Confirmed: Ricciardo at Red Bull in 2014

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Black_Flag_11

Re: Confirmed: Ricciardo at Red Bull in 2014

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

TheThirdTenor wrote:Horner - "we want the strongest drivers we can get."

:lol:

Well they have telemetry data of him in the Red Bull from the YDT, I think they are in a better position to judge if he is the "best driver they can get" than us. Although Horner has been quoted as saying best drivers in some articles and best driver pairing in others.

Everyone seems to be writing Dan off before he has even had a shot in a top car, seems very harsh on him, hopefully he can prove a few people wrong.

Explorer1800

Post by Explorer1800 »

He is lucky that there is a major rule change next year. The former WDC drivers would be wary of making a team switch only to be made to look like fools when their former team does better.
I do believe that Dan has the potential and currently has momentum behind him so I feel the timing is right. A bit stiff for Vergne but he needs to pull his head in and keep driving the wheels off the TR, assuming he is there next year.....
I'd be interested to know what clauses are in that contract at RB

mds

Post by mds »

So, which undoubtedly better driver is available?

Not Alonso. Not Hamilton. Probably not Rosberg. Raikkonen? Who says the talks ended because RBR chose Ricciardo over Raikkonen instead of Raikkonen not agreeing to some terms or conditions or just decided to stay put at Lotus?

The only candidate would be Hulkenberg or maybe Di Resta, and to RBR both of them are an unknown quantity compared to Ricciardo who has driven the RBR and who they have data of.
Last edited by mds on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Mr-E

Post by Mr-E »

YES!! Sitting here following the Football deadline day and the most important move happens here in F1. I now officially am a RBR fanboy because of this. Get in there Dan! WDC 2014!

OutKast

Post by OutKast »

Good to see Toro Rosso being used. I wanted to see Dan more than Kimi or anyone else in that second Red Bull seat.

I hope JEV is not down about this. He has a seat next year with STR and hopefully he improve.

Congrats to see an Aussie on the grid for next season as well! He will do fine, he will struggle at the beginning a bit, but I think he can get close to Vettel. We shall see. 2014 is looking good already...
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

I'm glad they went with him, it would completely undermine the young driver program (and existence of STR) had they signed Kimi.
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

TheThirdTenor wrote:Horner - "we want the strongest number 2 driver we can get."

Fixed :]
I wonder if "grin aussie" will still keep the big smile if he's ever told let Vettel pass.
Last edited by RacingFan1 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armchair Expert

Post by Armchair Expert »

number27 wrote:This. I could understand RBR wanting to hire a young driver but to choose Ricciardo over Hulkenberg seems like the wrong decision to me. I really don't see Ricciardo as being able to present much of a challenge to Vettel but, as ever, time will tell.

If journeyman Webber could challenge Vettel at 36 years of age last year, why Ricciardo, who achieved more than Webber did in all his pre-F1 career, wouldn't be able to do that? Besides, if Newey can't find a way to direct exhaust gasses into diffusor like he's done since 2010 making rocketships which suited Vettel perfectly, Vettel will be back to his usual self - Crashkid will return. We already saw that last year, when Vettel, who was driving in a rocketship for most of the year, almost threw title away, making comical number of errors and not coping very well in a car that had at the beginning of 2012 season inconsistently working EBD.

Although it has to be said for now Ricciardo isn't impressive on all Sundays, but that of course can change when joining the top team. He has mature head of his shoulders and his technical feedback is top notch, so let's wait and see what 2014 will bring. It's the best opportunity to change teams, as regulations will be vastly different to those in 2013, therefore someone like Ricciardo won't be as penalised, as he would be joining RB this year.
I know what I'm talking about.

Prema

Post by Prema »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Prema wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:I have a good feeling about Dan, I think he has the qualifying speed to match Vettel from time to time like Mark & if he can do that it will boost his confidence massively and at that point I think we have a top driver on our hands.

... yeah, a top driver already... just in case that Vettel doesn't get the upper hand over him...

Somewhat confusing comment. I agree with Water that his Sundays let him down, but that has been the case with Hamilton & Vettel at the start of their careers. A strong qualy performance against Vettel will give him a confidence boost on Sundays IMO.

I doubt he will beat Vettel sure, but im not ruling him out, its easier to teach a driver with natural raw pace how to race at the front, than take a driver without natural pace and try get more out of him.

Dont rule out Dan just yet, he may surprise us. Vettel & Hamilton did.

No, I don't rule Dan out.

What I meant, it would come convenient for Vettel that he lost against a top driver, in the case that he does actually loose against Dan. But Dan will not be seen like that. Only Vettel fans will be willing to grant to Dan the status of a top driver as that would hurt less. The rest of the population would get their satisfaction of seeing Vettel being beaten by NOT a top driver (when has Dan proved himself as such)?

mds

Post by mds »

Armchair Expert wrote:Vettel will be back to his usual self

Winning more titles then? Don't know if you realise it but should he clinch this year's title, he'll have 4 WDC's in 6 full seasons competing in F1. So his "usual self" is taking titles.

almost threw title away

"Almost throwing the title away" is a great way of saying "winning the title".

making comical number of errors

What, in Brazil? One race incident? Eh, Alonso made more errors in T1 alone that race. He was lucky it wasn't a gravel pit anymore, else his title bid would have been over well before the race ended.

and not coping very well in a car that had at the beginning of 2012 season inconsistently working EBD.

