It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:36 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 17014
Anyone taken a look?

I'm 5 episodes in. So far I think it's better than season 1. My main take is what a lovely bloke Alex Albon seems to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1757
Watched eight so far and really enjoying it. Agree on Albon being a really nice guy.

Found it hard not feel sorry for a couple of drivers as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 10057
Watched a couple episodes and my main takeaway is that god what a toxic environment Haas seems to be.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 278
Seen it all. I thought there were 5 or 6 excellent episodes and a few that were very meh

Was very surprised how blunt George Russell was when within the team. However, must be bizarre racing in a Williams then sitting in a Mercedes for a test and witnessing first hand the haves and have nots.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:49 pm
Posts: 27
I watched it over the weekend and, much like the first season, I thought it provided a great insight. I was already impressed by how he handled himself last year, but my admiration for Gasly increased greatly, after watching it. Albon came across well too - I had no idea about his family background issues, and I even managed to come out of it hating Grosjean far less.

And it was good to get a slight glimpse at what went wrong at Williams too and incredible to be in that meeting where Claire found out all the things that wouldn't be ready for the test, like the fact they didn't even have wheel nuts.

_________________
Watching from the cheap seats.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:08 am
Posts: 134
Location: scotland
Binge watched all 10 episodes over the weekend. Felt they need more episodes to cover the races better but overall what a great insight. Claire Williams came across as quite soft, Hass does seem a horrible environment as well!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1940
About 3-4 episodes in at the moment, about to start Mercedes' German weekend :twisted:

Haas definitely seems like a toxic environment to work in, but they've only got themselves to blame by retaining KM and RG. They need some new blood in there for 2021 without a doubt.

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:08 pm
Posts: 1254
Watched 5 or 6 episodes on Friday night with a few beers.

Then my wife wanted to watch them so watched them all again over a lazy Sunday.

Brilliant, love it all! Only problem is I now support so many drivers I'm not sure who to cheer for any more.

Claire Williams though???? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 17014
Steve_muzzy wrote:
Binge watched all 10 episodes over the weekend. Felt they need more episodes to cover the races better but overall what a great insight. Claire Williams came across as quite soft, Hass does seem a horrible environment as well!


I don't know. Steiner strikes me as the kind of guy that will tell you to chocolate fudge cake off but have your back when it counts. I'd rather have a boss that treats me like that than a situation like Claire Williams blanking Paddy Lowe. And I like Claire normally.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:40 am
Posts: 189
It was good. Got slow at some points. There wasn't anything on Racing Point. I was expecting more on the Monza Ferrari qualifying debacle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 2031
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
mikeyg123 wrote:
Steve_muzzy wrote:
Binge watched all 10 episodes over the weekend. Felt they need more episodes to cover the races better but overall what a great insight. Claire Williams came across as quite soft, Hass does seem a horrible environment as well!


I don't know. Steiner strikes me as the kind of guy that will tell you to chocolate fudge cake off but have your back when it counts. I'd rather have a boss that treats me like that than a situation like Claire Williams blanking Paddy Lowe. And I like Claire normally.

The threat against the chief designer was a bit harsh but I do see where he's coming from in that moment. But boy does he read the riot act a lot.

_________________
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:14 am
Posts: 247
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire UK
I really enjoy it, I just wish they made more episodes :lol:

My wife will sit and watch a Grand Prix if she has nothing else to do, but will only be watching in the background so to speak, playing on her phone throughout - but she is glued to Drive To Survive. She says it makes the races more interesting because you get to see the personalities of the drivers and key team staff etc in a way that you don't really get to see on race weekend coverage. So as a tool for engaging the causal F1 viewer I think it's worth its weight in gold to Liberty Media.

I felt a bit awkward watching Claire and Paddy not really speaking in episode 9 - That episode, being a long time Williams supporter was the one I was looking forward to most AND least at the same time! :lol:

On the whole though, yeah a few bits missed or glossed over that could have been expanded on a bit more with a few more episodes instead of the ten they give us, but it's something I've looked forward to since the last episode of season 1 :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3907
Only got to the episode about Ferrari. IMo so far it is better than the first season.
The Gasly demotion was very well covered and it really shed some light for me on the reason for his struggles and how Redbull decided to chose Albon to replace him and Kvyat was not even in the conversation. But I now understand better why Albon was the logical replacement.
Albon's mother I had no idea about what happened to her.
I found Vettel and Leclerc's relationship interesting. They play nice when they are together, but there were definetely daggers being thrown by each other at each other and it was very comical to watch. These two are never going to get along, they can't even agree on the same music. LOL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
I don't have Netflix and won't be subscribing anytime soon - are there ways to watch this without access to Netflix?

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 3087
DOLOMITE wrote:
I don't have Netflix and won't be subscribing anytime soon - are there ways to watch this without access to Netflix?



