Annoyances

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Rachie_D

Re: Annoyances

Post by Rachie_D »

Thinking 'I'll dye my hair at the end of this innings' an hour ago.
http://rachie-d18.deviantart.com/ - Where I do drawings and such.

Saz

Post by Saz »

My rear bike tyre did a Pirelli on me today. :x

I got knocked off it a few weeks back by an Audi, and although I took a good look, I didn't see any damage. Today, about 500 yards from work the tyre failed. The side wall collapsed completely, the tyre came off the rim and I very nearly faceplanted concrete. I can only deduce the knock must have misaligned the tyre, and that the tyre rubbed on the rim to the point of failure.

While I was gonna get some new road tyres for it anyway, this kinda forced the issue (right after I had to fork out for some new tools for work) so expensive week for me. Not amused.
The two most powerful warriors are patience and time…so remember: great achievements take time, there is no overnight success.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Saz wrote:My rear bike tyre did a Pirelli on me today. :x

I got knocked off it a few weeks back by an Audi, and although I took a good look, I didn't see any damage. Today, about 500 yards from work the tyre failed. The side wall collapsed completely, the tyre came off the rim and I very nearly faceplanted concrete. I can only deduce the knock must have misaligned the tyre, and that the tyre rubbed on the rim to the point of failure.

While I was gonna get some new road tyres for it anyway, this kinda forced the issue (right after I had to fork out for some new tools for work) so expensive week for me. Not amused.

This reminds me of one of my pet hates - people who overtake me only to immediately brake and turn left into a side road :x Downright dangerous when I'm either on my bike or my scooter.

Gothalamide

Post by Gothalamide »

LKS1 wrote:

This reminds me of one of my pet hates - people who overtake me only to immediately brake and turn left into a side road :x Downright dangerous when I'm either on my bike or my scooter.

Conversely, you can have the opposite situation...

My friend was driving his car, and wanted to turn right into a driveway. While driving along he indicated and then started to turn, only to be hit by a scooter rider who thought it would be a brilliant time to try and overtake...

Then again, I have very little respect for scooter riders (compared to most bike riders) cos 90% of them are young yobbos who have no respect at all for other road users... Charging around like they think they are Marc Marquez and the road is their personal race track...

:D :D :D

minchy

Post by minchy »

Gothalamide wrote:
LKS1 wrote:

My friend was driving his car, and wanted to turn right into a driveway. While driving along he indicated and then started to turn, only to be hit by a scooter rider who thought it would be a brilliant time to try and overtake...

Then again, I have very little respect for scooter riders (compared to most bike riders) cos 90% of them are young yobbos who have no respect at all for other road users... Charging around like they think they are Marc Marquez and the road is their personal race track...

I know what you mean, the younger riders seem to be the worst at traffic lights. there's a few sets I have to go through on the way home from work with double white lines in the middle of the road (for a good reason) and the number of times you see kids on mopeds charging down the outside of the queue of traffic and nearly getting hit is unreal!

As to the cars turning right thing, I don't understand why moped/scooter/bike riders (although rarely bike riders) do these kind of stupid things?! Not the same situation, but a friend of mine was killed on his bike 2 years ago going into the side of a horse box, I want to stress that it wasn't his fault and as I said a different situation as the horse box pulled out on him and he wasn't breaking the speed limit (the horse box driver did get jailed last year for this) but the point being that if you hit a car whilst driving a ped/bike, it can have a very bad outcome and I sometimes can't believe some riders put their own life at risk in these situations, when a bit of patience is all that is needed.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Gothalamide wrote:
LKS1 wrote:

Something v similar happened to me recently whilst turning right. Fortunately, I saw the young scooter driver overtaking just in time and managed to stop.

I agree that many young scooter drivers seem to have no concept of their own mortality..., but as an older scooter driver - I have learned to assume that everyone around me is likely to do the most idiotic thing possible (because they often do :-(( and I'm v aware of my vulnerability) and to allow for this.

