Hips Don't Lie! Ricciardo's hips too wide for Red Bull seat?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

Hips Don't Lie! Ricciardo's hips too wide for Red Bull seat?

Post by UnlikeUday »

It's been reported in the below article that Ricciardo's hips are wide enough not to accommodate his body in the tight cockpit of Red Bull:-

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/462285/Ricciardos_hips_too_wide_for_2014_Red_Bull__report/

Surely they should come to a finer solution, otherwise how ironic it would be that he didn't get he seat because of his hips.
Feel The Fourth

Toby.

Re: Hips Don't Lie! Ricciardo's hips too wide for Red Bull s

Post by Toby. »

Child-bearing hips, hey?

Sounds a bit made up, if you ask me. Firstly I can't see Red Bull doing seat fittings when they've just said they haven't made a decision on the driver. If they got caught out they'd look even sillier than they do now.

Secondly: I can't imagine Red Bull are so into their 2014 design that something like this would be an issue.

Thirdly: Webber had a similar issue a couple of years ago in pre-season testing. He got into the car for his first run only to find out that the cockpit was too short for him.

So it wouldn't be a first.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

I'm sure RB could sort the issue with ease. I don't think this will be a sticking point for choosing a driver
Winter is Coming

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Newey doesn't like to compromise his cars for a driver anymore than he has to do so. This particular story may not be true but being taller etc. than Vettel may lead to Ricciardo getting as unreliable a car as Webber has had recently unfortunately.

As for the issue Brundle made a good point that perhaps Mark's size comes into play, he is taller/Heavier than Vettel and Newey is unwilling to compromise the aerodynamics of the car, as a result Marks KERS etc. is put somewhere on his car other than Vettel's hence the apparent issues with it. Would explain a lot.

Posted this in another thread a while ago. Brundle's point makes sense, and that spells trouble for Dan.
Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

I saw/heard this mentioned last week. Can't remember if it was on BBC or Joe Saward's blog or something. It's rumoured that it could be the real reason behind the hold-up.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

flyboy10

Post by flyboy10 »

So, just to be clear, does the fact that RBR haven't announced their driver line-up mean that they haven't decided on it? What would be their reasoning in making the decision and then keeping it a secret? I personally don't think Ricciardo has been signed yet and I'm really hoping he isn't because I think there are better drivers who would better in that car than he will - and i'd like to see one of them there.

Balibari
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Post by Balibari »

Ricciardo was at Milton Keynes earlier this week, the rumour is it was for a seat fitting. As they must have a caste of his butt already (obviously he drove the 2013 car in the YDT) I didn't pay much attention to the rumour. Would make more sense if this is true.

From looking at them I'd have guessed Kimi was wider than Ricciardo, but who knows.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

SwSpeed

Post by SwSpeed »

Ok, so what did he sit on during his "young driver test" this summer?

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:It's been reported in the below article that Ricciardo's hips are wide enough not to accommodate his body in the tight cockpit of Red Bull:-

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/462285/Ricciardos_hips_too_wide_for_2014_Red_Bull__report/

Surely they should come to a finer solution, otherwise how ironic it would be that he didn't get he seat because of his hips.

How did he do the YDT then?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Newey doesn't like to compromise his cars for a driver anymore than he has to do so. This particular story may not be true but being taller etc. than Vettel may lead to Ricciardo getting as unreliable a car as Webber has had recently unfortunately.

As for the issue Brundle made a good point that perhaps Mark's size comes into play, he is taller/Heavier than Vettel and Newey is unwilling to compromise the aerodynamics of the car, as a result Marks KERS etc. is put somewhere on his car other than Vettel's hence the apparent issues with it. Would explain a lot.

Posted this in another thread a while ago. Brundle's point makes sense, and that spells trouble for Dan.

Its a shame that even with the minimum weight F1 can be so sizeist
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

tmzxaar

Post by tmzxaar »

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:It's been reported in the below article that Ricciardo's hips are wide enough not to accommodate his body in the tight cockpit of Red Bull:-

He did it in a 2013 car
H&H

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

tmzxaar wrote:
pokerman wrote:

He did it in a 2013 car

Oh right

I guess the 2014 car was designed around Vettel and Webber?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

tmzxaar

Post by tmzxaar »

pokerman wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:
pokerman wrote:

He did it in a 2013 car

Oh right

Probably around Vettel. :lol:
H&H

Aussie Grit

Post by Aussie Grit »

tmzxaar wrote:
pokerman wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:
pokerman wrote:

He did it in a 2013 car

Oh right

:thumbup: now, now :D
Supporting Alonso, Ricciardo and Hulk.

