Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Annoyances
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:37 pm 

Anyone who regularly uses the word 'banter'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm 

j man wrote:

What happens if someone stands next to you and says "banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter"

Do they get stabbed/punched?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:51 pm 

j man wrote:

For me not so much that as people who use that word as an excuse for being a bully, attention seeker or just a general gobsh*te.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:13 pm 

domdonald wrote:
Loose and lose.. I am sure the majority doesn't know the difference..

This one makes me cringe the most if I'm reading something and it's not even that uncommon!

There's a chance it could be a typo for some offending sentences, but I'm sure there are a shocking number of people who think that the latter doesn't exist and the former is interchangeable with two pronunciations and meanings.

"He's going to loose"

Such a ridiculous mistake to make for any one who is a supposedly native English speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
Radio 1 and 90% of the 'Music' they play.

Special mention for Nick Grimshaw. If Chris Moyles was irritating at least he was funny.

This. So much. I don't listen to radio one if I can help it, but the people I lift share into work with love it. So at least 3 out of every 4 weeks I have to deal with that radio show. It makes me want to hammer nails directly into my eardrums. Doing that is probably less painful that listening to that man ramble on about absolute rubbish [in the most annoying voice ever] or the absolute tosh music. :frown:

On the plus side, 1 out of the 4 weeks I get my revenge. I'm currently "educating" them in the excellence of Scandinavian Death Metal :twisted:

Another thing that annoys me: people without basic manners. This irritates me no end. My mum always brought me up to be polite. "Manners cost you nothing" she would say. So the downright rudeness of some of my collegues [the ones around my age which is early 20's btw] is beyond belief. It's not difficult to ask people nicely how long they will be working in an area you need to get to, or how long they will be needing that tool instead of telling them to "move out the @#!? way". :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 pm 

I've brought a High Horse for us all to sit on while we post in this thread. Me included :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 pm 

MrMuttley wrote:
I've brought a High Horse for us all to sit on while we post in this thread. Me included :D

What is she's just a borrower?

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:59 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
j man wrote:

What happens if someone stands next to you and says "banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter, banter"

Do they get stabbed/punched?

I dare you :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
j man wrote:

For me not so much that as people who use that word as an excuse for being a bully, attention seeker or just a general gobsh*te.

The word just reminds me of people like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
mac_d wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

3) Poor spelling/grammar. I'm not perfect with grammar, and sometimes spell words incorrectly, but when people write "their not happy" or "there not going to be happy" and any other incorrect use of their/they're/there, it really annoys me. Also, another example I saw today was "Why did Mclaren picked Montoya"... GRAMMAR!!! ARGH!!!!

I'm with you. My grammar is also far from perfect, but I try.

And the number of people who know do not seem to understand that "than" and "then" are not interchangable grinds my gears. "He won more then the other guy" is quite common, especially with Americans and it really irritates me.

edit: when my boss emails me and wants to either meet at 7pm tonight (I have plans) or meet at 7:30am tomorrow.

there they're their

The thing that annoys me about bad English grammar ('should of' rather than 'should have' for example) is that it's usually the native English speakers that are the culprits.

In one office I worked in recently there were Polish, Spanish, African and French staff, and the ones that struggled with spelling and grammar were - yes you've guessed it - British.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:15 am 

In my humble opinion (IMHO).

When expressing your humble opinion! Please attempt to be humble.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:34 am 

Peepl shud of lerned there language @ skool. Coz wen your reeding it you can tel dat there not werf payin atenshion too. Wen u reed wot day wroted, your just finking kthxb!!!!!!!! Im goin to da foe list m8.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 am 

bbobeckyj wrote:
Peepl shud of lerned there language @ skool. Coz wen your reeding it you can tel dat there not werf payin atenshion too. Wen u reed wot day wroted, your just finking kthxb!!!!!!!! Im goin to da foe list m8.

tipikal ewe spelid SKULE RON I wos like that, when you was like that. told my frend and he said like that

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:36 am 

Gunnetour wrote:
domdonald wrote:
Loose and lose.. I am sure the majority doesn't know the difference..

This one makes me cringe the most if I'm reading something and it's not even that uncommon!

