Curiosity lands on Mars

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Asphalt_World

Curiosity lands on Mars

Post by Asphalt_World »

What an amazing success (so far).

I've been following it's progress since it launched late last year.

This morning it went from thousands of miles an hour to about 900 after the use of a parachute.

Then with the help of rockets and being lowered on cables it touched down at just over half a metre a second!!!!!

What a phenomenal piece of engineering.

First pictures are great. Can't wait to hear from it once it's fully operational!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Nakojo

Re: Curiosity lands on Mars

Post by Nakojo »

Excellent slideshow plus info here: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/m ... vents.html
"Too often we take for granted what our collective dream tells us is possible or impossible, acceptable or unacceptable."
The Four Insights by Alberto Villoldo

MrMuttley

Post by MrMuttley »

Awesome acheivement with an added bonus of being able to laugh at the naysayers. They like to whine about the cost £1.6 billion / $2.5 Billion. The worlds space program has paid for itself multiple times over with life changing discoveries like advance in weather forecasting and navigation, Enhanced medical knowledge, better understanding of climate change, The pioneering of the computer age was vastly assisted by the space program. right down to the little things like Velcro and Nonstick coating that you may not even realise you have untill it's gone.

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

Cool

I must say, it's still not as cool as a Saturn V rocket, my all time engineering favourite, but anything that travels distances in the millions of kilometers at thousands of kph and manages to land at a speed that wouldn't kill me to land at it pretty damn impressive. I look forward to more info on this, though BBC news probably won't cover it that well due to the Olympics...

9 months for it to get there. Assuming it's signal home travels at light speed then thats about 3 minutes. Anyway, on the whole VERY cool news. While I'm for cutting waste in the Economy and all that, this is certainly not a waste.

MrMuttley

Post by MrMuttley »

domdonald

Post by domdonald »

Haha. Several years ago I worked on the Beagle 2 Mars Lander, which was ejected from Mars Express. In fact, I was responsible for the testing of the Entry, Descent and Landing (Crashing) System. I can assure you it worked fine when I'd finished with it :D

The software was knocked up in a few months, had practically zero failure recovery mechanism (reboot, reboot). Unfortunately the reboot took about 30 seconds, yet the inflation of the airbags and the deployment / release of the parachute required a calculation based on an estimated profile of the martian atmosphere which was sampled every 30ms or so. So if the accuracy required for successful deployment (assuming the estimated profile was accurate) was 30ms yet the reboot took 1000 times that, then...well... not much chance of recovery in the event of software failure!

A radar altimeter was bolted onto the lander at the last minute just to add a level of confidence.. but the whole software was about 8000 lines, the lander had less processing power than my mobile phone (and my toaster, come to that) and no backup / hot redundant / cold redundant capability.

It was the size of a bicycle wheel and plummeted to the Martian surface, never to be heard of again (it couldn't transmit telemetry during the descent because of the heat shields). May it was gobbled up by a ravenous Bugblatter Beast, but possibly it just shattered into smithereens on the surface.

I got a certificate for my achievements (total failure :))

So at least the yanks go for it and do it properly, getting the funding to make a good job of it. Shame we Brits couldn't be bothered to do it properly!

Guia

Post by Guia »

MrMuttley wrote:Image

:lol:

COG

Post by COG »

Really thrilling. I can't wait for the first high res pictures. :nod:

domdonald

Post by domdonald »

COG wrote:Really thrilling. I can't wait for the first high res pictures. :nod:

i bet it will show some thrilling reddish coloured rocks

painless

Post by painless »

There was life on Mars; feline life...unfortunately curiosity killed the cat!

hell I've been on planes that hit the ground harder than that. Now just don't get it stuck in a hole or anything.

COG

Post by COG »

domdonald wrote:

i bet it will show some thrilling reddish coloured rocks
Yes, most likely, but I still find it thrilling...

lunatic

Post by lunatic »

There you go.

ImageImageImage

lunatic

Post by lunatic »

And another one

ImageImageImage

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Here's one for PC gamers from the early 90s:

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

mprules

Post by mprules »

domdonald wrote:Haha. Several years ago I worked on the Beagle 2 Mars Lander, which was ejected from Mars Express. In fact, I was responsible for the testing of the Entry, Descent and Landing (Crashing) System. I can assure you it worked fine when I'd finished with it :D

The software was knocked up in a few months, had practically zero failure recovery mechanism (reboot, reboot). Unfortunately the reboot took about 30 seconds, yet the inflation of the airbags and the deployment / release of the parachute required a calculation based on an estimated profile of the martian atmosphere which was sampled every 30ms or so. So if the accuracy required for successful deployment (assuming the estimated profile was accurate) was 30ms yet the reboot took 1000 times that, then...well... not much chance of recovery in the event of software failure!

A radar altimeter was bolted onto the lander at the last minute just to add a level of confidence.. but the whole software was about 8000 lines, the lander had less processing power than my mobile phone (and my toaster, come to that) and no backup / hot redundant / cold redundant capability.

It was the size of a bicycle wheel and plummeted to the Martian surface, never to be heard of again (it couldn't transmit telemetry during the descent because of the heat shields). May it was gobbled up by a ravenous Bugblatter Beast, but possibly it just shattered into smithereens on the surface.

I got a certificate for my achievements (total failure :))

So at least the yanks go for it and do it properly, getting the funding to make a good job of it. Shame we Brits couldn't be bothered to do it properly!

That's pretty cool.
I find the idea of sending a machine so far away on it's own absolutely fascinating.
Any (definitive) idea about what went wrong?

Hornet_Driver

Post by Hornet_Driver »

This is not an insult to my British friends but I thought this was funny

Red Bull Racing

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Instagram @simply_italian_cars

minchy

Post by minchy »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Here's one for PC gamers from the early 90s:

Aw Alien, the invasion from hell took place on Deimos and Phobos but never made it onto Mars itself! (Although somehow made onto Earth for the sequal)
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.