First repeat winner of 2012 if not for a failing alternator - that's "not coping very well" for you?

Armchair expert is an armchair expert.

oz_karter

Post by oz_karter »

This is great news for Ricciardo. I did feel that he may have outgrown Toro Rosso after another year.

He has proven his raw speed, you only need to look at his qualifying record against JEV and his past performances in young driver tests for Red Bull to see that.

He is a very marketable driver for Red Bull and I think this step will help him grow. He probably has more future potential than any other driver. Red Bull didn't need an experienced driver as they already have Vettel. They need someone they can develop if Vettel leaves in the next few years or just falls off the wagon.

Great news and I'll be cheering for him to give Vettel a touch up next year :smug:

Flukey

Post by Flukey »

Happydays!!! and Good luck to Dan..

TheThirdTenor

Post by TheThirdTenor »

Alonso was the first repeat winner of 2012, not Vettel. In fact, he won 3 races before Vettel became a repeat winner, despite having the handicap of an inferior car.

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

Strange feelings all in all. Happy for Dan, and if you're gonna have a young driver programme and a sister team then that's what should happen. But at the same time they're are better(more proven maybe) drivers out there and Red Bull are a top team. Those chances don't come around too often.

Hope he smashes it(in a good way) at the start of 2014 and we don't end up talking about who should have got the seat for the next year.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

mds

Post by mds »

TheThirdTenor wrote:Alonso was the first repeat winner of 2012, not Vettel. In fact, he won 3 races before Vettel became a repeat winner, despite having the handicap of an inferior car.

First repeat winner of 2012 if not for a failing alternator

TheThirdTenor

Post by TheThirdTenor »

mds wrote:

Not Alonso. Not Hamilton. Probably not Rosberg. Raikkonen? Who says the talks ended because RBR chose Ricciardo over Raikkonen instead of Raikkonen not agreeing to some terms or conditions or just decided to stay put at Lotus?

The only candidate would be Hulkenberg or maybe Di Resta, and to RBR both of them are an unknown quantity compared to Ricciardo who has driven the RBR and who they have data of.

Yes Kimi is better. Clearly they didn't want him enough, and decided to settle for not the best driver. No sane driver walks away from the current RBRs.

TheThirdTenor

Post by TheThirdTenor »

mds wrote:
TheThirdTenor wrote:Alonso was the first repeat winner of 2012, not Vettel. In fact, he won 3 races before Vettel became a repeat winner, despite having the handicap of an inferior car.

First repeat winner of 2012 if not for a failing alternator

Alonso was the 2012 WDC, if not having the handicap of driving the F2012. See what i did there?

mds

Post by mds »

TheThirdTenor wrote:
mds wrote:

Yes Kimi is better. Clearly they didn't want him enough, and decided to settle for not the best driver. No sane driver walks away from the current RBRs.

Yes, Kimi is better. But we're in the dark about both Kimi's and RBR's motives. Maybe Kimi actually believes Lotus will get it together for 2014.
It's speculation, but you might actually have to swallow that " :lol: " one day :)

TheThirdTenor

Post by TheThirdTenor »

Lotus have financial difficulties and lost their technical director...

I think he would rather join the works Renault team that has won the last 3 championships, rather than a team that has only won 2 races in the same period.

mds

Post by mds »

Well, hopefully we will get more information about it in the coming weeks. I'd like to find out too.

To be honest, I think I'm glad Vettel and Raikkonen don't team up. They're my two favorite drivers, and I wouldn't like seeing it end badly.

TheThirdTenor

Post by TheThirdTenor »

I see your dilemma, i felt the same when i found out that Kubica may have joined Alonso at Ferrari.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

number27 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:........... I believe better drivers were available.

This. I could understand RBR wanting to hire a young driver but to choose Ricciardo over Hulkenberg seems like the wrong decision to me. I really don't see Ricciardo as being able to present much of a challenge to Vettel but, as ever, time will tell.

i dont think they wanted a driver who can challenge vettel

Lotus49

Post by Lotus49 »

TheThirdTenor wrote:I see your dilemma, i felt the same when i found out that Kubica may have joined Alonso at Ferrari.

It was apparently a certainty until his accident. Gutted. That would have been a hell of a pairing.
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

Good for Ricciardo. I find him very likeable, he always seems to have a big ol' grin on his face.

xECKSx58

Post by xECKSx58 »

Congrats to Ricciardo. Now Kimi to Ferrari, Hulkenberg to Lotus, and hopefully Bottas will have a better car next year (I don't think he'd be better off going to Sauber to replace Nico).
Of course those are all just my predictions

ColdWinter

Post by ColdWinter »

FormulaFun wrote:
number27 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:........... I believe better drivers were available.

