Anyone still on here from 9 years ago?!

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
mac_d

Re: Anyone still on here from 9 years ago?!

Post by mac_d »

Biffa wrote: Wonder how many of us will reach the 20 year mark (I wonder if The IAB South Africa will have finished its survey by then).
:lol:

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

Biffa wrote:Wonder how many of us will reach the 20 year mark (I wonder if The IAB South Africa will have finished its survey by then).
Bwahahaha!! :lol:

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Laura23 wrote:
minchy wrote:You know the longer this thread goes on for, the nearer I get to saying yes!
I can't believe it's only been five years I've been here as a member. I found the forum way back when I was at school though, just never had the balls to sign up until I was an adult!
:? Does that mean you have ... Oh, I better not go there. :lol:
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

mmi16

Post by mmi16 »

I come around from time to time!

formul8

Post by formul8 »

Coming up to 10 years of lurking, so long since I posted that it registers as zero.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

minchy wrote:You know the longer this thread goes on for, the nearer I get to saying yes!
:lol: :lol:

Somehow I still feel like a newcomer.
eeee

gregwil

Post by gregwil »

Blake wrote::lol:

A poster named Calais coined the term "disciples" to describe the Schumi/Ferrari fans. I applied the term "anti" initially to describe the large number of members who seemed only to be here to rant against Schumi/Ferrari while supporting no obvious team or driver themselves. It was easy to be the critic while never defending your own driver or team.

It is funny, when I first started here, I actually started a spreadsheet to record active individual members by where they were from, age, preferences etc. so that I would be better able to interact with them and understand them. Believe it or not, the spreadsheet did not even cover 2 pages then! There were fewer members but it was still quite active, and with a couple of exceptions at least a hint of respect for each other.
;)

Speaking of Calais, an Aussie from the Sydney area, and the leader of the "anti" pack... I really do miss him here. He and I had some pretty good "battles" here in the forum, yet would also have fun teasing of each other as well. As an example, I started a thread of "the F1 world according to Calais" (paraphrasing) that was very tongue-in-cheek... the "disciples" loved it, the "antis" were in large part furious and called me to task for being so "rude" to Calais. What they did not know at the time is that I had already shared the post with Calais for approval before I ever posted it to make sure he was OK with it. Then he and I were communicating and laughing on messenger while people were going crazy over the thread. Finally we let the rest of the forum in on the "joke". The simple truth was that Calais and I, supposedly the "leaders" of the opposing factions became good friends and kept in contact long after Calais left the forum... though I have not heard from him in a couple years now.

One more thing... in late 2002 there were a huge forum crash, and all the registrations, posting history, threads and posts were lost. Everyone had to register and so, you won't find any members with a membership prior to that crash, even though there are still some of us here prior to that time. There were several members who lost 10-15 thousand posts....

As I said, there were some battle royals back then... as it was a small but passionate forum. However, I think that in general the overall F1 knowledge was a bit higher than it is today, though there are certainly some of today's members who are massively informed... but as noted in an earlier post, the percentage of new uniformed members is much higher now.

Probably more than some of you wanted to know... but hopefully it will bring back some memories for others.
:]
Hey Blake, I remember when we were on the same side and I was a big part of the disciples. I also remember Calais well and the debates with him. There were good debates in those days, although there was still some unreasonable ranting and raving going on but probably not us much as these days.

I joined probably around 13-14 years ago, my profile says Oct 2002 but that was due to the crash. In those days I had more time to argue as I was an IT support administrator so spent all day at work on the internet waiting for users to call me with IT issues. I also administered the internet use so had no choice but to spend all day on the internet :smug: I have now gone back to my old job and am in the field all day. Still check the forum daily but don't get to post on it as often as I also don't get the time to research issues.

I remember there used to be a forumer, can't remember the name, who used to post very detailed and informative posts.

Long may we all continue to unsuccessfully attempt to force our opinions on each other!!!
Sebastian Vettel - 4 x World Driving Champion!!!

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Blake wrote:but as noted in an earlier post, the percentage of new uniformed members is much higher now.
Only noticed this now. So, who else is in the forces Blake? :D

I wish I could remember the name of an Australian poster from 10 years ago, who was possibly the most technically knowledgeable on the forum. Knowledgeable in the sense that he could, and did, explain things differently if his first effort wasn't clear enough to people like myself.

