Sutil just as arrogant as Di Resta

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Feral9x

Sutil just as arrogant as Di Resta

Post by Feral9x »

Sutil is saying Force India don't control his future and reckons he's done a good job this year despite being beaten by the average Di Resta in points. He sounds just as arrogant as Di Resta in this article and I feel bad for Force India. It's as if both their drivers don't appreciate the fact that they have a drive at all in F1. They should sack both drivers but they'll probably keep one due to continuity next year.

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/forceindia/motors ... 29059.html

mikeyg123

Re: Sutil just as arrogant as Di Resta

Post by mikeyg123 »

To be fair all F1 drivers are arrogant and have good reason to be. It doesn't bother me.

stevey

Post by stevey »

Theres no point in continuity with drivers for next year as its a complete reset - hopefully.

FI would be a great team for some new up and comers or some at the back of the grid who are doing well also.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

If you think it's arrongance, then even Force India deserve it.

They always wish to the last team in providing information. When it's the driver intereviews, Sutil's & Di Resta's comments are the last ones to be added.

The team always wait till the extreme end to decide & annouce its line up. If either driver were to get the boot, it would be hopeless for him to try getting another seat as by then all the other teams would've announced their lineups. By announcing early, in the worst case scenario, the booted driver can get some chance & time to negotiate with other teams while the window is open.

I can understand Sutil's 'Arrogance'
Feel The Fourth

Amon

Post by Amon »

Looking elsewhere? Is there really any other team interested in hiring him? He has spent his whole F1 career at Force India and no other team but Williams ever expressed interest in him. Force India was again the team who gave him another chance despite Bianchi being a better prospect. But Force India doesn't want to give a chance to drivers who are a prospect for a top team such as Magnussen so I guess Sutil will be there until he gets too old for the job.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8965658/Force-India-Magnussen-is-not-for-us

Nice try Adrian, but if Hulk stayed on, u would still be seatless.
F1 fan since 1989

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

Kidding himself that he has some kind of control if you ask me.

In reality, there are 30+ drivers who could all say they deserve an F1 seat but there are only 22 seats available.

Countless drivers could do the solid, unspectacular job Sutil has done for FI this season
Leave me alone.....I know what I'm doing

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

UnlikeUday wrote:If you think it's arrongance, then even Force India deserve it.

They always wish to the last team in providing information. When it's the driver intereviews, Sutil's & Di Resta's comments are the last ones to be added.

The team always wait till the extreme end to decide & annouce its line up. If either driver were to get the boot, it would be hopeless for him to try getting another seat as by then all the other teams would've announced their lineups. By announcing early, in the worst case scenario, the booted driver can get some chance & time to negotiate with other teams while the window is open.

It's the teams prerogative to decide who they employ and when they make the decision. If Adrian or Paul wish to negotiate with other teams or go out and sign a contract elsewhere for 2014 then they are perfect able to do so as far as I'm aware.

If either of them had done an outstanding job then i suspect their futures would already be a lot clearer.

But they have been average and there are plenty of average F1 drivers out there for Force India to choose from....

Feral9x

Post by Feral9x »

I doubt other teams are considering either of them. If Hulk for some bizarre reason (Weight) doesn't get the Lotus drive I suspect FI would hire him in an instant, leaving one of them without a job just like that. If I was them (Sut/Dir) I would be bigging up the team and stating what a great team they are to work for and how lucky they are to have a drive when other solid drivers are without a seat. I read an interview with Martin Brundle earlier today on Sky where he said Paul isn't that well liked within the team and no other team has shown any interest in Sutil.

Edit: Here is the link where MB says Dir isn't well liked. Second paragraph of Dir section.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058 ... th-ferrari

Misinformed

Post by Misinformed »

AFCTUJacko wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:If you think it's arrongance, then even Force India deserve it.

It's the teams prerogative to decide who they employ and when they make the decision. If Adrian or Paul wish to negotiate with other teams or go out and sign a contract elsewhere for 2014 then they are perfect able to do so as far as I'm aware.

If either of them had done an outstanding job then i suspect their futures would already be a lot clearer.

But they have been average and there are plenty of average F1 drivers out there for Force India to choose from....

