The Movie Review Thread

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

MistaVega23 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:Nice list Scouseknight, I may check some of these over the Xmas break.

Fun fact; I was watching the awesome Michael Caine in "Harry Brown" the other day and I recognised not one, not two, but THREE Games Of Thrones actors there! If you haven't watched it, I thoroughly recommend it, it paints London a bit bleak, but it is a nice little gem of a movie.
I watched it last weekend - forgot how good it was! (Although I'm not a GoT fan - sorry)
Ah, glad we agree, it was a good movie. So the barman, the police chief and Caine's best mate, all main/big characters in GOT!

JN23
Posts: 4603
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by JN23 »

Anyone want to share their views on The Rise of Skywalker?

User avatar
Covalent
Posts: 10520
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Covalent »

JN23 wrote:Anyone want to share their views on The Rise of Skywalker?
It's equally bad or good as the other Disney SW movies, depends on your preference.
For me; equally bad.

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

Covalent wrote:
JN23 wrote:Anyone want to share their views on The Rise of Skywalker?
It's equally bad or good as the other Disney SW movies, depends on your preference.
For me; equally bad.
Watched it last night. Oh my, I liked a few things, but other things were just so cheesy/wrong, clearly to sell merchandise and Disney rides...

I'll try and mention a few:
Spoiler (click to show)
I also have my theory for the future:
Spoiler (click to show)

Asphalt_World
Posts: 6398
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Asphalt_World »

1917.

ASTONISHING!

Single camera scenes that go on forever and no need for endless drone shots of landscapes. You live the film as the main two characters. I don't get close to tears in movies very easily, but I came close in this. Brilliantly moving with the trench scene near the end, (No spoilers coming up.) a real moment of OMG. The World Wars really were truly as bad as we're all told it is and we must never let this be forgotten.

If you watch nothing else at the cinema this year, watch this.
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

Asphalt_World wrote:1917.

ASTONISHING!

Single camera scenes that go on forever and no need for endless drone shots of landscapes. You live the film as the main two characters. I don't get close to tears in movies very easily, but I came close in this. Brilliantly moving with the trench scene near the end, (No spoilers coming up.) a real moment of OMG. The World Wars really were truly as bad as we're all told it is and we must never let this be forgotten.

If you watch nothing else at the cinema this year, watch this.
I watched it last night. Very well done, camera work and the scenery are amazing. You can tell some of the scenes that they "stitched" together in order to create the long camera scenes (think long scenes like "Children of men" if you've watched it), but it took nothing out of the movie.

A bit of "private Ryan" going on there, but in any case, it truly shows the horrible face of the war (apparently the movie is consisted of true stories from the war that the director's grandfather told him). We got out of the cinema thinking how all these entitled kids wining on tweeter would have loved it if they were born around 1900...

I giggled a bit with your "no spoilers coming up", as I talked to a friend about it and she said "I don't need spoilers, we all know how the war ends"!!!

User avatar
MistaVega23
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by MistaVega23 »

Anybody else watched Parasite?

I have to say it's one of my favourite foreign films. The plot, acting and directing are superb, it literally leaves you on tenterhooks from the halfway point and you have no idea how it's going to end.

A deserved Oscar winner.
#KeepFightingMichael

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

MistaVega23 wrote:Anybody else watched Parasite?

I have to say it's one of my favourite foreign films. The plot, acting and directing are superb, it literally leaves you on tenterhooks from the halfway point and you have no idea how it's going to end.

A deserved Oscar winner.
Yes, loved it. It does indeed have a point that the movie just changes and it is brilliant.

User avatar
f1madman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by f1madman »

Siao7 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:Anybody else watched Parasite?

I have to say it's one of my favourite foreign films. The plot, acting and directing are superb, it literally leaves you on tenterhooks from the halfway point and you have no idea how it's going to end.

A deserved Oscar winner.
Yes, loved it. It does indeed have a point that the movie just changes and it is brilliant.
Yeah it's one of the few movies I've managed to watch lately absolutely loves it, pretty much think about it every day...
Pathfinder

mac_d
Posts: 4231
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by mac_d »

A Quiet Place (it's on UK Netflix).

