Truth, where is Eurytus?

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Locked
Chocksaway
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:10 pm

Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Chocksaway »

mmmm

phyz
Posts: 1049
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by phyz »

Probably here under a different name..

User avatar
bbobeckyj
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by bbobeckyj »

he/she was banned

ToughGuy
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by ToughGuy »

Do many people get banned on this forum.
the Mods do seem friendly enough, even if i did get a shot across the bows

who was Eurytus

mac_d
Posts: 4231
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by mac_d »

Eury was a long time poster and pretty much earned the title of king of stats. (That was Eury wasn't it... I'm not confusing people am I?

I think some friendly banter in the religious thread escalated to the point where it was not so friendly and the mods, after several warnings, took definitive action.

However, that is a crude and possibly inaccurate overview of the situation.


Edit for spelling.

User avatar
Laura23
Posts: 8767
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Location: London

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Laura23 »

He was banned because he was an argumentative member who never knew when to stop. He was blatently offensive and he got away with it far too often. He should have went far sooner IMO.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

j man
Posts: 3575
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by j man »

phyz wrote:Probably here under a different name..


I think we'd notice if he was.

He could be unbelievably frustrating at times, but the guy had some serious F1 knowledge.

P-F1 Mod
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by P-F1 Mod »

To answer this simply, he is probably trying to find an IP address we haven't banned him on. At the moment I count five we knew of.

Some of you will also recall the random appearance of a P-F1 Mod2 account [an old account that somehow evaded us when we replaced the previous team] which was Eurytus' first effort to fight back; and General Zod, a name a lot of our Finnish fans will recognise from other forums where they were harassed by what turned out to be the same person.

If a very argumentative, annoyingly articulate and stubborn member pops up, likely in the religion thread, keep an eye on him. If he starts throwing around the term 'strawman', I'd advise reporting him.

But of course, I can't possibly comment on who that might be :wink:

Jezick
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:50 am

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Jezick »

Laura23 wrote:He was banned because he was an argumentative member who never knew when to stop. He was blatently offensive and he got away with it far too often. He should have went far sooner IMO.


As always, a very accurate assessment by Laura and to mac_d, DOLIMITE might have something to say about the 'king of stats' title 8)

fatsi
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by fatsi »

phyz wrote:Probably here under a different name..


In the New Members thread, someone joined yesterday under the name "I Drink Your Milkshake" - which Eury had in his header bar under his F1 Champ status.

But I'm sure this is just a coincidence :o :]
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2012 Championship : =9th :)
2013 Championship : 35th :(
2014 Championship : 5th :)

PF1 2014 Castrol GP Predictor
2014 Fantasy League : 1st :D

User avatar
Alienturnedhuman
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

It is a shame that he didn't know where to draw the line, when he stopped debating the point and started taking on the poster, because when he was on task he made excellent contributions to the forum, and entering a discussion against him really made you focus your argument as he would punish you for glib statements or inaccuracies.

Losing that part of him is a loss to the forum, however, as others have said, he could get very abusive towards members, did not know where to draw the line, did not know when to back down and could not (or maybe would not) tell the difference between someone who wasn't interested in debating an issue at the same level of seriousness as he was. Losing that part of him is not a loss to the forum, and when push came to shove this is just an Internet forum where people come to enjoy themselves and as a result there was going to come a day where he was going to step over the line. However, I was surprised how quickly it all happened, however once he started giving both of his barrels to the mods (which, as a result of his blinkered vision, couldn't see the opposing point of view) he was on a hiding to nothing.

I remember only once where I entered a discussion and he disagree with me and it soon turned nasty, because he refused to listen what I had said and instead focused on one aspect where I had used a term that was technically incorrect (although I had deliberately used the term to make my description better understood by someone not intimately knowledgeably with the subject matter) he refused to let the point go, claiming I knew nothing and every I had said was wrong, and later in the thread said "oh no, not you again" when I countered something else he agreed with. (neither were F1 matters either, it was to do with High Definition... And I was right on both things I was saying!) ...I got off lightly, but I also remember seeing people where he tenaciously pursued them across threads.

