Webber on topgear

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Walterf1

Webber on topgear

Post by Walterf1 »

I saw a picture on twitter with him in the top gear studio. So I guess he is on it this Sunday.

Does anyone know his time?

Benjamin3

Re: Webber on topgear

Post by Benjamin3 »

I haven't heard anything about it, but can you begin to imagine what will happen if he beats Vettel? Or worse.....if Vettel beats him

Walterf1

Post by Walterf1 »

Benjamin3 wrote:I haven't heard anything about it, but can you begin to imagine what will happen if he beats Vettel? Or worse.....if Vettel beats him

That would be very funny.

froze

Post by froze »

Maybe the gearbox of the reasonably priced car will have some problems.
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”

tmzxaar

Post by tmzxaar »

froze wrote:Maybe the gearbox of the reasonably priced car will have some problems.

Or maybe it will lose a wheel, you never know.
H&H

Pest44

Post by Pest44 »

Webber has already been on topgear before but it was raining and he didnt do a great time compared to the other wet runners. Would be interesting to see how he compares to vettel in the dry.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Makes sense, it being his last season. Good luck to him, would be nice to see him top the leader-board, quite possible as well.

Edit: But I dread to think what sort of stupid comments will be on here afterwards, the same ones after Vettels lap, and after Hamiltons lap no doubt. Combine that with a 4 week break when we have nothing better to talk about apart from various rumors which will never happen...... Oh god this place will be chaos.
Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Walterf1 wrote:I saw a picture on twitter with him in the top gear studio. So I guess he is on it this Sunday.

Late 20th, early 21st century. Was known for aerobatic motor racing performances at one point.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

painless

Post by painless »

Fiki wrote:Walterf1 wrote:
I saw a picture on twitter with him in the top gear studio. So I guess he is on it this Sunday.

Late 20th, early 21st century. Was known for aerobatic motor racing performances at one point.

Hah! Brilliant!
reminds me of story when telegrams (wot they?) cost per word; cheap journo wrote
"How old Cary Grant?" and he replied "Old Cary Grant fine. How you?"

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

Again??? what the heck, he has been there before like jenson and lewis... And still no Alonso for example, and many other F1 drivers still not going there.

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

https://twitter.com/AussieGrit/status/3 ... 9523926018
I hope he does an F1 lap not a reasonably priced car thing.
Have they ever taken a Le Manns car around?

F1 Top Gear Lap http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/renault-f1

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

runningman67 wrote:https://twitter.com/AussieGrit/status/362614279523926018

:thumbup: I do think its a bit of a waste that they dont do something more when they are there. Why do we want to see them drive a fairy cakes car when we watch them drive one of the fastest cars 20 Race weekends a year.

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

runningman67 wrote:https://twitter.com/AussieGrit/status/362614279523926018

I can see them talking about Vettel everytime and of course try to beat Vettel's lap.

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Why do we want to see them drive a fairy cakes car when we watch them drive one of the fastest cars 20 Race weekends a year.

Because it's the car they used since the first program, and to compare all the F1 drivers they must use the same car.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Top Gear were doing something with Red Bull in Milton Keynes last weekend, no idea what but im told you could hear the F1 car and that they had a lot of road closed off for it.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

RacingFan1 wrote:Again??? what the heck, he has been there before like jenson and lewis... And still no Alonso for example, and many other F1 drivers still not going there.

Alonso on TopGear....that would be very awkward
Winter is Coming

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Schumii???
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Walterf1

Post by Walterf1 »

Must admit, I'm looking forward to webber on on top gear

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

I think Steven Tyler is the star next Sunday, unless that was last Sunday as I missed it annoyingly, and the one before :/
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

RacingFan1 wrote:Because it's the car they used since the first program, and to compare all the F1 drivers they must use the same car.

I know but I dont really want to see them compete in any car, we see that regularly, I would rather see them take part in a feature somehow.

