Toto Wolff comments on Merc Strategy

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
F1yer

Toto Wolff comments on Merc Strategy

Post by F1yer »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109242

"Mercedes motorsport chief Toto Wolff has warned his Formula 1 team not to jeopardise its longer-term chances with an all-out bid for the 2013 championship."

Looks like he wants to not give up 2014 in the slight hope of 2013 title.

Wonder what this says about the drivers and his confidence in their abilities to bring the title home even with the fastest car.

FWIW - I think Lewis can challenge for the title if Merc develop the car. What abt you guys?

TheThirdTenor

Re: Toto Wolff comments on Merc Strategy

Post by TheThirdTenor »

Lewis has a good chance of the title. Best to see how the playing field looks after the spa update.

painless

Post by painless »

What I read (and it was not an entire interview) seemed very negative in tone and might have been better left unsaid. It is obvious that with finite resources choices have to be made as to where best to direct them; you don't need to tell the world that for this year you've basically given up trying to improve. Of course I realise there may be a degree of sandbagging going on.
If what was reported was what was actually said it can hardly do much for the drivers' morale. "You can drive your nuts off, the guys back home are working on next year's car so don't expect too much help" I don't believe the Wolff crystal ball can predict what next year will bring in terms of each team's level of performance so you are kind of trading a known quantity for a lottery ticket.

Porsan

Post by Porsan »

He reminds me of Dr. Mario Theissen of BMW in 2008, saying that they would stop the development of that year's car (despite excellent results and being at one point leading the WDC with Kubica) in order to focus on the 2009 car. No need to recall how it finished.

Wrong decision IMO. Mercedes KNOW they are competitive right now, but they can only GUESS they will be coompetitive in 2014. Sure they are working hard on their new car and on their new engine, but they can't have any clue of how well they are doing in relationship to the other teams. With the new rules, there can always be one team that outsmarts all the others with an unexpected solution, just like Brawn did with the double diffuser in 2009. Mercedes shouldn't take his competitiveness in 2014 for granted.
I'm a racing driver. Always was, always will be.

spooky

Post by spooky »

Could just of been said to throw red bull off a little. Mind games and all that

garagetinkerer

Post by garagetinkerer »

I think Mercedes will throw more money/ resources at it if they need to. Heck, they've been invested in this for 3 years already and i don't think they'd shy away when they have a chance at it. I think it is a rather poor and obvious case of posturing to try and fool the other guys... i'd be surprised if RBR falls for it this year. Ferrari may already be concentrating on next years' car, as this one seemingly isn't going anywhere... so that leaves Lotus, and didn't they already shift focus to 2014? I think if i was at RBR i'd try to keep both cars going as of now, as this year is rather tight (thanks to first half where Mercedes were having tyre issues) between them... now that they don't have much issues, it would be foolish to be complacent. RBR so far hasn't struck me as a foolish team, but in F1, as in life, people do dumb things, somewhat inexplicably at times.
My Top 5 drivers of all times:
1) Prost/ Schumacher
3) Fangio
4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

I agree with all who say merc cannot have clue how thier 2014 car is going to perform in relation to the rival cars.

Such mis-readings by team principals/top management Imo led to Ferrari completely misjudging the reason for their 2004 domination, and using the 2004 car in 2005, thinking it was so superior. It proved so slow, as did the hasty replacement for 2005. The prime reason the 2004 Ferraris were so dominant was that chief rivals McLaren and Williams both slipped with their slow 2004 cars. They both redesigned and debuted revised, much faster models at race 10 but too late. I'll get slammed for saying all this, but as my March 2013 blogpost on Dominant Drivers pointed out, rivals are as much an influence on results as one's own driver/car abilities are.

Also agree that if any team has a chance at a title, better to take it NOW. Be interesting to find out if Wolff is sandbagging? Also cannot believe Merc would take a chance and not invest whenever; their NAME is in F1 now.

number_two

Post by number_two »

BMW all over again!

if you have a sniff at the title, you god damn try your best to take it!

number_two

Post by number_two »

Porsan wrote:He reminds me of Dr. Mario Theissen of BMW in 2008, saying that they would stop the development of that year's car (despite excellent results and being at one point leading the WDC with Kubica) in order to focus on the 2009 car. No need to recall how it finished.

