Sergio Pininfarina 1926-2012

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Asphalt_World

Re: Sergio Pininfarina 1926-2012

Post by Asphalt_World »

One of the biggest influences on the motor car, not too mention a great number of other things.

Heck, I even used ski lifts designed by his company in Bormio, Italy!

RIP
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

MrMuttley

Post by MrMuttley »

Asphalt_World wrote:One of the biggest influences on the motor car, not too mention a great number of other things.

RIP

That sums up the Italian approach to design for me. Where else would you get a man famed for his car design to make a ski lift.

He even managed to bring a bit of flair to awful 1970s car designs. Now that took talent. :nod:

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

MrMuttley wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:One of the biggest influences on the motor car, not too mention a great number of other things.

RIP

That sums up the Italian approach to design for me. Where else would you get a man famed for his car design to make a ski lift.

He even managed to bring a bit of flair to awful 1970s car designs. Now that took talent. :nod:

As a proud owner of a Series III Jaguar XJ6, I have to agree. Not that there was anything wrong with the first two iterations of the XJ6, they were elegant cars with typical British charm, and class, but had become somewhat dated by the end of the '70s.

So they asked Pininfarina to evolve the platform without losing the basic look of the car. What they delivered was a sleeker, sexier version of the car which makes me smile everytime I look at mine. (even though she does need a fresh coat of paint) If only they could have also done something about the Lucas electronics, and overly complicated supply/return setup on the dual tank fuel system. ;)
{Insert clever sig line here}

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Sad news :(

F40 was one of the most beautiful cars ever designed
eeee

Guia

Post by Guia »

dizlexik wrote:Sad news :(

F40 was one of the most beautiful cars ever designed

While Sergio headed up the design team for the F40, I don't know how much creative influence he had. As I understand it his oeuvre is perhaps not that impressive in terms of works penned by him, no matter his overall output might seem prodigious. He did though give us the 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider and of course oversaw the creation of many more great cars. It seems he was instrumental in Ferrari taking up the mid-engine concept for their commercial products, leading directly to the legendary Dino.

Also worth a mention: he was the cousin of 1950 WDC Giuseppe Farina.