Find it hard to resist responding to stupid posts.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Aussie Grit wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well it would be, why design it around Mark? He wont be using it and the design team wont know for sure who the other driver is yet so it wont be built around him.

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:Newey doesn't like to compromise his cars for a driver anymore than he has to do so. This particular story may not be true but being taller etc. than Vettel may lead to Ricciardo getting as unreliable a car as Webber has had recently unfortunately.

Weight isnt the main issue by the sound of it, the aerodynamics would need to be compromised. Does anyone know if there is a regulation that states the two cars from a team must be identical?

Rek

Post by Rek »

UnlikeUday wrote:It's been reported the below article that Ricciardo's hips are wide enough not to accommodate his body in the tight cockpit of Red Bull:-
]http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/462285/Ricciardos_hips_too_wide_for_2014_Red_Bull__report/[/url]

Please don't take this the wrong way, but where's the irony?
Surely if he had a fat pickle, that would've been ironic. Or if it were his hips that landed him the STR seat, that would be the most ironic situation. unfortunate, but not ironic. :twisted:

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

It doesnt matter, hes marketable! :rolleyes:

lbennie

Post by lbennie »

RacingFan1 wrote:It doesnt matter, hes marketable! :rolleyes:

And freaking quick, the perfect combo for them.

Rumour is a load of rubbish by the way.

Peter77

Post by Peter77 »

"Talented drivers adapt, the mediocre ones complain."

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

Balibari wrote:From looking at them I'd have guessed Kimi was wider than Ricciardo, but who knows.

the main issue with kimi would be to fit the freezers for ice-cream and vodka ;P

Peter77 wrote:LOL

Hips look normal to me

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d0Pw_xAN_kg/U ... ciardo.jpg

it's the mouth that screws the airflow to the rear wing ;)
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...

Balibari
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Post by Balibari »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Aussie Grit wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well it would be, why design it around Mark? He wont be using it and the design team wont know for sure who the other driver is yet so it wont be built around him.

pokerman wrote:

Weight isnt the main issue by the sound of it, the aerodynamics would need to be compromised. Does anyone know if there is a regulation that states the two cars from a team must be identical?

For some reason the livery of both cars have to be essentially the same but the aero and so on can vary. However they would be unlikely to alter the aero package if they need to make changes for Ricciardo. Between the bodywork and the driver there will be various bits and pieces, maybe just wiring looms and ducts, maybe more significant components, the 2014 layout will be very different to the current one. They will shuffle these about rather than alter the aero package. Fattening the bodywork around the cockpit would require the team to run two different wind tunnel programs etc. The current Red Bull already has differing approaches to the internal positioning of KERS batteries and related cooling due to Webber's height (perhaps why Webber has so many more failures than Vettel), so it wouldn't be too unusual.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

rvirax

Post by rvirax »

Toby. wrote:Child-bearing hips, hey?

Sounds a bit made up, if you ask me. Firstly I can't see Red Bull doing seat fittings when they've just said they haven't made a decision on the driver. If they got caught out they'd look even sillier than they do now.

Secondly: I can't imagine Red Bull are so into their 2014 design that something like this would be an issue.

Thirdly: Webber had a similar issue a couple of years ago in pre-season testing. He got into the car for his first run only to find out that the cockpit was too short for him.

So it wouldn't be a first.

Other than the article being a bit suspicious, this guy has got it spot on.
If they are doing a seat fitting than they have made up their choice of driver for next year, otherwise why do a seat fitting?
If this was a such a big problem then they would have been aware of it long before this supposed seat fitting when he did the YDT this year and in 2009. They also would have been aware of it during his years in Toro Rosso. His size should not have come as a surprise to them.

Juzzy82

Post by Juzzy82 »

Vettel is taller than Ricciardo.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Juzzy82 wrote:

Really? Thats good news for him then :-P I dont know why but I thought Ricciardo was taller, fair enough. Hopefully this story isnt true and we wont see so many mechanical faults with him then.

PrancingRocket_

Post by PrancingRocket_ »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

Really? Thats good news for him then :-P I dont know why but I thought Ricciardo was taller, fair enough. Hopefully this story isnt true and we wont see so many mechanical faults with him then.

