Why arent Corners given names on the newer tracks?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Khazrak134

Why arent Corners given names on the newer tracks?

Post by Khazrak134 »

Its something ive been wondering for a while. On the older tracks like Spa, Monza, and Silverstone, all the corners have names. But on the more recent tracks the corners are just numbered out, minus the exception being the Singapore Sling, but that isnt really a determined name for the corner its just what some people call it or in India theres the Massa kerb, but thats not really a corner, its a kerb. Is it just that the tracks havent been on the calendar long enough for names to be given to them or is there some other reason?

Since the Austin track is called the Circuit of the Americas, i think it could be appropriate to name atleast a few of the corners after states in the USA, but thats just an idea ive come up with while writing this.

WiredKiwi

Re: Why arent Corners given names on the newer tracks?

Post by WiredKiwi »

We should name the corners ourselves, it would be fun to 'infect' other places on the internet with those names and see if any take off.
Tous Avec Jules #17

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Part of it is that the older tracks that were originally run on streets the corners are named after locations or features that were there. On older purpose built tracks they have had events or people that have become associated with certain corners which give them their names.

Tracks that don't have any named corners will need to have something happen or someone do something memorable to give them an associated name.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

RaggedMan wrote:Part of it is that the older tracks that were originally run on streets the corners are named after locations or features that were there. On older purpose built tracks they have had events or people that have become associated with certain corners which give them their names.

Tracks that don't have any named corners will need to have something happen or someone do something memorable to give them an associated name.

That is how it usually works, it takes time and history to happen.

But I like WiredKiwi's opinion, we should start it ourselves, before some sponsor buys the rights and we get to see "McDonald's McBend", or "Microsoft Crash Zone".

Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan »

My friends and I used to call the awesome turn at Istanbul 'The Roulette Corner'
R.I.P. Maria De Villota

CarlPotter

Post by CarlPotter »

One of the tracks should name all the corners after the legends of the sport. "Fangio Turn", "Schumacher bends", "Stewart Chicane" and "Mansell Corner" sound good to me.

cmberry20

Post by cmberry20 »

I thought it was mandatory on every single circuit to name part of the track 'The Senna S'

Heck, I sure there's one on the A Road on the way to Hereford where I live!!

WiredKiwi

Post by WiredKiwi »

CarlPotter wrote:One of the tracks should name all the corners after the legends of the sport. "Fangio Turn", "Schumacher bends", "Stewart Chicane" and "Mansell Corner" sound good to me.

Albert Park already does this, and another track too I believe, just can't quite remember it?
Tous Avec Jules #17

WiredKiwi

Post by WiredKiwi »

Singapore is getting there
" In March 2009, three of the circuit's corners were given names after a competition amongst local F1 fans to submit ideas. Turn 1 was named Sheares after Benjamin Henry Sheares, the second president of Singapore; Turn 7 was named Memorial due to its proximity to a Second World War civilian memorial; and Turn 10 was named Singapore Sling." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Bay_Street_Circuit
Tous Avec Jules #17

painless

Post by painless »

Given that it may take some time for names to evolve based on incidents at specific locations maybe we can start by using the physical characteristics of the area in question.
It's small, it's tight. It's Bernie Bend!!
And then quite honestly, it's early I haven't had a coffee and I've run out of inspiration

Ashberto

Post by Ashberto »

CarlPotter wrote:One of the tracks should name all the corners after the legends of the sport. "Fangio Turn", "Schumacher bends", "Stewart Chicane" and "Mansell Corner" sound good to me.

Brands Hatch has this : Brabham, Hawthorn, Graham Hill, Surtees.

I noticed the other week that one of the Esses at Snetterton has recently been renamed 'Brundle'.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

for America if you could find two corners that lead into one another then i think Omaha and Utah would be cool, named after the American landings on D-Day

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

Turkey turn 8. What a name for such a special corner.

Khazrak134

Post by Khazrak134 »

RacingFan1 wrote:Image

Turkey turn 8. What a name for such a special corner.

I almost want to say that turn 8 should remain as 'turn 8'. if you mention 'turn 8' to any F1 fan who has the slightest whisp of knowledge about F1 they will know what youre talking about.

Deathless Horsie

Post by Deathless Horsie »

I'm surprised they haven't started sponsorship of the corners in some tracks.
"And Alonso outbrakes Hamilton into the Birds Custard hairpin....."

minchy

Post by minchy »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:Part of it is that the older tracks that were originally run on streets the corners are named after locations or features that were there. On older purpose built tracks they have had events or people that have become associated with certain corners which give them their names.

But I like WiredKiwi's opinion, we should start it ourselves, before some sponsor buys the rights and we get to see "McDonald's McBend", or "Microsoft Crash Zone".

You can joke about that, but my local football (soccer) ground was originally called 'Bootham Crescent', as that is the street it is located on. They got a decent sponsor and it was renamed 'Kit Kat Crescent'! At least big grounds like 'The Emirates' actually sounds good!
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

FormulaFun wrote:for America if you could find two corners that lead into one another then i think Omaha and Utah would be cool, named after the American landings on D-Day

During the construction of COTA there was a push by HairyScotsman (I think) to call the back straight the Longhorn Straight.

