2020 Bahrain Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Zazu

Re: 2020 Bahrain Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by Zazu »

[quote="j man

I continue to be baffled by the idea of these AWS stats. Who on earth thinks that having a computer tell you what the result is going to be is a good thing? Surely the whole appeal of this sport (indeed any sport) is supposed to be uncertainty? It's one of the many symptoms of the sport being run by engineers and corporate types rather than actual motorsport fans.
[/quote]

What do you think the 1000 members of staff at a top team do? All the teams will run insane amounts of simulations and know pretty much what's going to happen. Their models will be far more accurate as they have significantly better data than AWS have access to.

I can't think of a more data driven sport than F1 and its only fans with the aid of the profit-off-the-back-of-it media, sponsors and third parties that think they know better.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:22 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:00 pm
I can't see Verstappen giving two hoots about his team mate being Perez or Hulk though. If Verstappen is as arrogant as everyone here says then he wouldn't be worried about facing tier 2 drivers.
Max is pretty arrogant, however, his father was brutally beaten by Schumacher and never recovered. Now he's found his Bottas/Raikkonen/Massa that makes him look good, Jos will be determined that his status as wunderkid doesn't get unsettled if an opportunity for a competitive car appears. If Perez is close in ability to Max, a Mercedes is going to have second thoughts about hiring him to replace Hamilton and may opt for Russell.
I don't think Merc is the long term objective for Verstappen. If so why sign such a long contract at Red Bull? and I don't know that Jos has that much influence over Max. I'd be astonished if Max or anyone around him cares if his team mate is Perez, Hulk or Albon because he/they know they are good enough to easily beat them.

Also, if we are talking about Verstappen's stock, how much value does it give him to smash Albon to bits for another year. Generally when drivers beat their team mates too easily people stop taking rating it.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 pm
I don't think Merc is the long term objective for Verstappen. If so why sign such a long contract at Red Bull?
Ultimately, Max wants a title-capable car and he will move heaven and earth to get that seat ASAP. I don't think he's loyal to any team.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't think Merc is the long term objective for Verstappen. If so why sign such a long contract at Red Bull?
Ultimately, Max wants a title-capable car and he will move heaven and earth to get that seat ASAP. I don't think he's loyal to any team.
I don't think it's about loyalty. There is no way we can say for sure Merc will continue to be a winning team. Logically their era has to end just like any others and besides that, none of the decisions Verstappen has made thus far even remotely suggests he's angling for a move to Mercedes.

j man

Post by j man »

Zazu wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:06 pm

What do you think the 1000 members of staff at a top team do? All the teams will run insane amounts of simulations and know pretty much what's going to happen. Their models will be far more accurate as they have significantly better data than AWS have access to.

I can't think of a more data driven sport than F1 and its only fans with the aid of the profit-off-the-back-of-it media, sponsors and third parties that think they know better.
Not sure I understand your point... Of course the teams will crunch through all the data available to them to drive their decision-making over the weekend, but I don't see why having an external company do the same thing just to display it on the broadcast is of any benefit to the viewing experience. It's rather like watching a movie with someone who tells you how they think it's going to end.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

F1Tyrant wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I can't see Verstappen giving two hoots about his team mate being Perez or Hulk though. If Verstappen is as arrogant as everyone here says then he wouldn't be worried about facing tier 2 drivers.
Max is pretty arrogant, however, his father was brutally beaten by Schumacher and never recovered. Now he's found his Bottas/Raikkonen/Massa that makes him look good, Jos will be determined that his status as wunderkid doesn't get unsettled if an opportunity for a competitive car appears. If Perez is close in ability to Max, a Mercedes is going to have second thoughts about hiring him to replace Hamilton and may opt for Russell.
I agree that Max is an arrogant SOB, but I don't think he fears Hulk or Perez, not whilst in the other Redbull seat anyway, a seat where Redbull's hierarchy's sole aim seems to only be to find someone that is simply within 3 tenths of Max and hence you are viewed as doing a good job. Noone in that seat will be able to challenge Max. The seat is not meant for that. That is just the Redbull way imo. As long as Horner and Marko are running that ship it will remain that way. I think they possibly had an agreement with Jos and it is what it is.

But Perez has never proven that he can operate at Max's level anyway. He is a so so qualifier that takes care of the tires on race days. That's not good enough to worry Max imho. Hulk is kind of the opposite, he is very strong in qualifying but lacks that little bit extra on Sundays. They would both struggle against Max, even if things were totally equal. Ahem...

I predicted a long time ago that Redbull would keep Albon, i think it looks that way more and more. I think they realize that they can get him to be closer to Max, as they try to improve their car, make it more driver friendly. Looks like that's what they'll end up doing.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't think Merc is the long term objective for Verstappen. If so why sign such a long contract at Red Bull? and I don't know that Jos has that much influence over Max. I'd be astonished if Max or anyone around him cares if his team mate is Perez, Hulk or Albon because he/they know they are good enough to easily beat them.

Also, if we are talking about Verstappen's stock, how much value does it give him to smash Albon to bits for another year. Generally when drivers beat their team mates too easily people stop taking rating it.
Yeah everything they've done doesn't lead to Mercedes, at least while Hamilton is still there.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

What tyres is Verstappen on?
Lewis Hamilton #44