Bold Prediction : Hamilton out, Vettel in

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
IDrinkYourMilkshake

Bold Prediction : Hamilton out, Vettel in

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... aster_Car/

Just getting a good feeling seeing how Sebastian is talking about a "faster car" for Spa for many years to come... I don't thinking he's the kind to have a dig at Ferrari.
Hamilton strangely hasn't renewed with Mercedes till now. Maybe the board really wants the German champion, who is finally contractless?

Getting a big gut feeling Seb goes to Mercedes. Will bump this thread up for bragging rights when it happens. :]

mikeyg123

Re: Bold Prediction : Hamilton out, Vettel in

Post by mikeyg123 »

Well I grant you it's a bold prediction.

Maybe Hamilton could go to Red Bull so they finally have a second driver capable of helping Verstappen in his championship charge?

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:56 pm

Just getting a good feeling seeing how Sebastian is talking about a "faster car" for Spa for many years to come... I don't thinking he's the kind to have a dig at Ferrari.
Hamilton strangely hasn't renewed with Mercedes till now. Maybe the board really wants the German champion, who is finally contractless?

Getting a big gut feeling Seb goes to Mercedes. Will bump this thread up for bragging rights when it happens. :]
Source: https://theawesomedaily.com/wp-content/ ... al-2-1.jpg
Mission WinLater

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Looking beyond the very obvious that right now, Racing Point have a faster car than Ferrari so Seb could technically be talking about them, there seem to be a lot of reasons why it wouldn't happen. Lewis said earlier in the year that he intends to be in F1 for the next three/four years. The regulations are pretty stable for 2021 so Mercedes will still be the team to beat. His teammate will still not be a genuine threat to him, and unless something happens over the rest of this season, Lewis will be starting next year looking for a record-breaking eighth WDC. In what world would he walk away from that opportunity, particularly when the 2022 regulations could (although I seriously doubt they will) end Mercedes' time fighting for wins and titles? And if the Mercedes board were so determined to get Seb, why would they sign off Bottas' extension?

Hamilton vs Vettel at Mercedes would've been cool, even in 2021 when it feels like Seb isn't at the height of his powers. And part of me would love to see Seb in a car where he might rediscover his form and rebuild his reputation a little. But I just cannot see it.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I think you've been drinking more than just milkshakes. :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

I believe Lewis is moving to Racing Point (Aston Martin) next year because he's enjoying driving this years Mercedes so much.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:42 pm
I believe Lewis is moving to Racing Point (Aston Martin) next year because he's enjoying driving this years Mercedes so much.
Although that's techically not possible, change of regs. ;)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
For next year?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:22 pm
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
For next year?
Yeah they're reducing the downforce.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:25 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
For next year?
I figured you were talking about the big delayed changes.

Anyhow, pleased to see Ferrari are running next years reduced downforce regulations on this years car in Spa!!!!! Early testing........

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Unfortunately, your whole argument is rather undermined by the fact that you misquoted Vettel...
When asked by a Sky Deutschland journalist if the 2020 Belgium Grand Prix would be his last visit to Spa-Francorchamps, Vettel smiled and replied:

“I think I can come here at any time. We’ll see if I will be driving a fast car. But I don’t think it will be my last time here.”
Vettel was just joking around. I read that as him saying he could come to Spa whenever he wants even if he's retired (and thus not driving a fast car anymore), not as any sort of statement on his team changes.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

He'll be getting a one year old Mercedes, if he goes to Tracing Point, so the prediction is partly true ;)
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

iano

Post by iano »

pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Yes, can't make an exact copy anymore. Besides, they would at least need to give his current car a new paint job.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

stroll is offering toto anything he wants to run racing point next year. toto hasn't signed anywhere yet either i think lewis and hamilton go to racing point or stay together. or toto may end up owning a big chunk of mercedes f1 ?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:28 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:25 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
For next year?
I figured you were talking about the big delayed changes.

Anyhow, pleased to see Ferrari are running next years reduced downforce regulations on this years car in Spa!!!!! Early testing........
Yeah they're gonna smash it for next year. :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Vettel Fan

Post by Vettel Fan »

This would be so epic

JN23

Post by JN23 »

If Hamilton left Mercedes would they want to sign Vettel?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 pm
If Hamilton left Mercedes would they want to sign Vettel?
Probably.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

HAM out and VET in at Mercedes? Um, no tinker's chance in hell. I think HAM will retire from Mercedes. Afterall, where would he go that would measure up to his expectations at Mercedes.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

not so bold a prediction anymore!

