Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
User avatar
Laura23
Posts: 8767
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Location: London

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Laura23 »

RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


I guarantee that he'll have an iPhone or s3 in his pocket for personal use. You'd be crazy to try and use a blackberry as your main phone these days. Nasty, nasty devices.

I have one. :cry: I just wanted a phone with a normal keyboard for a change. Worst idea I've ever had. Can't wait to upgrade in the summer to the iPhone 5. Bot gonna like the Merc tie in makes the decision even easier for me.

As for BB10, it's been slated as too slow already and although the new phones are supposed to be alright the OS ruins them.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

User avatar
Laura23
Posts: 8767
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Location: London

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Laura23 »

Cozz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:Looks chunky and awfully like last years car. I thought someone said they knew Merc were going radical?

Anyway fitting BlackBerry sponsor the team, mediocrity sponsoring mediocrity.


you know every human being on the planet has a smartphone or a tablet or both , and blackberry happens to produce both of them , if they could get a chunk of that market from apple and samsung , it would do wonders

BlackBerry would have to make a half decent phone first. Given the BlackBerry Ten OS that's just been brought out has been slated by most I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. The market will be Apple and Samsung dominated for a while yet regardless of this Merc sponsorship deal.

Still one wonders what will break down or crash first, Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


Slated by most? What does that mean. I'm a developer and been using the Alpha device for about half a year and it's better than the Iphone5 by far. Best OS in the market

It is average at best from the reviews I've seen. No where near the iPhone 5 either. BB 10 won't save the company, it may sustain it for a while but it won't save it. They needed something competition beating and they haven't done it.

Sounds awfully like the predicament their new partner is in this year funnily enough...
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

stevey
Posts: 1610
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by stevey »

and back to discussing the car!!!!!

Looks like good solid development has taken place and the car will be fairly competitive.

User avatar
Placid
Posts: 2467
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Placid »

Image
Wolverine: Watch me hack into the Superdome power core.

Brawn: Did you use that Blackberry to shut down the stadium?

Wolverine: I was invited to the Superbowl, but people do not recognize and did not let me touch the Lombardi.

Brawn: Next time, apply for an American Express card!!!! ;)
Last edited by Placid on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M44
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by M44 »

Gary Andersons take on the new car..


Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst
"At first glance I can't see where the 'step change in performance' Mercedes are talking about is going to come from with their new car.

"There are a few changes here and there, but not necessarily in ways that look like they will be a big advantage.

"One area that is definitely working a bit harder is the front brake ducts, which are more elaborate.

"The nose has the allowed 'vanity panel' to hide the height difference between nose tip and chassis. If you put little ridges on either side of the nose, that can help prevent air spilling over the side. But the way Mercedes have designed their nose it looks like it will exacerbate that problem, which affects the aerodynamics detrimentally.

"The sidepods have a raised outer edge. It's aimed at getting air to the rear but it creates lift, and then there are turning vanes on top to reduce the lift. So that confuses me a little.

"They are trying to use the exhaust for aerodynamic effect at the back, but there is an awful lot of bodywork back there which will block the airflow and reduce the effectiveness of the 'coke-bottle' shape, which is what gives overall downforce, as opposed to the on-throttle downforce you get from the exhausts.

"Unlike the McLaren, which looked a step forward in every area, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm seeing anything too exciting about the Mercedes."

Slightly worrying..

Haribo
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Haribo »

Malkiiin wrote:Gary Andersons take on the new car..


Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst
"At first glance I can't see where the 'step change in performance' Mercedes are talking about is going to come from with their new car.

"There are a few changes here and there, but not necessarily in ways that look like they will be a big advantage.

"One area that is definitely working a bit harder is the front brake ducts, which are more elaborate.

"The nose has the allowed 'vanity panel' to hide the height difference between nose tip and chassis. If you put little ridges on either side of the nose, that can help prevent air spilling over the side. But the way Mercedes have designed their nose it looks like it will exacerbate that problem, which affects the aerodynamics detrimentally.

"The sidepods have a raised outer edge. It's aimed at getting air to the rear but it creates lift, and then there are turning vanes on top to reduce the lift. So that confuses me a little.

"They are trying to use the exhaust for aerodynamic effect at the back, but there is an awful lot of bodywork back there which will block the airflow and reduce the effectiveness of the 'coke-bottle' shape, which is what gives overall downforce, as opposed to the on-throttle downforce you get from the exhausts.

