Confirmed: Ricciardo at Red Bull in 2014

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Water

Confirmed: Ricciardo at Red Bull in 2014

Post by Water »

As he stepped out of the car, it became clear that the person to follow in the footsteps of Mark Webber and the one who gets a seat at what has been the top team of the last few years is, as most people expected, Daniel Ricciardo. Congratulations are in order.

My opinion on the matter hasn't changed at all since the alternatives for Webber's replacements were brought up. I'm ready to be proven wrong, though.

tmzxaar

Re: Confirmed: Ricciardo at Red Bull in 2014

Post by tmzxaar »

H&H

Beastmode

Post by Beastmode »

I don't speak German but I see Helmut Marko's name as "Top Theme".

I'm assuming that your post is a translation of something he said? Doesn't seem to confirm much to me until there is proven evidence that this is official......

tmzxaar

Post by tmzxaar »

I don't speak or understand German but they said it's official.
H&H

TakumaSatoforthewin

Post by TakumaSatoforthewin »

Fair enough. Good luck and hope he proves me wrong.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

He just got asked whether he has spoke to Vettel about it yet or something like that, so yeah looks like Dans got the job. Congrats Daniel

Water

Post by Water »

It's official. I understand enough German to follow the stream, and even if I didn't, it would be completely clear. He said it himself in English - if that isn't a confirmation everyone here understands, I don't know what is.
They're currently talking about his future at Red Bull.

As António Félix da Costa had a seat fitting today, I expect him to be announced as an STR driver in 2014 - the seat fitting is confirmed, the contract isn't. Red Bull's F1 section is currently down.

paul_gmb

Post by paul_gmb »

:lol:

Beastmode

Post by Beastmode »

Water wrote:It's official. I understand enough German to follow the stream, and even if I didn't, it would be completely clear. He said it himself in English - if that isn't a confirmation everyone here understands, I don't know what is.
They're currently talking about his future at Red Bull.

As António Félix da Costa had a seat fitting today, I expect him to be announced as an STR driver in 2014 - the seat fitting is confirmed, the contract isn't. Red Bull's F1 section is currently down.

I didn't put the stream on as I figured it would be German-only, due to the content of the site.

Oh well, good for DR I reckon he will give Seb a good challenge, hes a good racer.

james10171

Post by james10171 »

wonder how JEV must be feeling now.

He has to look at other teams, no chance of Red Bull for the next few years at least...... I don't even think he will get a chance at Red Bull at all.

Red Bull are one of those teams that have their golden wonder drivers, no matter how well JEV would have performed in the earlier part of the season... his performances would still have been overlooked

tmzxaar

Post by tmzxaar »

Still don't know why wasn't the announcement in English but ok.

As I understood from another forum i'ts a 3 year deal or I got something wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1K53Xv4 ... r_embedded
H&H

Water

Post by Water »

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Delete
Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Good on ya' Dani!
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

TakumaSatoforthewin

james10171 wrote:wonder how JEV must be feeling now.

He has to look at other teams, no chance of Red Bull for the next few years at least...... I don't even think he will get a chance at Red Bull at all.

Red Bull are one of those teams that have their golden wonder drivers, no matter how well JEV would have performed in the earlier part of the season... his performances would still have been overlooked

I agree, he isn't as big a personality as Ricciardo so it would always be Ricciardo most likely to get the drive. Apparently JEV has been confirmed for Toro Rosso next year which is a shame as he would have been a nice fit at Lotus.

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Pleased for him!
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

TakumaSatoforthewin

Just Wikipedia-d Dan. It says and I quote...
"In 2014, Ricciardo will join Red Bull as a sidekick for the german Vettel. Expect a lot of Multi 21s."
Last edited by TakumaSatoforthewin on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

No surprise there, really. It's a shame we won't end up with Vettel/Raikkonen (or even Vettel/Alonso, as unlikely as that might've been) but it makes sense for Red Bull to recruit from within, as well as providing them with a seat in which to insert Antonio Felix da Costa. Better for the team harmony to have a firm #2 driver alongside Seb, and they obviously feel Daniel's quick enough to score strong points from a WCC point of view, otherwise he wouldn't have got the gig. It also means that if Seb did move on in a couple of years, and Ricciardo has done a good job, they're not suddenly looking for two drivers.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2020: 9th | 2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

hd23

Post by hd23 »

I hope he will be able to make Vettel's KERS and clutch malfunction more often.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Just Wikipedia-d Dan.
"In 2014, Ricciardo will join Red Bull as a sidekick for the german Vettel. Expect a lot of Multi 21s."

You expect Red Bull to favour Daniel with lots of "Car 2 finish infront of car 1 orders?" ;)

TakumaSatoforthewin

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:Just Wikipedia-d Dan.