It's a shame, because he did raise good points, make strong cases and was the perfect foe (providing he stayed on task) if you had an opposing point of view and really wanted to test yourself. However, it is not good for the forum to have someone who used that arguing ability to attack forum members and when it became clear that would never change (at the end of the day, he turned on all the mods in the moderater feedback thread) it was impossible for him to hang around.

User avatar
RoadPilgrim
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by RoadPilgrim »

He was an articulate forum member who possibly suffered from little man syndrome. We have plenty of articulate and knowledgeable contributors here and as such I'm glad to see the back of somebody who was not interested in debating a point, but in asserting their unmerited authority and righteousness.
Words. Flamable. Inflamable. Anti-inflamable.
...Why are there three? Either the thing flams or it doesn't!

User avatar
AndyPerry
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:54 am

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by AndyPerry »

So, if I understand this correctly, he's on a permanent ban?

He could be a great contribution to this forum when he felt like it, but once his Napoleon complex kicked in, there was just one thing to do....

Image
Dayman
Fighter of the Nightman
Champion of the sun
You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone!

User avatar
minchy
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by minchy »

As others have said, Eury did give great posts and was usually the voice of correctness on the F1 topics. But when it came to off topic, he could never take a joke and was ALWAYS right (as alien said in an above post) even if he wasn't. As Laura said before, he got into an argument with the mods and couldn't let it lie, he had his opinion and couldn't see the other side of the argument and when that other side is the way the mods run the place, its' probably best to at least try!

He was a bit too argumentative and did put down a lot a forumers, myself only once in the aforementioned 'religion' thread, albeit using perfect grammar and non-offensive language. Personally, I won't miss him as he could really kill a thread he got his teeth into as no one else could then give their opinion without having him tear their post apart.

A bit upset he wasn't banned a couple of week later, simply because I'd put forward an argument to him (in the religion thread) which he had on numerous just chosen not to respond to and I really wanted to see what he had to say. :(
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

Siao7
Posts: 9051
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Siao7 »

The one thing that I really found frustrating was that he was never wrong in his mind. NEVER. If he was found wrong in a thread, when he was truly cornered by someone more knowledgeable than him, he would simply dismiss it and not reply any more. He was unable to comprehend it somehow.

I also found that his favourite game was also to scold the newbies, maybe others will agree too. When I first got here, I replied to a thread that Hamilton got some bad publicity partly through his own fault (a few statements he had made at the time etc.). God I got torn apart by him (my username didn't help either I guess), how did I dare say something that he disagreed with?

Sad thing is that while he has lots of knowledge (he knew everything about every subject), he did lose credit with this stubborn behaviour; being a smart alec is not something that I admire in a person.

I do miss his posts though. He certainly had some good traits and ethics. It is a shame because he does have a great deal of F1 knowledge that will be missed

User avatar
Johnston
Posts: 6587
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Johnston »

P-F1 Mod wrote:
If a very argumentative, annoyingly articulate and stubborn member pops up, likely in the religion thread, keep an eye on him. If he starts throwing around the term 'strawman', I'd advise reporting him.




You could always add it to the swear filter.

Have it change "Strawman" to "I have a little willy" or something.
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

vikz22
Posts: 1297
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by vikz22 »

Johnston wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
If a very argumentative, annoyingly articulate and stubborn member pops up, likely in the religion thread, keep an eye on him. If he starts throwing around the term 'strawman', I'd advise reporting him.




You could always add it to the swear filter.

Have it change "Strawman" to "I have a little willy" or something.



:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Juggles
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Juggles »

I think the forum is weakened by losing him. Clearly shot himself in the foot when he turned his (substantial) ire on the mods but the reason I stopped bothering with an old F1 forum I used to browse is because it lost a few senior members who were part of the furniture. The quality of the average post dropped noticeably. Hopefully PF1 has enough high class posters to take the hit because I really enjoy the knowledge contained in this forum community as a whole.

