It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:06 pm 

Image From fansided.com

This picture tells the story at UFC 193 - Melbourne, Australia. And that is Rhonda on the mat after being knocked out by former boxing and MMA champion Holly Holm who scored the ultimate upset over the previous undefeated Rhonda Rousey in :59 into the 2nd round with a left roundhouse.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/14133 ... nd-ufc-193

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:56 pm 

It was bound to happen, especially with the poor way Rousey has been handled over the past year, this being her 3rd fight in addition to the other stuff she does in Hollywood. Holm was great, though. She took advantage of the situations and was well prepared. She's a worthy champion for sure. Can't wait for the rematch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:59 pm 

Rousey got caught up in her own hype and didn't take it seriously. Most people that fight her go 'omg it's Ronda Rousey', and let it affect them. Holm wasn't having any of that nonsense and took her apart. I think Rousey thought the intimidation factor would still work, and was sloppier in her preparation that she should have been (and will be for the inevitable rematch)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:08 pm 

Holm is very experienced. Maybe not so much in MMA but as a fighter. That in mind, seeing Ronda keeping it standing I think was her downfall. Maybe she had one of those "I wanted to prove I could win at her game" things. The re-match will look different I think. I see Ronda taking back her belt soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:26 pm 

I think this was good for Rousey in a way, see had perhaps necome too complacent lately and this will surely motivate her to become a better fighter. Kudos to Holm though, very precise striker.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:58 am 

Mr-E wrote:
Holm is very experienced. Maybe not so much in MMA but as a fighter. That in mind, seeing Ronda keeping it standing I think was her downfall. Maybe she had one of those "I wanted to prove I could win at her game" things. The re-match will look different I think. I see Ronda taking back her belt soon.

Ronda's coach at the end of the first round was telling her she was doing everything perfect and to keep doing it. Her coach needs fired for that alone.

It did seem like she went in there trying to beat her at her own game - Ronda is a good striker for someone with a non-striking background, but taking strikes from a World Champion boxer and Kickboxer was just stupidity. Holly did a great job of keeping the fight at a distance and Ronda's tactic seemed to be her usual tactic (walk face first in to punches to narrow the gap).

Thing is she knew this was coming, but rather than accounting for it it seems her and her team decided that Holly wouldn't be able to stop it anyway. Ronda was blowing out of her backside in minutes.

Someone else highlighted her coach needing to tell her to spit the water out at the end of the first round (I never caught it but no reason to think they were wrong); had she ever actually been hit properly prior to this? I know judo can hurt but I mean from a striking perspective? The fact she didn't realise she had to spit blood out of her mouth makes you realise how inexperienced she actually is when it comes to taking a punch to the face.

Covalent wrote:
I think this was good for Rousey in a way, see had perhaps necome too complacent lately and this will surely motivate her to become a better fighter. Kudos to Holm though, very precise striker.

Not sure either way. She has so much other fairy cakes going on and the retiring undefeated seemed to motivate her. I think she'll go out of her way for a rematch, but she was already talking retirement before this. I think the original plan was Holm, Cyborg (Dana confimed this was being planned post-fight, although won't be a surprise) and then retire and go and make loads of money in films and WWE.