Annoyances

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
moby

Re: Annoyances

Post by moby »

huggybear wrote:
vikz22 wrote:my mac hard drive just failed, super annoyed!
luckily i bought a new one recently so i can work, but i haven't had a chance to move my stuff from the old mac to new,

i just hope i can recover some of the data on it!

Try mounting it with an external SATA connecter. When my hdd failed, I found that while windows wouldn't load, I could still browse the disk by doing this. If you have a macbook air, you'll need a Zif to SATA converter to do the same thing.

@Moby, how big are the video files, and what error does it give, and in which media player is it trying to open?

Hi

Various sizes, mostly small-ish. nothing near 4 gig if thats what you are thinking :D

I split the stick up into 8 directories, and put less than 8 gig in each one. Since the original transfer, I can add files and they will play. Wonder if its a windows 7 anomaly?

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

moby wrote:
I split the stick up into 8 directories, and put less than 8 gig in each one. Since the original transfer, I can add files and they will play. Wonder if its a windows 7 anomaly?

Could be that the write to memory card didn't complete properly. If you can, try overwriting a file with the original copy from your computer and see if the sizes match up.

moby

Post by moby »

huggybear wrote:
moby wrote:

Could be that the write to memory card didn't complete properly. If you can, try overwriting a file with the original copy from your computer and see if the sizes match up.

Errm, thats the problem, I did move, so I cant even get them with recuva :blush:
The file sizes do match, I did a test before 'move'

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

People who don't like the name of there children shortened......

e.g. Samuel to Sam. Jessica to Jess.......................

Why? whats the problem , Snobs!!! :nod:

moby

Post by moby »

runningman67 wrote:People who don't like the name of there children shortened......

not sure I agree rugman :]

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

moby wrote:
runningman67 wrote:People who don't like the name of there children shortened......

not sure I agree rugman :]

Ok Mo.
I like informality. Life's to short to not shorten names :]
e.g.

Alien turned Human=Alan
Banana Man= Ban
Painless=Pain

CC78AMG

Post by CC78AMG »

Grosjean's penalty?

Gothalamide

Post by Gothalamide »

CC78AMG wrote:Grosjean's penalty?

You mean RG's penalty for breaking clearly defined rules which have been clearly applied in the past...

Thing about it was that if his team had been quick enough to realise, they could have told him to swap back and avoid ruining his race...

:D :D :D

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

This:

CC78AMG

Post by CC78AMG »

Finding out that one of your favorite tv shows are getting canceled. :(

Moore

Post by Moore »

Covalent wrote:This:

What have I just read?

Jimbox01

Post by Jimbox01 »

Moore wrote:

What have I just read?

Don't you mean 'readed' ?

minchy

Post by minchy »

Jimbox01 wrote:
Moore wrote:

What have I just read?

Don't you mean 'readed' ?

I thought he meant 'red'
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

My brian sells are dedded.
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

moby

Post by moby »

I thought THERE was an indicated location :twisted:

Jimbox01

Post by Jimbox01 »

moby wrote:I thought THERE was an indicated location :twisted:

No, yore thinksing of thair - common mistkae.

minchy

Post by minchy »

Jimbox01 wrote:

thair is a purfectly acseptible word for a locashun if your from sumaset.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

moby

Post by moby »

minchy wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:

thair is a purfectly acseptible word for a locashun if your from sumaset.

I was not kidding, really.

My spelling is appalling

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

I'm sure I've said this before but can't find it...

1. People who continually and inappropriately use the work "So" to start a sentence or answer a question.

2. People (politicians usually) who speak in the form of asking themselves a question then answering their own question.

minchy

Post by minchy »

Biffa wrote:I'm sure I've said this before but can't find it...

1. People who continually and inappropriately use the work "So" to start a sentence or answer a question.

2. People (politicians usually) who speak in the form of asking themselves a question then answering their own question.

I know that one with politicians, they always ask their own questions to take their answers away from what was asked it they can't answer it in a way that doesn't make them look bad.

That's why Jeremy Paxman is so good at interviews. He never takes the normal politician BS and refuses to stop asking the question until they answer it! No other interviewer that I've seen does that.

