What F1 game do you use and how good is it?

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Gixxer1000

What F1 game do you use and how good is it?

Post by Gixxer1000 »

I have an old F1 2002 and i havent replaced it since i like it.
It feels very authentic and it has telemetry. (In my opinion the best way to get faster)
I can feel every change to the car, and it makes a difference on laptimes.
What i could see from the reviews on F1 2012 its not so good on PS3
as the other platforms and PC? Is that correct?
Wich one is good for multiplaying?
Does 2012 have telemetry?

Tufty

Re: What F1 game do you use and how good is it?

Post by Tufty »

I think in terms of car setup the most variety I saw was F1 2005.
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

F1 97 is still the best F1 game ever IMO. It was what a game is supposed to be, fun.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Khazrak134

Post by Khazrak134 »

i think F1 2002 for PC was my favourite. i spent hours and hours playing that game and loved it. but right now i play F1 2011

Gixxer1000

Post by Gixxer1000 »

Khazrak134 wrote:i think F1 2002 for PC was my favourite. i spent hours and hours playing that game and loved it. but right now i play F1 2011

Does the 2011 have telemetry?

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

Gixxer1000 wrote:Does the 2011 have telemetry?

No. The last F1 specific game to have telemetry was ISI's F1 Challenge 99-02.

The follow on to that, the rFactor series does not have built in telemetry, but allows for exporting data into MoTec's i2 software: http://ftp.cqfd-corp.org/rfactor-motec.gif

Although there isn't an F1 mod for it yet, rFactor 2 is taking up a lot of my free time at the moment,

j man

Post by j man »

Geoff Crammond's GP3 on the PC. I loved being able to save the game mid-race, thus allowing me to do full race distances without getting bored. Also probably more realistic than any of the F1 games on the PlayStation, which always felt a bit 'arcadey' to me. The best thing about the Geoff Crammond games is that I always got the impression that they had been made by genuine fans who wanted to create the best F1 game they could, as opposed to some people in a board room wanting to make a game that will sell as many copies as possible.

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

Gixxer1000 wrote:I have an old F1 2002 and i havent replaced it since i like it.
It feels very authentic and it has telemetry. (In my opinion the best way to get faster)

How are you hearing bad reviews for F1 2012? The game hasn't even been released yet, it's still being built.
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

RocketSkates

Post by RocketSkates »

j man wrote:Geoff Crammond's GP3 on the PC. I loved being able to save the game mid-race, thus allowing me to do full race distances without getting bored. Also probably more realistic than any of the F1 games on the PlayStation, which always felt a bit 'arcadey' to me. The best thing about the Geoff Crammond games is that I always got the impression that they had been made by genuine fans who wanted to create the best F1 game they could, as opposed to some people in a board room wanting to make a game that will sell as many copies as possible.

GP3 for me too :) I spent countless hours on that game and never got bored! Amazing game but I never got to try GP4. GP4 seems to have 2011 mods available for it so it may be worth purchasing
#3 - Daniel Ricciardo

bouncemaker

Post by bouncemaker »

I have F1 2011 for PC and like it. It gives a number of set-up options for the cars and tires so you can play around with them. I haven't played much, though, since I only bought a cheap Thrustmaster wheel. It doesn't clamp well. Right now, I'm saving up for a racing seat, and once I get one and practice up on F1 2011, I'll probably buy F1 2012 since I like the game itself.
There is no try, only do.

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

I have F1 WGP on the N64 then F1 2010 and 2011 on the Xbox.

I like 2010 but 2011 is more fun somehow. The thing they miss that F1 WGP had is the challenge mode. It had stuff like "You are 2nd as DC in Spa when the rain comes down hard with 3 laps to go. Schumi pits from the lead for Wet tires. Stay out and win the race." They were bloody hard (certainly when I was young they were) but added a whole other dimension to the game. I'd love it if Codies did something similar. Even if they were all made up situations I'd love them to be brought back.

I play the 360 games with the Microsoft Wireless Wheel. It was slightly mroe expensive than the 3rd party made one, but it has force feedback which I really like. I like a VERY heavy wheel in F1 and Forza. Forza's feedback is great, you can really get a good idea of what is going on just by the wheel.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

F1 World Grand Prix 2 on the N64.

The first one was great but the 2nd one was just unreal.

