Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 31

painless

mars mission

Post by painless »

The UFO thread got me thinking about proposed manned missions to Mars. There are at least two proposals out there one of which features a one-way trip. Basically if you are selected the idea is to fly you to Mars where you colonise the planet. There is no planned return trip. Do you sign up?

Mr-E

Re: mars mission

Post by Mr-E »

Nope. Why leave this beautiful planet for a place with nothing on it? And imagine how many F1 races one would miss.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 »

Yeah, why not :) also if you went to mars, whatever the result you would go down in the history books :)
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.

moby

Post by moby »

Mr-E wrote:Nope. Why leave this beautiful planet ?.

Because it is all we have. If its gone, so are we. Establishing a base on another planer doubles our chances of survival.

I would expand the question above to state that if I could have my 'mind' transplanted into an Inter Stella ship, I would go for it even though I know there would be no return nor would probably ever speak directly to a human again.

There would soon be a few min, then hours and eventually days and weeks delay in radio messages, but I would go 'because it is there'

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Mr-E wrote:Nope. Why leave this beautiful planet for a place with nothing on it? And imagine how many F1 races one would miss.

I believe Bernie wants a race there for 2016.
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Seanie wrote:
Mr-E wrote:Nope. Why leave this beautiful planet for a place with nothing on it? And imagine how many F1 races one would miss.

That is not true. He just started the rumours to pressurize Jupiter to pay more.

moby

Post by moby »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Seanie wrote:

That is not true. He just started the rumours to pressurize Jupiter to pay more.

I think the American series are going for Saturn, it is an oval

vikz22

Post by vikz22 »

moby wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Seanie wrote:

Pluto was the classic circuit that everyone liked, but its been permanently dropped from the system after the rebranding

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

I think it would depend on when the technology is ready. When I spoke to Jay Honeycutt and Michelle Ham a couple of months ago, they seemed to think manned flights to Mars were about 15-20 years away from being commonplace. 40 years old is about the right age for an astronaut, so why not?

I'd not like to be the first guy to do it though, there's a bit of a curse associated with first spaceflights. Yuri Gagarin died 7 years after his flight, Apollo 1 killed its crew in a fire, both of the first two space shuttles (Columbia, Challenger) exploded. I'd like to make sure they were absolutely sure they were not sending me into space on a 'well lets see what happens' mission.

moby

Post by moby »

huggybear wrote:I think it would depend on when the technology is ready. When I spoke to Jay Honeycutt and Michelle Ham a couple of months ago, they seemed to think manned flights to Mars were about 15-20 years away from being commonplace. 40 years old is about the right age for an astronaut, so why not?

I'd not like to be the first guy to do it though, there's a bit of a curse associated with first spaceflights. Yuri Gagarin died 7 years after his flight, Apollo 1 killed its crew in a fire, both of the first two space shuttles (Columbia, Challenger) exploded. I'd like to make sure they were absolutely sure they were not sending me into space on a 'well lets see what happens' mission.

I suspect there will be several non manned missions first, then some to load up what is required, possibly on Phobos, then people.

You hear of Zubrins mars express?

One option is as he says to send automated units first, so there will be shelter air and water waiting when people arrive.

Edit, mars express=if NASA were to be given the go-ahead, an effort on the scale of the Apollo project could initiate a sustained human presence on Mars within 12 years and for under $30 billion, using mostly off-the-shelf components

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

vikz22 wrote:
moby wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Seanie wrote:

Pluto was the classic circuit that everyone liked, but its been permanently dropped from the system after the rebranding

:lol:

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

You need big all hail the mods balls to do this.

You would however, be remembered until the death of the human race. You'd be as famous as Gagarin or Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins. You'd probably be more famous than even Grissom/White and Chaffee. But those last three also remind us all of the truly dangerous mission it would be.

You'd be spending such a long time in a confined space. Your body would suffer even with the exercise regime that astronauts do on the ISS and the like. You could have cancer growing in your body or some other, as yet undetectable, illness that means you won't actually survive that journey but that you might survive if you did not go. You'd never see your friends again. You'd never see your family again. You'd never be able to touch this planet again. You'd never get to see the stars for the same point of view again (they'd look similar given the distances I suppose but it would still be different. You'd never get to swim in the sea. You'd never get to do so many things. If you plan on colonising a place, I almost feel it would be unethical to start a family there. To raise kids like that. But most of all, I couldn't do it because I'd be pretty terrified of all the things that could go wrong. I'd miss so many things. I'd never get to play a new videogame. Never see a new movie. Never see another F1 race. Never get to go to another F1 race. Never get to go clubbing. Never get drunk. Never smoke a cigar. Never open a new book. Never open an old book. Never see a sculpture or a piece of art that can blow you away. I couldn't do it. You'd need such utter drive and determination and a yearning to explore and to venture out into the unknown.