Tyrrellforever

Post by Tyrrellforever »

Either that's completely wrong or I've just had a brain seizure.. x(

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

My voice. I just listened to a recording of it. So disappointing hearing it back, because it sounds nothing like I thought it did. I sound like a camp Duke.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

huggybear wrote:My voice. I just listened to a recording of it. So disappointing hearing it back, because it sounds nothing like I thought it did. I sound like a camp Duke.

I think most people hate their voices when they hear them recorded. I do!

moby

Post by moby »

I think this thread was started for Windows 8

I do not care to read about my best friend who is a pop 'star' I have never met being slightly constipated this morning.
I do not want to send a copy of every keystroke I hit to Microsoft
I do not want Microsoft and any other piece of software I use to know my exact location any time of the day or night.
I do not want to use up a large proportion of my data sorting through rubbish sent although I did not ask for it or want it
I do not want to have to sign in to Microsoft every time I want to use my computer.

This afternoon I open the box of my new Lifebook. Nice look and feel, happy so far. Battery completely discharged, so wont run up without the mains lead, No problem, I think -put it on to charge, look at the paperwork and come back later.

Paperwork? There is a stack of it. Most of it is telling me to dispose of it sensibly in every language in the known galaxy.

There is a "Quick start guide" which is a folded A4 with a couple of diagrams showing me to plug the A/C adapter in, then slip a DVD in the draw. 3 lines of printing in my language telling me not to use the machine until I have studied the manual.

ERRM, 'Scuse me, but it is on a DVD, which I have to put in to the laptop once it is up and running :-|

Fair play to Fujitsu, the initial log on was fine, until it got to the windows bit.
I despair. I have given them my life story and full access to my internet, my whole family's bank account and my secret dreams.

I have decided to have a rest before installing Linux in the morning. I may even dual (triple?) boot with XP.

It seems that a computer user today needs only facebook and a music store. (well, according to Microsoft)

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Beep! people who use the car horn for no good reason. Lazy reasons, a crash that never happened.

moby

Post by moby »

Tyrrellforever wrote:

Either that's completely wrong or I've just had a brain seizure.. x(

Could of course be referring to more than one fish

Gothalamide

Post by Gothalamide »

runningman67 wrote:Beep! people who use the car horn for no good reason. Lazy reasons, a crash that never happened.

I usually only use my horn for the worst of crash avoidances...

IE:

Level 1 - Whoa, you cut me up there a little and nearly hit me, but it wasn't too close and was fairly slow speed... Have a quick flash of my lights you cad you...

Level 2 - Are you f***ing Romain Grosjean?!?!?! I like my car without dents... *hits horn - BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP* you f***ing nutter!!!

I think (but I could be wrong) that the horn is outlined in the highway code to only be used to raise awareness of your presence... I think my Level 2 fits that criteria...

I also think you aren't supposed to use it between 11pm and 7am...

beyamei

Post by beyamei »

A few annoyances:

Flavio Briatore - I can't stand the sight of him! There's no other person in the world who makes me cringe as much as this guy. Thank god he's out of F1.

Children - Except a few little ones, I hate loud, restless, spoiled children.
I honestly think I'd make a horrible mom. I just can't stand kids.

Will Ferrell - He is loud, annoying, and not funny at all. He plays the same person in all of his movies--himself.

Disrespectful/Rude people - I can be a bit disrespectful or rude too, but some people can be real asshats. People who steal parking spots, people who cut lines and then get angry when confronted,

People who talk about how Apple/Android is so much better than the other at ANY given opportunity.
VettelRaikkonenNasr

vikz22

Post by vikz22 »

beyamei wrote:A few annoyances:

Flavio Briatore - I can't stand the sight of him! There's no other person in the world who makes me cringe as much as this guy. Thank god he's out of F1.

Will Ferrell - He is loud, annoying, and not funny at all. He plays the same person in all of his movies--himself.

Disrespectful/Rude people - I can be a bit disrespectful or rude too, but some people can be real asshats. People who steal parking spots, people who cut lines and then get angry when confronted,

People who talk about how Apple/Android is so much better than the other at ANY given opportunity.

