Jenson's Understeer wrote: Jezza13 wrote: Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:Agree with all this.
Macca offers nothing beneficial to Ricciardo. He's on record as saying he's after a championship and not a pay day and if he goes to macca then he might as well say goodbye to any chance of a WC for good.
Agree about Alonso as well. I think he's as good as gone.
Maybe it's just me but i'm finding this Ricciardo contract thing a tad strange.
As it stands now he has a total of one confirmed offer on the table and that's stay at RB. Neither Merc, Ferrari or Renault (I include Renault as they're a works team and I think it's obvious that if he goes there it'd be as #1 driver). has publicly confirmed or denied having interest in Ricciardo.
You'd think his management team would certainly have had some discussions with rival teams at the minimum just to get an idea of where they're at and the fact that he hasn't re-signed for RB tells me there is interest, be it genuine or otherwise, from at least 1 of those 3 teams.
Now it might be just Merc using him a leverage in their negotiations with Hamilton or it could be Ferrari doing a bit of manoeuvring to open the gates for him to go there but to me its strange that the rumour mill around what he's doing has been incredibly, and unusually quite.
My feeling is this is more down to the individual situations at Mercedes and Ferrari than it is a reflection of the opinion/interest of those two teams in Ricciardo. I suspect both have had some sort of discussion with Ricciardo's management team because you never know what'll happen, but as things stand Mercedes seem happy to keep Hamilton and Bottas (especially as the latter has been close enough to Hamilton to quieten a lot of the speculation about potentially being replaced for 2019) and Ferrari seem willing to retain the Vettel/Raikkonen partnership for another year. So there is no real need for them to aggressively, publicly pursue Ricciardo when it seems like neither is strongly considering a change of driver anyway. And even if either was looking at dropping a Finn, there is a French-speaking youngster who they might choose to promote rather than going out and signing Ricciardo.
As for Ricciardo not re-signing at Red Bull before now, my guess would be it is largely down to wanting to know what route they're going with the engine supplier. I'm sure he's had dialogue with Red Bull's management in the build-up to Canada to get an indication of what their thinking was, but it sounds like Red Bull themselves were waiting to see the relative performance of the upgrades in Canada before committing to one or the other. I would imagine Ricciardo knew about the decision last week before it became public knowledge, but until that point I can't imagine he was going to make a decision regardless of what other interest there was.
You might be right JU and my tin foil hat's on a little tight tonight but my question is if that Merc & Ferrari have said thanks but no thanks, and the only offer he has is for RB, what's the point in dragging out re-signing until their engine situation's sorted?
What was he going to do either way RB went? Why wait to sign when there is only 1 door open and the rest have been firmly shut?
But then again I could be adding 2 + 2 and coming up with 6
It's a fair point, but it does hinge on the idea that both Mercedes and Ferrari have definitively told him they're not interested. At this stage in the season I'd be very surprised if that were the case for both of them when neither has confirmed their line-up for 2019.
This leads back to my first point that it would seem that at least one other team is showing at least some interest, for one reason or another, in signing him
Jenson's Understeer wrote:Also, we have no idea what Ricciardo's opinion of Honda is. It could be that his view aligns with Red Bull's and that he considers them a better option going forward, which only enhances the chance he'll remain where he is. It could also be the opposite and by ditching Renault engines, Red Bull actually make the prospect of staying less appealing to Daniel.
Maybe but again, if RB have the only offer on the table, no matter what his thoughts are his choice would be to stay with RB or leave F1 altogether and lets face it, if RB know their offer is the only one Dan has, and they already have Verstappen locked away and have Sainz available if Ricciardo leaves, it doesn't exactly leave him in a position of strength.
Jenson's Understeer wrote:Ultimately, Daniel's taking a leap of faith whatever he does now. He's going to have to take a decision a long while in advance of knowing how the Honda/Renault engines will compare in 2019 so whatever he does, he could end up making the wrong choice. I'd argue his best choice might be signing a two/three year extension with Red Bull, but insisting on an out-clause like Vettel had related to Red Bull's position in the WCC next year. That way if Honda go backwards and Red Bull find themselves 4th or lower in the WCC, Ricciardo can escape, and if Honda continue to improve he's at the right team.
I'd suggest that if RB are his only choice he may not be in a position to dictate terms of that magnitude..
My belief is Merc is definitely a no go. That door is firmly shut.
Ferrari still a slim possibility and if he can wrangle a contract at joint #1 with Vettel, go for it.
If he can get #1 status at Renault, that'd be next best after Ferrari and maybe even a better long term option.
Staying at RB Honda would be the go if the 3 options above were not available.
The more I think about it though the more appealing #1 at Renault seems to me if that's an option for him.