You expect Red Bull to favour Daniel with lots of "Car 2 finish infront of car 1 orders?" ;)

Yeah why not, maybe its just the opportunity Red Bull want to bring Vettel down a peg or two. :D Not sure that's what whoever put it meant though.

evil mind

Post by evil mind »

http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/c ... 3357624044

plus RBR put a status on their fb page "Dan u r hired"..its confirmed..he is hired!

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

Good luck to him! Let's wait and see what will be of him.
The end is near

Dan's_the_man

Post by Dan's_the_man »

Dan's the man! Hey they stole my forum name...hehe

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

Good luck to Dan, I hope he performs at the top level at RB

On a side note, a very unusual time to announce this, late on Monday night on transfer deadline day? You would've thought with all RB's PR know how they would've chose a better time.
Winter is Coming

Colinjb

Post by Colinjb »

From HRT to Red Bull, the slowest to fastest.

Good luck Daniel, i've got a feeling you are going to need it.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

I have a good feeling about Dan, I think he has the qualifying speed to match Vettel from time to time like Mark & if he can do that it will boost his confidence massively and at that point I think we have a top driver on our hands.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Good luck to him but I believe better drivers were available.

Prema

Post by Prema »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:I have a good feeling about Dan, I think he has the qualifying speed to match Vettel from time to time like Mark & if he can do that it will boost his confidence massively and at that point I think we have a top driver on our hands.

... yeah, a top driver already... just in case that Vettel doesn't get the upper hand over him...

Water

Post by Water »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:I have a good feeling about Dan, I think he has the qualifying speed to match Vettel from time to time like Mark & if he can do that it will boost his confidence massively and at that point I think we have a top driver on our hands.

I disagree.
He does have qualifying speed, that much is clear. However, his performances on Sundays usually leave me cold. It's just not exciting in any way - he's good, but that's his problem. He appears to be good, not great. He's clearly good enough for a better seat than he has, but I maintain he would've been nowhere near a RB seat had he not been driving a Toro Rosso. He "only" needed to prove that he's on the same level as other future prospects, as he, along with his teammate, had an advantage in driving for STR.
There's something similar between him and Paul di Resta, the difference being their personality. Both are good drivers, but I don't find them very exciting prospects at all. There were better options - I'm going to name Hülkenberg as the future prospect that is the benchmark for the young drivers, Ricciardo included.

However, he's got every opportunity in the world to prove his doubters wrong. He's sitting in the top car of the past years going head-to-head against a triple (at that time possibly quadruple) champion. Drawing conclusions too early in the season would be unwise - I assume that around this time next year we'll be able to assess how Ricciardo compares to Vettel. As I stated in the opening post, I'm ready to be proven wrong. Fresh blood in the club of top drivers is always a good thing, and I wish Ricciardo the best of luck. He must be on top of the world, given the opportunity.
Last edited by Water on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tmzxaar

Post by tmzxaar »

Don't know but I think this will look something like McLaren taking Perez, a IMO total fail.

Hulkenberg is the way to go, hope Ferrari pick him if Raikkonen doesn't go there!
H&H

amirb

Post by amirb »

happy for Dan, hope its not just one season but a few.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Prema wrote:

... yeah, a top driver already... just in case that Vettel doesn't get the upper hand over him...

Somewhat confusing comment. I agree with Water that his Sundays let him down, but that has been the case with Hamilton & Vettel at the start of their careers. A strong qualy performance against Vettel will give him a confidence boost on Sundays IMO.

I doubt he will beat Vettel sure, but im not ruling him out, its easier to teach a driver with natural raw pace how to race at the front, than take a driver without natural pace and try get more out of him.

Dont rule out Dan just yet, he may surprise us. Vettel & Hamilton did.

martyF1

Post by martyF1 »

Get in!!

I mean it, get in that weapon of a car and show Seb how it's done. Very happy for you Dan

Deep_blue

Post by Deep_blue »

Good for Ricciardo, I expect epic quali battles between he and Vettel

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Good luck to him. He is going to need it. This is career making and breaking opportunity.

TheThirdTenor

Post by TheThirdTenor »

Horner - "we want the strongest drivers we can get."

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

He has raw speed.

You can learn racecraft

No question he is number two but it's still a great opportunity for him
Leave me alone.....I know what I'm doing

A2jdl

Post by A2jdl »

TheThirdTenor wrote:Horner - "we want the strongest drivers we can get."

And HM has said Vettel preferred to have him as a team mate ...wonder why :lol:

number27

Post by number27 »

mikeyg123 wrote:........... I believe better drivers were available.

This. I could understand RBR wanting to hire a young driver but to choose Ricciardo over Hulkenberg seems like the wrong decision to me. I really don't see Ricciardo as being able to present much of a challenge to Vettel but, as ever, time will tell.