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Circuit de Catalunya has names on the corners since it was built. (Company sponsor names basically)

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

RaggedMan wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:for America if you could find two corners that lead into one another then i think Omaha and Utah would be cool, named after the American landings on D-Day

During the construction of COTA there was a push by HairyScotsman (I think) to call the back straight the Longhorn Straight.

haha i like that as well, i think you could come up with really cool corner names for COTA, especially sector 1, if you got some more WW2 names you could start it with omaha and utah, then get some things from later in the war like bastogne and the bulge for the middle and then for the final corner of the section use a name from one of the final battles of the war, if you know what i mean. I think it'd be pretty cool.

Or you could go through different cuts of steak haha

Arai_or_Nothing

Post by Arai_or_Nothing »

minchy wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

You can joke about that, but my local football (soccer) ground was originally called 'Bootham Crescent', as that is the street it is located on. They got a decent sponsor and it was renamed 'Kit Kat Crescent'! At least big grounds like 'The Emirates' actually sounds good!

That's a fairly common practice as Sponsors pay to own the naming rights to many things. Here in South Florida the Dolphins stadium initially started as Joe Robbie Stadium because the man who owned the team at the time paid for it. Since then its name has been changed more than any of us have changed our underwear in our lives. LOL

WiredKiwi

Post by WiredKiwi »

Ok, so what was the most memorable thing about the race at CotA's last year? Let's get a name going, and spread it about a bit and see if we can't get it bedded in for the race.

Ooooh, new drinking game. Drink every time a commentator mentions a corner by name (of any track, not just the one the drivers are racing on) with a bonus/joker of triple imbibe if it's the PF1 forum name that's mentioned....
Tous Avec Jules #17

WiredKiwi

Post by WiredKiwi »

OK, how about we try for two names - Longhorn Straight (the back straight) and T18 to be called 'Tower' (it's where the big observation tower is...

Given the various nationalities competing in F1 I'm not sure that Normandy landing (or any allied ww names for that matter) are a terribly good idea?
Tous Avec Jules #17

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

nothing wrong with remembering heroes of the past

WiredKiwi

Post by WiredKiwi »

FormulaFun wrote:nothing wrong with remembering heroes of the past

If that's in response to me suggesting that war site names may not be appropriate, then I both agree and disagree. There's nothing wrong with remembering heroes in the appropriate manner. Many of the nations involved in F1 are former Axis nations, and naming corners after eg the Normandy landings would be like going to a race in Turkey and having a corner named 'Gallipoli', or in Japan having a corner named 'Pearl Harbour'.
Tous Avec Jules #17

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

The old road-type circuits had real, historical names which gave them such character. So did the earlier artificial circuits such as Silverstone, Monza and Kyalami. They gave thier corners names that related to ther geographical location, which Imo is best.
Driver's names can date and fall out of memory, and tend to be repeated in the case of stars like Fangio, Moss, Senna (as pointed out above), and turn numbers as introduced at Riverside in 1960 (I think) are practical for reporting, safety, timing,etc , but characterless.

Maybe driver-names are best for new circuits, but they must each only be used once. Be some bunfights though in selection. Suppose car/manufacturer names would not work...too much advertising that would have conflicts of interest as times change.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

WiredKiwi wrote:OK, how about we try for two names - Longhorn Straight (the back straight) and T18 to be called 'Tower' (it's where the big observation tower is...

Given the various nationalities competing in F1 I'm not sure that Normandy landing (or any allied ww names for that matter) are a terribly good idea?

I like the idea of calling that the Tower turn. That's how most corners got their names in the past, from some feature near them.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

While there is nothing wrong with remembering past heroes, we're talking about a race track here not the city square where monuments are usually placed.

The other problem with the idea of D-Day invasion landing sites and the other battles you mention is that they're very Eurocentric. Why should the corners at a track in Texas be named after places and events that happened thousands of miles away?

I'm American and my dad was from Texas, but I would say the same thing if we were talking about the track in Korea and someone suggesting naming the corners things like Appomattox or Gettysburg. It just wouldn't make sense.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

RaggedMan wrote:

While there is nothing wrong with remembering past heroes, we're talking about a race track here not the city square where monuments are usually placed.

The other problem with the idea of D-Day invasion landing sites and the other battles you mention is that they're very Eurocentric. Why should the corners at a track in Texas be named after places and events that happened thousands of miles away?

I'm American and my dad was from Texas, but I would say the same thing if we were talking about the track in Korea and someone suggesting naming the corners things like Appomattox or Gettysburg. It just wouldn't make sense.

the ones i suggested were American landings & victories btw

anyway i kinda see your point, i tried thinking about it from if i were german or whatever nationality and i wouldn't have a problem, but i guess everyones different

cm97

Post by cm97 »

I don't know what they will call the corners, something like bland bend 1, carpark 2, runoff paradise, down hill twist, bland 2, boring 3.
Corners need Charecteristics and land features, which are not present because everything around the circuit is destroyed to build the new circuits.
#Keep Fighting Michael