I think the thing I'd miss most. Never feeling the weather. I love it when it is sunny and you just lie back on the grass and feel the sunlight on your face. I love when it pours and you can just tilt your head back, rain pounding off your face and you just feel so all hail the mods alive. I love when it snows and you hear that lovely crunchy sound of snow compacting as you walk. I love the smell of really cold, crisp air.

minchy

Post by minchy »

vikz22 wrote:
moby wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Seanie wrote:

:lol:
but no ones mentioned anything coming up on uranus in the foreseeable future?
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

Alienturnedhuman

minchy wrote: :lol:

We know that that track ends up covered in skid marks and the Klingons always win.

vikz22

Post by vikz22 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
minchy wrote: :lol:

We know that that track ends up covered in skid marks and the Klingons always win.

Well Uranus is meant to be on this year, but they are a little behind in the construction

jimmyj

Post by jimmyj »

Two comments with regard to this thread:

1. No way would I go. Too happy here on Terra Firma
2. Hahahahahaha about the responses.

beyamei

Post by beyamei »

When I'm done with my business here on Earth then yes. I've always said that I must go to outer space at least once before I die. I don't care about a return trip.
VettelRaikkonenNasr

CarlPotter

Post by CarlPotter »

My initial thought was "hell yeah", because it would be exciting and fascinating and you'd go down in history. Then I thought about it more and if I couldn't take my wife, friends and family along then I wouldn't enjoy it at all. So I voted no.

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

mac_d wrote:You need big all hail the mods balls to do this.

You would however, be remembered until the death of the human race. You'd be as famous as Gagarin or Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins. You'd probably be more famous than even Grissom/White and Chaffee.

You dont need "big all hail the mods balls", what you basically need is having no brain or no love for your life.
It doesn't matter if you're famous... you are dead anyway. :lol:

raceman

Post by raceman »

There's one planned Mars mission that was accepting applications for a small application fee...Amazing how many people (I think 100k?) fell for this scam.

The technology doesn't exist to sustain life on Mars. In any case, I'd be more interested in exploring the depths of Earth than any one-way ticket to a dustbin. Honestly, I think the only people who are interested in going are people who are disillusioned with life and think magically things will be better on a different planet.

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

raceman wrote:There's one planned Mars mission that was accepting applications for a small application fee...Amazing how many people (I think 100k?) fell for this scam.

The technology doesn't exist to sustain life on Mars. In any case, I'd be more interested in exploring the depths of Earth than any one-way ticket to a dustbin. Honestly, I think the only people who are interested in going are people who are disillusioned with life and think magically things will be better on a different planet.

Actually, technology doesn't exist yet to even sustain 'travel' to Mars.
Apparently religious people didn't like my signature, hah! Don't read it if you are so offended by it.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

moby

Post by moby »

sultanofhyd wrote:
raceman wrote:There's one planned Mars mission that was accepting applications for a small application fee...Amazing how many people (I think 100k?) fell for this scam.

In Theory, all they had to do was use a shuttle to shove the space station in the right direction. (ignore time constraints)
as the orbits part, the stores they would need could be sent directly to Mars obit via a different route to be there when they arrive.

I think the crippler would be radiation shielding. One option would be to have a chamber within the water tank and when high levels were detected/forecast the crew would crawl in to this.

Getting back mind may be more difficult :]

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

A mission to Mars with no return ?

Send me there with April, May and June...
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Porsan

Post by Porsan »

sultanofhyd wrote:

I'm not an expert on space, so I could be wrong, but I think it's more a question of budget than a question of technology itself.
I'm a racing driver. Always was, always will be.

minchy

Post by minchy »

moby wrote:
sultanofhyd wrote:

In Theory, all they had to do was use a shuttle to shove the space station in the right direction. (ignore time constraints)
as the orbits part, the stores they would need could be sent directly to Mars obit via a different route to be there when they arrive.

I think the crippler would be radiation shielding. One option would be to have a chamber within the water tank and when high levels were detected/forecast the crew would crawl in to this.

I no expert on space either, but this is what I was thinking as well when I saw the idea of simply pushing the ISS towards Mars. I've seen interviews with Cosmonauts and Russian scientists where they say that they didn't go to the moon because of a massive layer of radiation surrounding Earth and they could see no way through it safely. This could be just their idea to undermine the Apollo missions and stir up more conspiracy theories, or it could be a genuine reason. From watching and reading sci-fi (I know it's not real btw) there are a lot of examples of issues with radiation in space shown, and although it's fiction, a decent sci-fi author does know a little about space from research etc so if anyone could enlighten me, I would be grateful.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

moby

Post by moby »

minchy wrote:
moby wrote:
sultanofhyd wrote:

I no expert on space either, but this is what I was thinking as well when I saw the idea of simply pushing the ISS towards Mars. I've seen interviews with Cosmonauts and Russian scientists where they say that they didn't go to the moon because of a massive layer of radiation surrounding Earth and they could see no way through it safely. This could be just their idea to undermine the Apollo missions and stir up more conspiracy theories, or it could be a genuine reason. From watching and reading sci-fi (I know it's not real btw) there are a lot of examples of issues with radiation in space shown, and although it's fiction, a decent sci-fi author does know a little about space from research etc so if anyone could enlighten me, I would be grateful.