"Unlike the McLaren, which looked a step forward in every area, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm seeing anything too exciting about the Mercedes."

Slightly worrying..

Anderson said last year McLaren got it wrong...
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso

hd23
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by hd23 »

So according to Gary Anderson, the Mercedes aero team still fails

User avatar
Sawyer
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:24 pm
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Sawyer »

It looks like a platypus. Hopefully it's going to be faster though!

User avatar
Blackhander
Posts: 1849
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Blackhander »

Strange... They've somehow turned one of the ugliest cars from last season into one of the most attractive this year. I still don't like the livery though, it's brand new and the silver and spearmint green already looks dull and faded, a major change is needed to fix that up, doubt I will ever see it though, Mercedes will probably leave f1 before they get around to changing that.

I am looking forward to seeing how their exhaust set up pans out, the enormous undercut has the potential to get huge amounts of air over the rear cleanly. But does it look like they are blowing the brake ducts rather than the diffuser area? That seems risky. It would take a very well designed break duct to produce a performance margin better than sealing in that diffuser
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

User avatar
jammin78
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Location: Wrexham, UK

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by jammin78 »

I'm sure Gary knows what he's talking about, but to say after seeing the car for less than a day that it's not taken a step forwards is jumping the gun a little. I'll wait until I see Australia.
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."

VDV23
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by VDV23 »

Haribo wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:Gary Andersons take on the new car..


Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst
"At first glance I can't see where the 'step change in performance' Mercedes are talking about is going to come from with their new car.

"There are a few changes here and there, but not necessarily in ways that look like they will be a big advantage.

"One area that is definitely working a bit harder is the front brake ducts, which are more elaborate.

"The nose has the allowed 'vanity panel' to hide the height difference between nose tip and chassis. If you put little ridges on either side of the nose, that can help prevent air spilling over the side. But the way Mercedes have designed their nose it looks like it will exacerbate that problem, which affects the aerodynamics detrimentally.

"The sidepods have a raised outer edge. It's aimed at getting air to the rear but it creates lift, and then there are turning vanes on top to reduce the lift. So that confuses me a little.

"They are trying to use the exhaust for aerodynamic effect at the back, but there is an awful lot of bodywork back there which will block the airflow and reduce the effectiveness of the 'coke-bottle' shape, which is what gives overall downforce, as opposed to the on-throttle downforce you get from the exhausts.

"Unlike the McLaren, which looked a step forward in every area, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm seeing anything too exciting about the Mercedes."

Slightly worrying..

Anderson said last year McLaren got it wrong...


I thought his main point about the McLaren was that it has more limited potential for development? Which has been confirmed by their design this year.

chrcoluk
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by chrcoluk »

Benici wrote:this is the live launch stream apparently. Pretty low key by the looks (and sounds) of things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG11xoqP3jc&newstate=7d4166d79b72c361cadb97852aeb9180


live launch but video is private?

wtf

stevey
Posts: 1610
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by stevey »

the live launch was an hour ago and was open then, theyve probably locked it now

chrcoluk
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by chrcoluk »

where do I watch the recording?

Adaemus
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Adaemus »

So...everybody's talking about Blackberry and not the car - I'd say that's some pretty bloody successful sponsorship right there!
;)

Car looks interesting, really short nose, hopefully to help with agility in the corners. As an aside, bloody good to see an F1 car on track at last, instead of these daft launch events!
:D
Image

stevey
Posts: 1610
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by stevey »

Theres a small video of it driving on he mercedes website, were hamilton is recording it on the blackberry

god i miss that noise of an f1 car

nike2die4
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:16 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by nike2die4 »

Cozz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:Looks chunky and awfully like last years car. I thought someone said they knew Merc were going radical?

Anyway fitting BlackBerry sponsor the team, mediocrity sponsoring mediocrity.


you know every human being on the planet has a smartphone or a tablet or both , and blackberry happens to produce both of them , if they could get a chunk of that market from apple and samsung , it would do wonders

BlackBerry would have to make a half decent phone first. Given the BlackBerry Ten OS that's just been brought out has been slated by most I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. The market will be Apple and Samsung dominated for a while yet regardless of this Merc sponsorship deal.

Still one wonders what will break down or crash first, Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


Slated by most? What does that mean. I'm a developer and been using the Alpha device for about half a year and it's better than the Iphone5 by far. Best OS in the market

Here is someone who knows his stuff...BB is going nowhere.