No idea about things like that, but if I can't remember what channel I need for a particular program I just put 'online free' in the search engine next to title I want to watch and see what comes up. Or have a general look round on the reddit threads.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:14 am
Posts: 247
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire UK
DOLOMITE wrote:
I don't have Netflix and won't be subscribing anytime soon - are there ways to watch this without access to Netflix?
I think they offer a month's free trial, for you to trial their services. Would be more than enough time to watch both seasons and then cancel........ ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
SteveW wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
I don't have Netflix and won't be subscribing anytime soon - are there ways to watch this without access to Netflix?
I think they offer a month's free trial, for you to trial their services. Would be more than enough time to watch both seasons and then cancel........ ;)


That's a good call! Thanks.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1757
DOLOMITE wrote:
SteveW wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
I don't have Netflix and won't be subscribing anytime soon - are there ways to watch this without access to Netflix?
I think they offer a month's free trial, for you to trial their services. Would be more than enough time to watch both seasons and then cancel........ ;)


That's a good call! Thanks.


No idea where you live Dolomite, but if it’s the UK I don’t think the free trial exists there anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 4035
Guys, please remember that we do not condone or allow anyone posting means of illegally accessing content here.

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 am 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8280
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guys, please remember that we do not condone or allow anyone posting means of illegally accessing content here.

In fairness, it is not illegal. You get a free trial period of a month that you can cancel. They advertise it like this and there is no obligation to continue the subscription if you do not want to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guys, please remember that we do not condone or allow anyone posting means of illegally accessing content here.


Noted and apologis I wasn't fishing for illegal methods - was just a genuine query if any the series had been made available on any other platform.

The free month offer has indeed been dropped in the UK which is a bummer. But looks like you can cancel Netflix anytime so I guess if I do a month subscription and binge I can get both series done for under a tenner and that seems reasonable.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 am 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8280
DOLOMITE wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guys, please remember that we do not condone or allow anyone posting means of illegally accessing content here.


Noted and apologis I wasn't fishing for illegal methods - was just a genuine query if any the series had been made available on any other platform.

The free month offer has indeed been dropped in the UK which is a bummer. But looks like you can cancel Netflix anytime so I guess if I do a month subscription and binge I can get both series done for under a tenner and that seems reasonable.


Have they? I did not know this, bummer indeed. I only started Netflix a couple of months ago and they still had it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:14 am
Posts: 247
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire UK
Apologies if I said/typed something I shouldn't have - but in my defence I guess whilst taking advantage of a free trial for this reason may not really be within the spirit of the law, it's not technically illegal ;) (sounds a bit F1 that doesn't it :lol: )

a Moot point anyway if indeed the free trial has now been dropped :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am
Posts: 832
Next season will be called "survive to drive"...

_________________
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
Siao7 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guys, please remember that we do not condone or allow anyone posting means of illegally accessing content here.


Noted and apologis I wasn't fishing for illegal methods - was just a genuine query if any the series had been made available on any other platform.

The free month offer has indeed been dropped in the UK which is a bummer. But looks like you can cancel Netflix anytime so I guess if I do a month subscription and binge I can get both series done for under a tenner and that seems reasonable.


Have they? I did not know this, bummer indeed. I only started Netflix a couple of months ago and they still had it.


Yep dropped it early Dec '19 apparently.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:03 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8280
DOLOMITE wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guys, please remember that we do not condone or allow anyone posting means of illegally accessing content here.


Noted and apologis I wasn't fishing for illegal methods - was just a genuine query if any the series had been made available on any other platform.

The free month offer has indeed been dropped in the UK which is a bummer. But looks like you can cancel Netflix anytime so I guess if I do a month subscription and binge I can get both series done for under a tenner and that seems reasonable.


Have they? I did not know this, bummer indeed. I only started Netflix a couple of months ago and they still had it.


Yep dropped it early Dec '19 apparently.


Weird, I opened my account on January and it had the month offer. Anyway, sorry for the off topic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 4035
Siao7 wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guys, please remember that we do not condone or allow anyone posting means of illegally accessing content here.

In fairness, it is not illegal. You get a free trial period of a month that you can cancel. They advertise it like this and there is no obligation to continue the subscription if you do not want to.

That wasn't the comment I was referring to.

DOLOMITE, I know you weren't, wasn't aimed at you either.

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8280
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guys, please remember that we do not condone or allow anyone posting means of illegally accessing content here.

In fairness, it is not illegal. You get a free trial period of a month that you can cancel. They advertise it like this and there is no obligation to continue the subscription if you do not want to.

That wasn't the comment I was referring to.

DOLOMITE, I know you weren't, wasn't aimed at you either.

Oh, apologies, I shouldn't have been so hasty. Good it is sorted then!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
Well I signed up and have got stuck in. Watched first 3 episodes of season 2. It's a bit style-over-substance at times but interesting enough in the absence of any racing. Question though - is Series 1 actually still on there? I couldn't find it.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7778
Location: Michigan, USA
DOLOMITE wrote:
Question though - is Series 1 actually still on there? I couldn't find it.