You mean the Van Allen belt?. It (they) dont actually 'have' radiation, it is just that the magnetic field of the earth, that protects us here, sort of bunches up what it deflects into a sort of shell. Like a stone in a stream.

Depending on who's reports you read, it should be possible to send people to Mars and only get a lifetimes safe dose of radiation.

This however leaves them fresh landed on Mars with no spare :]

edit

Just googled and found this interesting

http://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/weekly/3Page7.pdf

I have had 11 'scans', which apparently puts me in exactly the same place :uhoh:

Alienturnedhuman

The technology to send people to Venus and back has existed since the 1970s. The manufacturer for the Saturn V rocket proposed refitting the configuration used for the moon landings with a habitation module for a crew to survive in for a trip to Venus. There would not have been a landing craft though, it would have just flown to Venus, orbited, and then come back.

It was never pursued by NASA, it was just done by the Saturn V manufacturer in an attempt to get NASA to buy some more from them, to prove the vehicle could do more than just go to the moon or Skylab.

moby

Post by moby »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:The technology to send people to Venus and back has existed since the 1970s. The manufacturer for the Saturn V rocket proposed refitting the configuration used for the moon landings with a habitation module for a crew to survive in for a trip to Venus. There would not have been a landing craft though, it would have just flown to Venus, orbited, and then come back.

It was never pursued by NASA, it was just done by the Saturn V manufacturer in an attempt to get NASA to buy some more from them, to prove the vehicle could do more than just go to the moon or Skylab.

The advantage the Mars trip has is that it would not have to take a vehicle to make the return trip. If they replaced the weight of this vehicle with water, it would probably be enough shielding for 'normal' time. If the sun decided not to cooperate they are toast anyway.

There is plenty of water on Mars, and sunlight to electrolyze gases from it. The soil seems to be able to grow plants, and is a good shield to put over living areas, so with advanced hydroponics, they should be OK

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

I don't think they will do it this century. I think we are heading for world war 3 first. :-((

Kolby

Post by Kolby »

You would however, be remembered until the death of the human race. You'd be as famous as Gagarin or Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins.

Dude you didn't mention Gagarin's friend, Vladamir Komarov! :( Cmon dude he's just as brave as these guys. To answer the question, NO I won't go to Mars I still have lots of things to do here(Earth) inshallah
Even the best of drivers crash, stay safe and be responsible!

moby

Post by moby »

Kolby wrote:

You would however, be remembered until the death of the human race. You'd be as famous as Gagarin or Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins.

Dude you didn't mention Gagarin's friend, Vladamir Komarov! :( Cmon dude he's just as brave as these guys. To answer the question, NO I won't go to Mars I still have lots of things to do here(Earth) inshallah

That final salute got me thinking. I am not being religion specific here, but if you are on earth and pray, you are one among 6 billion voices. If you go to mars, you would be one of 6. Would you get a better reception?

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

moby wrote:That final salute got me thinking. I am not being religion specific here, but if you are on earth and pray, you are one among 6 billion voices. If you go to mars, you would be one of 6. Would you get a better reception?

If you are praying, something must have gone wrong, so the other five would be praying with you, so on the bright side, from a religious perspective, the local church would be full, for once.

moby

Post by moby »

runningman67 wrote:
moby wrote:That final salute got me thinking. I am not being religion specific here, but if you are on earth and pray, you are one among 6 billion voices. If you go to mars, you would be one of 6. Would you get a better reception?

If you are praying, something must have gone wrong, so the other five would be praying with you, so on the bright side, from a religious perspective, the local church would be full, for once.

There are people who actually pray even if the world is not coming to an end mind :twisted:

Alaaddin

Post by Alaaddin »

It is better to be in Earth and being hopeful of going there than going Mars and being hopeful of returning here.
109_6 For you is your faith, and for me, my faith.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

minchy wrote:
moby wrote:
sultanofhyd wrote:

It could be this: http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/08/ ... or-apollo/

tl;dr: Due to nuclear testing in high atmosphere the orbit was once deemed unsafe for humans. NASA decided to ignore that hoping that the radiation will fade away during Apollo missions and the orbit indeed turned to be safe after all.
eeee