Good_Year

Post by Good_Year »

moby wrote:
Good_Year wrote:My girlfriend's dog. It's a spoilt, it's one of those Lhasa Apso types, so even when it walks it oozes superiority (it curls it's tail up on to it's back) since I've met this dog I see this breed or mixes thereof all the time now. I don't like it, and I'm sure it doesn't like me. It's got Horrid teeth and if I did attach horns to it, it would look not to far from this

*source is Wookiepedia.

I like dogs, but Medium sized dogs, that are prepared to play/fetch/ be social to humans, I can't stand this "Pure Bred" overgrown rat. Mogrels make the best dogs!

(Yes I own a 13 year old black tom Cat, but before that my family had a Golden Labrador and a Colllie Mix)

Mix? Thats a funny name for a cross Lab collie

2 different dogs.

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

LKS1 wrote:
Gothalamide wrote:
LKS1 wrote:

Something v similar happened to me recently whilst turning right. Fortunately, I saw the young scooter driver overtaking just in time and managed to stop.

I agree that many young scooter drivers seem to have no concept of their own mortality..., but as an older scooter driver - I have learned to assume that everyone around me is likely to do the most idiotic thing possible (because they often do :-(( and I'm v aware of my vulnerability) and to allow for this.

Agree with that! When I did my CBT test years ago there was a young chap who got a scooter for his birthday and he dropped it twice and crashed into a fence at the training centre within the first 20 mins - the instructor sent him home. But it was unbelievable that he was actually prepared to go onto the open road - or more worryingly that his parents were going to let him.

minchy

Post by minchy »

On the topic of young, bad scooter riders - any cyclists who ride along the road with no hands.

It doesn't matter how good you are, a tiny bump or stone can unbalance you and you might not be able to control the wobble and end up under a car! (proof! At least there's no cars though!).

I had a close call today with a 20-something cyclist who wobbled a bit and swerved on a busy road in rush hour, I cant understand why you would take the risk?
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

moby

Post by moby »

minchy wrote:On the topic of young, bad scooter riders - any cyclists who ride along the road with no hands.

It doesn't matter how good you are, a tiny bump or stone can unbalance you and you might not be able to control the wobble and end up under a car! (proof! At least there's no cars though!).

I had a close call today with a 20-something cyclist who wobbled a bit and swerved on a busy road in rush hour, I cant understand why you would take the risk?

During the summer, I live on a holiday park, and this very morning was having a coffee on the way into town and a late teens cyclist came along at a fair lick in a no cycling zone with one hand in his trousers pocket. A child ran from its mother toward a stall with a bubble machine, concentration full on the bubbles, and said cyclist had to jerk the bars and hit a bollard.

Give him credit though, he wobbled off without falling, and he did not hit the kid. Probably a nice big bruise on his hip though.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

The English Defence League.

In the wake of more death threats coming my way [ironically one saying something to the effect that if I don't stop 'pretending' I'm receiving them, then I'll be killed :lol: ] I pointed out to the EDL leadership that their members are doing a crap job of defending white English citizens if this is what we can expect from them. The response from their followers - Robinson and Carroll never showed any interest, oddly! - was to insult me because I have a ginger beard.

That in itself wouldn't annoy me, I'd be able to laugh it off if I hadn't had a friend message me earlier saying she'd had enough and say goodbye, when she's been abused by her dad and now hasn't said anything for hours after that message. Between those two things I'm in the worst mood I've been in for years.
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Oh, and my new night splint gives me terrible cramp like I was told it wouldn't and offers none of the support it's designed to.
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

I'm having a great week aren't I, single-handedly keeping this on page one!!

Everyone else at uni is going on about having their modules listed now so they can go and buy books ready for the start of the year. Are mine online? Of course not. Will have to email my tutor this evening, except she's on study leave so I'll just get a computerised "I'll reply when I can" sort of answer.

Woo...

CarlPotter

Post by CarlPotter »

Phoning Sky a week ago to say that the bill is too high, might have to consider leaving. They gave us half-price sports for three months, then £3 off for 3 months as a goodwill gesture. Only to get a letter through the post saying our bill is going up by £2.50 in September.