In many ways, it's a bloody masterpiece. It's like someone saw that Buffy episode "Hush" where there is a good 15 or so minutes without any dialogue and decided to go nuts with it. The first word isn't spoken until about 38 mins in. It's all about being quiet. John "Jim Halpert"* Krasinski does a great job as director, though I'm not overly sure I really can tell an okay director from a great one, I could maybe tell an awful one from a great one but I'm not into movies that way and tend to be rather dense about that side of things. The movie does a fantastic job about building tension. Several long scenes have you right in that zone and it's great.

However, the last 5 seconds... pretty much ruined the movie for me. I kid you not, they killed it for me. I do not think I've ever had this degree of emotional whiplash over a movie.


Regardless, I'd recommend it as I think it is rather interesting as a concept. It's not stay-with-you-scary for those that don't like that sort of thing, just short term tension kinda scary. I still enjoyed it overall despite the ending.

* He did 9 seasons of The Office (U.S)

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Mayhem »

battle between terminator 1984 vs terminator 2.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gYpFb7 ... sist_app=1
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 2531
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by DOLOMITE »

No Time To Die 2 Stars

Disappointing. Main problem for me was that the film is 163 minutes long and Ana De Armas is only in it for about 9 of those. She lights up the screen and it really needs it. There is zero chemistry between Bond and Madaleine. It's good that they tried to bring an arc to Craigs Bond but it's still a Bond movie so you want some lightness and fun. There are some token one-liners but they are lacking in wit. Malek isn't bad, just a bit cliché and dull. I think they just tried too much. It looked OK and set pieces like Cuba were good but overall it was just underwhelming and the less said about the ending the better.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:45 am
No Time To Die 2 Stars

Disappointing. Main problem for me was that the film is 163 minutes long and Ana De Armas is only in it for about 9 of those. She lights up the screen and it really needs it. There is zero chemistry between Bond and Madaleine. It's good that they tried to bring an arc to Craigs Bond but it's still a Bond movie so you want some lightness and fun. There are some token one-liners but they are lacking in wit. Malek isn't bad, just a bit cliché and dull. I think they just tried too much. It looked OK and set pieces like Cuba were good but overall it was just underwhelming and the less said about the ending the better.
Ooooh, thanks for no spoilers. I guess I'll have to go and check it out, especially as we get the tickets for a £5 through our company's plan. Not too shabby!

User avatar
f1madman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by f1madman »

Watched spiderman today. Excellent, don't read or look at anything about it. Easily spoils a lot of stuff on the net.

Just go watch it and thank me later.

Watched dune too, it was alright.
Pathfinder

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Watched spiderman today. Excellent, don't read or look at anything about it. Easily spoils a lot of stuff on the net.

Just go watch it and thank me later.

Watched dune too, it was alright.
I did and it was partly ok and partly bad. OK, spoilers coming:
Spoiler (click to show)

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:45 am
No Time To Die 2 Stars

Disappointing. Main problem for me was that the film is 163 minutes long and Ana De Armas is only in it for about 9 of those. She lights up the screen and it really needs it. There is zero chemistry between Bond and Madaleine. It's good that they tried to bring an arc to Craigs Bond but it's still a Bond movie so you want some lightness and fun. There are some token one-liners but they are lacking in wit. Malek isn't bad, just a bit cliché and dull. I think they just tried too much. It looked OK and set pieces like Cuba were good but overall it was just underwhelming and the less said about the ending the better.
I forgot about this:
Spoiler (click to show)

User avatar
f1madman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by f1madman »

Siao7 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:07 am
f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Watched spiderman today. Excellent, don't read or look at anything about it. Easily spoils a lot of stuff on the net.

Just go watch it and thank me later.