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

Benjamin3 wrote:I haven't heard anything about it, but can you begin to imagine what will happen if he beats Vettel? Or worse.....if Vettel beats him

Well at least the car won't have KERS so he might be in with a fighting chance :twisted:

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

RunningMan wrote:
RacingFan1 wrote:Again??? what the heck, he has been there before like jenson and lewis... And still no Alonso for example, and many other F1 drivers still not going there.

Why? They had Button, Hamilton, Webber, Barrichello, Vetel and Raikkonen. Also Mansell/Hill as former drivers.
Black_Flag_11 wrote:I know but I dont really want to see them compete in any car, we see that regularly, I would rather see them take part in a feature somehow.

You know, this is actually the only time we get to see ALL the F1 drivers driving and doing a laptime in the exact same car, which is a very basic one. Priceless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_t ... F1_drivers

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

RacingFan1 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:

Why? They had Button, Hamilton, Webber, Barrichello, Vetel and Raikkonen. Also Mansell/Hill as former drivers.
Black_Flag_11 wrote:I know but I dont really want to see them compete in any car, we see that regularly, I would rather see them take part in a feature somehow.

You know, this is actually the only time we get to see ALL the F1 drivers driving and doing a laptime in the exact same car, which is a very basic one. Priceless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_t ... F1_drivers

What would they interview Alonso on though? 2007? Spygate? Crashgate?

For some reason, I just can't picture Jeremy and Fred having a friendly laughy jokey interview on Top Gear

Maybe it's just me
Winter is Coming

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:I think Steven Tyler is the star next Sunday, unless that was last Sunday as I missed it annoyingly, and the one before :/

Steven Tyler was the star last weekend.

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

RunningMan wrote:What would they interview Alonso on though? 2007? Spygate? Crashgate?

For some reason, I just can't picture Jeremy and Fred having a friendly laughy jokey interview on Top Gear

Maybe it's just me

And you are an Alonso fan? There is not anything else to talk with Alonso than bringing back that old cr@p again?
I've seen many friendly laughy jokey interviews with Alonso. Maybe Jeremy and Top Gear dont liike him, ok, but its their issue.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

RacingFan1 wrote:You know, this is actually the only time we get to see ALL the F1 drivers driving and doing a laptime in the exact same car, which is a very basic one. Priceless

And meaningless. Unless it was done on the same day, the car isnt going to be the same, the tyres etc will be worn away and then replaced at some point, Vettel was even asking about checking tyre pressures before his lap as he knows such things make a big difference.

The timing itself is done with stop watches which doesn't account for human error, if you try pushing the button twice on a stopwatch you can see the minimum error that can be made from using stop watches, when you factor in the time for what the brain to register what the eyes just saw, and that of the time from it registering what you have seen to pushing the button.... errors of the best part of seconds, if not seconds can be made.

The track conditions can make a huge difference as Hamilton knows because he chose the day he wanted to go to have the best shot at a good lap time. The times would all need to be set on the same day to be a relevant comparison.

We see a clearer picture on most race weekends when all are in different cars, ironically.

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:And meaningless. Unless it was done on the same day, the car isnt going to be the same, the tyres etc will be worn away and then replaced at some point, Vettel was even asking about checking tyre pressures before his lap as he knows such things make a big difference.

The timing itself is done with stop watches which doesn't account for human error, if you try pushing the button twice on a stopwatch you can see the minimum error that can be made from using stop watches, when you factor in the time for what the brain to register what the eyes just saw, and that of the time from it registering what you have seen to pushing the button.... errors of the best part of seconds, if not seconds can be made.

The track conditions can make a huge difference as Hamilton knows because he chose the day he wanted to go to have the best shot at a good lap time. The times would all need to be set on the same day to be a relevant comparison.

We see a clearer picture on most race weekends when all are in different cars, ironically.

Timing is very precise because it's checked out by the cameras who record the lap. The onboard camera mainly.
The weather conditions can be different, true, but they note it along the times.
And that car has got the typical cheap tyres from a cheap car which can last up to 20.000 km. and maybe are changed in every power lap session anyway.