This, i hate being around people who are slightly rude, or talk abruptly. I;m fairly easy going guy, always say my please and thank yous and generally polite, but sometimes people can be a little rude around me, and i hate it!

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EFJSHU1mBg
;) Couldnt resist, didn't want to just write it in a post incase you or the mods were unfamiliar with the reference.

minchy

Post by minchy »

Gothalamide wrote:
runningman67 wrote:Beep! people who use the car horn for no good reason. Lazy reasons, a crash that never happened.

I usually only use my horn for the worst of crash avoidances...

IE:

Level 1 - Whoa, you cut me up there a little and nearly hit me, but it wasn't too close and was fairly slow speed... Have a quick flash of my lights you cad you...

Level 2 - Are you f***ing Romain Grosjean?!?!?! I like my car without dents... *hits horn - BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP* you f***ing nutter!!!

I think (but I could be wrong) that the horn is outlined in the highway code to only be used to raise awareness of your presence... I think my Level 2 fits that criteria...

I also think you aren't supposed to use it between 11pm and 7am...

I think you're right about using the horn between 7am and 11pm, but I think your level 2 is wrong for using it to make your presence known! That way of using it is in frustration and annoyance, whereas making people aware of your presence would be like beeping it just before going over a blind humped bridge or blind corner on a narrow road.

Beeping your horn when cut up is fairly pointless, if they did it on purpose then they won't care. If they did it bt mistake then it could alarm them too much, make them nervous and possibly crash or slam on the brakes causing you to smash into the back of them!

moby

Post by moby »

In many cases the horn is useless now. Cars are very sound proofed, and often have loud music inside, even drivers with buds so loud you can hear the hiss from outside the car if they are stopped.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

vikz22 wrote:

This, i hate being around people who are slightly rude, or talk abruptly. I;m fairly easy going guy, always say my please and thank yous and generally polite, but sometimes people can be a little rude around me, and i hate it!

Whereas I far prefer people who say what they think (without being obviously rude), rather than waffle around the subject for hours on end...

Admittedly, I've known a couple of people who take the abrupt approach too far - but at least you know where they stand immediately rather than having to listen for ages to find out what they're talking about!

Edit - Mind you, that's just me because thinking about it, all of my good friends come across as rude to some other people ... But I know they have hearts of gold, even if they come across as being over-bearing sometimes. Its only because they feel strongly about the issue.

vikz22

Post by vikz22 »

LKS1 wrote:
vikz22 wrote:

Whereas I far prefer people who say what they think (without being obviously rude), rather than waffle around the subject for hours on end...

Admittedly, I've known a couple of people who take the abrupt approach too far - but at least you know where they stand immediately rather than having to listen for ages to find out what they're talking about!

Edit - Mind you, that's just me because thinking about it, all of my good friends come across as rude to some other people ... But I know they have hearts of gold, even if they come across as being over-bearing sometimes. Its only because they feel strongly about the issue.

I know what you mean, a few of my very close friends are the same. Maybe I'm overly polite and my views on whats rude and whats not is too harsh

Rachie_D

Post by Rachie_D »

Never knowing whether people on here are joking or whether they're just pricks. My head hurts!

Edited to add that I stood on a slug without shoes on earlier. That was the worst.
http://rachie-d18.deviantart.com/ - Where I do drawings and such.

painless

Post by painless »

[quote="Rachie_D"]Never knowing whether people on here are joking or whether they're just pricks. My head hurts!

But what if they are joking and they're still pricks?

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

moby wrote:I have decided to have a rest before installing Linux in the morning. I may even dual (triple?) boot with XP.

How did that work out for you? Apparently dual-booting on UEFI machines could prove problematic because they were locking down components to UEFI in the same way games consoles do with their disk drives.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Rachie_D wrote:Never knowing whether people on here are joking or whether they're just pricks. My head hurts!

Edited to add that I stood on a slug without shoes on earlier. That was the worst.

Yuk, yuk yuk yuk!

DrG

Post by DrG »

SchumieRules wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:Never knowing whether people on here are joking or whether they're just pricks. My head hurts!

Yuk, yuk yuk yuk!

:thumbup: +1 :nod: :D

moby

Post by moby »

That'll teach slugs not to go out without shoes on then, wont it?

:lol: