39%
No
61%

Total votes: 114

Balibari
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Re: Button might lose Mclaren seat?

Post by Balibari »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:In an interview broadcast on Sky Sports News, Jenson himself said "It's not an issue for either party" and "we'll be racing together in 2014". I certainly put more stock in comments from the man himself than a rumour being branded around by a Twitter account which doesn't even have 2,000 followers...

If McLaren replace either driver, I could see it being Perez, but I think that would depend on who their title sponsor ends up being (Telmex? Gillette? Somebody else?) and, if it were Massa taking his seat, how much faith they have in Magnussen and Vandoorne to be ready for a McLaren drive in a couple of years.

:thumbup:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

f1diablo wrote:Why are Mclaren taking so long with buttons contract? I know contracts need to be agreed on in every little detail but it does seem strange. There were rumours of kimi to mclaren, alonso and now massa is in talks 8O

The fact you are asking why just goes to show you have little clue when it comes to a contract. Contracts especially for sports these days is big enough to fill a book. A huge chuck of it is the duties (in this case) the driver.

We are talking about sponsors and events which requires the driver not to just turn up but what to wear and say. The details all are fined tuned by the team, the driver, the sponsors and the agent. The team could be deciding if a 1 year contract will do, Button might be deciding the same, another team could be interested in Button, the team may want Button to take a different role after the 1 year contract. Button may only want to drive and then leave F1 for good.

There is a million things, they could be simply too busy to be worried about it right now. And also remember that 99% of that contract they are not allowed to discuss it with the outside world.

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Amon wrote:As others have pointed out, McLaren would be foolish to replace Button with Hulk. If any driver should be replaced it must be Perez. I think Macca were way too quick signing Perez.

I agree, I think they were just trying to save face from losing Lewis by signing what was believed to be the next big thing.

They should have waited, that seat would have been sought after given the relative competitiveness of their 2012 car. Why they signed Perez in secret out of nowhere, with no apparent other contenders, baffles me.
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

Bahamut19

Post by Bahamut19 »

benmc wrote:
Bahamut19 wrote:There is not driver who is available that is Button's equal at the moment. He's one of the best drivers on the grid, and only his poor consistency prevents him from being on the same level as Vettel and Alonso. Perez has yet to show that he is anywhere near Button's level. When Button is off-form Perez can beat him marginally. When Button is on form, there is no contest. In all of Button's best performances this year Perez was nowhere.

Button is the best option available for 2014, but I reckon Mclaren are hesitant about committing to 2015 because of his age and/or possible wage demands.

In any case, as long as Mclaren aren't complete dolts they'll keep Button next year. That said, Mclaren haven't exactly shown themselves to be the greatest decision makers in recent years...

It's not so much a lack of consistency with Jenson, but that he seems to be notably slower when he can't find the balance he'd like with the car. That, and Jenson is known to struggle in slower cars. But when you give Jenson a top car, such as the '09 Brawn or '11 McLaren, he is as consistent as anyone.

I agree, I just count his fussiness with car setup as part of his consistency. It's not that he's driving badly exactly, it's more that he can't drive as fast as he can because his style doesn't match the way the car is set up. It's a shortcoming that he can't overcome, and so it affects his performance on track. Whether he could have driven better had his car been set up better is, in my opinion, irrelevant.

Either way, what I was trying to say is that while it doesn't come around often enough for my liking as a Button fan, on his day Button is capable of beating any of the top drivers. This isn't something that you can say about any driver on the grid, which makes replacing Button a huge risk. It would have been a risk if Hamilton was still at Mclaren, but it's utter madness when Perez and Hulkenburg is the strongest alternative line-up available.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/mclaren-driver-continuity-not-a-priority-82497

For 2015, McLaren have claimed that driver continuity is not a priority.

Hence, rumours of him getting a 1 yer contract only could be true.
Feel The Fourth

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Purely coincidental, I'm sure, but it's interesting that just this afternoon Jonathan Neale had this to say:

"I'm not in a position where I can be specific about what's going to happen there, but I can say that both Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne are currently dominating the World Series championship and I think are really exciting prospects for the future," he said.

"I think it behoves us as a sport to make sure that those pretty talented individuals find their way into Formula 1. Certainly on current performance they look like they've earned the right to get there, but the step between coming through the junior series and coming into F1 is pretty challenging.

"We're trying to figure out the best way to do that. I'm sorry I can't be specific, but we would expect both those two in Formula 1 in the not-too-distant future."

Again, I wonder how much having those two on the cusp of F1 is influencing McLaren's driver decisions for both next year, and in the long-term. As Neale says, there's no guarantee once they get to F1, they can make the step up, but if nothing else having two drivers in a pretty similar position doubles the chances of one succeeding in F1.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

EverestBaseCamp

Post by EverestBaseCamp »

JENSON BUTTON should join LOTUS-Renault.... and they will take him in a snap to partner Grosjean on a "performance based contract" like Kimi's.

At the end of your career, a World Champion should be having fun in the last years than get grinded in that weird Mclaren environment. Somehow I guess Lotus-Renault will sort out things easily & Button might end up with a better car, work environment & performance than Mclaren in 2014.

This Mclaren currently doesn't inspire confidence or passion anymore. It's just plain old boring for Mclaren year after year. Lotus will be much better if money is sorted... which Bernie might make sure will happen.

Mclaren are the worst of all teams heading into 2014 (Merc)-2015(Honda). Loads and loads of trial & error coming up. Button would be happier elsewhere. Depends. Motivation for all-things Mclaren needs to be very high to swallow barren results.

Mika, Kimi, Montoya, Alonso, Hamilton.... all left Mclaren way before they reached 32 Years. Just tells a lot about why great drivers run away from Mclaren for their Prime years after Youth. Get out is what I think Button should do right now if good options are available.

chetan_rao

Post by chetan_rao »

Looks more like Checo might lose his spot if a new title sponsor is found. Mclaren may dump him and get Hulkenberg long-term, or get Massa as a short-term stop-gap while one of their youth drivers preps to step up.

destiny

Post by destiny »

I feel that the delay is due to Button holding out for a longer contract(2-3 years) and retire at Mclaren.

The team may want to offer only a one year contract due to the Honda factor in 2015 or a lot of rumours about alonso and vettel having options in their contracts to move out of their teams for 2015.If that is the case Mclaren might want to give button only a one year and see who becomes available at the end of 2014

If button does not agree to a one year contract the team amy look at Massa as a stopgap for one year and see if they can get vettel,alonso or rosberg in 2015.

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

destiny wrote:
If button does not agree to a one year contract the team amy look at Massa as a stopgap for one year and see if they can get vettel,alonso or rosberg in 2015.

That's a very unlikely outcome, the worst case scenario will be button signing for one year.

minchy

Post by minchy »

Seanie wrote:
destiny wrote:

That's a very unlikely outcome, the worst case scenario will be button signing for one year.

I'm also wondering who team amy are? Are they related to How? :-P
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

Chunky

Post by Chunky »

raceman wrote:IMO, if McLaren doesn't sign Button, it's because Button wants to go/talking to another team, not the other way around. He's doing a much better job than Perez and McLaren would probably want a known quality for 2014. McLaren aren't the type of team to buy-out contracts (nor are they cash rich enough to do so) so I am sure Perez is staying. Button going to another team looks unlikely as Lotus is the only other competitive seat but the team looks to be a tad unstable lately (loss of Allison, aero engineer, and $$$ problems).

This could all just be normal contract negotiation. JB's team plays hard ball for more $$$; McLaren "hold out" while all the other competitive seats are filled.

:thumbup: This. Pretty much.

Sponsor money means Perez has the safest seat on the grid. JB wan't a multi-year deal, McLaren are only offering 12 months. I'm betting this is because they want a Honda seat available in 2015.

He should go to Renault.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Wow 46% say yes?
Id be very surprised, what they going to do have Perez as a leading driver........

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Wow 46% say yes?
Id be very surprised, what they going to do have Perez as a leading driver........

I wonder who their fave driver is... :o

f1diablo

Post by f1diablo »

EverestBaseCamp wrote:JENSON BUTTON should join LOTUS-Renault.... and they will take him in a snap to partner Grosjean on a "performance based contract" like Kimi's.

At the end of your career, a World Champion should be having fun in the last years than get grinded in that weird Mclaren environment. Somehow I guess Lotus-Renault will sort out things easily & Button might end up with a better car, work environment & performance than Mclaren in 2014.

This Mclaren currently doesn't inspire confidence or passion anymore. It's just plain old boring for Mclaren year after year. Lotus will be much better if money is sorted... which Bernie might make sure will happen.

Mclaren are the worst of all teams heading into 2014 (Merc)-2015(Honda). Loads and loads of trial & error coming up. Button would be happier elsewhere. Depends. Motivation for all-things Mclaren needs to be very high to swallow barren results.

Mika, Kimi, Montoya, Alonso, Hamilton.... all left Mclaren way before they reached 32 Years. Just tells a lot about why great drivers run away from Mclaren for their Prime years after Youth. Get out is what I think Button should do right now if good options are available.

Interesting

schumi7

Post by schumi7 »

I really can't see Perez being replaced, he's just joined the team, they've given him a crap car and he's had crap performances. But he hasn't been a world apart from Jenson, and I reckon he'll definitely improve next year. I just think that all this talk is negotiation tactics, replacing Button with Massa would just be stupid imo, replacing him with Hulk would be bold. It'd be interesting to say the least, and would pave the way for Jenson going to Lotus. I'm just imagining the grid like that and how ridiculous it would've sounded at the beginning of 2012.

But I really can't see any of this happening, I reckon McLaren will stick to their drivers, and hopefully Hulk goes to Lotus.
米克尔 科琳娜 吉娜 米克
Keep Fighting Michael!

Ciao Jules

aryaputhra

Post by aryaputhra »

Would love to see Di Resta in McLaren. They need the pompuosity and aggressiveness :]

minchy

Post by minchy »

aryaputhra wrote:Would love to see Di Resta in McLaren. They need the pompuosity and aggressiveness :]

pomposity maybe, but they already have aggressiveness with Perez!
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

aryaputhra

Post by aryaputhra »

minchy wrote: pomposity maybe, but they already have aggressiveness with Perez!

Ya but isn't he blind or something 8) ..needs bigger glasses. :!:

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Jonathan Neale has said "His squad won't hesitate to make changes to their 2014 driver line-up in order to get the job done".

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/mclaren-039-not-afraid-to-make-changes-039-82515

I can't imagine Button anywhere else other than McLaren.

McLaren have said that they would be making a decision soon regarding their line-up, not atleast before this weekend is over, as they want to concentrate completely on the race.
Feel The Fourth

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

Seanie wrote:
Amon wrote:As others have pointed out, McLaren would be foolish to replace Button with Hulk. If any driver should be replaced it must be Perez. I think Macca were way too quick signing Perez.

I agree, I think they were just trying to save face from losing Lewis by signing what was believed to be the next big thing.

They should have waited, that seat would have been sought after given the relative competitiveness of their 2012 car. Why they signed Perez in secret out of nowhere, with no apparent other contenders, baffles me.

Perez was supposed to be this new young talent but he has been more even with Button but JB is still walking away with hefty points. Both drivers have had their fair share of bad luck but the score board is important.

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

aryaputhra wrote:Would love to see Di Resta in McLaren. They need the pompuosity and aggressiveness :]

He's managed by Button and his manager, surely they wouldn't negotiate Jenson out of his own seat haha :o

Teddy007 wrote:
Seanie wrote:

Perez was supposed to be this new young talent but he has been more even with Button but JB is still walking away with hefty points. Both drivers have had their fair share of bad luck but the score board is important.
I just don't think Sergio is as good as McLaren would have hoped when they rush released the news that he'd signed to join Jenson for 2013.

I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced him with Hulkenburg. (I probably would if I was Martin. (I can't imagine him getting rid of best mate JB))

mas

Post by mas »

I like Button and his record but he's not exactly been way ahead of Perez on track even if his points total has been greater due to his racecraft and consistency. McLaren probably think they are not getting an Alonso/Hamilton-esque team leader performance out of him with his laid-back style in an uncompetitive car. I figure he could be vulnerable to Hulkenberg with Massa going to the Lotus seat. In that case I think Button would end up in Force India replacing their weird psycho and their car would probably suit him as it's invariably soft on its tyres. I think McLaren are also trying to get Magnussen into Marussia. Button has overplayed his hand recently with his bold statements and may surprisingly find himself out of McLaren next year. Yes Button is still better than Perez but millions of salary and sponsorship better ? Not really.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Seanie wrote:.

I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced him with Hulkenburg. (I probably would if I was Martin. (I can't imagine him getting rid of best mate JB))

I don't think friendships have any bearing on whether a driver will be hired at this level, unless possibly as a tie-breaker. JB will be kept on only as long as the team / MW think he has something to offer. And currently he's doing much better than Perez (which is only to be expected really, given their relative experience). He's about where he should be in the WDC as the drivers in front all have much better cars.

I don't see an alternative to Button for McLaren at this juncture. Perez, maybe. Depends on whether and by how much they need the money he brings. Maybe the Gillette sponsorship might free up their decision making a bit.

James14

Post by James14 »

As a world champion should he not have been moving heaven and earth to get into a better car? If it was me I would have offered to drive for free for a year to get Webbers seat at RB!

He is either:
1. Taking the easy option of looking for a long term contract at a high profile team to 'see out' his days.
2. Or he fully believes that McLaren will produce a title winning car over the next couple of years and wants to be part of that.

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

James14 wrote:As a world champion should he not have been moving heaven and earth to get into a better car? If it was me I would have offered to drive for free for a year to get Webbers seat at RB!

He is either:
1. Taking the easy option of looking for a long term contract at a high profile team to 'see out' his days.
2. Or he fully believes that McLaren will produce a title winning car over the next couple of years and wants to be part of that.

I think he'll be there next year. I think the stalemate is down to terms and money.

I think he'll end up taking a pay cut for a 2 year contract and some ridiculous sponsor days for a better car.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

After all is said and done I expect to see the Macca driver line-up unchanged for 2014.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

tootsie323 wrote:After all is said and done I expect to see the Macca driver line-up unchanged for 2014.

I agree.

This could be all a front into scaring their line up into being less complacent.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Button (not McLaren) has confirmed that his 2014 deal has been been put into place or confirmed:-

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/button-confirms-2014-deal-82554

Perez also said earlier today that his deal is nearing completion.
Feel The Fourth

Race2win

Post by Race2win »

With Vodafone quitting at the end of the year McLaren are in desperate need of a title sponsor. Money is pretty hard to come by in today's market situation. So the signing of Perez makes a lot more sense if Telmex comes on onboard to replace Vodafone. That way they can have enough funding for 2 very competitive cars. Perez has been ok so far in the car. But its just his 1st season at McLaren and even then the car is an absolute bitch. So before passing a judgement on Perez let see what he can do when the car is a bit better. Button isn't going anywhere. he will still be there at least for another 2 yrs and maybe beyond.
[b LOADING KILL LIST.......[/b]
--------------------

Balibari
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Post by Balibari »

UnlikeUday wrote:Button (not McLaren) has confirmed that his 2014 deal has been been put into place or confirmed:-

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/button-confirms-2014-deal-82554

Perez also said earlier today that his deal is nearing completion.

Yeah, Sky reporting the deal is now done. Theoretically we're just waiting on the announcement from McLaren.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:Purely coincidental, I'm sure, but it's interesting that just this afternoon Jonathan Neale had this to say:

"I'm not in a position where I can be specific about what's going to happen there, but I can say that both Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne are currently dominating the World Series championship and I think are really exciting prospects for the future," he said.

"I think it behoves us as a sport to make sure that those pretty talented individuals find their way into Formula 1. Certainly on current performance they look like they've earned the right to get there, but the step between coming through the junior series and coming into F1 is pretty challenging.

"We're trying to figure out the best way to do that. I'm sorry I can't be specific, but we would expect both those two in Formula 1 in the not-too-distant future."

Again, I wonder how much having those two on the cusp of F1 is influencing McLaren's driver decisions for both next year, and in the long-term. As Neale says, there's no guarantee once they get to F1, they can make the step up, but if nothing else having two drivers in a pretty similar position doubles the chances of one succeeding in F1.

Another note to remember is the teams who bring in these youngsters push them to go to other teams first. Ric is a prime example, pushed through the Young Drivers program to HRT before he went to STR and RBR. Its not about young drivers heading to the top team its about getting those drivers in young teams. Even Ferrari did that for Massa before he went to Ferrari.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

So there's already a thread for the silly season and this has been quashed by Jenson and McLaren. Pointless thread then.