COVID responses of different countries.

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
IDFD
Posts: 696
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:14 pm

Re: COVID responses of different countries.

Post by IDFD »

Pokitren wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:23 am
iano wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:50 am
myattitude wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:16 am

Interesting figures, but scientific data suggests lockdowns themselves have increased the excess deaths:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7952324/

Which is correct and why? Explain your conclusion.
Yes, lockdowns themselves have increased excess deaths.

Also, in similar news, the occurrence of fire when firefighters are in attendance is greater than when there are no firefighters around.
And what I've noticed is that the death rate from the flu is higher than from covid.
This is nonsense that undermines anything else you've said.

oz_karter
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

Re: COVID responses of different countries.

Post by oz_karter »

Pokitren wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:23 am
And what I've noticed is that the death rate from the flu is higher than from covid.
Well that's not true. The death rate for COVID is magnitudes higher.

Interesting fact: Australia hasn't had any flu deaths in over a year.

That shows the restrictions have worked and that COVID is significantly more transmissible and deadly.

Pokitren
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: COVID responses of different countries.

Post by Pokitren »

oz_karter wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:11 am
Pokitren wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:23 am
And what I've noticed is that the death rate from the flu is higher than from covid.
Well that's not true. The death rate for COVID is magnitudes higher.

Interesting fact: Australia hasn't had any flu deaths in over a year.

That shows the restrictions have worked and that COVID is significantly more transmissible and deadly.
What makes you think that?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7952324/ There's an article on a reliable source. Here the author writes that the death rate from influenza is higher than from covid. And he also writes about the uselessness of restrictions to build up collective immunity.

oz_karter
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

Re: COVID responses of different countries.

Post by oz_karter »

Pokitren wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:31 pm
oz_karter wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:11 am
Pokitren wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:23 am
And what I've noticed is that the death rate from the flu is higher than from covid.
Well that's not true. The death rate for COVID is magnitudes higher.

Interesting fact: Australia hasn't had any flu deaths in over a year.

That shows the restrictions have worked and that COVID is significantly more transmissible and deadly.
What makes you think that?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7952324/ There's an article on a reliable source. Here the author writes that the death rate from influenza is higher than from covid. And he also writes about the uselessness of restrictions to build up collective immunity.
As a scientist, reading that article made my brain hurt. It's based mostly on opinions and cherrypicks countries for its conclusions.

Many of these opinions have been floated in Australia, but soundly proven wrong. You can have a functioning economy AND low deaths. The long term effects of lockdowns are yet to be seen, but interestingly Australia has had lower suicides in 2020 and 2021 than in preceding years.

The author does not seem to take into account long term health effects of COVID (surviving it does not mean you aren't affected).

The article does not say anywhere that Influenza has a higher death rate. This is completely untrue.

The article reeks of someone who has a focus on economics and little care about the deaths of humans in a population.

I am very thankful that I live in a state and country which put health first. Our lives have not suffered. In QLD we've had only 7 COVID deaths and all of those were from overseas transmission (not local). We've had a few sporadic short lockdowns (3-7 days), but otherwise our lives have been generally normal. We've also been able to stop wearing face masks.

The one restriction that remains is state border closures, but those are lifting as vaccination rates increase. It is very much looking like a normal Australia heading into 2022 and we have lost very few people.

Post Reply