Invade

Post by Invade »

pc27b wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:20 am
not so bold a prediction anymore!
Why is that?

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

vettel could still end up at merc, if toto and ham go to racing point.
plenty of discussions behind the scenes. i think toto wants a bigger stake in merc, and total control. he can get that at racing point, so he isn't signing anything from merc, just yet. i don't think $$ is the main issue with toto, i think it is power and length of the deal merc wants him to sign.
i still believe toto and ham are a package deal. if it was only money, merc would have inked toto and ham already. i still think its possible they sell the team to toto too

JN23

Post by JN23 »

pc27b wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:54 am
plenty of discussions behind the scenes. i think toto wants a bigger stake in merc, and total control. he can get that at racing point, so he isn't signing anything from merc, just yet. i don't think $$ is the main issue with toto, i think it is power and length of the deal merc wants him to sign.
i still believe toto and ham are a package deal. if it was only money, merc would have inked toto and ham already. i still think its possible they sell the team to toto too
Toto said over the weekend he’s staying at Merc for 2021 but unsure in what capacity.

AMUS have an interview with Szafnauer which suggests there current drivers will remain for next year.

Invade

Post by Invade »

pc27b wrote:
Thanks. Interesting speculation.

I do think it's odd that there's still no real news coming out about Hamilton's extension.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

pc27b wrote:
Um, hold on. OK, what am I missing? Toto wants more power in running a team, so he's looking to move to a team owned by a Billionnaire who bought the team (clearly) so his son would have a guaranteed ride? In what way would Toto have more control in this situation? :lol:

And Stroll Sr isn't about to sell RP to Toto Wolf, either, as it would put his son's ride at risk, eventually. In my opinion, RP is a 'land-locked' team, as they have flexibility regarding one driver position, only. By choice.

Just like drivers, team principals shop around to exert leverage for more (money and power) with their current team. I do think that Toto and Hamilton MIGHT think of themselves as a package deal. But I'd be shocked to see them hop to the pink Merc with it's obvious and more onerous political entanglements.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

DFWdude wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:21 pm
pc27b wrote:
Um, hold on. OK, what am I missing? Toto wants more power in running a team, so he's looking to move to a team owned by a Billionnaire who bought the team (clearly) so his son would have a guaranteed ride? In what way would Toto have more control in this situation? :lol:

And Stroll Sr isn't about to sell RP to Toto Wolf, either, as it would put his son's ride at risk, eventually. In my opinion, RP is a 'land-locked' team, as they have flexibility regarding one driver position, only. By choice.

Just like drivers, team principals shop around to exert leverage for more (money and power) with their current team. I do think that Toto and Hamilton MIGHT think of themselves as a package deal. But I'd be shocked to see them hop to the pink Merc with it's obvious and more onerous political entanglements.
plenty of stories out there where stroll has talked to toto about running racing point.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

Post by IDrinkYourMilkshake »

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... er_inside/

Racing Point now saying they never considered Vettel. Sounds salty to me. I still believe Sebastian is waiting for Merc.

For Merc, it makes perfect sense to get him.

He's a multiple German WDC, who Toto seems to like a lot, and... Do many people believed that 2007 Ferrari and McLaren were equal, until Fernando proved that McLaren was inferior, by beating Massa in the same team from 2010 to 2013.

Same way, most people believe that Ferrari and Mercedes were roughly equal in 2017 and 2018. So the credit goes to Hamilton in being the differentiator. If Vettel comes and beats Bottas by similar or larger margins, it's good for Mercedes to be shown as a stronger car in history.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

pc27b wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:09 pm
DFWdude wrote:
pc27b wrote:

plenty of stories out there where stroll has talked to toto about running racing point.
Surely you meant to write, "plenty of stories out there where Stroll has talked to Toto about running HALF of Racing Point?" I just don't see it. Completely illogical.
Last edited by DFWdude on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:49 pm
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... er_inside/

Racing Point now saying they never considered Vettel. Sounds salty to me. I still believe Sebastian is waiting for Merc.

For Merc, it makes perfect sense to get him.

He's a multiple German WDC, who Toto seems to like a lot, and...
I agree that Sebastian might JOIN Hamilton, rather than REPLACE him. But that would mean doing the dirty with Bottas, leaving him stranded high and dry. Not deserved, IMO. Bottas has not distinguished himself as HAMs equal, but he hasn't embarrassed himself, either.