Are you familiar with corporate social responsibility and ethics? It's not like Force India don't do this every year. Come end of season they have a tendency to hang their drivers out to dry.
This is where the party's at.
Webber.Button.Ricciardo.Grosjean.Hulkenberg.Lowndes.Power.Marquez.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Feral9x wrote:Sutil is saying Force India don't control his future and reckons he's done a good job this year despite being beaten by the average Di Resta in points. He sounds just as arrogant as Di Resta in this article and I feel bad for Force India. It's as if both their drivers don't appreciate the fact that they have a drive at all in F1. They should sack both drivers but they'll probably keep one due to continuity next year.

Di Resta isn't average. He's not top class but he's not just average either.

He's on a bad roll right now but he'll bounce back.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

If Sutil says he wants a drive, he gets a drive. Either that, or you get the glass.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

Define "average" ? For me both are solid drivers. They're not top class maybe, but they deserve a seat in a midfield team like Force India IMO.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

But friends, let's remember how many points the drivers and team loose because of the wheel nut problem in Malasia and even at some races after it.
The end is near

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

RacingFan1 wrote:Define "average" ? For me both are solid drivers. They're not top class maybe, but they deserve a seat in a midfield team like Force India IMO.

They are solid. And no doubt they deserve their seats. "Average" drivers come and go and don't sustain careers in the top flight.

Di Resta was very competitive at the start of the season. He had a car capable of points and he delivered, scoring points in 7 of the first 8 races (the DNF being the wheelnut issue mentioned above). Then we had the tyre change.
I have no doubt that he could win a race in a car capable of winning.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

beyamei

Post by beyamei »

Sutil on the radio during the Korean GP:
The car’s ******* slow. I can’t go faster. It’s a piece of ****.

Source: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/10/09/2 ... ranscript/

I can understand his frustration at the slow pace of the car, but calling it a piece of junk over the radio where the whole world can hear is pretty disrespectful to the team and the hundreds of people who worked on that car.
I do think Sutil is a pretty deserving driver to be in F1, but he's easily replaceable.
VettelRaikkonenNasr

raceman

Post by raceman »

Sutil may be under performing this year but Force India would be finishing in the constructors championship in the same place even if they had a better driver. Plus, Sutil brings a few million in sponsorship.

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

mcdo wrote:
Feral9x wrote:Sutil is saying Force India don't control his future and reckons he's done a good job this year despite being beaten by the average Di Resta in points. He sounds just as arrogant as Di Resta in this article and I feel bad for Force India. It's as if both their drivers don't appreciate the fact that they have a drive at all in F1. They should sack both drivers but they'll probably keep one due to continuity next year.

No, average would be bestowing too much praise on the boy. Subpar would be fitting.
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Seanie wrote:
mcdo wrote:

No, average would be bestowing too much praise on the boy. Subpar would be fitting.

Well that's just plain wrong.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

Misinformed wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:

Are you familiar with corporate social responsibility and ethics? It's not like Force India don't do this every year. Come end of season they have a tendency to hang their drivers out to dry.

Social responsibility?

A/ I doubt either Paul or Adrian will end up on the streets begging for food if they don't get a Force India drive

B/ This is F1. People get hung out to dry all the time. Adrian and Paul would both hang Force India out to dry if they were offered a better drive. Would that be unethical?

FI's ultimate responsibility is to their "regular" employees who aren't millionaires. And to that end they have a duty to pick the best drivers possible to win them as many points as possible and be as successful as a business possible. And how long they take to do it is their decision.

Like I said. Force India can take their time over the decision. Paul & Adrian can seek alternative opportunities. It's a 2 way street.

Volantary

Post by Volantary »

Every time Sutil was in a strong position at the start of the season (aside from Australia) things went badly for reasons out of his control. Hence the gap in points to Di Resta. Now the FI is terrible and he can't catch up, so it looks like he's performed much worse than he has. There's as little perceptible difference between the two as there was in 2011. Every time they both finished in the points Sutil has been ahead. So yes, I think he's done a good job and Force India will know that.

That he thinks he has a future in F1 outside Force India isn't arrogance imo. People didn't call Hamilton arrogant when he decided there was a future outside Mclaren. They called him nuts for leaving, but not arrogant.
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy

Feral9x

Post by Feral9x »

Volantary wrote:Every time Sutil was in a strong position at the start of the season (aside from Australia) things went badly for reasons out of his control. Hence the gap in points to Di Resta. Now the FI is terrible and he can't catch up, so it looks like he's performed much worse than he has. There's as little perceptible difference between the two as there was in 2011. Every time they both finished in the points Sutil has been ahead. So yes, I think he's done a good job and Force India will know that.