Wrong decision IMO. Mercedes KNOW they are competitive right now, but they can only GUESS they will be coompetitive in 2014. Sure they are working hard on their new car and on their new engine, but they can't have any clue of how well they are doing in relationship to the other teams. With the new rules, there can always be one team that outsmarts all the others with an unexpected solution, just like Brawn did with the double diffuser in 2009. Mercedes shouldn't take his competitiveness in 2014 for granted.

funniest thing is, they got a grasp onto it from spa onwards, and BMW was quite competitive at end of season but they decided to quit F1 after 1 average year.

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

According to many pundits Merc have been planning their big 2014 assault since last year (even Hamilton said as much at the start of the season) - so I can understand his point of not wanting to change strategy now and pull development resource from next year's car, I don't suppose they even expected to be challenging at this point.

daytona81

Post by daytona81 »

Why bother racing if you're it going to race for a title when the chance is there. Idiot.

Irbis

Post by Irbis »

daytona81 wrote:Why bother racing if you're it going to race for a title when the chance is there. Idiot.

Maybe, just maybe because you don't run hundred million $ budget by headlessly pursuing fool's errands without a plan? :uhoh:

2014 is going to be much more important than today, as new engines make all cars instantly obsolete and most money invested this year is 'wasted'. Merc can pursue now and come as close as Alonso did in 2012, then lose 2014 by squandering funds they had marked for it, or they can try to go for surer thing. Red Bull have big buffer now, and outspending them to quickly negate it is simply not possible. Best case, it will go right to the end, and even this is unsure.

Yes, Theissen in 2008 was stupid, but even as Kubica's fan, I don't really think he had chance then. He would have needed colossal amount of luck and bad luck to 3 opponents to win it. Opposition was just too strong.

Rock Brocaine

Post by Rock Brocaine »

If Spa proves fruitful in terms of solid race pace, they should keep improving. I think it's better to get a WCC this year and average season next year. 2014 will be a gamble for everyone. Every team will be on the backfoot and it's only the first year of a major rules change and there will be years of improvements to come and catch up on. I don't think it will stifle their development that much is they take their shot this year.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Given that Merc pretty much have infinity moneys, I think they can split time and resources between this and next year's cars without jeopardising either project.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

First off, let's look at the timeline. At the end of Sept in 2012 Hamilton announced he had changed teams, to Mercedes. Many, including myself speculate he was coaxed by the promise that Mercedes would have a winning car in 2014. In January of 2013 Toto Wolff moves into his position at Mercedes, and by then the 2013 car is fixed in design.

The team does better than expected, and half-way through the season it's a legitimate contender.

If the 2013 car wins any titles, would Wolff be able to claim any credit? Nope.

If the 2014 car wins any titles, would Wolff be able to claim any credit. You bet.

Bentrovato

Post by Bentrovato »

Merc don't have a shot at the title. They've put out a few good races but nowhere near enough to gain 50 points on Vettel within half a season. Insanity at best.

daytona81

Post by daytona81 »

Irbis wrote:
daytona81 wrote:Why bother racing if you're it going to race for a title when the chance is there. Idiot.

Maybe, just maybe because you don't run hundred million $ budget by headlessly pursuing fool's errands without a plan? :uhoh:

2014 is going to be much more important than today, as new engines make all cars instantly obsolete and most money invested this year is 'wasted'. Merc can pursue now and come as close as Alonso did in 2012, then lose 2014 by squandering funds they had marked for it, or they can try to go for surer thing. Red Bull have big buffer now, and outspending them to quickly negate it is simply not possible. Best case, it will go right to the end, and even this is unsure.

Yes, Theissen in 2008 was stupid, but even as Kubica's fan, I don't really think he had chance then. He would have needed colossal amount of luck and bad luck to 3 opponents to win it. Opposition was just too strong.

Championship point means more money as well though. Just sayin.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

daytona81 wrote:
Irbis wrote:

Mercedes don't need the money right now. They have what is probably the biggest budget in the sport at the moment.