Vettel teamed with Hamilton would bring it's own issues, too. If HAM and TOTO are truly joined at the hips, then it wouldn't make sense for Wolff to bring VET aboard in the year when HAM will seek to break Schumacher's WDC record. Bottas is a dutiful second for the most part... Vettel won't be. Finally, I imagine the mental scars are still fresh on Toto's mind from the intra-team war between HAM and Rossberg just 4 years ago. I can't imagine Toto wanting to repeat that, and most certainly it will if Vettel came aboard.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

DFWdude wrote:
pc27b wrote:

Can we stop this absurd notion already?

Even Jenson Button stated how unwarranted that opinion is because Stroll is an excellent driver who won pretty much everything on his way to F1 and has done an excellent job from the moment he sat in the Williams and is continuing to do an excellent job at Racing Point. I'd take an F1 driver's word over that of armchair expert fans.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

DFWdude wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 pm
pc27b wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:09 pm
DFWdude wrote:
pc27b wrote:

Surely you meant to write, "plenty of stories out there where Stroll has talked to Toto about running HALF of Racing Pioint?" I just don't see it. Completely illogical.
i don't agree, which is fine. i think toto is looking for what is next beyond traveling every week with a team, i believe merc has thought about leaving f1 as a team owner and toto/stroll would snatch it up in a heartbeat. just a lot going on behind the scenes and he has plenty of options. a job outside f1 with aston is a possibility. doubt he would do the same with merc, because he doesn't get along with the new merc ceo. i think if ziesch was still around, toto and ham would already be signed

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Well, who is with Stroll next season then?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/09/per ... ing-point/

It will be a real shame if Perez doesn't get to stay in F1, but I have to say that Stroll has basically looked equal to him this year. For those who rate Stroll that badly, this is not good for Perez. But I personally think Stroll really has turned around this year. Maybe he can just perform significantly better now the team also has a better car. He hasn't had a perfect season, but then neither has Perez. I'm not sure where Perez would go if he stays in F1. Alfa Romeo will almost certainly be losing one driver next year IMO. I think Giovinazzi is the weakest on the grid that has had some time to prove himself in F1. Kimi has been there a couple of years and if he still has the interest, he still shows he's pretty capable. Haas may be another option. Though Perez is an experienced driver, I think Haas as a pretty new team to F1 should keep at least one of their drivers that they've had for some years. Unless Grosjean has a simply shocking year and Magnussen dominates him, I still think they should and likely will hang onto Grosjean. He's been with the team since they came into F1 and is far better at giving the team feedback than people realise. He isn't the best driver and does make quite a few mistakes, but at the same time, the team does seem to be lacking in terms of important information given to drivers compared to the others.

Who will go to Aston Martin then? Will it be Vettel?

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Vettel had better being going to Aston Martin. What other reason would there be for ousting Sergio? Nothing else would make a smack of sense, imo. Vettel to AM would change my level of excitement for next year - that is 100% certain. Waking up at 1am and 4 am to watch Ferrari floundering around in free practice sessions is not my cup of tea. And the Qualification and Race sessions have ranged from cringe worthy to excruciatingly painful. So let's hope that the move takes place at RP/AM for Vettel and the car continues to perform next year. :nod:

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Well, ESPN has just announced that Perez confirms he's leaving RP at the end of the year, paving the way for Vettel (likely).

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/29 ... eplacement

So much for Bold Predictions...

Charles LeBrad

Post by Charles LeBrad »

Im still stick to my previous bold prediction - It looks like we're on similar thoughts

Sainz to Ferrari (LeClerc / Sainz)
Ricciardo to Mclaren (Ricciardo / Norris)
Gasly to Renault (Gasly / Ocon)
New blood at Alpha Tauri (Kvyat / Rookie)
Hamilton to follow Toto to Aston Martin (Hamilton / Perez)
Vettel to Mercedes (Vettel / Bottas)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15912&p=816989#p816989

This was afer the Sainz signing was confirmed, so Im not claiming the first one

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Unfortunately that is not happening. Next year again Mercedes will win both the titles. Bottas is also confirmed so Hamilton will be at least for 1year I am sure. Vettel is pretty much confirmed for RP. Now that Perez has announced he is leaving.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

The prediction is correct, Vettel will be driving Hamilton's car next year. But just in the same way a little brother gets to wear his old brother's PE Kit after he's got some new ones.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:36 am
The prediction is correct, Vettel will be driving Hamilton's car next year. But just in the same way a little brother gets to wear his old brother's PE Kit after he's got some new ones.
true ! lol

Invade

Post by Invade »

Well that's the end of that.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Invade wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:47 pm
Well that's the end of that.
It was only ever a pipe dream.