US election - prediction

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Who will win the presidential election?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Joe Biden
8
89%
Donald Trump
1
11%
 
Total votes: 9

BMWSauber84
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: US election - prediction

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Banana Man wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:37 pm
Even taking away what happened at the capitol, there is absolutely no comparison. Trump pressured the Georgia secretary of state to "find him" 11,000+ votes. He tried to force the Vice President to throw out the Electoral college votes despite not having the constitutional power to do so. He has filed frivolous lawsuits and had associates file frivolous lawsuits up and down the country that were tossed out sometimes by judged he appointed. He suggested the Supreme Court weren't "brave" enough to hear his case when they in fact chucked it out because it was nonsense.

Donald Trump has been crying wolf about election fraud since he lost the Iowa caucus to Ted Cruz in the primaries for the 2016 election. He was claiming that the 2016 Presidential election was going to be rigged back when it looked like he would lose it. This behaviour is nothing new or surprising. I get the Democrat comparisons and the comparisons to UK remain voters, but none of it is anything like what we have seen from Trump and his sycophants.

I would suggest that the police wouldn't have been taking selfies and giving directions if this had been a BLM riot.
Your last sentence is a non-sequitur. Everything you say about Trump in the first two paragraphs is correct and the US will be well rid of him come January 20th. However, none of that has a baring on the behaviors of police and soldiers who are following orders outside the building. They will all have been trained in how to deal with certain situations but you have no cause to believe they are politically aligned to Trump.

Whilst instances of Police brutality and racism no doubt exists, I can't see any evidence to suggest a mass shooting would have occurred had BLM tried to storm the capital. If anything there would have been a much higher police presence, which would have prevented the ingress into the building which ultimately lead to the shootings.
Some of those officers were actively assisting the rioters, and there were serving police officers and military personnel in the ranks of the rioters. On the whole, I'm sure the police are mostly impartial and there are far more good officers than bad. It doesn't mean they don't have an issue though.

User avatar
Banana Man
Posts: 2695
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

Re: US election - prediction

Post by Banana Man »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 pm
Banana Man wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:37 pm
Even taking away what happened at the capitol, there is absolutely no comparison. Trump pressured the Georgia secretary of state to "find him" 11,000+ votes. He tried to force the Vice President to throw out the Electoral college votes despite not having the constitutional power to do so. He has filed frivolous lawsuits and had associates file frivolous lawsuits up and down the country that were tossed out sometimes by judged he appointed. He suggested the Supreme Court weren't "brave" enough to hear his case when they in fact chucked it out because it was nonsense.

Donald Trump has been crying wolf about election fraud since he lost the Iowa caucus to Ted Cruz in the primaries for the 2016 election. He was claiming that the 2016 Presidential election was going to be rigged back when it looked like he would lose it. This behaviour is nothing new or surprising. I get the Democrat comparisons and the comparisons to UK remain voters, but none of it is anything like what we have seen from Trump and his sycophants.

I would suggest that the police wouldn't have been taking selfies and giving directions if this had been a BLM riot.
Your last sentence is a non-sequitur. Everything you say about Trump in the first two paragraphs is correct and the US will be well rid of him come January 20th. However, none of that has a baring on the behaviors of police and soldiers who are following orders outside the building. They will all have been trained in how to deal with certain situations but you have no cause to believe they are politically aligned to Trump.

Whilst instances of Police brutality and racism no doubt exists, I can't see any evidence to suggest a mass shooting would have occurred had BLM tried to storm the capital. If anything there would have been a much higher police presence, which would have prevented the ingress into the building which ultimately lead to the shootings.
Some of those officers were actively assisting the rioters, and there were serving police officers and military personnel in the ranks of the rioters. On the whole, I'm sure the police are mostly impartial and there are far more good officers than bad. It doesn't mean they don't have an issue though.
All true but again, it doesn’t necessarily follow that a pro-trump policeman or soldier would exhibit violence towards a BLM protestor, just because he shows an unprofessionally casual attitude towards other Trump supporters. There’s also the fact that being complicit in a selfie does not automatically constitute support. People take photos with celebrities, people in uniform etc. All the time and very often they’re just going along with it in the interest of being good natured and maintaining civility.
I remember when this website was all fields.

Asphalt_World
Posts: 5703
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: US election - prediction

Post by Asphalt_World »

And relax........
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

User avatar
Banana Man
Posts: 2695
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

Re: US election - prediction

Post by Banana Man »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:25 pm
And relax........
Not even close. Trumpism is here for a while yet, whether the man himself is the one leading it or not. Biden has a heck of a job on his hands mending the divides in their society.
I remember when this website was all fields.

Harpo
Posts: 1103
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am

Re: US election - prediction

Post by Harpo »

Banana Man wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:34 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:25 pm
And relax........
Not even close. Trumpism is here for a while yet, whether the man himself is the one leading it or not. Biden has a heck of a job on his hands mending the divides in their society.
America tends to make everything "bigger" so it's more spectacular, but I'm afraid the divides that were let growing (when not encouraged...) by the successive governments since Reagan are active in our European society, though, let's hope, not as deeply rooted (and we have no legal access to war gunnery).
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

User avatar
Biffa
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:08 pm

Re: US election - prediction

Post by Biffa »

Harpo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:49 am
America tends to make everything "bigger" so it's more spectacular, but I'm afraid the divides that were let growing (when not encouraged...) by the successive governments since Reagan are active in our European society, though, let's hope, not as deeply rooted (and we have no legal access to war gunnery).
Yep I agree - unfortunately I’ve noticed similar behaviour creeping into the UK over the past few years, It’s quite disheartening as it’s becoming difficult to have a reasonable political debate these days with truth and facts almost becoming irrelevant to the discourse.

Post Reply