It definitely is. I accidentally starting watching it first when I went to watch the new season! :lol:

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5304
Just finished season 2, just as good as season 1, if not better!

You get so much more emotion and connectivity to the driver, team principals etc than with the usual TV coverage. Really well edited so as not to be biased, give you behind the scenes stories but also not be detrimental to anyone.

1 thing I did notice was how good last year's Brazilian grand Prix was! (Also that they didn't show or say a thing about Abu Dhabi, that's how inconsequencial and bad the race was)

I also loved Kimi's only line in the entire series.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
Can anyone point me toward finding season 1 ? I just don't see it anywhere

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7986
DOLOMITE wrote:
Can anyone point me toward finding season 1 ? I just don't see it anywhere

It will depend a little on which platform you're trying to view it (phone app, PC etc.) but if you try bringing up season 2 on Netflix and go to something like 'more episodes' to bring up the episode list, you should also be able to change seasons by scrolling up/back on the episode list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:08 pm
Posts: 1254
DOLOMITE wrote:
Can anyone point me toward finding season 1 ? I just don't see it anywhere


When you play an episode and move your mouse over the screen you should see some icons at bottom right, the middle icon (on my version) shows a pop-up with the list of episodes, and at the top of that pop-up displays <- Season 2 - and if you click on that you can change to season 1 and see the relaxant list of episodes.

(maybe an easier way to do it but that works for me).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
Thanks Biffa/Black Flag < i'll try again. Watching just using browser (Chrome) on a laptop, not an app.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5304
If you still can't find it, try downloading the Netflix app through the windows store or appstore, I always found it a bit more user friendly that their website.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
minchy wrote:
If you still can't find it, try downloading the Netflix app through the windows store or appstore, I always found it a bit more user friendly that their website.



Yep laptop is windows 10 so I tried the Netflix app and found Season 1 straight away.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1392
Well I finished Season 2 and have started season 1. Have to say the more I watch the less I like it. It's like watching a 30 sec trailer for F1 extended to 30 mins. There's no substance to it. The visual side is great - they did an incredible job with the cameras and the visuals are stunning, but the rapid editing doesn't let itself to sustained viewing. This could/should have been a chnace to get inside the emerging stories of the season and find out what happens on the inside. Even the talking head sections are reduced to one-line soundbites. If you follow F1 as closely as I do you're seeing very little new here and the stuff you do is very staged. Even the shots of the team bosses walking the shop floor are awkward.

A rare exception was them capturing the HAAS Oz GP disaster where the pit crew fluffed the stops and the wheels weren't on.

Overall, for me disappointing and a missed opportunity. Either Netflix didn't know what to do with it or F1 wouldn't actually allow them to get that close, I don't know. Maybe I'm getting old (well I am) but this feels like TV for the ADHD generation.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7986
Kind of agree DOLOMITE, it gives some good behind the scenes stuff and I'd say it's worth watching for the F1 fan for that reason, but its clearly made in a way to interest people who aren't already into F1 IMO. Not that its necessarily a bad thing to do that.

Some of the over dramatisation of events irks me a little when it's clearly edited to be more 'Hollywood' than it actually was. The one that springs to mind is the Gasly/Hamilton run up to the line in Brazil, when they played radio messages like "Really hard to catch up to this guy" from Hamilton and "Push, push, push" to Gasly, as though these messages were happening on that straight. If I didnt already know how it ended I would half expect to see Hamilton change gear and suddenly go way faster like in a cheesy racing movie.

Has some good stuff in it for sure, but I definitely feel it could be better for me by giving more behind the scenes stuff and less drama personally, though I recognise that would appeal far less to people who dont watch F1 and bringing in new fans is always a good thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 3087
DOLOMITE wrote:
Well I finished Season 2 and have started season 1. Have to say the more I watch the less I like it. It's like watching a 30 sec trailer for F1 extended to 30 mins. There's no substance to it. The visual side is great - they did an incredible job with the cameras and the visuals are stunning, but the rapid editing doesn't let itself to sustained viewing. This could/should have been a chnace to get inside the emerging stories of the season and find out what happens on the inside. Even the talking head sections are reduced to one-line soundbites. If you follow F1 as closely as I do you're seeing very little new here and the stuff you do is very staged. Even the shots of the team bosses walking the shop floor are awkward.

A rare exception was them capturing the HAAS Oz GP disaster where the pit crew fluffed the stops and the wheels weren't on.

Overall, for me disappointing and a missed opportunity. Either Netflix didn't know what to do with it or F1 wouldn't actually allow them to get that close, I don't know. Maybe I'm getting old (well I am) but this feels like TV for the ADHD generation.



I cringed at the Williams one. She reminded me of David Brent in The Office when he goes to talk to the staff. As you say; awkward!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group