I wish I could also remember why I ended up here, instead of on the Autosport forum. I just seemed to like it here better, and from what I read over there occasionally, there's still no need to switch.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Blake

Post by Blake »

Fiki,

You are probably thinking of Wuzak... the walking F1 encylopedia. If so, he is still around. I visit with him several times a week on Messenger... until my home computer went down at home a few week ago, that is. He doesn't visit F1 forums much these days, though he still actively follows the sport.

There was another Aussie that we often debated with, but I cannot remember his forum ID, strangely though, I do remember his real first name, Mark. He loved to used the term "true fan" when arguing that anybody who could possibly support Schumi was not a "true fan". He and I went many rounds in the battle about his "true fans". All-in-all he was a good guy, and pretty knowledgeable as well.

Greg,

Indeed we were on the same side in the Disciples vs Antis "war".... seemingly then the sides were fairly well balanced in numbers ... not so any more though. Ya gotta admit, we certainly had some fun "battles".
:D
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

I believe the place actually started back in 1999 [I'm sure Blake will now correct me!] but as Blake said above there was a huge forum crash after that and it was resurrected in 2002/3. Then we lost all posts and threads again when we transferred to this forum... the more I look at this place the more I miss the old one. With more modern servers we could have had all the functions of this place on the old system, and had all powers still in mod hands so techies would have been almost a non-issue.

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Anybody knows whereabouts of Calais? He sure added character to this forum.

Blake

Post by Blake »

Dog,

I last visited with Calais a couple of years ago, and he has not responded in a few attempts since. At the time, he was trying to resolve some personal issues family wise, so perhaps that is still an issue? Otherwise he was doing well at the time.

I won't argue that he added character, and then some, to the forum.... but he probably would have been banned by the previous mod team, and certainly would have pushed his limits with our present team... he loved toeing right up the line!
:lol:
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Blake

Post by Blake »

P-F1 Mod wrote:I believe the place actually started back in 1999 [I'm sure Blake will now correct me!]
No, I won't!!! I have no idea when the forum actually started... only that when I joined, there were about 20 active members and a few less than that in semi-active mode (which is why I was able to keep track of people on just over one page of a spreadsheet as I said before). Yet it was quite lively, which is uncommon in small forums. I would guess that is why it has grown so much.

We really did have an "interesting" group. The Disciple/Antis "battle" was nearly an everyday thing... sometimes just teasing, and sometimes a bit heated... but it made things both fun and interesting. And then there were the "invaders"... those primarily active in other forums such as grandprix or pitpass who would come to PF1, raise some hell on an issue, get everybody fighting, and then when things got "hot" retreat back "home" and let us fight it out. As with any forum, we had occasionally would have some intense personal "battles", and Mich (the Ed) would have to come cool us off.
;)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

John The Greek

Post by John The Greek »

opplock wrote:I used to post on here regularly in 2003-04. I was a Trulli fan and I scored maximum points in the forum-organised Prediction competitions when I predicted Trulli to qualify on pole and win the Monaco GP in 2004.....
Bat014 wrote:that was only one lucky run for u, lol

I won the competition then if u do remember ;)
Wow, you guys had an actual PF1 Prediction Contest back then? Sounds intriguing, I wonder who might have been organising that at the time? :-P

Blake

Post by Blake »

Holy crap!!! (sounds much better than the filter's "fairy cakes" subsitution for sh*_)

John!!! Where have you been hiding? How are things for my favorite Greek? Really good to see you still look in once in a while,... probably just to laugh at what kind of trouble Blake has gotten himself into now!!
;)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

John The Greek

Post by John The Greek »

Hi Blake!! Nah, if I'd laugh with anything, it'd be deciding to take a peek at the PF1 forum for a silly reason (related to a comment by Matiacci I was hoping to see commented on here) and the first post I'd actually see was one of you speaking about antis and disciples... just like old times :D Nice to see that the forum is still up and going and apparently very well-moderated :-) I think there is one thing missing though... one thing I believe Opplock will agree with me... is that it really ought to have a thread named "Magic Trulli" :uhoh: ;)

After coming up this thread I actually checked and found a very old back-up DVD of mine where I have a folder named PF1... apparently it has some texts with information I'd learned (mainly from Wuzak, naturally) , my Prediction Contest calculations from 2002-2004 (and sorry to tell you, Bat014, but you finished 10th in 2004 :-P Schumaster won and Blake was third) ,some photos of members that had been posted and several threads I saved. Most of them because of personal reasons, like one where Sibb (probably the only Italian in history who actually hated Ferrari... and also Fisichella!) praised Schumacher, others that made me laugh (especially with Rik's posts, but I also have a thread you created here), and others where I'm bashing Montoya :smug: Wow, I didn't even remember I had that much of that stuff saved 8O

Things are okay here, not too good but not too bad either. I actually just came home from a trip to the sea with a couple of friends - we had a great time and I also tested the underwater case for my camera and took great pictures inside the sea which I'll now have to send to them. How are things for you? :-)

BTW at some point I'll read this whole thread and reply to several posts concurrently. It was nice to see my name in Number27's list, and by chance it was next to Never's who I remember I really liked.. wonder how he's doing.

Blake

Post by Blake »

John,

Send me a PM with an email address and lets catch up on old times... rather than boring the forum with it. I am anxious to see how things are for you these days.
:)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

John The Greek

Post by John The Greek »

Having read all the posts... Wow, Eurytus appears to have had a huge (negative) impact on this forum! I remember telling him off a lot of times ; the way he would invent arguments out of thin air that made no logical sense just as so he wouldn't concede that he was wrong really ground my gears. I guess I'm lucky I left the forum just before he became a mod, as I'd certainly been banned shortly thereafter.
Blake wrote:You are probably thinking of Wuzak... the walking F1 encylopedia. If so, he is still around. I visit with him several times a week on Messenger... until my home computer went down at home a few week ago, that is.
Haha, it's heartwarming to hear you and Wuzak are still connected. Give my regards to him as well. Not only was he, as has already been mentioned by Fiki and others, extremely knowledgeable and very patient, he was also very modest. The kind of guy any F1 fan would want to have around... I wouldn't be surprised if he had become a F1 journalist!
Blake wrote:[In the 2002/03 forum crash,] some guys (Calais in particular) lost well over 10,000 posts, all the threads disappeared for good, and everyone had to re-register.
If I recall the numbers correctly, I had lost about 25000 posts and Calais about 35000 8O
Blake wrote:EddyTifosi was quite knowledgeable but often got us in more trouble than helping us out of it.
:lol: I recall that vividly, I'd just finished writing posts that I was sure the antis would have trouble defending against, then he'd write something extreme and the antis would react to it and I had to react to them and my original post was just skimmed through... fun times! :smug:
Scott78 wrote:I presume that the disciples of today are rabid Vettell fans?
Sorry, that name is trademarked! But I'd wager that the antis of today are still antis :-P
Flash2k11 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hakk was a troll at all, he was just madly, madly passionate about his man to the point where he couldn't seen any other side to the argument.
Which is probably why I never remember him writing a post more than two lines long, he'd never argue against anyone, he'd start threads with his opinion and then let the rest of us fight over it. Fun times :smug:
Blake wrote:On a side note, I have met Hakkattack several times at Indy, as he usually joined on the "Gatherings" that I organized for forumites at the USGPs. He really is a lot of fun in person, and obviously passionate about KImi. It really was painful for him to have Kimi go to Ferrari and have to support the hated red team. I imagine he is really lost now... I need to contact him and see if this news didn't kill him off!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ReservoirDog wrote:I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned is "the grinch". The grinch used to steal your posts up until 2005/06 I believe. Another thing was the regular forum "purges" taht'd also reset post counts and that'd always result in a few arguments!
Hahah, where did you remember the grinch! :D It had become a staple of the post-2002/03 forum crash discussions - there was even an occasion in 2003 when Astoria edited one of his posts and it ended up grinching another of his own posts 8O
ynot22 wrote:Yep. Your name looks familiar. I was an Alonso fan back then so I think we may have had a few exchanges on the Jarno vs Nando front. :)
I take it for granted that you remember me as well. Trulli was better than Alonso in 2003 after all, just unluckier :-P :-P :-P :D

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

John The Greek wrote: Hahah, where did you remember the grinch! :D It had become a staple of the post-2002/03 forum crash discussions - there was even an occasion in 2003 when Astoria edited one of his posts and it ended up grinching another of his own posts 8O
Well I was one of those who missed the grinch.

Another Greek I remember well is abulafia. He was a disciple but never got into arguments. He'd rather go into real detail of every aspect of driving. He also claimed to have sources for on-board videos that weren't even available to the teams. :lol:

Blake

Post by Blake »

Abu was pretty cerebral as well.... thanks for bring his name up, good memories.
:)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Donington93

Post by Donington93 »

Nah, some of us "antis" were looking for a savior from the "Red Menace" and some of us think we found it in 2007 in young Hamilton.

Funny the Red Menace doesn't seem nearly so intimidating now...yet McLaren still can't win. Schumacher made Ferrari much more formidible...I'm beggining to think it was more him than the team.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Blake wrote:Fiki,

You are probably thinking of Wuzak... the walking F1 encylopedia. If so, he is still around. I visit with him several times a week on Messenger... until my home computer went down at home a few week ago, that is. He doesn't visit F1 forums much these days, though he still actively follows the sport.
Wuzak is the one! Please say hello from me the next time you speak with him.

It is people like him F1 forums need to keep us all on track. And I can't help but wonder what Wuzak thinks of the increasing emphasis on spectacle rather than racing these days. Who knows, perhaps his views could change/fine tune mine. (Except on the subject of Schumacher, obviously! :D )

shay550

Post by shay550 »

Antis vs Disciples - haha I remember that!

I've also been a lurker in these forums for the most part - Great insight and information at times!

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

Does anyone remember Sacre Bleu? :-P
Apparently religious people didn't like my signature, hah! Don't read it if you are so offended by it.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

Mr Formula One

Post by Mr Formula One »

11 May 2004 but have been on planet f1 much longer you were able to post things one the forum with out registering a email address.

I do remember calais and crompton!!!!! Think spellings wrong.... i do r ember using p f1 forum website back in 1999/2000. I did have sad to admit it a hotmail address antimichealschumacher@hotmail.com and i did use names like Jarno Trulitoslow lol.

There were topics like... will jenson button ever get a poduim. I must admit i did say alot of negative things about Button and i was all wrong.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

sultanofhyd wrote:Does anyone remember Sacre Bleu? :-P
I do! But I don't remember much more than his nickname and that he once got into trouble. :?

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

Fiki wrote:
sultanofhyd wrote:Does anyone remember Sacre Bleu? :-P
I do! But I don't remember much more than his nickname and that he once got into trouble. :?
It was a she (I think) and the most hardcore Hamilton fan you'd ever come across. Anything bad that happened to him was because he was black, and it was back in 2007 with the Alonso rivalry. 8O
Apparently religious people didn't like my signature, hah! Don't read it if you are so offended by it.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

My apologies to her!

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

I first found the forum back in college in 2000/2001 but can't remember how many handles I've had - maybe 3?

I used to skip lectures just to get stuck into a heated debate!
#KeepFightingMichael

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Sacre Bleu was the great Hamilton fanboy of when I first joined as a member [that should narrow it down for those of you trying to guess who I am :P ] but it was years after his departure I discovered he wasn't the woman we had all assumed at all!

Blake

Post by Blake »

P-F1 Mod wrote:Sacre Bleu was the great Hamilton fanboy of when I first joined as a member [that should narrow it down for those of you trying to guess who I am :P ] but it was years after his departure I discovered he wasn't the woman we had all assumed at all!
Aha!!!! P-F1 Mod is Sacre Bleu!!!

Supposedly banned, but in reality, running the show!
;)

*ducking for cover*
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

I wonder if that constitutes abuse of a mod? :P

Actually, if I were Sacre Bleu, why would I only recently have discovered I wasn't a woman?!

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

anyone recall melkor? Proper grade a nutcase.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

backdoc

Post by backdoc »

I also fall into the category of reading the forum for years before signing up in 2006. I started following in 2000.

Without a doubt, my favorite all time poster is Bowers. Oh boy did he hate Webber!

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

DOLOMITE wrote:anyone recall melkor? Proper grade a nutcase.
He was my favorite character during that period. He had another reincarnation for a brief period.

His tirades and tantrums were legendary, I believe he loved drinking. He was an avid fan though, always taking his kids to Sepang.

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Another one I remember is a Dutch guy with a drinking problem. Calais' buddy and the biggest anti.

I think he ended every post with I love Schumacher.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

ReservoirDog wrote:Another one I remember is a Dutch guy with a drinking problem. Calais' buddy and the biggest anti.
That last bit rings a bell. But I'm hopeless at remembering names, sadly.

Blake

Post by Blake »

ReservoirDog wrote:Another one I remember is a Dutch guy with a drinking problem. Calais' buddy and the biggest anti.u

I think you are thinking of Lex... who despite how he ended his posts with love of Schumi... very much tongue-in-cheek, was a great guy and on of my favorite PF1 for United ever. However, the drinking problem part throws me... I don't recall that. What I do remember is a very nice and generous man, who was also a very successful businessman.
:D
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Guia

Post by Guia »

I miss Oetzi.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Blake wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:Another one I remember is a Dutch guy with a drinking problem. Calais' buddy and the biggest anti.u

I think you are thinking of Lex...
I think you're correct!

And goodness, Oetzi!