It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 8:10 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1634
Time for a bit of fun so we can stop reading about whether races will go ahead, let's do some predictions for the upcoming season!

(some questions shamelessly stolen from last year's Race Fans 20 questions article)

- Who will be WDC?
- Who will be WCC?
- Who will finish fourth?
- Surprise package?
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most?
- How many non-top three podiums will there be?
- At which race will the WDC be decided?
- Which driver will get the most pole positions?
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season?
- Who will get the most penalty points?
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)?
- Biggest political story of the season?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16923
JN23 wrote:
Time for a bit of fun so we can stop reading about whether races will go ahead, let's do some predictions for the upcoming season!

(some questions shamelessly stolen from last year's Race Fans 20 questions article)

- Who will be WDC?
- Who will be WCC?
- Who will finish fourth?
- Surprise package?
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most?
- How many non-top three podiums will there be?
- At which race will the WDC be decided?
- Which driver will get the most pole positions?
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season?
- Who will get the most penalty points?
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)?
- Biggest political story of the season?


Who will be WDC?

Lewis Hamilton

- Who will be WCC?

Mercedes

- Who will finish fourth?

Racing Point

- Surprise package?

Williams will be a bit better than expected. Alpha Tauri may have the 5th fastest car but won't have the drivers to capitalise

- Who will outqualify their teammate the most?

Verstappen

- How many non-top three podiums will there be?

1 for Perez and 1 for Ricciardo

- At which race will the WDC be decided?

Japan

- Which driver will get the most pole positions?

Hamilton

- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season?

All but Spain

- Who will get the most penalty points?

Magnussen

- First driver dropped for a race (if any)?

Grosjean

- Biggest political story of the season?

The ongoing shenanigans as teams try to barter around signing the new Concorde agreement


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 34140
JN23 wrote:
Time for a bit of fun so we can stop reading about whether races will go ahead, let's do some predictions for the upcoming season!

(some questions shamelessly stolen from last year's Race Fans 20 questions article)

- Who will be WDC? Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? Mercedes
- Who will finish fourth? Renault
- Surprise package? Williams
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Verstappen
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? Three
- At which race will the WDC be decided? Mexico
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All of them
- Who will get the most penalty points? Grosjean
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None
- Biggest political story of the season? Haas pull out of F1

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1634
pokerman wrote:
- Biggest political story of the season? Haas pull out of F1


I would not at all be surprised if you are right about Haas, especially if they're struggling again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1634
- Who will be WDC? Verstappen, but partly because I'm being stubborn in my prediction that 2019 would be Hamilton's last championship
- Who will be WCC? Mercedes, driver line up is better than Red Bull
- Who will finish fourth? Mclaren, driver line up is better than Racing Point. I'm not sure Renault will quite be there and will look to 2021 pretty quickly
- Surprise package? Williams not being last
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Verstappen
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? Two - if I had to guess I'd go Sainz and Perez
- At which race will the WDC be decided? Brazil
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All of them but Spain will be last to be confirmed after being in doubt for most of the year
- Who will get the most penalty points? Grosjean
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? Vips will replace Kvyat for the last race
- Biggest political story of the season? Ferrari engine/FIA statement-gate


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 3464
- Who will be WDC? Hamilton

- Who will be WCC? Mercedes

- Who will finish fourth? I assume this is WCC not WDC, in which case, Racing Point

- Surprise package? I'm going to say Renault, but in a bad way.

- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Russell

- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 0

- At which race will the WDC be decided? The penultimate race (although this prediction's based on most, if not all of the races taking place)

- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton

- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All except Spain, although I guess Coronavirus has to put a question mark on the Chinese grand prix's future.

- Who will get the most penalty points? Ocon

- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? Nobody will be dropped

- Biggest political story of the season? Some kind of horrendous combination of the Concorde agreement negotiations and the fallout from the Ferrari 2019 engine saga.