After playing WGP 1 for ages, the transition to 2 was seamless. But after months of playing 2, I went back to 1 and it was like a step back in time. The graphics and handling weren't up to scratch.

The only downer was that WGP 2 had no extras. WGP 1 had the gold and silver cars, the "Senna ghost car", the Hawaiian bonus track (through the volcano), etc.

I like the '99-'02 Career Challenge as well. For some reason I have found those old games to be much more entertaining than today's Codemasters' games.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Gixxer1000

Post by Gixxer1000 »

specdecible wrote:
Gixxer1000 wrote:I have an old F1 2002 and i havent replaced it since i like it.

How are you hearing bad reviews for F1 2012? The game hasn't even been released yet, it's still being built.

There are some on you tube, i think it was the 2 guys on simracing that said so but i cant find it.

Crazy_Ivan

Post by Crazy_Ivan »

I still play this and it is still the best.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Laura23 wrote:F1 97 is still the best F1 game ever IMO. It was what a game is supposed to be, fun.

This, quite frankly.

It had an arcade mode that was great fun if you just wanted to mess around and then a surprisingly in-depth "sim" mode if you wanted to spend time tweaking set ups and doing a whole championship. The ai was good (I once had a red flag at Monaco because of a big crash, something later games struggled with), it was well balanced between being realistic and being fun, the graphics were fabulous for the time, it even had some awesome cheats (my favourite was the one that turned the cars into ones from the fifties and put a black and white filter on the screen) . It was an all-round superb game. Just a shame that F1 98 (which I think was developed by someone else but published by the same company) was so f**king awful.

*starts digging in loft for copy of F1 97*
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

j man

Post by j man »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Laura23 wrote:F1 97 is still the best F1 game ever IMO. It was what a game is supposed to be, fun.

This, quite frankly.

It had an arcade mode that was great fun if you just wanted to mess around and then a surprisingly in-depth "sim" mode if you wanted to spend time tweaking set ups and doing a whole championship. The ai was good (I once had a red flag at Monaco because of a big crash, something later games struggled with), it was well balanced between being realistic and being fun, the graphics were fabulous for the time, it even had some awesome cheats (my favourite was the one that turned the cars into ones from the fifties and put a black and white filter on the screen) . It was an all-round superb game. Just a shame that F1 98 (which I think was developed by someone else but published by the same company) was so f**king awful.

Yeah I remember F1 98. I think I played it for less than a day before I went reaching for my copy of F1 97 again. I dug out my old copy of the game a few months ago to play it on my PC using an emulator. Happy childhood memories came flooding back in an instant!

"He's hit the Canadian!" :D

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

This, quite frankly.

This. This. This.

I remember the cheat that made it rain frogs, another that made the tyres absolutely massive and another that give you a Wipeout mode! Think I remember some tracks as cheats too? Portugal, Aida and Adelaide?

As a kid it had everything you could ask for in an F1 game. Playing as Hill in an Arrows, Berger in a Benetton and good old Driver Number 1 in the Williams! ;) I wish my PS2 was working and with me in London now. :(
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

j man

Post by j man »

Laura23 wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

This, quite frankly.

This. This. This.

I remember the cheat that made it rain frogs, another that made the tyres absolutely massive and another that give you a Wipeout mode! Think I remember some tracks as cheats too? Portugal, Aida and Adelaide?

As a kid it had everything you could ask for in an F1 game. Playing as Hill in an Arrows, Berger in a Benetton and good old Driver Number 1 in the Williams! ;) I wish my PS2 was working and with me in London now. :(

I think Estoril was in the regular championship season on the game (although it wasn't in real life). The third bonus track was an awesome fictional circuit they had made up with some insane gradients and a nice mix of corners called Sunob (i.e. Bonus backwards). It was slightly annoying that the two 'real' bonus tracks (Aida and Adelaide) were a mirror image of themselves, i.e. all right hand corners were left handers in the game and vice versa. Maybe they couldn't use the actual circuits for some legal reason?

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Grand Prix Legends.

Simply stunning even today.

Engine sounds are a particular highlight.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Formula1Fan.