Haribo
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Haribo »

Who cares about mobile phones?
I don't like the Apple( too much contol over the users) stuff & BlackBerry I don't like, too
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso

User avatar
Johnston
Posts: 6587
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Johnston »

Haribo wrote:Who cares about mobile phones?
I don't like the Apple( too much contol over the users) stuff & BlackBerry I don't like, too


For once we agree :lol: :lol:


The only people I know who like their Blackberries are on the wrong end of teenagedom and still going through puberty. .
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

User avatar
jammin78
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Location: Wrexham, UK

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by jammin78 »

We should all consider ourselves blessed to have witnessed the moment Johnston and Haribo agree... beautiful.
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."

User avatar
Sevenfest
Posts: 1252
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Sevenfest »

Johnston wrote:
Haribo wrote:Who cares about mobile phones?
I don't like the Apple( too much contol over the users) stuff & BlackBerry I don't like, too


For once we agree :lol: :lol:


The only people I know who like their Blackberries are on the wrong end of teenagedom and still going through puberty. .


:-((

I liked my old one, so much easier to type long emails and messages. Touch screens suck balls for typing long messages.

Other than that though...No comparison.

User avatar
Johnston
Posts: 6587
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Johnston »

Sevenfest wrote:
:-((

I liked my old one, so much easier to type long emails and messages. Touch screens suck balls for typing long messages.

Other than that though...No comparison.



I've never used one myself so don't know. It was just an observation. My last job all the Managers were given them for company phones and hated them. Most swapped to Nokias they got themselves and anyone else I know above the age of responsibility that got one has hated theirs.

I used to have a HTC with a touchscreen and a slidey pad keyboard. Now that was a doggies balls phone.
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

User avatar
Sevenfest
Posts: 1252
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Sevenfest »

Johnston wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:
:-((

I liked my old one, so much easier to type long emails and messages. Touch screens suck balls for typing long messages.

Other than that though...No comparison.



I've never used one myself so don't know. It was just an observation. My last job all the Managers were given them for company phones and hated them. Most swapped to Nokias they got themselves and anyone else I know above the age of responsibility that got one has hated theirs.

I used to have a HTC with a touchscreen and a slidey pad keyboard. Now that was a doggies balls phone.



My contract comes up for renewal this month, think I need something like that.
...wow this is a tangent :lol:

OT: I quite like the new merc. Pity about the livery staying the same again but I'm curious to see how the back end does.

Fat Albert
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Fat Albert »

RickM wrote:Given BlackBerry's financial situation I doubt they were bringing enough money to make demands like that. They have been in pretty serious financial difficulty for a few years now, and their products just arent selling. If the BB10 flops (which its obviously expected to do) it'll likely be the end for them.

I hope you are more knowledgeable about F1 than you are about mobile phone technology

Image

Apple's market capitalisation has fallen more than Microsoft is worth in the past 6 months, while RIMs share price has more than doubled, admittedly from a low point.

Corporates will NEVER adopt iOS because the OS prevents remote support by design, you try guiding 1,000 field sales people through a roll out issue on the phone rather than taking control and doing it yourself.
Sebastien Vettel, the youngest driver ever to have the fastest car in F1 for four consecutive years

User avatar
jammin78
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Location: Wrexham, UK

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by jammin78 »

Dalemac wrote:Seeing Lewis in the Merc is a bit strange.

Image

Does... not... compute....

That helmet doesn't work does it? At least we'll be able to spot the difference between Nico and Lewis... the one that looks like it belongs in a Merc is Rosberg, the helmet which looks out of place is Hamilton.
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."

Deep_blue
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Deep_blue »

Is it just me or the car looks too bulky? It doesn´t have a sleek, fluid shape and looks rather fat and heavy

User avatar
Covalent
Posts: 10074
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Covalent »

Rosberg doesn't expect the car to be among the fastest in the first races.
http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorspor ... 99920.html
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

User avatar
MistaVega23
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by MistaVega23 »

Dalemac wrote:Seeing Lewis in the Merc is a bit strange.

Image


The car doesn't look too bad from that angle. Other shots make it look minging.

Good to see Lewis back in the car though - 39 days baby!
#KeepFightingMichael

Fat Albert
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Fat Albert »

Dare I suggest that the W04's nose job is by Nicole Scherzinger's plastic surgeon
Sebastien Vettel, the youngest driver ever to have the fastest car in F1 for four consecutive years

User avatar
Covalent
Posts: 10074
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Covalent »

MistaVega23 wrote:
Dalemac wrote:Seeing Lewis in the Merc is a bit strange.