I loved how Vettel was exposed by Hamilton, being beaten by 1.1 seconds, you can see clearly that both were trying and both were on a sunny day and a dry track. No excuses please.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

RacingFan1 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:What would they interview Alonso on though? 2007? Spygate? Crashgate?

Maybe it's just me

And you are an Alonso fan? There is not anything else to talk with Alonso than bringing back that old cr@p again?
I've seen many friendly laughy jokey interviews with Alonso. Maybe Jeremy and Top Gear dont liike him, ok, but its their issue.

I was just struggling to see topic's that they could interview him on to be honest.

I never said it was beyond him to be funny or whatever, I just didn't think the TopGear style would suit him.
Winter is Coming

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 »

Meh, I've given up on top gear but will watch his interview/lap on I player or youtube.
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

RacingFan1 wrote:I loved how Vettel was exposed by Hamilton, being beaten by 1.1 seconds, you can see clearly that both were trying and both were on a sunny day and a dry track. No excuses please.

Vettel fans claimed the laptime meant he was the best thing to happen to F1, Hamilton fans claimed the same thing, Webber fans will claim the same thing should he do it Sunday. It falls to people with half a brain to look at the situation and donkeys that it is meaningless.

Let me ask you something, since you used the Hamilton/Vettel example, if the gap was 1.1 seconds in an equal car, how come in a faster car over one lap this year the difference to Vettel hasnt been anything near that?

Have some sense.

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Vettel fans claimed the laptime meant he was the best thing to happen to F1, Hamilton fans claimed the same thing, Webber fans will claim the same thing should he do it Sunday. It falls to people with half a brain to look at the situation and donkeys that it is meaningless.

Let me ask you something, since you used the Hamilton/Vettel example, if the gap was 1.1 seconds in an equal car, how come in a faster car over one lap this year the difference to Vettel hasnt been anything near that?

Have some sense.

Yeah yeah, i know, F1 cars are very different and bla bla bla, but I don't care. The thing is, Vettel was beaten soundly in the same rubbish car, end of.
The suzuki liana is not designed by newey and it's not designed to suit Vettel's likings.
I think the most skilled drivers are the ones who get rubbish cars and take them on the limit, make them turn into a "fast car" just by pure skill.
To answer your question, as I said, you can't compare setting laptimes on a liana and doing it on F1 cars. When doing times on an F1 car, an entire team is behind the drivers helping them, and there are the setups involved and so many things. On the other hand on Top Gear the drivers are completely alone trying to go as fast as then can, they can't do setups and they don't have any engineer behind telling them to do this or do that to improve.
Last edited by RacingFan1 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

RacingFan1 wrote:Yeah yeah, i know, F1 cars are very different and bla bla bla, but I don't care. The thing is, Vettel was beaten soundly in the same rubbish car, end of.
The suzuki liana is not designed by newey and it's not designed to suit Vettel's likings.
In a rubbish, slow car that is not made for you, if you drive it to the limit you can show your true skill, in a very different way from driving an F1, but its another way.

No thats not what I meant, yes an F1 car is different and all that but those two lap times, nor any of the others can be compared. There are far too many variables as listed above to actually claim they show something of merit and keep a straight face. Im a Webber fan myself and I will stick by this argument if he goes 4 seconds faster. Put them all in the car on the same day, with F1 standard timing methods, and whoever comes out on top was the best. Till then the times mean nothing.

crankcase

Post by crankcase »

You have to take the Top Gear laps with a pinch of salt don't you?

Different days, conditions, tyres, weights, engine wear, fuel on board, clutch bite etc etc.......

Different cars even. When I worked in the motor trade we would have in 2 pretty much identical make/model/mileage cars. One would be the buyers preferred 1 owner from new and another like an ex-hire car with 10 owners or something daft but the fastest by far and most reliable was always the ex-hire car?!? So if one has the ex Jonathon Ross run in car and another has like a Jay Kay one the difference is massive.

