Anyone still on here from 9 years ago?!

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
opplock

Anyone still on here from 9 years ago?!

Post by opplock »

I used to post on here regularly in 2003-04. I was a Trulli fan and I scored maximum points in the forum-organised Prediction competitions when I predicted Trulli to qualify on pole and win the Monaco GP in 2004.....

Just wondering if there is anyone still around from "back in the day"?!?!?!?

Bat014

Re: Anyone still on here from 9 years ago?!

Post by Bat014 »

that was only one lucky run for u, lol

I won the competition then if u do remember ;)

Anyway forum changed and all the messages are gone as well, Actually they've wiped the forums messages twice since then. A few ppl are still here, both antis and few other fans but mostly we got some new football hooligan fans in here.
Winner of F1-Racer Pick Competition 2003
2012 Championship Standing: 15th
2013 Championship Standing: 2nd
2014 Championship Standing: 2th

lamo

Post by lamo »

Many of the old faces still here, but unfortunately some of the better forumers replaced by not so good ones. Still some very good posters here though.

10 year anniversary for me in two days :lol:

GoOnJenson

Post by GoOnJenson »

I've been here since 05/06, used to post an awful lot but then various members stopped contributing so I kind of did the same. Still linger around but I have to say that some of the newer forum goers really do put me off with their immaturity and fanboyism. If we could somehow go back to the old days where different opinions were welcome and respected then this forum could be great once again.

Not at the moment though.

edit: my profile says I joined in 2008. Strange. Definitely joined earlier than that!

deSiRiuS

Post by deSiRiuS »

10 year anniversary some months ago. 10 years!!!
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2012 Championship finish: 6th place
2013 Championship finish: 48th
2014 Championship finish: 39th
2015 Championship finish: 28th

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Anyone remember Chris Balf? Not sure if I've got his name right but he was like the only moderator on the whole site for a while.

number27

Post by number27 »

opplock wrote:I used to post on here regularly in 2003-04. I was a Trulli fan and I scored maximum points in the forum-organised Prediction competitions when I predicted Trulli to qualify on pole and win the Monaco GP in 2004.....

Just wondering if there is anyone still around from "back in the day"?!?!?!?

I remember you from way back then. Most of the old crowd seem to have departed this site in about 2006/7.

Hello

Post by Hello »

im still here :D.

2001 to present. 90% forum lurker 10% forumer
K I M I R A I K K O N E N

WELCOME BACK KIMI!

sakura85

Post by sakura85 »

i came here from 5years ago,time flies,long time no coming here....it's like home again when come here again. :)

Blake

Post by Blake »

flyboy10 wrote:Anyone remember Chris Balf? Not sure if I've got his name right but he was like the only moderator on the whole site for a while.

I think you are confused with pitpass... Chris has been over there for as long as I have been around here. As far as I know, Chris has not been the moderator here unless perhaps he was staff and prior to 2002. I was told that I was the first moderator, at least from the "outside" several years ago. Prior to that Michelle the Ed was trying to both moderate the forum and handle many other tasks for Rivals.
:?

as for nine years ago.... I was here then and a few years before that as well. Many, indeed most, of the forum members from back then have moved on... either by choice or by "request". There are still a few around though.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

ynot22

Post by ynot22 »

Yep. Your name looks familiar. I was an Alonso fan back then so I think we may have had a few exchanges on the Jarno vs Nando front. :)

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Apparently I've been on here since February 2003, according to my profile, although I don't think I started posting regularly until much later.

a_d_king

Post by a_d_king »

I joined in 2004 and can vividly remember logging in for the first time in the computer room at university, trying to avoid doing coursework!!

Amon

Post by Amon »

Yes it has been 10 years for me :)
There were periods I have not been posting much.
I vividly remember the antis vs the Schumi/Ferrari fans (gee how did we call them again, I forgot).
And yeah the Kimi fanboyism was not always easy to deal with back in the day.
F1 fan since 1989

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

I tried to join several years ago, but was told that it was not possible as I didn't pay for my email address!

So I just vaguely followed the forum/comments, until a couple of years ago when I tried again to become a member :) .