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 3383
Location: UK
- Who will be WDC? Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? Mercedes
- Who will finish fourth? Racing Point
- Surprise package? Racing Point (specifically Perez) will be closer to the top 3 than the midfield
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Verstappen
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 4
- At which race will the WDC be decided? Mexico
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? China, Monaco, Austria.
- Who will get the most penalty points? Grosjean
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? Albon
- Biggest political story of the season? Does Ferrari's "private settlement" count?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 2266
For those going for Grosjean for most penalty points, last season, he got 2. There were 7 drivers that got more points than him, including Hamilton and several other very good drivers. Vettel and Ricciardo nearly had 4 times what Grosjean had. He hasn't done much in the way of things to warrant penalty points compared to other drivers, so not sure why so many are voting him. I really do feel I may get judged as constantly defending Grosjean. I don't think he's that good myself but he's been judged as far worse than he actually was last year, probably triggering peoples decisions on him. Despite being in F1 for less time than Grosjean and missing out on over a year of F1 with the penalty points system, Verstappen has in fact managed to collect more than Grosjean over this time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16923
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
For those going for Grosjean for most penalty points, last season, he got 2. There were 7 drivers that got more points than him, including Hamilton and several other very good drivers. Vettel and Ricciardo nearly had 4 times what Grosjean had. He hasn't done much in the way of things to warrant penalty points compared to other drivers, so not sure why so many are voting him. I really do feel I may get judged as constantly defending Grosjean. I don't think he's that good myself but he's been judged as far worse than he actually was last year, probably triggering peoples decisions on him. Despite being in F1 for less time than Grosjean and missing out on over a year of F1 with the penalty points system, Verstappen has in fact managed to collect more than Grosjean over this time.


Erm, So what you are saying is they both have driven under the penalty point system for the same about of time?

So surely Grosjean being in F1 for longer is irrelevant in this comparison. If anything him being more experienced should count against him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1634
When did the penalty point system start? It was just a few years ago wasn’t it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 2266
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
For those going for Grosjean for most penalty points, last season, he got 2. There were 7 drivers that got more points than him, including Hamilton and several other very good drivers. Vettel and Ricciardo nearly had 4 times what Grosjean had. He hasn't done much in the way of things to warrant penalty points compared to other drivers, so not sure why so many are voting him. I really do feel I may get judged as constantly defending Grosjean. I don't think he's that good myself but he's been judged as far worse than he actually was last year, probably triggering peoples decisions on him. Despite being in F1 for less time than Grosjean and missing out on over a year of F1 with the penalty points system, Verstappen has in fact managed to collect more than Grosjean over this time.


Erm, So what you are saying is they both have driven under the penalty point system for the same about of time?


So surely Grosjean being in F1 for longer is irrelevant in this comparison. If anything him being more experienced should count against him.



No? I'm pointing out that Grosjean has been driving in F1 for longer than Verstappen since the system has been in place and despite that, has picked up less points. It was introduced in 2014. Not sure why I said over a year (as it was just one), but not sure how you think i am implying they have driven under this system the same number of years. The fact is, Verstappen has been getting more than Grosjean recently as well as overall in less time. Verstappen has also got 2 more penalty points in the last 2 seasons put together than during his first two, which also shows he's still doing quite a few things he shouldn't. And I feel he won't ever change in several of the areas that end up getting him them despite being a better driver in general.

https://f1statblog.co.uk/f1-penalty-points/

Both Verstappen and Grosjean were pretty high and both got 7 in 2018, but Verstappen got 4 last year compared to two for Grosjean. I think it is likely that drivers such as Vettel, Verstappen, Kvyat, and Magnussen too will likely all get more than Grosjean. They did last year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16923
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
For those going for Grosjean for most penalty points, last season, he got 2. There were 7 drivers that got more points than him, including Hamilton and several other very good drivers. Vettel and Ricciardo nearly had 4 times what Grosjean had. He hasn't done much in the way of things to warrant penalty points compared to other drivers, so not sure why so many are voting him. I really do feel I may get judged as constantly defending Grosjean. I don't think he's that good myself but he's been judged as far worse than he actually was last year, probably triggering peoples decisions on him. Despite being in F1 for less time than Grosjean and missing out on over a year of F1 with the penalty points system, Verstappen has in fact managed to collect more than Grosjean over this time.


Erm, So what you are saying is they both have driven under the penalty point system for the same about of time?


So surely Grosjean being in F1 for longer is irrelevant in this comparison. If anything him being more experienced should count against him.



No? I'm pointing out that Grosjean has been driving in F1 for longer than Verstappen since the system has been in place and despite that, has picked up less points. It was introduced in 2014. Not sure why I said over a year (as it was just one), but not sure how you think i am implying they have driven under this system the same number of years. The fact is, Verstappen has been getting more than Grosjean recently as well as overall in less time. Verstappen has also got 2 more penalty points in the last 2 seasons put together than during his first two, which also shows he's still doing quite a few things he shouldn't. And I feel he won't ever change in several of the areas that end up getting him them despite being a better driver in general.

https://f1statblog.co.uk/f1-penalty-points/

Both Verstappen and Grosjean were pretty high and both got 7 in 2018, but Verstappen got 4 last year compared to two for Grosjean. I think it is likely that drivers such as Vettel, Verstappen, Kvyat, and Magnussen too will likely all get more than Grosjean. They did last year.


I'm not sure saying he has accrued less than a notoriously reckless and high profile driver in his first seasons in F1 really supports your argument as much as you think it does.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 2266
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
For those going for Grosjean for most penalty points, last season, he got 2. There were 7 drivers that got more points than him, including Hamilton and several other very good drivers. Vettel and Ricciardo nearly had 4 times what Grosjean had. He hasn't done much in the way of things to warrant penalty points compared to other drivers, so not sure why so many are voting him. I really do feel I may get judged as constantly defending Grosjean. I don't think he's that good myself but he's been judged as far worse than he actually was last year, probably triggering peoples decisions on him. Despite being in F1 for less time than Grosjean and missing out on over a year of F1 with the penalty points system, Verstappen has in fact managed to collect more than Grosjean over this time.


Erm, So what you are saying is they both have driven under the penalty point system for the same about of time?


So surely Grosjean being in F1 for longer is irrelevant in this comparison. If anything him being more experienced should count against him.



No? I'm pointing out that Grosjean has been driving in F1 for longer than Verstappen since the system has been in place and despite that, has picked up less points. It was introduced in 2014. Not sure why I said over a year (as it was just one), but not sure how you think i am implying they have driven under this system the same number of years. The fact is, Verstappen has been getting more than Grosjean recently as well as overall in less time. Verstappen has also got 2 more penalty points in the last 2 seasons put together than during his first two, which also shows he's still doing quite a few things he shouldn't. And I feel he won't ever change in several of the areas that end up getting him them despite being a better driver in general.

https://f1statblog.co.uk/f1-penalty-points/

Both Verstappen and Grosjean were pretty high and both got 7 in 2018, but Verstappen got 4 last year compared to two for Grosjean. I think it is likely that drivers such as Vettel, Verstappen, Kvyat, and Magnussen too will likely all get more than Grosjean. They did last year.


I'm not sure saying he has accrued less than a notoriously reckless and high profile driver in his first seasons in F1 really supports your argument as much as you think it does.

Yea maybe Verstappen should be forgiven for his first season given Grosjean didn't have his awful 2012 season included (or his others), but as i later pointed out, in recent years, Verstappen hasn't really been getting a great deal less than his first.

Grosjean in fact never has got the most penalty points in a season since they came out. But he's been tied at the top (twice in fact) but then the most recent time was tied with Verstappen. And with so many other drivers more recently making mistakes with bigger penalties than Grosjean this season, that is the reason I am questioning why it seems many are going for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:23 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7733
Location: Michigan, USA
I think I got these hilariously wrong last year, but let's see if I can do a little better...