But don't let us get in the way of your armchair expert views. I'm sure you know more about Motorsport operations than one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world...
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Pimpwerx

Post by Pimpwerx »

I hate to say it, but he's completely right. 2014 doesn't bring new regulations just for that year, but going forward. Whoever gets out ahead, has a chance to enjoy that advantage or a the first couple of years, before everyone else catches up. They are significantly far behind in both championships that they might want to stick to whatever contingency plan they'd drawn up regarding the 2014 car development. Apply the knowledge gained from this car, and use it to test some new concepts for next season. If the title draws close over the next couple of races, then new decisions can be made. However, they've proven they can make a fast car for a couple years now. They've hinted that they can keep that pace over a race distance. Now they can try to get the new generation of cars off with a bang by focusing development in that direction.

This could also be a bit of cat and mouse to give Red Bull something to think about. I'm sure Newey is already hard at work on next year's car anyway. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Post by Pimpwerx »

Bentrovato wrote:Merc don't have a shot at the title. They've put out a few good races but nowhere near enough to gain 50 points on Vettel within half a season. Insanity at best.

Win 7 of the last 9 races, and he will more than likely win it. That said, that is a very tall order. PEACE.

andrewinwork

Post by andrewinwork »

Throughout the year Merc have tried to hide their pace and potential; how many times have we heard them say that they've no chance in this or that race and that the tyres are still a mystery. One thing we can be 100% sure of Mr Brawn does not walk away from potential titles. If he thinks there's a chance he can win, he'll go for it. Good results or bad at Spa and Monza will decide things either way

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:First off, let's look at the timeline. At the end of Sept in 2012 Hamilton announced he had changed teams, to Mercedes. Many, including myself speculate he was coaxed by the promise that Mercedes would have a winning car in 2014. In January of 2013 Toto Wolff moves into his position at Mercedes, and by then the 2013 car is fixed in design.

The team does better than expected, and half-way through the season it's a legitimate contender.

If the 2013 car wins any titles, would Wolff be able to claim any credit? Nope.

If the 2014 car wins any titles, would Wolff be able to claim any credit. You bet.

Interesting train of thought
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 96 (1st)
Pole Positions: 99 (1st)
Podiums: 166 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Qiwater

Post by Qiwater »

I think Mr Wolff is just letting all concerned know that he is still very important to the proceedings ,
😜
At the start of the season Merc said they had already started on the 2014 car and
Would gradually switch the workforce as this year progressed . Not sure why he needed to
make this statement publicly, unless he's being ignored backstage amidst the excitement of
the unexpected success of this years team.
This was the statement made at the start of the season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107035

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

During the time Hamilton signed to Mercedes, all the signs pointed to Mercedes putting on a big push to dominate 2014. The team was underperforming, and the Mercedes board of governers decided to make changes and step up the game. These guys have a long range big plan, and it does make sense. These new energy recovery systems can be transferred toward production car technology (or vice versa) and to have a winning car would be a real nice point in any sales pitch. IMO, it makes a lot of sense to have a stellar car and/or powerplant for the 2014 season and forward.

That is the big picture, that is the corporate goal.

2013 has been a pleasant surprise, but it should never get in the way of the big plan. As previously posted, a lot of technology from 2013 can be transferred to the 2014 car, and upgrades that serve this dual purpose will be implemented.

daytona81

Post by daytona81 »

Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Irbis wrote:

Mercedes don't need the money right now. They have what is probably the biggest budget in the sport at the moment.

But don't let us get in the way of your armchair expert views. I'm sure you know more about Motorsport operations than one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world...

Youre STILL dwellng in that? HAHA. You're a very bitter person, aren't you? Have a fun life with that.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

daytona81 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Irbis wrote:

Youre STILL dwellng in that? HAHA. You're a very bitter person, aren't you? Have a fun life with that.

Whatever twinkle toes.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

daytona81 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:Championship point means more money as well though. Just sayin.

She makes a good point though, Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, Mclaren(?) Dont have money issues, not sure on Mclaren but the other 3 really dont need the prize money. Mercedes want success, Red Bull want success, Ferrari want success.

Success = Sales, and increased sales for companies as big as those outweighs the prize money gap between 1st & 2nd by a big margin.

daytona81

Post by daytona81 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:Championship point means more money as well though. Just sayin.

She makes a good point though, Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, Mclaren(?) Dont have money issues, not sure on Mclaren but the other 3 really dont need the prize money. Mercedes want success, Red Bull want success, Ferrari want success.

Success = Sales, and increased sales for companies as big as those outweighs the prize money gap between 1st & 2nd by a big margin.