P.S. I don't know the whole situation but my gut feeling is that some people need to be a bit less sensitive.
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights

User avatar
minchy
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by minchy »

Juggles wrote:I think the forum is weakened by losing him. Clearly shot himself in the foot when he turned his (substantial) ire on the mods but the reason I stopped bothering with an old F1 forum I used to browse is because it lost a few senior members who were part of the furniture. The quality of the average post dropped noticeably. Hopefully PF1 has enough high class posters to take the hit because I really enjoy the knowledge contained in this forum community as a whole.

P.S. I don't know the whole situation but my gut feeling is that some people need to be a bit less sensitive.

I think the problem was, Eury needed to be a bit more sensitive! I never felt the reason to report one of his posts, I'm lucky enough to be able to brush off the odd insult to my knowledge or opinion. However, he did make it quite clear in his writing style that if you were wrong you were stupid. This is a forum where people go to relax and enjoy themselves, not be insulted. All he needed to to do was not be as argumentative and alter his style of writing, if you weren't used to it, it could easily offend.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

KooTeePee
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:36 pm
Location: Stirling, Scotland

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by KooTeePee »

I'm glad this topic was raised because it's something which needed to be discussed in more detail but obviously nearer the time it was difficult because everyone was a bit more wary immediately after the event.

Anybody who witnessed the offending posts I don't think would disagree with the mods decision. He crossed the line of decency frequently, but there's an even bigger, bolder line that no member of the forum (let alone one so senior) should ever cross, and that it threatening the mods. Not just arguing, but threatening.

I couldn't really believe what I was seeing, as many people have said Eury had his good side and I enjoyed reading a lot of his posts, but I had gotten on his wrong side before and knew how that felt so I guess I can see why many would be happy to see the back of him. If only he had grown up a bit and just took things a little easier, he could have been an exceptional poster. As it was, he just devolved into an argumentative toe-rag who spent all his time telling everyone else they were wrong and he was right, no matter what, and in hindsight it was all too clear that this would be the outcome. A lesson for us all, I think.

User avatar
Johnston
Posts: 6587
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Johnston »

minchy wrote:
Juggles wrote:I think the forum is weakened by losing him. Clearly shot himself in the foot when he turned his (substantial) ire on the mods but the reason I stopped bothering with an old F1 forum I used to browse is because it lost a few senior members who were part of the furniture. The quality of the average post dropped noticeably. Hopefully PF1 has enough high class posters to take the hit because I really enjoy the knowledge contained in this forum community as a whole.

P.S. I don't know the whole situation but my gut feeling is that some people need to be a bit less sensitive.

I think the problem was, Eury needed to be a bit more sensitive! I never felt the reason to report one of his posts, I'm lucky enough to be able to brush off the odd insult to my knowledge or opinion. However, he did make it quite clear in his writing style that if you were wrong you were stupid. This is a forum where people go to relax and enjoy themselves, not be insulted. All he needed to to do was not be as argumentative and alter his style of writing, if you weren't used to it, it could easily offend.


Basically he could give it but not take it.

Pretty sure he was the one that reported me to get a Temp Ban for a few days.
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

User avatar
Sarhan
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: Kashyyyk

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Sarhan »

I cant believe some people miss that guy. IMO his last performance was an attempt to destroy the forum through challenging the mods and crating an atmosphere for people to leave. Not to mention he was the most arrogant and rudest person I ever discussed with on the web. Good riddance.

User avatar
dizlexik
Posts: 7796
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by dizlexik »

minchy wrote:As others have said, Eury did give great posts and was usually the voice of correctness on the F1 topics. But when it came to off topic, he could never take a joke and was ALWAYS right (as alien said in an above post) even if he wasn't. As Laura said before, he got into an argument with the mods and couldn't let it lie, he had his opinion and couldn't see the other side of the argument and when that other side is the way the mods run the place, its' probably best to at least try!