- Who will be WDC? Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? Mercedes
- Who will finish fourth? McLaren, although they won't start the year fourth best
- Surprise package? Williams won't be the clear worst car
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Russell over Latifi
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? Two
- At which race will the WDC be decided? Brazil
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? Austria & Monaco
- Who will get the most penalty points? Magnussen, although Vettel will deserve the most
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None
- Biggest political story of the season? Teams using the new Concorde agreement as political leverage against Ferrari

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 10:54 am
Posts: 903
Location: Melbourne Australia
Who will be WDC? - Ham
- Who will be WCC? - Merc
- Who will finish fourth? - Ferrari
- Surprise package? - Renault
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? - Probably Max or Russell
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? - Ferrari will not be top 3, so maybe 3-5 of the others (3 in 2019)
- At which race will the WDC be decided? - Australia (lol)
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? - Ham
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season?
- Who will get the most penalty points? - Vettel
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)?
- Biggest political story of the season? - Coronavirus

_________________
Dan the man!



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:26 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7733
Location: Michigan, USA
Randine wrote:
- Biggest political story of the season? - Coronavirus

I considered this one, but wasn't sure it was really a political issue. Still a valid call, since I think it will probably have the largest impact on the season when all is said and done. :thumbup:

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 2254
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Who will be WDC? Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? Merc
- Who will finish fourth? McLaren
- Surprise package? Williams
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Verstappen
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 0
- At which race will the WDC be decided? USA
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? Austria, China, Monaco, Spain
- Who will get the most penalty points? Perez
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None
- Biggest political story of the season? Just give me a sec to grab my tin foil hat here. Right. The revelation that the extent of Ferrari's creative engine tuning was enough for the FIA to have reasonable grounds to have them excluded from the championship but the FIA / LM put to Ferrari a deal they couldn't refuse including demanding a guarantee they allow the FIA / LM to pursue their agenda, including the redistribution of prize money, without Ferrari dragging their veto out of their pocket

_________________
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Abu Dhabi - 19) - 138 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Last edited by Jezza13 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 1392
Location: Kansas
JN23 wrote:
Time for a bit of fun so we can stop reading about whether races will go ahead, let's do some predictions for the upcoming season!

(some questions shamelessly stolen from last year's Race Fans 20 questions article)

- Who will be WDC? - Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? - Mercedes
- Who will finish fourth? - Racing Point
- Surprise package? - Williams
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? - Verstappen
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? - Sainz and Perez
- At which race will the WDC be decided? - Mexico
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? - Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? - Austria, China, and Monaco
- Who will get the most penalty points? - Magnussen
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? - None
- Biggest political story of the season? - Ferrari engine/FIA statement scandal

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 778
Location: Michigan, USA
- Who will be WDC? Lewis Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? Mercedes
- Who will finish fourth? McLaren
- Surprise package? Haas
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? George Russell
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 2
- At which race will the WDC be decided? Brazil
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Lewis Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? Austria, China, and Monaco
- Who will get the most penalty points? Kevin Magnussen
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None
- Biggest political story of the season? How the FIA have dealt with Ferrari's engine

_________________
Image
Qualifying Prediction Game 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Pick 10: 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd | 2019: 20th
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8233
Who will be WDC? - Ham
- Who will be WCC? - Merc
- Who will finish fourth? - RP
- Surprise package? - Renault
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? - Verstapen
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? - 3
- At which race will the WDC be decided? - Mathematically in Brazil, otherwise it is a done deal already!
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? - Ham
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All of them
- Who will get the most penalty points? - Grosjean
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? none
- Biggest political story of the season? - FIA/Ferrari & 2021 teams boycott


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7981
- Who will be WDC? Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? Ferrari
- Who will finish fourth? Renault
- Surprise package? Williams
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Perez
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 3
- At which race will the WDC be decided? Mexico
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All but China
- Who will get the most penalty points? Grosjean
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None
- Biggest political story of the season? The Italian GP goes ahead, however due to the increased quarantine measures nobody can get into the country, and Toro Rosso are unable to source a working engine. Therefore the only entrant is Ferrari, using last years car and engineers for drivers. They secure a 1-2 finish and go on to win the championship by 42 points.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8233
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
- Biggest political story of the season? The Italian GP goes ahead, however due to the increased quarantine measures nobody can get into the country, and Toro Rosso are unable to source a working engine. Therefore the only entrant is Ferrari, using last years car and engineers for drivers. They secure a 1-2 finish and go on to win the championship by 42 points.


Great prediction!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:08 am
Posts: 151
Jezza13 wrote:
Who will be WDC? Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? Merc
- Who will finish fourth? McLaren
- Surprise package? Williams
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Verstappen
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 0
- At which race will the WDC be decided? USA
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? Austria, China, Monaco, Spain
- Who will get the most penalty points? Perez
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None
- Biggest political story of the season? Just give me a sec to grab my tin foil hat here. Right. The revelation that the extent of Ferrari's creative engine tuning was enough for the FIA to have reasonable grounds to have them excluded from the championship but the FIA / LM put to Ferrari a deal they couldn't refuse including demanding a guarantee they allow the FIA / LM to pursue their agenda, including the redistribution of prize money, without Ferrari dragging their veto out of their pocket


+1

- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 am
Posts: 363
Looking at the races and impact of Covid 19.
Once there is local transmission of Covid-19, so far in most countries cases grow at a multiple of around 2.5x more cases each week. I will assume applying this growth rate to current local cases will calculate the maximum possible cases at a future date for a given country.

Australia - Confirmed, but expect record low crowds
Bahrain - Race without spectators. Only 1 week after Australia so not too much should change.
Vietnam - Only around 3 weeks away. Estimated cases by race day...around 200. Again- do not expect crowds
China - postponed
Holland - 82 cases now. Estimated cases by race day...between 1,000 and 10,000 ..in other words it could be worse than Italy is now. Questionable
Spain 1200 cases now. On this base, by race day over 1 million cases is possible. I assume drastic measures will keep actually figures far lower, but drastic measures will be needed and will impact having a race.
Monaco - surrounded by France, which is in a similar situation to Spain. My prediction: again, no race
.....
The pattern continues. The further into the future, the more difficult the predictions. But I think at this point expecting more than half of all races to take place seems very unlikely.

This will be the biggest political story of the season. I am unsure there will even be a world champion declared.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16923
iano wrote:
Looking at the races and impact of Covid 19.
Once there is local transmission of Covid-19, so far in most countries cases grow at a multiple of around 2.5x more cases each week. I will assume applying this growth rate to current local cases will calculate the maximum possible cases at a future date for a given country.

Australia - Confirmed, but expect record low crowds
Bahrain - Race without spectators. Only 1 week after Australia so not too much should change.
Vietnam - Only around 3 weeks away. Estimated cases by race day...around 200. Again- do not expect crowds
China - postponed
Holland - 82 cases now. Estimated cases by race day...between 1,000 and 10,000 ..in other words it could be worse than Italy is now. Questionable
Spain 1200 cases now. On this base, by race day over 1 million cases is possible. I assume drastic measures will keep actually figures far lower, but drastic measures will be needed and will impact having a race.
Monaco - surrounded by France, which is in a similar situation to Spain. My prediction: again, no race
.....
The pattern continues. The further into the future, the more difficult the predictions. But I think at this point expecting more than half of all races to take place seems very unlikely.

This will be the biggest political story of the season. I am unsure there will even be a world champion declared.


Lets see what happens. If we end up with all or at least most of Europe in the same boat then things may well open up regardless of the number of actual cases.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 34140
mikeyg123 wrote:
iano wrote:
Looking at the races and impact of Covid 19.
Once there is local transmission of Covid-19, so far in most countries cases grow at a multiple of around 2.5x more cases each week. I will assume applying this growth rate to current local cases will calculate the maximum possible cases at a future date for a given country.