Virgin Media is getting a new customer tonight.

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Keep getting recorded phone call regarding PPI :evil:

Jimbox01

Post by Jimbox01 »

runningman67 wrote:Keep getting recorded phone call regarding PPI :evil:

MMagnum PPI?

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Jimbox01 wrote:

MMagnum PPI?

I hung up, no idea, but maybe I should complain, it's plain wrong.

Jimbox01

Post by Jimbox01 »

runningman67 wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:

MMagnum PPI?

You can tell if it's Magnum by the hawaiian shirt - otherwise just register with the telephone preference service
It won't cut out all nuisance calls, but it does help.

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Jimbox01 wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:

MMagnum PPI?

You can tell if it's Magnum by the hawaiian shirt - otherwise just register with the telephone preference service

Thanks Jimbox :thumbup:

Rachie_D

Post by Rachie_D »

runningman67 wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:

MMagnum PPI?

Thanks Jimbox :thumbup:

It's also a good way of getting them to hang up when they do get through. 'We're registered with the telephone pre-' and they're gone.

painless

Post by painless »

Rachie_D wrote:It's also a good way of getting them to hang up when they do get through. 'We're registered with the telephone pre-' and they're gone.

These people are usually working to a script. I find going "off script" works a treat.
Question: can I tell you about our product?
Answer: Green
Question: your age sir?
Answer: fish
Pretty soon they get the message.

runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

painless wrote:
These people are usually working to a script. I find going "off script" works a treat.

Ha Ha :lol:
I'm actually looking forward to the next call now. :thumbup:

Rachie_D

Post by Rachie_D »

painless wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:It's also a good way of getting them to hang up when they do get through. 'We're registered with the telephone pre-' and they're gone.

:lol: :lol: I'll try that next time! The other one my boyfriend did was like this:
Phone: Hi, you have problems on you laptop.
Boyfriend: Oh no, what do I need to do (whilst making a sandwich)
Phone: Go to this website
Boyfriend: Ok, I've done that.
Phone: What has it come up with?
Boyfriend: Funny, it's just saying 'chocolate fudge cake off!' *hangs up*

They then proceeded to ring him back and have a go at him for wasting their time!

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

:lol:

I let the laptop ones take me right through everything that they reckon is wrong with my computer, then tell them once they're properly confused that to remotely scan a computer is illegal, not Microsoft policy AT ALL, and by the way my Mac is fine.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Oh my latest annoyance [yes they're still piling up...!] is that after 20 years I've finally had the full extent of my club foot diagnosed. Something that should have been sorted when I was 2 weeks old was written off as "a phase" until I was 11, when they decided I had a shortened achilles tendon. Surgery was done, nerves in my heel ruined forever, and I was signed off. Last summer a colleague casually commented I was walking on my toes again, so I went back to the physio who first recognised a problem and a newer member of staff took one look and recognised the undiagnosed club foot. He referred me straight back to a consultant, who has bounced me constantly back to physio for a year. I went back to him today because my new night splint has been leaving me with cramp, and he realised the lack of movement wasn't in the tendon but felt a lot more solid - IE bone. It needs an x-ray to make sure he's right, but basically it looks like another symptom of club foot: the bone has grown oddly so it locks rather than letting the joint go beyond 'flat'.

No wonder it was impossible to stretch the tendon beyond a certain point...

minchy

Post by minchy »

Sounds like typical NHS diagnosing the cheapest option and ignoring your description of symptoms. I know where you're coming from, after my wife was diagnosed wrongly with depression aged 13 she was on the wrong medication for over 15 years until just after we were married I took her to the doctors myself and told them they were wrong which they wouldn't believe. In the end we paid for a private specialist who diagnosed her something much more serious (which is what I had suspected) without even telling them why we had come in detail.