But think of it this way, if they want success and dont need the money, wouldnt you just focus on developing this car AND go for the success while putting the same money and effort you would otherwise in to new car? if money is not an issue then going for both should be doable. They would just focus on both as much as they needed to to get the job done.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

daytona81 wrote:But think of it this way, if they want success and dont need the money, wouldnt you just focus on developing this car AND go for the success while putting the same money and effort you would otherwise in to new car? if money is not an issue then going for both should be doable. They would just focus on both as much as they needed to to get the job done.

The money isnt as big of an issue as the man power, one design team cannot develop both cars effectively. Focus is needed but as has been said by others on this thread a lot of updates will be useful in both this year and next, and the team will already have stuff in the pipeline for the next few races.

After that the priorities of all teams is likely to switch. Its not just Mercedes, all the teams will be having a look at next year currently, after the big updates are put on the cars sometime around the beginning of the flyaways, all of the teams focus will switch to next year.

Of course it would be ideal to win both this year and next and Mercedes will be aiming for that above all else. But if you get it right this year you get one trophy. Get it right next year and your looking at multiple trophies as the cars will continue to evolve year on year. If you start on the back foot you will be playing catch up to the others whilst they continue to pull away.

Of course it doesn't always work, look at BMW in 2008/2009, they gave up early and it didnt get them very far. On the other hand you have Honda (Brawn) and Red Bull which also shifted focus early, they are the only two teams to have won since then.

Its being taken for granted that Mercedes could win this year, sure they probably have the best looking car right now, but how long will that last? IMO it could all change at Spa. If Red Bull can just stay close to Mercedes, Seb has a big points buffer to Hamilton, and Red Bull have a big lead over Mercedes. It wont be easy to win even if they do remain focused on this year.

daytona81

Post by daytona81 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:But think of it this way, if they want success and dont need the money, wouldnt you just focus on developing this car AND go for the success while putting the same money and effort you would otherwise in to new car? if money is not an issue then going for both should be doable. They would just focus on both as much as they needed to to get the job done.

The money isnt as big of an issue as the man power, one design team cannot develop both cars effectively. Focus is needed but as has been said by others on this thread a lot of updates will be useful in both this year and next, and the team will already have stuff in the pipeline for the next few races.

After that the priorities of all teams is likely to switch. Its not just Mercedes, all the teams will be having a look at next year currently, after the big updates are put on the cars sometime around the beginning of the flyaways, all of the teams focus will switch to next year.

Of course it would be ideal to win both this year and next and Mercedes will be aiming for that above all else. But if you get it right this year you get one trophy. Get it right next year and your looking at multiple trophies as the cars will continue to evolve year on year. If you start on the back foot you will be playing catch up to the others whilst they continue to pull away.

Of course it doesn't always work, look at BMW in 2008/2009, they gave up early and it didnt get them very far. On the other hand you have Honda (Brawn) and Red Bull which also shifted focus early, they are the only two teams to have won since then.

Its being taken for granted that Mercedes could win this year, sure they probably have the best looking car right now, but how long will that last? IMO it could all change at Spa. If Red Bull can just stay close to Mercedes, Seb has a big points buffer to Hamilton, and Red Bull have a big lead over Mercedes. It wont be easy to win even if they do remain focused on this year.

I definitely understand that. And obviously teams start switching over to the next year. It just sounds like they plan on stopping development all together this year. I hope they give it couple more races just to see how consistent they can be. Hamilton has mentioned on numerous occasions that the remaining tracks are very good for him, that is historically true too. Id just like to see Mercedes challenge RBR.....Someone put up an actual challenge to them. lol. They're kickin donkey.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

They may still challenge even with less development, but I wouldnt be so sure Mercedes can beat Red Bull.
These tracks suit Hamilton, granted.
But do they suit Mercedes? They have been known to go backwards in the second half of the season.

These tracks also suit Vettel, in fact the tracks Vettel usually struggles at have all gone now.
We know they suit Red Bull because they always pick up momentum in the second half of the season.

Mercedes need to hope they can pick up points on Red Bull at the next 2 races. If they are still around 30-40 points behind heading into the flyaways its game over IMO and they may as well focus on next year.

rwgordon

Post by rwgordon »

I think it's too late for Hamilton this year, it'll be RBR and Vettel in 2013. Not to say it'll be easy, but Hamilton's head isn't in the game this year. Let's not get carried away, he's won one race.