Australia - Confirmed, but expect record low crowds
Bahrain - Race without spectators. Only 1 week after Australia so not too much should change.
Vietnam - Only around 3 weeks away. Estimated cases by race day...around 200. Again- do not expect crowds
China - postponed
Holland - 82 cases now. Estimated cases by race day...between 1,000 and 10,000 ..in other words it could be worse than Italy is now. Questionable
Spain 1200 cases now. On this base, by race day over 1 million cases is possible. I assume drastic measures will keep actually figures far lower, but drastic measures will be needed and will impact having a race.
Monaco - surrounded by France, which is in a similar situation to Spain. My prediction: again, no race
.....
The pattern continues. The further into the future, the more difficult the predictions. But I think at this point expecting more than half of all races to take place seems very unlikely.

This will be the biggest political story of the season. I am unsure there will even be a world champion declared.


Lets see what happens. If we end up with all or at least most of Europe in the same boat then things may well open up regardless of the number of actual cases.

Indeed, on another thought I wonder if anyone has given thought to the drivers themselves getting infected, missing races?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 4017
JN23 wrote:
Time for a bit of fun so we can stop reading about whether races will go ahead, let's do some predictions for the upcoming season!

(some questions shamelessly stolen from last year's Race Fans 20 questions article)

- Who will be WDC? Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? Mercedes
- Who will finish fourth? McLaren
- Surprise package? AlphaTauri
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Russell
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 3
- At which race will the WDC be decided? Japan
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All of them
- Who will get the most penalty points? Grosjean
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None
- Biggest political story of the season? The Pink W10

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 10029
- Who will be WDC? No one.
- Who will be WCC? No one.
- Who will finish fourth? No one.
- Surprise package? Racing point.
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Verstappen.
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 1
- At which race will the WDC be decided? It won't.
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Bottas
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All.
- Who will get the most penalty points? Kvyat.
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None.
- Biggest political story of the season? No champions will be crowned thanks to the Coronavirus preventing too many races to be held with full lineups.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:16 am
Posts: 6
- Who will be WDC? -Hamilton
- Who will be WCC? -Mercedes
- Who will finish fourth? -Racing Point
- Surprise package? -Racing Point
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? -Russell
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? -2 (Perez and Ricciardo)
- At which race will the WDC be decided? -Brazil
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? -Hamilton
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? -Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco
- Who will get the most penalty points? -Kyvat
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? -None
- Biggest political story of the season? -Record number of F1 races cancelled in a season due to Coronavirus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8233
Covalent wrote:
- Who will be WDC? No one.
- Who will be WCC? No one.
- Who will finish fourth? No one.
- Surprise package? Racing point.
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Verstappen.
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 1
- At which race will the WDC be decided? It won't.
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Bottas
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All.
- Who will get the most penalty points? Kvyat.
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None.
- Biggest political story of the season? No champions will be crowned thanks to the Coronavirus preventing too many races to be held with full lineups.


Super optimistic Cova, I love it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 10029
Siao7 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
- Who will be WDC? No one.
- Who will be WCC? No one.
- Who will finish fourth? No one.
- Surprise package? Racing point.
- Who will outqualify their teammate the most? Verstappen.
- How many non-top three podiums will there be? 1
- At which race will the WDC be decided? It won't.
- Which driver will get the most pole positions? Bottas
- Austria, Brazil, China, Monaco, Spain don't have contracts for 2021. Which of these will be on the calendar for 2022 by the end of the season? All.
- Who will get the most penalty points? Kvyat.
- First driver dropped for a race (if any)? None.
- Biggest political story of the season? No champions will be crowned thanks to the Coronavirus preventing too many races to be held with full lineups.


Super optimistic Cova, I love it!

Cheers, I'm just a glass half full type of guy :lol:

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 am
Posts: 363
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
iano wrote:
Looking at the races and impact of Covid 19.
Once there is local transmission of Covid-19, so far in most countries cases grow at a multiple of around 2.5x more cases each week. I will assume applying this growth rate to current local cases will calculate the maximum possible cases at a future date for a given country.

