Nested quotes

Anything non-motor racing related.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Andy_S

Nested quotes

Post by Andy_S »

They're kind of annoying. When I quote a post it's because I want to indicate what it is that I'm directly replying to. I don't think it's necessary to recap the entire conversation so far in every post - if anything it makes the thread harder to follow and TBH I resent the effort of having to edit out all but the thing I'm actually replying to. It should be possible to toggle nested or single quotes, no?

iano

Re: Nested quotes

Post by iano »

@Andy_S

Perhaps what is needed is an alternate way to indicate the post being replied to.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

You can very easily manually remove the quotes you don't need.

Mod Aqua
Site Admin

Post by Mod Aqua »

Andy_S wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:49 am
They're kind of annoying. When I quote a post it's because I want to indicate what it is that I'm directly replying to. I don't think it's necessary to recap the entire conversation so far in every post - if anything it makes the thread harder to follow and TBH I resent the effort of having to edit out all but the thing I'm actually replying to. It should be possible to toggle nested or single quotes, no?
We are unable to make changes to the forum software as that's handled by the powers above.

However, the nested quotes start in the hidden configuration and you have to click to show them, so they don't really take up all that much space.

Andy_S

Post by Andy_S »

Mod Aqua wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm
Andy_S wrote:
We are unable to make changes to the forum software as that's handled by the powers above.

However, the nested quotes start in the hidden configuration and you have to click to show them, so they don't really take up all that much space.
Could you please clarify "hidden configuration"? I hit the quote button and I get the post I'm replying to, plus the post that was a reply to etc etc.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Andy_S wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:15 pm
Mod Aqua wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm
Andy_S wrote:

Could you please clarify "hidden configuration"? I hit the quote button and I get the post I'm replying to, plus the post that was a reply to etc etc.
Hidden configuration means that, except for the last comment, is that the entire conversation within the thread is collapsed. Just look at Mod Aqua's comment here as an example.

The reason you get all the posts in the conversation is exactly that, you're choosing to include yourself in that specific conversation so you get all the reply's but as Covalent said, it literally takes like 2-3 seconds, if that even, to remove the posts you don't want when in the "reply / full editor" section. Just highlight & delete.
From the few forums i've been on, I actually think this one's quite user friendly & easy to navigate.
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.