The Official Tour de France 2012 Thread

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
moose22

The Official Tour de France 2012 Thread

Post by moose22 »

Starts today with a 6km prologue around the streets of Liege. :)

Fabian Cancellara and Bradley Wiggins are perhaps favourite to take yellow today...but, who knows, this is the Tour after all.

Wiggins is favourite for the top step in Paris. It's the first time a Brit has been tipped to win in the Tour's history, so, fingers crossed he can do it. My only concern is that how his team - Sky, are going to be able to support Wiggins for the overall AND Mark Cavendish in the sprints. If they kill themselves to line up Cavendish in the sprints in the early stages, will it take to much out of them to support Wiggins in the Mountains?

It so hard to be there for one man..... but two? :?
Everyday you know more.

rife_hypocricy

Re: The Official Tour de France 2012 Thread

Post by rife_hypocricy »

looks good, are they going past spa?

schumisux

Post by schumisux »

When does it start? can't see anythin live yet.

rife_hypocricy

Post by rife_hypocricy »

starts at 3pm cet

come on wiggins!!!

manx missile starts soon :D

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

Cancellara is going to take the yellow, he is the fastest at the second split.

EDIT : The first split rather, there is only one.
Apparently religious people didn't like my signature, hah! Don't read it if you are so offended by it.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

moose22

Post by moose22 »

Spartacus does it again :o

And well done to Wiggins for his second place. This Tour suits him. Baring injuries it's a cert what with his time trailing skills.

Also, we know now that Cavendish won't be contesting the Green Jersey. That means the team will give all their support to Wiggins. Expect Cav to abandon before the mountains. His big aim is the Olympic Gold medal so he will save his energy for that.
Everyday you know more.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Great start for Wiggins. What a chance he has this year.

A good number of TT's, only two mountain top finishes I think and a team all chosen for his cause.

COME ON SKY!

Fabio was masterful today though. Seriously muscles on his legs!!!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

Sagan shows once again that he not only has the muscles but also the brains, perfectly using Cancellara to beat Boasson Hagen. :thumbup:
Apparently religious people didn't like my signature, hah! Don't read it if you are so offended by it.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

moose22

Post by moose22 »

sultanofhyd wrote:Sagan shows once again that he not only has the muscles but also the brains, perfectly using Cancellara to beat Boasson Hagen. :thumbup:

A good win but he owes Cancellara loads cos he didn't work in the final kilometer or so, but yeah, a great ride and rider. One to look out for in the future.
Everyday you know more.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Well that got exciting towards the end. Pace was super quick before that last ramp. Massive respect to Cancellara, he's a monster but great spot by Sagan to get on his wheel and made it look easy at the end. Good to see Wiggins staying out of trouble.
If...

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

moose22 wrote:
sultanofhyd wrote:Sagan shows once again that he not only has the muscles but also the brains, perfectly using Cancellara to beat Boasson Hagen. :thumbup:

A good win but he owes Cancellara loads cos he didn't work in the final kilometer or so, but yeah, a great ride and rider. One to look out for in the future.

There is no obligation for anyone to work during sprint stages, especially not during the final kilometre - Cancellara just got outsmarted. It always happens when a break comes to a sprint finish, one guy does the donkey work and the other guy picks up the spoils.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

I think it will be between Evans and Wiggins. Frank Shleck is awful at TT. He will probably be able keep up at Mountains so he will be in top 5-7 at the end, but no way he will win it. Andy isn't missing anything he would never had a chance to win either. I wonder whether Liquigas will try the same extreme strategy like during Giro. There aren't many mountains so Liquigas will try everything to drop all Nibali rivals at 2 big mountains stages. Still I don't see Nibali winning it.
eeee

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

dizlexik wrote:I think it will be between Evans and Wiggins. Frank Shleck is awful at TT. He will probably be able keep up at Mountains so he will be in top 5-7 at the end, but no way he will win it. Andy isn't missing anything he would never had a chance to win either. I wonder whether Liquigas will try the same extreme strategy like during Giro. There aren't many mountains so Liquigas will try everything to drop all Nibali rivals at 2 big mountains stages. Still I don't see Nibali winning it.

Shleck lost 30 seconds over 6.4km yesterday so really can't see him being near the sharp end come the finish. Evans will just suffer for the whole race and be there or there abouts come Paris, no one can suffer like Evans can. Wiggins with his TT'ing should be in with a really good shot but if he has a bad TT it's difficult to see him making a lot of time up anywhere else.
If...

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

PzR Slim wrote:
dizlexik wrote:I think it will be between Evans and Wiggins. Frank Shleck is awful at TT. He will probably be able keep up at Mountains so he will be in top 5-7 at the end, but no way he will win it. Andy isn't missing anything he would never had a chance to win either. I wonder whether Liquigas will try the same extreme strategy like during Giro. There aren't many mountains so Liquigas will try everything to drop all Nibali rivals at 2 big mountains stages. Still I don't see Nibali winning it.

Shleck lost 30 seconds over 6.4km yesterday so really can't see him being near the sharp end come the finish. Evans will just suffer for the whole race and be there or there abouts come Paris, no one can suffer like Evans can. Wiggins with his TT'ing should be in with a really good shot but if he has a bad TT it's difficult to see him making a lot of time up anywhere else.

Even when Shelck loses 10+ minutes during TTs he still should be able to not lose much time at mountains. If he is at his usual form top 10 is easily within his reach. I guess many good TTers won't survive mountains without significant loses.
eeee

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

dizlexik wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

Even when Shelck loses 10+ minutes during TTs he still should be able to not lose much time at mountains. If he is at his usual form top 10 is easily within his reach. I guess many good TTers won't survive mountains without significant loses.

Oh yeah top 10 is possible but I was meaning I can't see him with a chance of top 3.
If...