This. I could understand RBR wanting to hire a young driver but to choose Ricciardo over Hulkenberg seems like the wrong decision to me. I really don't see Ricciardo as being able to present much of a challenge to Vettel but, as ever, time will tell.

i dont think they wanted a driver who can challenge vettel

I'm guessing they want to start '14 with the classic #1/#2 driver setup.

If DR can show enough next season, I think he'll be given an equal chance in '15. If he comes close to matching SV, RBR will be in a strong position even if SV decides to move to Ferrari or another team.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

Finally, an end to all the speculation for this seat. It will still be interesting to watch Riccardio in that seat, but I can't help thinking of what might have been if Raikkonen and Red Bull had agreed terms.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

Why are so many people immediately labeling Ricciardo as #2? at least wait until he actually starts driving the car, he's Helmuts offspring as well don't forget.
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

ColdWinter

Post by ColdWinter »

specdecible wrote:Why are so many people immediately labeling Ricciardo as #2? at least wait until he actually starts driving the car, he's Helmuts offspring as well don't forget.

IMO he will have to prove himself over a season before being given co-#1 status with SV.

rvirax

Post by rvirax »

I would like to see how the relationship between Daniel and JEV change after this announcement.

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

Armchair Expert wrote:
number27 wrote:This. I could understand RBR wanting to hire a young driver but to choose Ricciardo over Hulkenberg seems like the wrong decision to me. I really don't see Ricciardo as being able to present much of a challenge to Vettel but, as ever, time will tell.

If journeyman Webber could challenge Vettel at 36 years of age last year, why Ricciardo, who achieved more than Webber did in all his pre-F1 career, wouldn't be able to do that? Besides, if Newey can't find a way to direct exhaust gasses into diffusor like he's done since 2010 making rocketships which suited Vettel perfectly, Vettel will be back to his usual self - Crashkid will return. We already saw that last year, when Vettel, who was driving in a rocketship for most of the year, almost threw title away, making comical number of errors and not coping very well in a car that had at the beginning of 2012 season inconsistently working EBD.

Although it has to be said for now Ricciardo isn't impressive on all Sundays, but that of course can change when joining the top team. He has mature head of his shoulders and his technical feedback is top notch, so let's wait and see what 2014 will bring. It's the best opportunity to change teams, as regulations will be vastly different to those in 2013, therefore someone like Ricciardo won't be as penalised, as he would be joining RB this year.

While I don't agree with everything you have said, it is a fair point that Mark has no doubt lost a lot of his speed since his youth. Even back in those days his speed wasn't consistent, he would be blinding one weekend and not as competitive the next. Dan has showed something more important, being that he is fast everywhere.

mwf1

Post by mwf1 »

Helmut saying Dan 'even until at least the end of 2016' so its a long term contract.

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

rvirax wrote:I would like to see how the relationship between Daniel and JEV change after this announcement.

JEV has been saying dumb fairy cakes about Ricciardo in the media of late. I'd be surprised if there was much of one left. JEV is a very bitter little man.

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

Short of SV, Hamilton and maybe Alonso in his junior years this is the earliest we've seen a fast driver make a top car.

specdecible

Post by specdecible »

infi24r wrote:Short of SV, Hamilton and maybe Alonso in his junior years this is the earliest we've seen a fast driver make a top car.

What about Perez? granted the McLaren isn't top atm but he spent 2 years at Sauber before going to a top team.
Also Heikki Kovalainen raced 1 season before being paired with Hamilton
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

mwf1

Post by mwf1 »

Helmut saying Dan 'even until at least the end of 2016' so its a long term contract.

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

specdecible wrote:
infi24r wrote:Short of SV, Hamilton and maybe Alonso in his junior years this is the earliest we've seen a fast driver make a top car.

What about Perez? granted the McLaren isn't top atm but he spent 2 years at Sauber before going to a top team.
Also Heikki Kovalainen raced 1 season before being paired with Hamilton

Yes, Kobalainen too.

Perez not yet. We'll see how next year's McLaren is.

keenf1fan

Post by keenf1fan »

Christian Horner is starting to appear more and more like a lightweight in the RB setup..

1. Multi21 - vettel ignores him
2. 'We will fix Mark's clutch problems' really?
3. We will hire the 2 strongest drivers for 2014.. what a joke

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

mwf1 wrote:Helmut saying Dan 'even until at least the end of 2016' so its a long term contract.

Yeah Buemi is still under contract too. It doesn't mean you get to keep the seat. He's got his work cut out with a new team and a tough as nails multi WDC teammate. But he seems up for it.

rotbimmer

Post by rotbimmer »

I like the choice because he was moved up from STR. We can only judge what Ricciardo has done in a lesser car and in testing thus far; that's all there is. I can wait until next season to start determining how well he does against the field & team mate. It's now up to Ricciardo to show Red Bull that they made the correct decision.