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

My 10th anniversary on this forum next Monday... 8O So yes, I'm still here.
Amon wrote:I vividly remember the antis vs the Schumi/Ferrari fans (gee how did we call them again, I forgot).
Weren't they called disciples?
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Alaaddin

Post by Alaaddin »

I had lurked on this forum 8 years before actually joining, then waited additional 8 months to actually post.

The dialogues between members here massively changed after 2007 season. But nowadays, slowly and surely it is going in the right direction with the help of the current P-F1 Mod Team. :thumbup:
109_6 For you is your faith, and for me, my faith.

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I've been here over 10 years, and posted five times!

Although to be fair I did have a few more posts on the "old" forum. But never that many to be honest. Much more of a lurker than a poster, and even more so now than a few years ago.

It does seem sometimes that a large percentage of the users on this forum are unable to be objective about anything. Makes me wonder how half of them survive in the real world......

:)

number27

Post by number27 »

Fiki wrote:
Amon wrote:I vividly remember the antis vs the Schumi/Ferrari fans (gee how did we call them again, I forgot).

Yeah, the Schmui fans were called disciples (amongst other things................................:-))

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Ha yeah, I remember the antis and disciples :D

Honda Quick

Post by Honda Quick »

Been lurking since pre-season testing 2004 (started watching in late, late 2002 so caught the full 2003 season). Then found this message board the next year and just read all of the conversations.

Didn't start posting until 2007 though. Then the constant "who's driver's better" bickering turns me away before I come back again to read. Then the cycle repeats and repeats. :-P

EDIT: The good ole antis and disciples! Haha.
[ Kimi Raikkonen ]
2007 Formula 1 World Drivers Champion

Hong Kong Phooey

Post by Hong Kong Phooey »

Still here but more of a lurker than a poster nowadays...Got fed up of sieving out the trolls from the fans when the forum was at its nadir a few years ago....Got tired of trying to post an articulate response and getting a load of nonsense that does not address your post in reply....Still watch F1 and Moto GP....Best wishes to you all :)

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

Blake wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:Anyone remember Chris Balf? Not sure if I've got his name right but he was like the only moderator on the whole site for a while.

I think you are confused with pitpass... Chris has been over there for as long as I have been around here. As far as I know, Chris has not been the moderator here unless perhaps he was staff and prior to 2002. I was told that I was the first moderator, at least from the "outside" several years ago. Prior to that Michelle the Ed was trying to both moderate the forum and handle many other tasks for Rivals.
:?

as for nine years ago.... I was here then and a few years before that as well. Many, indeed most, of the forum members from back then have moved on... either by choice or by "request". There are still a few around though.

It was between 2000 and 2002. You could log on in the early hours of the morning and there'd be one Brit and two Americans (usually just arguing and abusing each other). I think they had a chat room as well rather than just a forum.

I think there must be a few people from back then who are still around and have had a few new usernames and email addresses ;)

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Looking back through my email, apparently I originally registered in May 2007, albeit under a different username. Not sure when I started posting regularly, but it's weird to think I've been on here for over six years.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

number27 wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Yeah, the Schmui fans were called disciples (amongst other things................................:-))

Name for current Vettel fans ......

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

F1yer wrote:
number27 wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Name for current Vettel fans ......

Finger-boys/girls?

DrG

Post by DrG »

number27 wrote:
Fiki wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I had to laugh at this because disciples, of which I was one, is such a mild term compared to what is fans of certain drivers are called these days :D

Sutton

Post by Sutton »

this place must have been great fun during the schumacher years :D

Chowbelanna

Post by Chowbelanna »

I've been here, on and off, since 2002. Unfortunately due to exploding computers I have had a few different user names as I can never remember my log in details. Anyway, here I am again in my fourth incarnation -I feel like Dr. Who!

Blake

Post by Blake »

:lol:

A poster named Calais coined the term "disciples" to describe the Schumi/Ferrari fans. I applied the term "anti" initially to describe the large number of members who seemed only to be here to rant against Schumi/Ferrari while supporting no obvious team or driver themselves. It was easy to be the critic while never defending your own driver or team.