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

PzR Slim wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

Oh yeah top 10 is possible but I was meaning I can't see him with a chance of top 3.

Yes.

I hope it won't be as boring as Giro and we will see some serious fight during few mountains stages. I also hope that Sagan and Cavendish won't quit too early.
eeee

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

dizlexik wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

Yes.

I hope it won't be as boring as Giro and we will see some serious fight during few mountains stages. I also hope that Sagan and Cavendish won't quit too early.

Yeah it could be a very defensive race with not much attacking from the GC guys. I heard an interview with Cav the other day where he said he regretted quitting last time For the Olympics and won't do it again.
If...

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

Frank won't even get the top 10 if he TTs like he did in the first stage. There are some very good allrounders in the field like Valverde, Rojas, Kiryienka and even Cancellara that won't lose much time in this year's rudimentary mountain stages. The Movistar team is full of such allrounders.

That is how de Gendt nicked a podium in the Giro. Frank should be absolutely at his best in the TTs to get a decent placing.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

I see Tony Martin fractured his wrist yesterday but is still planning on being at the start line today #bigballs

So we should have our first large bunch sprint today. Will Cav make a slow start like last year or is he going to try and get his wins early?
If...

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

sultanofhyd wrote:Frank won't even get the top 10 if he TTs like he did in the first stage. There are some very good allrounders in the field like Valverde, Rojas, Kiryienka and even Cancellara that won't lose much time in this year's rudimentary mountain stages. The Movistar team is full of such allrounders.

That is how de Gendt nicked a podium in the Giro. Frank should be absolutely at his best in the TTs to get a decent placing.

Are you serious? During Olympic year he won't be prepared for mountains. His weight is 80 kg. He will lose a lot of time at the end of tour if he plans to finish it.
eeee

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Fantastic win Cavendish.
eeee

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Who needs a train! Another fantastic win for Cav, picked the perfect wheel at exactly the right time.

Wiggins and Evans also looking pretty easy even at that really quick pace towards the end.
If...

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

I missed the stage yesterday, just saw the finish now. Great work from Cavendish, he was in no place to win the stage. :thumbup:

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Looks like another nasty couple of lumps towards the end of the stage with another wicked ramp up just before the finish apparently. Decent chance for a breakaway today I think as long as it doesn't contain anybody dangerous for GC.
If...

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

PzR Slim wrote:Looks like another nasty couple of lumps towards the end of the stage with another wicked ramp up just before the finish apparently. Decent chance for a breakaway today I think as long as it doesn't contain anybody dangerous for GC.

Orica-GreenEdge is hell bent on making Goss win this stage so I don't think the breakaway has a chance.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/goss-gr ... on-stage-3

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

sultanofhyd wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:Looks like another nasty couple of lumps towards the end of the stage with another wicked ramp up just before the finish apparently. Decent chance for a breakaway today I think as long as it doesn't contain anybody dangerous for GC.

Orica-GreenEdge is hell bent on making Goss win this stage so I don't think the breakaway has a chance.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/goss-gr ... on-stage-3

Sounds like it's going to be a thrilling stage then. Quite a statement to make by Goss and Orica.
If...

moose22

Post by moose22 »

dizlexik wrote:Fantastic win Cavendish.

Deliberately stayed away from the news and this forum cos I couldn't watch the stage or highlights until this morning, but yeah, he got a stage win without having any lead out teammates. Great stuff. And the curse of the Rainbow Jersey has kick in yet (let's hope that it doesn't) so it's going real well for Cavendish.

Still expect Cav to quit before the mountains though.
Everyday you know more.

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

Hesjedal and a bunch of Astana riders including Kashechkin, Vinokourov involved in a crash. Garmin doesn't think Hesjedal deserves any help from his teammates. :uhoh:

EDIT : They now send three riders to help.

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

Wow. A big crash now, half the field down or held up. No info on the big names involved yet.

Sivtsov, Farrar, Martin. Sivtsov doesn't seem to be in a position to continue.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Cavendish and Voeckler are behind peloton :O
eeee

toilet

Post by toilet »

Well, the last 80km of this stage have been a bit crazy bonkers.
"you can never be too paranoid"

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

toilet wrote:Well, the last 80km of this stage have been a bit crazy bonkers.

Yeah can't remember seeing so many mechanicals on a stage.
If...

toilet

Post by toilet »

Well that was bloody exciting all the way in. It seems odd to say, but I hope Wiggins was involved in that crash at the end.

Edited to say - Excellent, he was caught in it, so still only +7seconds.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Sagan :D

Sky did bad job protecting Wiggins.
eeee

toilet

Post by toilet »

dizlexik wrote:Sagan :D

Yeah, for a team that's been all about being very well organised, they've not exactly been on it so far. Having said that, after the 3rd stage proper they've had 1 stage win, they're 2nd in the overall atandings, and apparently leading the teams' standings.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

toilet wrote:
dizlexik wrote:Sagan :D

Yeah, for a team that's been all about being very well organised, they've not exactly been on it so far. Having said that, after the 3rd stage proper they've had 1 stage win, they're 2nd in the overall atandings, and apparently leading the teams' standings.

Well I've seen finish again and it wasn't that bad for Sky. It was bad luck, nothing more. Honestly if Wiggins want to win the few seconds he could have lost should never matter.
eeee

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Good finish. Sagan really is the real deal. Wiggins was clever there, I think he made sure he was in the crash just so he didn't have to put the effort in to stay at the front. Every bit of energy he can save is going to matter come Paris.
If...

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

So who crashed?
eeee

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

dizlexik wrote:So who crashed?

Haven't really seen a replay yet. Cav went down hard, not sure what happened to Eissel.
If...

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

Sean Yates said Cavendish is okay.