Watched dune too, it was alright.
I did and it was partly ok and partly bad. OK, spoilers coming:
Spoiler (click to show)
I kinda disagree, I did try and avoid spoilers but posters and rumours that seep through the screen kinda made me guess what was coming.
Spoiler (click to show)
Pathfinder

User avatar
f1madman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by f1madman »

Siao7 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:37 am
DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:45 am
No Time To Die 2 Stars

Disappointing. Main problem for me was that the film is 163 minutes long and Ana De Armas is only in it for about 9 of those. She lights up the screen and it really needs it. There is zero chemistry between Bond and Madaleine. It's good that they tried to bring an arc to Craigs Bond but it's still a Bond movie so you want some lightness and fun. There are some token one-liners but they are lacking in wit. Malek isn't bad, just a bit cliché and dull. I think they just tried too much. It looked OK and set pieces like Cuba were good but overall it was just underwhelming and the less said about the ending the better.
I forgot about this:
Spoiler (click to show)
I think bond did need to be more PC and less rapey, if they want to capture newer audiences they have to modernise and move with the times. And tbh this bond is older now he's done it for over 15 years?
Spoiler (click to show)
finally has something of real value to live and die for. The man is sad, otherwise and pretending he's living a good life because he kills and shags like a porno plot doesn't work in modern cinema.... Hence why Jason Bourne and mission impossible became more successful spy movies. Bond has much more competition now so needs to evolve. Craig's bond did a really good job. The old bonds are so goofy if you ever rewatch them, almost comedy and he spends a lot of time checking into hotels and other mundane thing haha.

You're right that the villains in bond kinda sucked. Malek wanted revenge for his family, great motivation easy to understand.... but then suddenly wants to screw the entire world where/why/wtf? I think bond feels it needs a villain to always be in some massive volcano/island type compound to be impressive.

I reckon the next bond will be more light hearted.
Pathfinder

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:57 am
Siao7 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:07 am
f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Watched spiderman today. Excellent, don't read or look at anything about it. Easily spoils a lot of stuff on the net.

Just go watch it and thank me later.

Watched dune too, it was alright.
I did and it was partly ok and partly bad. OK, spoilers coming:
Spoiler (click to show)
I kinda disagree, I did try and avoid spoilers but posters and rumours that seep through the screen kinda made me guess what was coming.
Spoiler (click to show)
And that's absolutely fine, we can't all like the same things! Don't get me wrong, it was thoroughly enjoyable, I just feel like they ran out of ideas as you mentioned and are re-hashing the same stuff. But the closure thing is something I didn't consider, so I take that into consideration now and have to agree you are right. Especially the part that
Spoiler (click to show)

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:09 am
Siao7 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:37 am
DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:45 am
No Time To Die 2 Stars

Disappointing. Main problem for me was that the film is 163 minutes long and Ana De Armas is only in it for about 9 of those. She lights up the screen and it really needs it. There is zero chemistry between Bond and Madaleine. It's good that they tried to bring an arc to Craigs Bond but it's still a Bond movie so you want some lightness and fun. There are some token one-liners but they are lacking in wit. Malek isn't bad, just a bit cliché and dull. I think they just tried too much. It looked OK and set pieces like Cuba were good but overall it was just underwhelming and the less said about the ending the better.
I forgot about this:
Spoiler (click to show)
I think bond did need to be more PC and less rapey, if they want to capture newer audiences they have to modernise and move with the times. And tbh this bond is older now he's done it for over 15 years?
Spoiler (click to show)
finally has something of real value to live and die for. The man is sad, otherwise and pretending he's living a good life because he kills and shags like a porno plot doesn't work in modern cinema.... Hence why Jason Bourne and mission impossible became more successful spy movies. Bond has much more competition now so needs to evolve. Craig's bond did a really good job. The old bonds are so goofy if you ever rewatch them, almost comedy and he spends a lot of time checking into hotels and other mundane thing haha.

You're right that the villains in bond kinda sucked. Malek wanted revenge for his family, great motivation easy to understand.... but then suddenly wants to screw the entire world where/why/wtf? I think bond feels it needs a villain to always be in some massive volcano/island type compound to be impressive.

I reckon the next bond will be more light hearted.
I agree in general, but these were the old Bond films we grew up with (never read any of the novels, so I am not sure if Ian Flemming intended for them to be light-hearted goofy movies or more serious). They were somewhat goofy and light hearted, he is a knowledgeable, sporty, sexy, good looking, stylish womaniser. Nothing more, nothing less. And I believe there was one or more Bond movies that showed a bit more depth, like when he got married and they murdered his wife for example, he showed emotion and getting a bit more personal. Or things like being saved by his female companions, he's not always the macho man that saves the princess.