If you can ever afford it, you may be better trying to get just 1 consultation privately. Private doctors, physios etc them if they have a different idea to your other consultant, the NHS doctors still are professionally bound to look at the private doctors notes and diagnosis so you may get a little further to getting the correct treatment.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

The physio, thankfully, is private. I'm now looking at an NHS x-ray being booked tomorrow so we can see where the issue really is.

FlyingScot

Post by FlyingScot »

My football team just got beat 9-0 (2-0 away, 7-0 at home) on aggregate in their Europa League qualifier...and I paid for the privilege of watching it. Bad night :(

Jimbox01

Post by Jimbox01 »

minchy wrote:Sounds like typical NHS diagnosing the cheapest option and ignoring your description of symptoms. I know where you're coming from, after my wife was diagnosed wrongly with depression aged 13 she was on the wrong medication for over 15 years until just after we were married I took her to the doctors myself and told them they were wrong which they wouldn't believe. In the end we paid for a private specialist who diagnosed her something much more serious (which is what I had suspected) without even telling them why we had come in detail.

If you can ever afford it, you may be better trying to get just 1 consultation privately. Private doctors, physios etc them if they have a different idea to your other consultant, the NHS doctors still are professionally bound to look at the private doctors notes and diagnosis so you may get a little further to getting the correct treatment.
The NHS are fantastic at dealing with critical conditions, in my experience you really cannot fault them. However, when it comes to chronic conditions, that's when it starts to get somewhat patchy.

But then consultants / doctors in the private sector are not infallible either (they very often work in both sectors anyway), especially when it comes to more complex conditions that require a clinical diagnosis.

I’ve had a broken wrist misdiagnosed by a junior (I think) NHS doctor – he said it wasn’t broken when it was – but then I’ve also been wrongly diagnosed with a chronic neurological condition by a private sector specialist, who was supposed to be the very best person in the whole country – he literally wrote the book on young onset movement disorders.

Then there's a friend of mine who was recently (unsuccessfully) treated privately for a serious eye condition, and the only reason it got sorted out was because his brother, an NHS consultant, challenged the diagnosis – if his brother hadn’t gone to visit at Christmas, he might never have got his sight back.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Ah, stop scaring me people. I have my MRI booked soon, suspected torn meniscus, f*cking hurts and I want to walk properly again. I don't want to have to do it again...

minchy

Post by minchy »

Jimbox01 wrote:
minchy wrote:Sounds like typical NHS diagnosing the cheapest option and ignoring your description of symptoms. I know where you're coming from, after my wife was diagnosed wrongly with depression aged 13 she was on the wrong medication for over 15 years until just after we were married I took her to the doctors myself and told them they were wrong which they wouldn't believe. In the end we paid for a private specialist who diagnosed her something much more serious (which is what I had suspected) without even telling them why we had come in detail.

The NHS are fantastic at dealing with critical conditions, in my experience you really cannot fault them. However, when it comes to chronic conditions, that's when it starts to get somewhat patchy.

But then consultants / doctors in the private sector are not infallible either (they very often work in both sectors anyway), especially when it comes to more complex conditions that require a clinical diagnosis.

I’ve had a broken wrist misdiagnosed by a junior (I think) NHS doctor – he said it wasn’t broken when it was – but then I’ve also been wrongly diagnosed with a chronic neurological condition by a private sector specialist, who was supposed to be the very best person in the whole country – he literally wrote the book on young onset movement disorders.

Then there's a friend of mine who was recently (unsuccessfully) treated privately for a serious eye condition, and the only reason it got sorted out was because his brother, an NHS consultant, challenged the diagnosis – if his brother hadn’t gone to visit at Christmas, he might never have got his sight back.

That's good points, but the one thing where the NHS falls short is money! They try their best to spend as little as possible, which is one reason why there are so many charities like McMillan's in the UK, to help people where the NHS can't afford to. It's not their fault, but they need to work that way to keep our NHS contributions down and stop the Tories selling it off!

1 good example I've had myself recently (which would also come under the annoyance category) was when my wife recently had to alter her medication, they prescribed the tablets which she said she couldn't take (I don't know why either, she can't physically swallow any tablets as she gags instantly) they said try it for 2 weeks and come back to us if you're stll having problems.