It is a bit of fun and no direct comparison so don't get so serious over it!!

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:No thats not what I meant, yes an F1 car is different and all that but those two lap times, nor any of the others can be compared. There are far too many variables as listed above to actually claim they show something of merit and keep a straight face. Im a Webber fan myself and I will stick by this argument if he goes 4 seconds faster. Put them all in the car on the same day, with F1 standard timing methods, and whoever comes out on top was the best. Till then the times mean nothing.

I edited my message... To sum it up, that's the difference between a driver and a whole team behind with a car designed to suit this driver, and only a driver + a rubbish car.
If you're upset that Webber did a bad time... well, don't mind it, he maybe wasn't trying as Webber is much more of a mature guy to care about doing a great laptime in TG. But mind you, Hamilton and Vettel were really trying their best to do the best possible time, its undeniable.

mds

Post by mds »

RacingFan1 wrote:I think the most skilled drivers are the ones who get rubbish cars and take them on the limit, make them turn into a "fast car" just by pure skill.
To answer your question, as I said, you can't compare setting laptimes on a liana and doing it on F1 cars. When doing times on an F1 car, an entire team is behind the drivers helping them, and there are the setups involved and so many things. On the other hand on Top Gear the drivers are completely alone trying to go as fast as then can, they can't do setups and they don't have any engineer behind telling them to do this or do that to improve.

Dear lord, just stop it. We have F1 to see who are the best racing drivers in the world. Times in an effing Liana are fun and games.

I'm baffled people actually use those times to measure the skill of a driver. Grasping at straws, very very much.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Rachie_D

Post by Rachie_D »

It'd be great if in the record book it said
'Sebastian Vettel, triple world champion (but it's ok cause Hamilton beat him round the Top Gear track)'
http://rachie-d18.deviantart.com/ - Where I do drawings and such.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

Rachie_D wrote:It'd be great if in the record book it said
'Sebastian Vettel, triple world champion (but it's ok cause Hamilton beat him round the Top Gear track)'

Or if it's Wikipedia, it'll be "Youngest F1 fastest lap on top gear". :uhoh:

Saw Mitch Evans was there as well. Mark's really taken that boy in like a son, hasnt he?

Webber was a good laugh the last time he was on. Should be good again this time around.

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

mds wrote:Dear lord, just stop it. We have F1 to see who are the best racing drivers in the world. Times in an effing Liana are fun and games.

I'm baffled people actually use those times to measure the skill of a driver. Grasping at straws, very very much.

I use those times to measure the skill of a driver on a SUZUKI LIANA, which is a rubbish car (or better said, a cheap car). It has nothing to do with an F1 car I know, but for now its the only way to compare drivers on the same car, yeah, its true.
Its not actually that much "fun and games" beacause you can see drivers wanting to set a good lap and not to look bad against other drivers. Not all of them maybe, but at least Vettel and Hamilton really wanted to top the chart.

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

RacingFan1 wrote:
mds wrote:Dear lord, just stop it. We have F1 to see who are the best racing drivers in the world. Times in an effing Liana are fun and games.

I use those times to measure the skill of a driver on a SUZUKI LIANA, which is a rubbish car (or better said, a cheap car). It has nothing to do with an F1 car I know, but for now its the only way to compare drivers on the same car, yeah, its true.
Its not actually that much "fun and games" beacause you can see drivers wanting to set a good lap and not to look bad against other drivers. Not all of them maybe, but at least Vettel and Hamilton really wanted to top the chart.

http://gifsoup.com/view/3528546/kimi-ra ... -gear.html ? :)
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Looking forward to this. Webber is usually good with the craic at these sort of things.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

WHy are we discussing the Top Gear times as not being valid again?

Ofcourse its flipping Valid the best driver is fastest, which proves its good measure.
Pathfinder