He was a bit too argumentative and did put down a lot a forumers, myself only once in the aforementioned 'religion' thread, albeit using perfect grammar and non-offensive language. Personally, I won't miss him as he could really kill a thread he got his teeth into as no one else could then give their opinion without having him tear their post apart.

A bit upset he wasn't banned a couple of week later, simply because I'd put forward an argument to him (in the religion thread) which he had on numerous just chosen not to respond to and I really wanted to see what he had to say. :(

I actually proved him wrong but it was very hard. It was about McLaren spygate. He said that it wasn't serious espionage that it didn't even went into court. I proved that it was in court. He said that there wasn't any case. I proved that there was case etc. Few posts later I said that I already proved that it was serious crime and I don't need to answer his question anymore. He finally shut up. :lol:


There are still many quality posters here. I don't mind whether he is banned or not.
eeee

Arry_2k
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:44 pm

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Arry_2k »

I have to echo a lot of the comments above.

His knowledge and recall of (most) events was excellent and he would often raise some decent points. But, to me at least, he undermined all of this by being aloof, argumentative and often rude. Tbh, i don't have the time to argue with people here so generally tried to avoid him and any discussion (read argument) he was involved in.

Some people wonder why he lasted on here so long. All I can say is it was a remarkable coincidence that his post rate dropped significantly after the mod team changed over.

P-F1 Mod wrote:Some of you will also recall the random appearance of a P-F1 Mod2 account [an old account that somehow evaded us when we replaced the previous team] which was Eurytus' first effort to fight back


Whilst we have lost some of knowledge and insight that Eury brought to the table, the forum is an overall better place without him.

SilverPower
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by SilverPower »

I think the OP wanted to know if Eurytus has been banned, and PF1-Mod has answered the question.

I don't think it is fair to pile it on when he has no way of fighting back. Please don't think I am one of his minions/friends/apologist or what have you, I just don't find it kosher to beat up on him, that's all.

User avatar
Sarhan
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: Kashyyyk

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Sarhan »

SilverPower wrote:Please don't think I am one of his minions/friends/apologist


Bearing in mind your posts in the old mod feedback thread you certainly aren't any of those :)

Big Arti
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Tri City - PL

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by Big Arti »

mac_d wrote:Eury was a long time poster and pretty much earned the title of king of stats. (That was Eury wasn't it... I'm not confusing people am I?

I think some friendly banter in the religious thread escalated to the point where it was not so friendly and the mods, after several warnings, took definitive action.

However, that is a crude and possibly inaccurate overview of the situation.


Edit for spelling.

That would be Dolomite I think - king of stats

User avatar
mcdo
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by mcdo »

SilverPower wrote:I think the OP wanted to know if Eurytus has been banned, and PF1-Mod has answered the question.

I don't think it is fair to pile it on when he has no way of fighting back. Please don't think I am one of his minions/friends/apologist or what have you, I just don't find it kosher to beat up on him, that's all.

I just want to post one image and I've said all that I want to say.

Anytime I saw his name, I always imagined Eurytus was this guy:

Image

OK I'm done beating up on him now
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

P-F1 Mod
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by P-F1 Mod »

fatboy72 wrote:
phyz wrote:Probably here under a different name..


In the New Members thread, someone joined yesterday under the name "I Drink Your Milkshake" - which Eury had in his header bar under his F1 Champ status.

But I'm sure this is just a coincidence :o :]

Keeping an eye on that.

P-F1 Mod
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am

Re: Truth, where is Eurytus?

Post by P-F1 Mod »

SilverPower wrote:I think the OP wanted to know if Eurytus has been banned, and PF1-Mod has answered the question.

I don't think it is fair to pile it on when he has no way of fighting back. Please don't think I am one of his minions/friends/apologist or what have you, I just don't find it kosher to beat up on him, that's all.

Agreed, and for that reason I am locking this thread.

Locked