Ambient race start noise

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Post Reply
User avatar
Toby.
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Ambient race start noise

Post by Toby. »

I took my professional voice recorder to the Malaysian Grand Prix on the weekend so that I could get a real representation of what the cars sounded like and not what the microphones on TV picked up. I'm not sure how many people are interested in natural audio, but it sure was a surprise to me. On the main straight they were still damn loud (though not nearly as piercing as in the past), but out in the open it was all a little unexciting. Meaty, but not exciting.

Anyhoo, I've uploaded a 20-second audio clip of 21 cars going past the hill at Turn 2/3 on the first lap. Perhaps other people might find it interesting as well. You can click on the link below to listen.

Ambient race start noise with 2014 1.6L V6 turbo F1 engines
Image

silkjet

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by silkjet »

Thank you. More empirical evidence, that to me, points in the same direction. Unexciting as you say.

I am hopeful things will improve. Most involved in F1 are motorheads- so there is reason for hope.

Pedrosa_4_Ever
Posts: 2949
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

I guess it just confirms what I already thought; they aren't as shrill as they used to be but are a bit more rumbling.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

User avatar
hittheapex
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by hittheapex »

I actually liked that sound, appealing in it's own way. It's a more complex sound, with interesting things to listen to, while the V8's were more shrill and visceral but that was also part of their appeal, in my individual opinion.

The problem is that the sounds I am describing are at the track in person, barely comparable to the sound a TV viewer experiences, and I am unmoved by the sounds that are broadcast.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

User avatar
Toby.
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by Toby. »

hittheapex wrote:I actually liked that sound, appealing in it's own way. It's a more complex sound, with interesting things to listen to, while the V8's were more shrill and visceral but that was also part of their appeal, in my individual opinion.

The problem is that the sounds I am describing are at the track in person, barely comparable to the sound a TV viewer experiences, and I am unmoved by the sounds that are broadcast.
I quite liked the noise of the turbo spinning (I know there's a better term for this), making the high-pitched whizzing noise. One of the other weekend events was a mixed sports car race which included a touring car that was just something else when it came to loudness and ground-rumbling. The noise itself wasn't unlike what the engines are making this year, but it just sounded better because of the feeling of power it made.
Image

stevey
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by stevey »

the sounds grown on me, i think it helps by not religiously watching past races especially the older eras.

The turbo noise is amazing and the grunt of the engine being low and heavy is great - hopefully you could feel it rumbling in your chest.

I do not want fake noises on these engines, times have passed on - F1 needs to be at the front tech wise and with these engines they certainly will be.

User avatar
mcdo
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by mcdo »

Toby. wrote:I quite liked the noise of the turbo spinning (I know there's a better term for this), making the high-pitched whizzing noise.
I absolutely love that sound. Something about it that just sounds futuristic.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Diversion
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:57 pm

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by Diversion »

silkjet wrote:Thank you. More empirical evidence, that to me, points in the same direction. Unexciting as you say.

I am hopeful things will improve. Most involved in F1 are motorheads- so there is reason for hope.
That's not empirical evidence, that's recording of empirical data. It helps give the characteristic of the sound to someone who has not heard it but it is not hard data on dB or how a spectator experiences it. That said, the new engines sound dreadful, they should at least be allowed enough fuel to run them at 15 000 rpm.

lamo

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by lamo »

To me I am expected it to sound like the Porsche supercup cars with the volume up slightly? Has anybody comment who was heard both?

backdoc
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:46 am

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by backdoc »

lamo wrote:To me I am expected it to sound like the Porsche supercup cars with the volume up slightly? Has anybody comment who was heard both?
I saw both at Melbourne and the Porsches sounded way better I thought and a touch louder. Don't think you can really compare a race prepped NA flat 6 with a turbo V6.

Asphalt_World
Posts: 5214
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by Asphalt_World »

That's an excellent but alarming recording. As I mentioned in a different thread, my local motorcross races sound pretty similar from a slight distance away. Dreadful for F1 imo.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Jeepkhana
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by Jeepkhana »

Audio doesn't work. Can't hear anything...
















:lol:

User avatar
moby
Posts: 8072
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by moby »

Not intending to "do down" your recordings, but it is not so much what you get through the eardrum, as usually you have protection anyway, but what you feel in the diaphragm and the "wave" in the air. Its like when a powerboat passes close. You feel the pressure more than hear the sound.

What is that aspect like with the new motors? is it there?

User avatar
Toby.
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Ambient race start noise

Post by Toby. »

moby wrote:Not intending to "do down" your recordings, but it is not so much what you get through the eardrum, as usually you have protection anyway, but what you feel in the diaphragm and the "wave" in the air. Its like when a powerboat passes close. You feel the pressure more than hear the sound.

What is that aspect like with the new motors? is it there?
Non-existent from memory.
Image

Post Reply