Ricciardo is taller. Ricciardo is 1.8 m tall, Vettel is 1.76 m tall
# 14

“I have often gone on record as saying that I think Fernando is the very best driver of his generation, if not ever. He’s that good."
- Rob Smedley

Favourite Driver: Fernando Alonso

Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari

Fernando Alonso 2015 WDC

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

PrancingRocket_ wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

I thought Ricciardo was reasonably tall, Vettel's not exactly a giant of a man, but i guess not many F1 drivers are
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

pokerman wrote:
PrancingRocket_ wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

I thought Ricciardo was reasonably tall, Vettel's not exactly a giant of a man, but i guess not many F1 drivers are

Should have stuck with my gut feeling then, this is what I get for not looking it up and just going off what other people say :-P

mds

Post by mds »

PrancingRocket_ wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

Google tells me RIC's anywhere between 1.74 and 1.80 :)
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

PrancingRocket_

mds wrote:
PrancingRocket_ wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

Google tells me RIC's anywhere between 1.74 and 1.80 :)

oh, on Dan's official website it says he's 180 haha
# 14

“I have often gone on record as saying that I think Fernando is the very best driver of his generation, if not ever. He’s that good."
- Rob Smedley

Fernando Alonso 2015 WDC

mds

Post by mds »

I guess that would be the most trustworthy source :)

These drivers are ofcourse followed in online DB's etc from when they are relatively young, so they still grow. Maybe that's the cause for confusion.

PrancingRocket_

mds wrote:I guess that would be the most trustworthy source :)

These drivers are ofcourse followed in online DB's etc from when they are relatively young, so they still grow. Maybe that's the cause for confusion.

Haha i guess :-P

Yeah that's true :) :nod: espn mentions vettels weight to be 58kg. Like I highly doubt that, i mean Vettel would have to be atleast 65 kg. So the official driver websites should be the most accurate, they probably update the more frequently too.
# 14

- Rob Smedley

Fernando Alonso 2015 WDC

going_the_distance

Post by going_the_distance »

Dan is at least a lot lighter than Webber, 66kg v 76kg if you believe the net. Should be helpful v Vettel.

PrancingRocket_

going_the_distance wrote:Dan is at least a lot lighter than Webber, 66kg v 76kg if you believe the net. Should be helpful v Vettel.

Ricciardo is 70.5 kg

http://www.danielricciardo.com/about.php
# 14

- Rob Smedley

Fernando Alonso 2015 WDC

Juzzy82

Post by Juzzy82 »

Hard to tell which figures are right. Ricciardo certainly seems a bit taller and bigger boned than Vettel IRL.

These websites suggest they are pretty similar:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1 ... iardo.html

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... /1247.html

Rek

Post by Rek »

Sounds like this might be true. Either way Daniel Richardo's a really likeable guy

"It's not my pickle per se," the 24-year-old told the Telegraph.
"Even when I signed for Toro Rosso we had to do a few seat fits and they did some scans to make that particular part of the cockpit a bit wider, so that we're not sitting on the actual carbon fibre.

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Child bearing hips :D ;)
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

Formula1Fan.

Post by Formula1Fan. »

yeah it must have been Mark's size which prevented the team putting the wheels on his car properly at pit-stops and made them under-fuel his car... :uhoh:

Good luck to Dan, he's going to need it.
We want heroes, but there are few, mainly it's cars - Pedro De La Rosa

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Formula1Fan. wrote:yeah it must have been Mark's size which prevented the team putting the wheels on his car properly at pit-stops and made them under-fuel his car... :uhoh:

Well no obviously not, but unfortunately a wheel coming off in the pits isnt a rarity for any team these days & Red Bull have under-fuelled Seb as well. I suppose that weekend they were trying to favour Mark & for them to favour Mark with a team order in Malaysia.... those evil Red Bull people ;)

Juzzy82

Post by Juzzy82 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Formula1Fan. wrote:yeah it must have been Mark's size which prevented the team putting the wheels on his car properly at pit-stops and made them under-fuel his car... :uhoh:

Well no obviously not, but unfortunately a wheel coming off in the pits isnt a rarity for any team these days & Red Bull have under-fuelled Seb as well. I suppose that weekend they were trying to favour Mark & for them to favour Mark with a team order in Malaysia.... those evil Red Bull people ;)

When did RBR under-fuel Seb, and how did it effect his race?

It will be interesting to see if RBR come up with another way of separating their drivers. Maybe next year it will be the turbo? Actually, with a young hopeful in the second seat they'll probably just tell him to back off.

mds

Post by mds »

Juzzy82 wrote:When did RBR under-fuel Seb, and how did it effect his race?

Abu Dhabi 2012, and he didn't win? :)