Post by Formula1Fan. »

was that on the PS1? if it's the one I'm thinking of, I agree. 'Specially in arcade mode (although no doubt some will argue it's not 'proper' racing). :)
We want heroes, but there are few, mainly it's cars - Pedro De La Rosa

vikz22

Post by vikz22 »

RocketSkates wrote:
j man wrote:Geoff Crammond's GP3 on the PC. I loved being able to save the game mid-race, thus allowing me to do full race distances without getting bored. Also probably more realistic than any of the F1 games on the PlayStation, which always felt a bit 'arcadey' to me. The best thing about the Geoff Crammond games is that I always got the impression that they had been made by genuine fans who wanted to create the best F1 game they could, as opposed to some people in a board room wanting to make a game that will sell as many copies as possible.

GP3 for me too :) I spent countless hours on that game and never got bored! Amazing game but I never got to try GP4. GP4 seems to have 2011 mods available for it so it may be worth purchasing

same here!

the opening title music was awesome!!!

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

Gixxer1000 wrote:
specdecible wrote:

There are some on you tube, i think it was the 2 guys on simracing that said so but i cant find it.

What I'm saying is that F1 2012 is not even past its first stages of development, how can you review something that doesn't exist.
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

j man wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

This, quite frankly.

This. This. This.

I think Estoril was in the regular championship season on the game (although it wasn't in real life). The third bonus track was an awesome fictional circuit they had made up with some insane gradients and a nice mix of corners called Sunob (i.e. Bonus backwards). It was slightly annoying that the two 'real' bonus tracks (Aida and Adelaide) were a mirror image of themselves, i.e. all right hand corners were left handers in the game and vice versa. Maybe they couldn't use the actual circuits for some legal reason?

I bought a copy off eBay for £3 that should come tomorrow. I'll start a "let's play F1 97" thread when I get it for more reminiscing.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

I always think it'd be quite fun to race the circuits backwards. Be quite a different experience despite being very similar in principle.

Btw, I remember renting a PSX and F1 97 for my brothers birthday. Good game, though I re-he-he-he-heally sucked at it back then. Braking was never an option until the corner and apex were right upon me. (Yes, you did used to be able to rent videogame consoles!)

Fiskars

Post by Fiskars »

RocketSkates wrote:

Id recommend getting GP4 somewhere mate, probably online. There are 91 and 88 mods available for it which are excellent with some old tracks including the Phoenix street circuit.

Always enjoyed the good old Geoff Crammond games too. Had the first one on the Amiga where you had to type all the drivers and teams names in or you'd have dud drivers like Carlos Sanchez driving Sennas McLaren.

Still cant set a car up.

minchy

Post by minchy »

mac_d wrote:I have F1 WGP on the N64 then F1 2010 and 2011 on the Xbox.

I like 2010 but 2011 is more fun somehow. The thing they miss that F1 WGP had is the challenge mode. It had stuff like "You are 2nd as DC in Spa when the rain comes down hard with 3 laps to go. Schumi pits from the lead for Wet tires. Stay out and win the race." They were bloody hard (certainly when I was young they were) but added a whole other dimension to the game. I'd love it if Codies did something similar. Even if they were all made up situations I'd love them to be brought back.

I play the 360 games with the Microsoft Wireless Wheel. It was slightly mroe expensive than the 3rd party made one, but it has force feedback which I really like. I like a VERY heavy wheel in F1 and Forza. Forza's feedback is great, you can really get a good idea of what is going on just by the wheel.

They had this on F1 2009 on the Wii too, dont know why codemasters took it out for the following multi-platform releases :( it really was good fun to do things a little more arcadey and it added more to the game as a whole.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

red-white fanatic

Post by red-white fanatic »

for me GP1 and GP2. It has the most realistic feel of all the games I've tried. In other games on PC and especially PS you can often run trough the gravel as if it were tarmac for instance and the driving feels too 'swervy'. You also got the feeling that strategy mattered more and every lap had to be spot on. I can't put my finger on why that is, but I never got the same feeling with other F1 games. God I wish I could turn back time 15 years. I have spent hundreds of hours playing.

Never got to try GP3 and GP4 because that recuired a PC with a better 3D engine than the one I had and I was getting older (and discovered girls had nice curves that needed exploring as well...)

F1master

Post by F1master »

I bought F1 2011 but it said the LIVE access code is already attributed to another LIVE account. I bought the game off Ebay, was I scammed?

It was new and sealed. I don't understand why this would happened.

I don't want to make a derogatory remark about the company that I bought this from.

The "Install" option is blacked out.