, so comparing their performance relative to former or current teammates is also in essence, irrelevant.

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, Webber was a teammate of Rosberg and Vettel. Webber beat Rosberg, Vettel beat Webber and Ricciardo beat Vettel.
So, by the best facts available, Ricciardo is indeed better than Rosberg, but considering that was a prime Webber in a crap Williams and Rosberg was still a rookie, i'd consider it inconclusive and realistically irrelevant, Nobody would say that Rosberg was the same driver 10 years on! ( Although if you do form that opinion, thats okay too! )
Any and all opinions are my own, they do not reflect the opinions of the FIA, FOM, Teams, Drivers, PlanetF1, Phase of the Moon, Rotation of the Earth or Aliens.

User avatar
mcdo
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by mcdo »

mikeyg123 wrote:Hamilton because I was really impressed with his quali performance. 3 tenths faster than Rosberg while knowing a fraction off the circuit would leave him 10th on the grid.
I voted for Lewis. But does Rosberg missing all of FP2 not have any impact on that gap?
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

optimisteprime
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by optimisteprime »

It's amazing how much the tv coverage clouds people's opinion. A 3 tenth gap over Rosberg is a huge deal because the commentary team kept going on about it, yet the fact that every other pair of team-mates in Q3 had similar or bigger gaps between them is ignored.

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Zoue »

optimisteprime wrote:It's amazing how much the tv coverage clouds people's opinion. A 3 tenth gap over Rosberg is a huge deal because the commentary team kept going on about it, yet the fact that every other pair of team-mates in Q3 had similar or bigger gaps between them is ignored.
:thumbup:

Pullrod
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Pullrod »

optimisteprime wrote:It's amazing how much the tv coverage clouds people's opinion. A 3 tenth gap over Rosberg is a huge deal because the commentary team kept going on about it, yet the fact that every other pair of team-mates in Q3 had similar or bigger gaps between them is ignored.
Did you expect the gap between Hamilton and Rosberg to be 9 tenths?
Which driver had a bigger gap in Q3 on their teammate's "mistake free" run?

Hamilton will soon hold the Pole positions record, so I don't think they "overrate" his qualifyings skills.

Zoue
Posts: 25158
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Re: DOTW Britain - Officially Unofficial Driver Of The Weeke

Post by Zoue »

Pullrod wrote:
optimisteprime wrote:It's amazing how much the tv coverage clouds people's opinion. A 3 tenth gap over Rosberg is a huge deal because the commentary team kept going on about it, yet the fact that every other pair of team-mates in Q3 had similar or bigger gaps between them is ignored.
Did you expect the gap between Hamilton and Rosberg to be 9 tenths?
Which driver had a bigger gap in Q3 on their teammate's "mistake free" run?

Hamilton will soon hold the Pole positions record, so I don't think they "overrate" his qualifyings skills.
Nobody's saying they overrate Hamilton's qualifying skills, but they are making a meal of a gap that others did just as well, if not better. Nico missed FP2 - you don't think that counts for anything? Max beat Ricciardo by three tenths; Kimi beat Seb by more than double that. All did very well compared to their team mates, including Hamilton, but I don't see anything to suggest Lewis did better than anyone else, comparatively speaking (not at all suggesting he did worse, either, but I don't really see that the three tenths gap is anything to get particularly excited about).

Post Reply