There's a chance it could be a typo for some offending sentences, but I'm sure there are a shocking number of people who think that the latter doesn't exist and the former is interchangeable with two pronunciations and meanings.

"He's going to loose"

Such a ridiculous mistake to make for any one who is a supposedly native English speaker.

I used to do that all the time. I have cut right back through some effort on my part. At least is one I often write as atleast. I use a spellchecker in Firefox now though. I also frequently type works ending in "ing" as "ign" but that is just poor typing skills.

I mark lab reports, and the people who misuse "affect" and "effect" is considerable. It is not uncommon to see "this effects the other parameter". I take a mark off for any gramatical errors. I take 1 off for getting units wrong in one instance, and two off if they repeat it. (Out of 40 marks - though I make this clear in meetings and the lab itself).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:49 pm 

As somebody who is sitting at work, full of cold, sneezing every 5 minutes and with a red nose that Rudolph would be proud of, I would like to moan about Hypochondriacs. Particularly people who claim they have the flu when it is just a cold.

If you had the flu you would know about it!

2015 - 6th
2019 - 10th

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:51 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
As somebody who is sitting at work, full of cold, sneezing every 5 minutes and with a red nose that Rudolph would be proud of, I would like to moan about Hypochondriacs. Particularly people who claim they have the flu when it is just a cold.

I have flu now (i think), constant fever, joints ache like hell, can't concentrate on work i need to do (no blocked nose or sneezes yet) not fun :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:57 pm 

I've got man flu :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:58 pm 

domdonald wrote:

Holy sh*t!!!! Get the man to a hospital!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 pm 

domdonald wrote:

My sympathies. Where will the funeral be held, I would like to send some flowers?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm 

And while we are with the hypochondriacs let's not forget shock as in "I was like in total shock"
Surprised? maybe, astounded? perhaps, scared s***tless? possibly but in shock? probably not.
Shock is a medical emergency caused (usually) by blood loss or infection NOT by a little scare!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 pm 

Guys who treat girls with guy hobbies like guys :|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:41 pm 

ashley313 wrote:

So he bought you football manager 2013 for Christmas, didn't he?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:08 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

I hope not. I did receive tires for valentines day once though, when all I wanted were flowers. Flowers for valentines day. Takes a psychic to figure that out.

More just the general behavior. Sometimes its nice to be one of the guys, most of the time its just...le sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

I hope not. I did receive tires for valentines day once though, when all I wanted were flowers. Flowers for valentines day. Takes a psychic to figure that out.

More just the general behavior. Sometimes its nice to be one of the guys, most of the time its just...le sigh.

Ah, but the question is what tyres?

Slicks? Pirellis? Or the horrible grooved BS of 2005?

I know what you mean though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:39 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

Ah, but the question is what tyres?

Slicks? Pirellis? Or the horrible grooved BS of 2005?

I know what you mean though!

Dunlop slicks for the TT car.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:00 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:

All I needed was "your" and "you're". Combined with "lose" and "loose" along with small details like "to" vs. "too" or simply "alot" (which was autocorrected 10 times before I could type it) annoys me to no end.
The worst part is, most people who do that usually have English as their native language. If you can't be bothered to learn your own language, how are you going to cope with the world? Or life?

Everything I said apart from the examples also applies to all other languages I know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:02 pm 

ashley313 wrote:

Ahah, that's why you are upset. Dunlops are sh*te indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:39 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

Ahah, that's why you are upset. Dunlops are sh*te indeed!

They were fantastic. Handled a lot more g than the A6's I used prior.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 pm 

Fair enough then, I'll take it of the list of annoyances!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:42 pm 

I go up to the kitchen, via the front door which has been left wide open, to find the radiator on [which it should be at this time in the evening] and the window open [which it shouldn't be, given the heating situation]. Add this to the fact the entire house keeps complaining how cold it is - am I living with a load of idiots??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:10 pm 

Tufty wrote:
I go up to the kitchen, via the front door which has been left wide open, to find the radiator on [which it should be at this time in the evening] and the window open [which it shouldn't be, given the heating situation]. Add this to the fact the entire house keeps complaining how cold it is - am I living with a load of idiots??