By the way, I may get flamed for this, but it is just my opinion, so here we go: I am not 100% convinced that he was rapey (or the intention was to portray him like that), this feels more like a reaction from today's PC society that we live in. The sentiment I got back then (in most cases) was that the henchman (henchwoman I guess? Is there such a word, English is not my first language, so I am not 100% sure, but you get what I mean I hope!) is working for the bad guy and her job is to kill Bond.

But she is clearly attracted to him and she is struggling to come to terms with that, torn between the two sides. Bond recognises this and instead of killing her, he wins her over (with his dong I guess, but hey, better than a bullet!). The struggle seems more like herself trying to oppose her feelings and attraction to him (representing the good guys/side), but in the end she gives in. From memory I think few of the "bad" Bond girls end up helping him, like Grace Jones, recognising that they were on the wrong side.

Or it can be seen as Bond being super rapey I guess. But I sincerely doubt that this was the sentiment intended, even back then, rape was never an acceptable issue in society. More like the girl plays hard to get, but always falls for him; but instead of 30' film time courting her, they condense it into the scene of her saying no in the beginning, but eventually giving in.

The one scene that I remember and we can all agree was wrong is the "sleep with me or I tell your boss" one. That feels so totally wrong, though I may have to check that film again for context.

I also think that the next iteration of Bond may be more light hearted, this one was quite dark compared to the past ones, like Nolan's Batman!

Actually, having just written the above, I realise that this tends to happen a lot nowadays. Some heroes used to be more goofy in the past, while their latest versions were a bit more dark and serious. Superman, Batman, Bond come to mind.

Sorry for the essay!

User avatar
f1madman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by f1madman »

Siao7 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 pm
f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:57 am
Siao7 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:07 am
f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Watched spiderman today. Excellent, don't read or look at anything about it. Easily spoils a lot of stuff on the net.

Just go watch it and thank me later.

Watched dune too, it was alright.
I did and it was partly ok and partly bad. OK, spoilers coming:
Spoiler (click to show)
I kinda disagree, I did try and avoid spoilers but posters and rumours that seep through the screen kinda made me guess what was coming.
Spoiler (click to show)
And that's absolutely fine, we can't all like the same things! Don't get me wrong, it was thoroughly enjoyable, I just feel like they ran out of ideas as you mentioned and are re-hashing the same stuff. But the closure thing is something I didn't consider, so I take that into consideration now and have to agree you are right. Especially the part that
Spoiler (click to show)
Lol you're right, we will have nothing to discuss if we agreed, there's no right or wrong opinions. Expect on the F1 part of the forum you're pretty wrong there ;p
Pathfinder

Siao7
Posts: 9885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by Siao7 »

f1madman wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:34 pm
Siao7 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 pm
f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:57 am
Siao7 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:07 am
f1madman wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:19 pm
Watched spiderman today. Excellent, don't read or look at anything about it. Easily spoils a lot of stuff on the net.

Just go watch it and thank me later.

Watched dune too, it was alright.
I did and it was partly ok and partly bad. OK, spoilers coming:
Spoiler (click to show)
I kinda disagree, I did try and avoid spoilers but posters and rumours that seep through the screen kinda made me guess what was coming.
Spoiler (click to show)
And that's absolutely fine, we can't all like the same things! Don't get me wrong, it was thoroughly enjoyable, I just feel like they ran out of ideas as you mentioned and are re-hashing the same stuff. But the closure thing is something I didn't consider, so I take that into consideration now and have to agree you are right. Especially the part that
Spoiler (click to show)
Lol you're right, we will have nothing to discuss if we agreed, there's no right or wrong opinions. Expect on the F1 part of the forum you're pretty wrong there ;p
:lol:

This from the man who called everyone with a different opinion a grandpa in the BLM thread for disagreeing with you, guess you were wrong there as well!

Ok, I agree I loved into the spider verse as well 3 years ago! There

:D

stockmans
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:41 am

Re: The Movie Review Thread

Post by stockmans »

This movie was so atmospheric. Even without reading the books was I able to quickly catch on to what was happening throughout the film.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4[/youtube]

Post Reply