Long story short, she got worse quickly, well within a week, after not being able to take them. I called the doctors and asked for the liquid form of the medicine and they got me a prescription ready straight away when I described my wife's symptoms. He did apologise to me for his colleague prescribing the tablets and also explained that they did so because the liquid form costs a lot more than the tablets and all GP's have been told to lower their spending!

vikz22

Post by vikz22 »

FlyingScot wrote:My football team just got beat 9-0 (2-0 away, 7-0 at home) on aggregate in their Europa League qualifier...and I paid for the privilege of watching it. Bad night :(

which team?

FlyingScot

Post by FlyingScot »

vikz22 wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:My football team just got beat 9-0 (2-0 away, 7-0 at home) on aggregate in their Europa League qualifier...and I paid for the privilege of watching it. Bad night :(

which team?

Hibernian FC

painless

Post by painless »

vikz22 wrote:which team?

Barnstoneworth ?

moby

Post by moby »

Some of my 'mis-diagnoses' complements of NHS

Gout, 3 broken bones in my foot.

hernia, Colon cancer.

Another hernia due to having abdominal wall cut. Cancer again.

I have been having an itchy bum but am scared to see about it incase they say its worms.

Tyrrellforever

Post by Tyrrellforever »

One of my neighbours is a royal pain in the ****.

Their dogs bark almost non-stop from 8am in the morning, going on all day until midnight and 1am+ some nights.
Except sundays, you can tell its a sunday here without looking at anything, as come 8-9am he's out with the hammer and hammers away hour after hour.. god knows what he's doing/building but its been going on years.
aaaaand.. the rare days the dogs shut up, he's playing 'music' at a deafening volume. (and I use the term 'music' lightly)

Really really really ****s me off.. the irritating bleeder. :(

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

Tyrrellforever wrote:One of my neighbours is a royal pain in the ****.

Their dogs bark almost non-stop from 8am in the morning, going on all day until midnight and 1am+ some nights.
Except sundays, you can tell its a sunday here without looking at anything, as come 8-9am he's out with the hammer and hammers away hour after hour.. god knows what he's doing/building but its been going on years.
aaaaand.. the rare days the dogs shut up, he's playing 'music' at a deafening volume. (and I use the term 'music' lightly)

Really really really ****s me off.. the irritating bleeder. :(

I used to have a neighbour like that, pain in the pickle.

My current neighbours have two teenage offspring. Neither of which seems to have a key. So when they come home at 3 in the morning, as teenagers do, whichever one is out that night tries to wake the other one up to open the door. It starts with knocking. Then they shout. screaming their lungs out at the early hours of what always seems to be Monday morning... that wakes the Dad up, who has an even bigger mouth. This wakes up another neighbour's dog. By this time, half the street is up and tiddled. This happens maybe once or twice a month, yet he still hasn't gotten them a bloody key cut.
IV

vikz22

Post by vikz22 »

my mac hard drive just failed, super annoyed!
luckily i bought a new one recently so i can work, but i haven't had a chance to move my stuff from the old mac to new,

i just hope i can recover some of the data on it!

moby

Post by moby »

vikz22 wrote:my mac hard drive just failed, super annoyed!
luckily i bought a new one recently so i can work, but i haven't had a chance to move my stuff from the old mac to new,

I am changing laptops. The new one still in the post, so I move everything I want to keep, old pics, vids music etc onto a 64gig stick I just got off ebay.

Checked file size etc, Fine until I try to watch a vid off the stick, it does not play :?

40 gig of unplayable files.

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

vikz22 wrote:my mac hard drive just failed, super annoyed!

Try mounting it with an external SATA connecter. When my hdd failed, I found that while windows wouldn't load, I could still browse the disk by doing this. If you have a macbook air, you'll need a Zif to SATA converter to do the same thing.

@Moby, how big are the video files, and what error does it give, and in which media player is it trying to open?