That he thinks he has a future in F1 outside Force India isn't arrogance imo. People didn't call Hamilton arrogant when he decided there was a future outside Mclaren. They called him nuts for leaving, but not arrogant.

Yes but Hamilton is widely considered to be one of the best drivers in F1 so he's able to chose the seat he wants, just like Raikkonen was able to pick between the Lotus and the Ferrari. Sutil on the other hand doesn't have the luxury of choice as he isn't a world champion and nobody would consider him to be one of the best in the sport. He hasn't even had a podium yet despite being in F1 for 6 years.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Volantary wrote:Every time Sutil was in a strong position at the start of the season (aside from Australia) things went badly for reasons out of his control. Hence the gap in points to Di Resta. Now the FI is terrible and he can't catch up, so it looks like he's performed much worse than he has. There's as little perceptible difference between the two as there was in 2011. Every time they both finished in the points Sutil has been ahead. So yes, I think he's done a good job and Force India will know that.

No in Canada Di Resta finished 7th, Sutil 10th. When both finished, Di Resta finished 4 times ahead of Sutil, Sutil 3 times ahead of Di Resta. I would say they have been pretty even but neither are anything special.
F1 fan since 1989

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

RacingFan1 wrote:Define "average" ? For me both are solid drivers. They're not top class maybe, but they deserve a seat in a midfield team like Force India IMO.

If they deserve a midfield car then I'd say they're average. Above average drivers are in the top teams and below average drivers in the bottom teams :-P

aryaputhra

Post by aryaputhra »

Di Resta is not arrogant? He's just an Italian blood in Scot's clothing. :]

Personally, I think both are talented and both should be in F1 and I wish them both a move to better teams next year to prove their mettle. I feel sad for FI because essentially they are a good team – but they always seem to stuck in that middle order for a while now.

On the other hand, FI also need to confirm their lineups early on as it is not really a good thing for the drivers to keep them guessing.

aryaputhra

Post by aryaputhra »

beyamei wrote:Sutil on the radio during the Korean GP:

I can understand his frustration at the slow pace of the car, but calling it a piece of junk over the radio where the whole world can hear is pretty disrespectful to the team and the hundreds of people who worked on that car.
I do think Sutil is a pretty deserving driver to be in F1, but he's easily replaceable.

I missed out the Korean GP. That's pretty nasty if true..

Again it just shows the level of frustration from the driver's perspective. It could be that the driver wants to do a good job but cannot do so with what's been given to him.

We should remember most of these middle order drivers are also trying to secure their seats for next season. So when they realize the car is not as good to secure any points; it can add to their frustration.

flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

This comment has to be taken in context. He had problems in the car, read the transcripts.

Read the other transcripts, and you will see many drivers aren't so quite polite. It's the adenalin... You can't expect all F1 drivers to drive at 250+ Km/H speeds and still speak with total politeness.

Sutil is a very good driver, not "easily replaceable" IMHO.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

flavio81 wrote:

This comment has to be taken in context. He had problems in the car, read the transcripts.

Read the other transcripts, and you will see many drivers aren't so quite polite. It's the adenalin... You can't expect all F1 drivers to drive at 250+ Km/H speeds and still speak with total politeness.

I second that.

Next year, hope Force India gets much more than they've got. With a clean slate of rules, hope they start on strong. Both the drivers may shine if the car is strong.
Feel The Fourth

Formula1Fan.

Post by Formula1Fan. »

mikeyg123 wrote:To be fair all F1 drivers are arrogant and have good reason to be. It doesn't bother me.

No one has good reason to be arrogant.
We want heroes, but there are few, mainly it's cars - Pedro De La Rosa

coulthards chin

Post by coulthards chin »

I had a lot of time for Sutil in his first F1 career and think he's been very lucky to be given another chance. Both Sutil and Di Resta are lucky that they habe a supportive team who aren't desperately in need of big sponsorship from their drivers, there are a number of drivers out of the sport who are on a similar performance level to the pair. Kovaleinen, Buemi, Alguersuari, Kobayashi, Glock would all be capable of doing the job that these two are doing in my opinion
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th
2015 - 6th
2019 - 10th

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

coulthards chin wrote:I had a lot of time for Sutil in his first F1 career and think he's been very lucky to be given another chance. Both Sutil and Di Resta are lucky that they habe a supportive team who aren't desperately in need of big sponsorship from their drivers, there are a number of drivers out of the sport who are on a similar performance level to the pair. Kovaleinen, Buemi, Alguersuari, Kobayashi, Glock would all be capable of doing the job that these two are doing in my opinion

Agree.