Image


The car doesn't look too bad from that angle. Other shots make it look minging.

Good to see Lewis back in the car though - 39 days baby!

Is that Lewis and not Nico?


And so it begins!! :x
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

User avatar
rife_hypocricy
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Sheffield, S. Yorks

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by rife_hypocricy »

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Clarky
Posts: 4524
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Location: LONDON...!

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Clarky »


Ev0lutionz
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Ev0lutionz »

So how do we tell who is Lewis and Nico? Not the Scherzinger definitely.. LOL.

User avatar
Johnston
Posts: 6587
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Johnston »

Covalent wrote:Is that Lewis and not Nico?


And so it begins!! :x



On race day look at the T cam not the Helmet ;)
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

A2jdl
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by A2jdl »

Johnston wrote:
Covalent wrote:Is that Lewis and not Nico?


And so it begins!! :x



On race day look at the T cam not the Helmet ;)

i can tell by the Helmet
But who is the No.1 then ?

User avatar
Alienturnedhuman
Posts: 3845
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Deep_blue wrote:Is it just me or the car looks too bulky? It doesn´t have a sleek, fluid shape and looks rather fat and heavy

Indeed, it seems Mercedes are worse at packaging than the people who sell SD cards.

User avatar
Grosjean
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:26 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Grosjean »


User avatar
RickM
Posts: 2706
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Location: Herts, UK

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by RickM »

nike2die4 wrote:
Cozz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:Looks chunky and awfully like last years car. I thought someone said they knew Merc were going radical?

Anyway fitting BlackBerry sponsor the team, mediocrity sponsoring mediocrity.


you know every human being on the planet has a smartphone or a tablet or both , and blackberry happens to produce both of them , if they could get a chunk of that market from apple and samsung , it would do wonders

BlackBerry would have to make a half decent phone first. Given the BlackBerry Ten OS that's just been brought out has been slated by most I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. The market will be Apple and Samsung dominated for a while yet regardless of this Merc sponsorship deal.

Still one wonders what will break down or crash first, Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


Slated by most? What does that mean. I'm a developer and been using the Alpha device for about half a year and it's better than the Iphone5 by far. Best OS in the market

Here is someone who knows his stuff...BB is going nowhere.



Not really. I'm also a developer and I too have used the Alpha. Not pretty. Sure its had a UI overhaul but if you seriously think thats going to make or break a phone you know squat about the market. Ecosystem is all that matters, and Blackberry dont have one. Their actions over the last few years alienated developers to the point where a lot of us simply dont bother as you make very little money back from your investment in the platform. In contrast, your profits are HUGE on iOS and Android (like several thousand percent more than on blackberry).

Without developers, its dead in the water. So far very few big developers have committed to the BB10.
Image

Parker
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:03 am

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by Parker »

Image

User avatar
RickM
Posts: 2706
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Location: Herts, UK

Re: Mercedes F1 W04 online reveal

Post by RickM »

Fat Albert wrote:
RickM wrote:Given BlackBerry's financial situation I doubt they were bringing enough money to make demands like that. They have been in pretty serious financial difficulty for a few years now, and their products just arent selling. If the BB10 flops (which its obviously expected to do) it'll likely be the end for them.

I hope you are more knowledgeable about F1 than you are about mobile phone technology

Image

Apple's market capitalisation has fallen more than Microsoft is worth in the past 6 months, while RIMs share price has more than doubled, admittedly from a low point.

Corporates will NEVER adopt iOS because the OS prevents remote support by design, you try guiding 1,000 field sales people through a roll out issue on the phone rather than taking control and doing it yourself.

Blimy thats a bit of a skewed statistic there isnt it. If you knew anything about Apple you'd know that their market growth is sporadic, but stable. The decline always happens when there is a gab in release cycles. Pull that graph up when the next iPhone is released and see what happens ;) Also dont forget that Apple just had a major corp reshuffle, ditching a number of long-term executives and reassigning roles - this causes concern in investors, quite understandably.

Lets look at it in a slightly more fair way than the last 6 months shall we, where BB have had a lot of hype thrown their way.

The last 5 years:
Image

Image

Also to say corporations will never adopt iOS is laughable. iOS enterprise usage has seen massive growth. The iPad has greatly helped this (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ipad-driv ... 00641.html). Dont forget that an iOS rollout is actually gherkin easy thanks to the remote tools provided (and yes, I have used them).
Image

Post Reply