People devoid of common-sense is perhaps a more appropriate term. Basically they are used to mummy and daddy running around after them clearing up their messes.

I live with a guy who is too lazy to shut the freezer door properly, even though I have put a big note on the door saying so. Whenever I go away for a weekend or a few days I usually come back to find the freezer door ajar and have to defrost it.

2015 - 6th
2019 - 10th

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:29 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
Tufty wrote:

People devoid of common-sense is perhaps a more appropriate term. Basically they are used to mummy and daddy running around after them clearing up their messes.

I live with a guy who is too lazy to shut the freezer door properly, even though I have put a big note on the door saying so. Whenever I go away for a weekend or a few days I usually come back to find the freezer door ajar and have to defrost it.

That sucks... luckily our freezer is pretty hard NOT to close properly [chest freezer rather than upright], and while our fridge door has an apparent phobia of being closed, there's only 2 of us who use that fridge and we've both learned very quickly ow hard to kick it to ensure it's shut.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 pm 

I lived in a suite for 6 during my freshman yr of college - a big room, a little room, a tiny room (which i commandeered for myself), a small hallway, and bathroom. We were 6 strangers, half from NY/NJ and half from Boston, which meant we were split down the middle on the issue of Yankees vs. Red Sox (the Red Sox suck by the way), but united 5 to 1 on the issue of temperature. We liked to be cold. We really liked sweat pants and hoodies. Except for Sissela the Jewban (Jewish Cuban) from Boston who turned the thermostat in the little room up to 89. Yes, EIGHTY NINE. All the time. No matter how many times we asked her not to, she still turned it up. Even after I duct tapped the slider thingy on 72. I couldn't wait for her to have to pay her own heating bill someday.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm 

A car park ticket machine in a small town near to where I live that not only takes about 30 seconds to give you the ticket after you press the green button, but beeps like a car alarm for the full 30 seconds just to ensure you don't walk away without the ticket!........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 pm 

If it is left open for 60secs the freezer beeps, the fridge door activates the beep after 90 secs, the microwave beeps, the dishwasher beeps, the oven beeps, the washing machine beeps. If anyone gives me a beeping appliance for Christmas I shall not be responsible for my actions. I'm bleeping fed up with it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:00 pm 

Tufty wrote:

He he been there, I'll bet they are the same people who complain about why there are so many beasties in the house when the lights are all on and the windows are all open (presumably windows left open to get rid of that precious heat that us Scot’s hate so much).

I was lucky enough to have a garage to go to in my student days, which was warmer, cleaner and more beast-free than any of the houses that I stayed in at that time.

Meh that’s Edinburgh for you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:15 pm 

painless wrote:
If it is left open for 60secs the freezer beeps, the fridge door activates the beep after 90 secs, the microwave beeps, the dishwasher beeps, the oven beeps, the washing machine beeps. If anyone gives me a beeping appliance for Christmas I shall not be responsible for my actions. I'm bleeping fed up with it

Glad I kept the receipt for that heart monitor then. :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:02 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:

I have flu now (i think), constant fever, joints ache like hell, can't concentrate on work i need to do (no blocked nose or sneezes yet) not fun :(

I am going to compound your misery by adding ' people who go to work while ill'

Instead of one person being off sick for a week , they struggle to work, disrupt the place and pas the bug to everyone else and you get 10 people off ill a week each over 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:13 pm 

moby wrote:
Instead of one person being off sick for a week , they struggle to work, disrupt the place and pas the bug to everyone else and you get 10 people off ill a week each over 6 weeks.

Yes, fair point. My boss came to work the other day even though he had that Norovirus (winter vomiting bug) and we were all fuming because its highly contagious and not at all pleasant.

But a cold? Colds can be dealt with. If people went off work every time they started sneezing then we may as well all just take the winter off work! ;)

2015 - 6th
2019 - 10th

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:15 pm 

moby wrote:
vikz22 wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:

I am going to compound your misery by adding ' people who go to work while ill'

Absolutely right! Problem is though plenty people don't get sick pay and can't afford to lose a coupe of day's wages.