Australia - Confirmed, but expect record low crowds
Bahrain - Race without spectators. Only 1 week after Australia so not too much should change.
Vietnam - Only around 3 weeks away. Estimated cases by race day...around 200. Again- do not expect crowds
China - postponed
Holland - 82 cases now. Estimated cases by race day...between 1,000 and 10,000 ..in other words it could be worse than Italy is now. Questionable
Spain 1200 cases now. On this base, by race day over 1 million cases is possible. I assume drastic measures will keep actually figures far lower, but drastic measures will be needed and will impact having a race.
Monaco - surrounded by France, which is in a similar situation to Spain. My prediction: again, no race
.....
The pattern continues. The further into the future, the more difficult the predictions. But I think at this point expecting more than half of all races to take place seems very unlikely.

This will be the biggest political story of the season. I am unsure there will even be a world champion declared.


Lets see what happens. If we end up with all or at least most of Europe in the same boat then things may well open up regardless of the number of actual cases.

Indeed, on another thought I wonder if anyone has given thought to the drivers themselves getting infected, missing races?


No problem there......how hard can it be to turn a race suit into a hazmat suit?
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:20 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7733
Location: Michigan, USA
pokerman wrote:
Indeed, on another thought I wonder if anyone has given thought to the drivers themselves getting infected, missing races?

Considering the heavy demographic skew of the virus so far (seems to be comparatively very mild for those under about 40), the drivers aren't at serious risk. However, if one of them did get infected they would presumably fall afoul of quarantine regulations in several countries, so it's by no means out of the question.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:44 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7733
Location: Michigan, USA
Adro783 wrote:
- Biggest political story of the season? -Record number of F1 races cancelled in a season due to Coronavirus

Is this one already correct? Does anyone know what the record number of cancellations actually is?

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1634
Exediron wrote:
Adro783 wrote:
- Biggest political story of the season? -Record number of F1 races cancelled in a season due to Coronavirus

Is this one already correct? Does anyone know what the record number of cancellations actually is?


We're in for one hell of a story if there is anything bigger than coronavirus.

No idea about the record number of cancellations but considering the number of races has gradually risen over time, it's hard to believe there's been more than seven cancellations.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16923
We had 4 Grand Prix cancelled in 1955. I'd guess that was the leader until this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 2239
We have only had 2 cancelled so far, Australia and Monaco. All the others are currently 'postponed'.

Obviously, some of the postponed ones will be cancelled by the end of the season.

_________________
Top Three Team Champions 2017 (With Jezza13)
Group Pick 'Em Champion: 2016 & 2019


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:30 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7733
Location: Michigan, USA
Herb wrote:
We have only had 2 cancelled so far, Australia and Monaco. All the others are currently 'postponed'.

Obviously, some of the postponed ones will be cancelled by the end of the season.

Fair point. :thumbup:

... which leads to the slightly bleak 'guess how many races will take place in 2020' thread idea? :uhoh:

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 1413
Exediron wrote:
Herb wrote:
We have only had 2 cancelled so far, Australia and Monaco. All the others are currently 'postponed'.

Obviously, some of the postponed ones will be cancelled by the end of the season.

Fair point. :thumbup:

... which leads to the slightly bleak 'guess how many races will take place in 2020' thread idea? :uhoh:

I think Zandvoort will probably go. The noises about rescheduling don't sound terribly positive and maybe there is something slightly different about delaying the debut of a track for a year as opposed to cancelling an existing annual event.

_________________
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2020 predictions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:16 am
Posts: 6
Exediron wrote:
Adro783 wrote:
- Biggest political story of the season? -Record number of F1 races cancelled in a season due to Coronavirus

Is this one already correct? Does anyone know what the record number of cancellations actually is?

I hope I end up being wrong Exediron, and there is still plenty of time for that to be the case. The F1 powers that be will try their hardest to prevent cancellations but I feel its going to be tough going. It'll be interesting to see how they juggle the race calendar later in the season if they do get going.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exediron and 87 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group