If either of them had showed anything truly outstanding then their future would have been secure a long time ago....

Volantary

Post by Volantary »

coulthards chin wrote:I had a lot of time for Sutil in his first F1 career and think he's been very lucky to be given another chance. Both Sutil and Di Resta are lucky that they habe a supportive team who aren't desperately in need of big sponsorship from their drivers, there are a number of drivers out of the sport who are on a similar performance level to the pair. Kovaleinen, Buemi, Alguersuari, Kobayashi, Glock would all be capable of doing the job that these two are doing in my opinion

Kobayashi would do a better job than either imho. Not that I'm biased or anything... to be honest I'm a bit of a Sutil fan!

Sutil is a good driver, no doubt about that. I don't think any team (even a top team) would be disappointed with the job he's doing. Having said that I think the same about any of the drivers you listed, except for Kovi who I think is massively overrated.

I guess if you think the drivers you listed would do an equal job it's better to keep Sutil for continuity's sake. Taking someone like Algy (who I think is the best of that list) would see similar teething problems to the Hulk where he took half a season to get up to speed.
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy

coulthards chin

Post by coulthards chin »

Volantary wrote:

Kobayashi would do a better job than either imho. Not that I'm biased or anything... to be honest I'm a bit of a Sutil fan!

Sutil is a good driver, no doubt about that. I don't think any team (even a top team) would be disappointed with the job he's doing. Having said that I think the same about any of the drivers you listed, except for Kovi who I think is massively overrated.

I guess if you think the drivers you listed would do an equal job it's better to keep Sutil for continuity's sake. Taking someone like Algy (who I think is the best of that list) would see similar teething problems to the Hulk where he took half a season to get up to speed.

I wasn't really insinuating that FI should replace either of their drivers, as like you said there isn't really much point replacing a driver if there's noone on that list who stands out as being better by a margin. I was more making the point that Sutil/Di Resta should both count themselves quite lucky because had they been with another team they could easily be in a similar situation to the listed drivers
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th
2015 - 6th
2019 - 10th

Amon

Post by Amon »

flavio81 wrote:

Well I really wasn't missing Sutil last year and think the combo of Hulk-Di Resta was good enough to forget about Sutil. Sutil hasn't shown so far to be any better than journeyman Heidfeld, being slower, less consistent and more incident and mistake prone than Heidfeld.
F1 fan since 1989

Amon

Post by Amon »

coulthards chin wrote:
Volantary wrote:

I wasn't really insinuating that FI should replace either of their drivers, as like you said there isn't really much point replacing a driver if there's noone on that list who stands out as being better by a margin. I was more making the point that Sutil/Di Resta should both count themselves quite lucky because had they been with another team they could easily be in a similar situation to the listed drivers

I would put Kobayashi and Alguersuari in the car. Even though Kova and Glock are good I think both had more than enough chances (just like Sutil) and are a bit overrated. If Bianchi however was available I would put him in the car instead of Algy.
F1 fan since 1989

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

What a stupid thing for Sutil to say....

It's unlikely he can get a better car then the Force India a the moment, even if he's on the grid next year. He may end up in a Marussia or Caterham.

The more I hear from this guy the more he irks me.

BrazilLastCorner2008

Post by BrazilLastCorner2008 »

mcdo wrote:

I agree with this but what irritates me about PDR is his sense of entitlement to a top drive. Has recently claimed he's done just as good of a job as Hulk this season- not sure how he figured that out.

Keep Fighting Michael

rej1972

Post by rej1972 »

mikeyg123 wrote:To be fair all F1 drivers are arrogant and have good reason to be. It doesn't bother me.

Yes they are, and yes they have. However some are more arrogant than others. The stand out ones at the moment are Sutil and Di Resta as mentioned above. To this I'd include Hulkenberg, "I want things sorted by the end of the month." and Maldonado, "I might as well stay at home next year."

FlyingScot

Post by FlyingScot »

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I agree with this but what irritates me about PDR is his sense of entitlement to a top drive. Has recently claimed he's done just as good of a job as Hulk this season- not sure how he figured that out.

I think he was talking about the context of the whole season - in the first half of the season he had scored points in 7 out of the opening 8 races while Hulk had done nothing, whereas now Hulk is on a strong run and Di Resta is nowhere. I think he was just a bit resentful of the fact that his good start seems to have been forgotten and Hulk is fresh in everyone's minds.