It is funny, when I first started here, I actually started a spreadsheet to record active individual members by where they were from, age, preferences etc. so that I would be better able to interact with them and understand them. Believe it or not, the spreadsheet did not even cover 2 pages then! There were fewer members but it was still quite active, and with a couple of exceptions at least a hint of respect for each other.
;)

Speaking of Calais, an Aussie from the Sydney area, and the leader of the "anti" pack... I really do miss him here. He and I had some pretty good "battles" here in the forum, yet would also have fun teasing of each other as well. As an example, I started a thread of "the F1 world according to Calais" (paraphrasing) that was very tongue-in-cheek... the "disciples" loved it, the "antis" were in large part furious and called me to task for being so "rude" to Calais. What they did not know at the time is that I had already shared the post with Calais for approval before I ever posted it to make sure he was OK with it. Then he and I were communicating and laughing on messenger while people were going crazy over the thread. Finally we let the rest of the forum in on the "joke". The simple truth was that Calais and I, supposedly the "leaders" of the opposing factions became good friends and kept in contact long after Calais left the forum... though I have not heard from him in a couple years now.

One more thing... in late 2002 there were a huge forum crash, and all the registrations, posting history, threads and posts were lost. Everyone had to register and so, you won't find any members with a membership prior to that crash, even though there are still some of us here prior to that time. There were several members who lost 10-15 thousand posts....

As I said, there were some battle royals back then... as it was a small but passionate forum. However, I think that in general the overall F1 knowledge was a bit higher than it is today, though there are certainly some of today's members who are massively informed... but as noted in an earlier post, the percentage of new uniformed members is much higher now.

Probably more than some of you wanted to know... but hopefully it will bring back some memories for others.
:]
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

TSA1981

Post by TSA1981 »

I joined in 2005 if I remember correctly... It wasn't that easy beck then. You had to have a some kind of "premium" e-mail address. I tried to join several times using my Universitys email. but couldn't get through untill I explained the address for forum admins... :]

Alaaddin

Post by Alaaddin »

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:Still here but more of a lurker than a poster nowadays...Got fed up of sieving out the trolls from the fans when the forum was at its nadir a few years ago....Got tired of trying to post an articulate response and getting a load of nonsense that does not address your post in reply....Still watch F1 and Moto GP....Best wishes to you all :)
The bold part is their most effective tactic that resulted many passionate Formula 1 fans to go away from the forum. However, there are new ones that keep posting on this forum with F1 passion fortunately.

Anyway, best wishes to you too.

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

It has been so interesting (and in parts very funny) to read of PF1's history, esp Blake's story. I only joined in 2011, but in the Schumacher days the pro-brigade, where I came from, was so aggressive, it was like an extreme political party. At pub tv viewings there were almost punch-ups. When Hakkinen went off track while leading at Monza, I actually got a fright when the room erupted in cheers, shouts, jumping out of their seats. Today's PF1ers are much more sane and rational, thankfully.

DrG

Post by DrG »

Blake wrote::lol:

A poster named Calais coined the term "disciples" to describe the Schumi/Ferrari fans. I applied the term "anti" initially to describe the large number of members who seemed only to be here to rant against Schumi/Ferrari while supporting no obvious team or driver themselves. It was easy to be the critic while never defending your own driver or team.

It is funny, when I first started here, I actually started a spreadsheet to record active individual members by where they were from, age, preferences etc. so that I would be better able to interact with them and understand them. Believe it or not, the spreadsheet did not even cover 2 pages then! There were fewer members but it was still quite active, and with a couple of exceptions at least a hint of respect for each other.
;)

Speaking of Calais, an Aussie from the Sydney area, and the leader of the "anti" pack... I really do miss him here. He and I had some pretty good "battles" here in the forum, yet would also have fun teasing of each other as well. As an example, I started a thread of "the F1 world according to Calais" (paraphrasing) that was very tongue-in-cheek... the "disciples" loved it, the "antis" were in large part furious and called me to task for being so "rude" to Calais. What they did not know at the time is that I had already shared the post with Calais for approval before I ever posted it to make sure he was OK with it. Then he and I were communicating and laughing on messenger while people were going crazy over the thread. Finally we let the rest of the forum in on the "joke". The simple truth was that Calais and I, supposedly the "leaders" of the opposing factions became good friends and kept in contact long after Calais left the forum... though I have not heard from him in a couple years now.

One more thing... in late 2002 there were a huge forum crash, and all the registrations, posting history, threads and posts were lost. Everyone had to register and so, you won't find any members with a membership prior to that crash, even though there are still some of us here prior to that time. There were several members who lost 10-15 thousand posts....

As I said, there were some battle royals back then... as it was a small but passionate forum. However, I think that in general the overall F1 knowledge was a bit higher than it is today, though there are certainly some of today's members who are massively informed... but as noted in an earlier post, the percentage of new uniformed members is much higher now.

Probably more than some of you wanted to know... but hopefully it will bring back some memories for others.

Interesting story, Blake, & nice to read a bit of history of the forum. Even though I was a lurker on here years before I actually registered I don't remember Calais but, being an Aussie, I am wondering whether he took his forum name from being a Holden (or in USA language Chevy) fan as around that time the top Holden was called a Calais. Just curious :D

mfields262

Post by mfields262 »

Blake wrote::lol:

A poster named Calais...

Been on here since mid 2003 when I first moved overseas. Much more of a lurker than a poster during that span, but just the mention of Calais brings back a ton of memories. Those posts/discussions/arguments were often hilarious. It makes me think of (in no particular order):

B.I.
ScattyKat (or was it SkattyCat?)
Paul (didn't something weird go down regarding him...oops, maybe I shouldn't mention it)
netmonger
Silver...(something...wasn't it "power")
Badger
and you too of course, Blake!
(I know I'm forgetting many, many more, but I just can't think of them right now)

And talking of the subject of Schumacher and this forum. Just mention 1994, 1997, 2002, or Rascasse and then sit back and watch the two sides go at it...again and again and again and again. It was funny to watch regardless of which side you were on.

Thanks for the memories, Blake!

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Blake wrote:but as noted in an earlier post, the percentage of new uniformed members is much higher now.

And not before time, I retire from the air force in exactly 2.5 months! :D
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Blake

Post by Blake »

DrG,

He drove a Holden Calais, hence his name. I had initially thought it was the French city, but it was just his car.
Australia was well represented then too... Wuzak from Tazmania, Penn from the Adelaide area, another gentleman who's ID in here I don't remember and whom I had some heated discussion with about what constitutes a "real fan"... and a couple of others made it fun.

One of the neat things about this forum is the friendships that get formed out side of the forum. Wuzak has been to the USA 3 times now to visit and attend races (including last year's inaugural COTA F1 race), Penn & I still communicate through emails and another F1 forum, the one whose forum ID I don't remember came to the US for a health issue and we talked on the phone at length....

Through the "Gatherings" we held at Indy during the Indy USGP years, we got to meet a number of F1 fans in person from around the USA and from some other countries as well (Australia, UK, Russia, Canada). Never once was there any hint of negativity even though some were quite passionate rivals in the forum... we all had one thing in common that was overriding... our love for F1.
:)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Blake

Post by Blake »

Fiki wrote:
Blake wrote:but as noted in an earlier post, the percentage of new uniformed members is much higher now.

And not before time, I retire from the air force in exactly 2.5 months! :D

:lol:

Thanks, Fiki ... .may I sheepishly correct that to UNinformed members. All to often my brain and my typing are not at the same pace.
:blush:
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

POBRatings wrote:Today's PF1ers are much more sane and rational, thankfully.
I agree, but I wonder why. Could it be that stricter (if not always correct or consistent) stewarding is finally making both drivers and fans aware there is something called the rules of the game? In Schumacher's time (at least his first F1 career), the rules were unashamedly bent to a ludicrous degree, and nobody dared to look the worst culprit in the eye and tell to like it or leave.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Blake wrote:Wuzak has been to the USA 3 times now to visit and attend races (including last year's inaugural COTA F1 race), Penn & I still communicate through emails and another F1 forum, the one whose forum ID I don't remember came to the US for a health issue and we talked on the phone at length....

Please, if you see or hear him, give Wuzak my very best regards. From all those most knowledgeable fans from a decade ago, I miss him the most. When I misunderstood part of the rules, and particularly a ruling of an incident, he explained not once but twice exactly where the rub was. His insight was astounding, just as his patience. :thumbup: