How has your F1 devotion evolved over the years?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Amon

How has your F1 devotion evolved over the years?

Post by Amon »

I have a few questions.
At what time (age and period) you started to watch F1?
How devoted where you and how has it evolved uptil now?
Are their things you are really missing from the past?

As for myself I started watching F1 when I was 10-11 years old in the late eighties. I would watch qualification and the race whenever I was able to, that meant I could not always watch the non-European races live because of time difference. With no internet there yet and we had no newspaper I often had to rely on taping qualy to write down the grid positions before rae started. I always did that before the race started as well a paper of the current standings. When the race was over I started to add the points. This was a thing I did religiously during the 1990-1993 seasons. also somewhere in 1992 I bought an F1 magazine that was published after every 2 races and kept me up to date from all the latest news in F1 (comparable to nowadays internet sites). I stopped buying it early 1994 after Senna's death. I wasn't a Senna supporter from the first hour but his actions both on and off track won me over and by the end of 1993 for me he was the best ever. Ever since Senna's death my interest in F1 has changed. I kept watching the races and recent years I am enjoying the racing and races again something I haven't been doing since 1993. Qualy is a different beast however, I actually skip it more than I would watch it. This phenomenon has been there ever since they started messing with the format even earlier than the 1 lap Banzai qualy. Unnecessary to say I really don't like the current format but there is lots of other things I do not like in F1 such as the grid penalties, the obligatory use of both tyre compounds, the inconsistency in giving and fairness in penalties, the overuse of safety car and drivers giving pretty standard answers when being interviewed or giving an opinion. Even cool Kimi lacks the charisma of my first time heroes such as Senna, Prost, Mansell, Piquet etc. But that's of course my opinion.

Hope to hear from you all, how nostalgic or unnostalgic you are :smug:
F1 fan since 1989

POBRatings

Re: How has your F1 devotion evolved over the years?

Post by POBRatings »

I started my interest through playing with Dinky Toy GP cars at age ten and a 1954 Castrol yearbook that my father gave me, with a picture of a South American driver on the cover......can't remember who it was, driving a streamlined Mercedes to win at Reims.

Since then reading magazines and books, continuing to collect 1:43 scale toys/models have increased my enjoyment. The more I learn , the more I enjoy F1.
Last edited by POBRatings on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vivi

Post by Vivi »

I'm 19 and have only been into F1 properly since 09, I live in Brackley so when Brawn were winning pretty much the whole town knew and I finally started paying attention. Before then I was never really too interested but my family have been big fans since I can remember so I had generally known what was going on for most of my life. I feel so inexperienced hahaha.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I started watching in 1995 but I really was old enough to focus on it in about 1997. My uncle bought me the official season review for Christmas and I must have watched it 100s of times. My enthusiasm waned slightly through 2004 -2006 but picked up again during 2007 and by 2008 I was more fanatical than ever and that has pretty much stayed since then.

mds

Post by mds »

Started watching F1... don't know when exactly. I watched with my father from very young age, 4-5 years which would have been 1986-1987. My dad always told me that at that age I could name most of the driver pairings.
I still have some F1 magazines from a few years later. They were a larger size than normal magazines and not as thick, and came after (or before?) each GP. They also contained very nice top-shots from F1 cars as a poster in the middle. I remember drawing most of them over. I vividly remember drawing Capelli's blue March 881 - what a beautiful car I thought that was. I think I still have these drawings somewhere in some old and forgotten boxes in my attic - I should try and find them some day and scan them :)

I have had some dips. Most notably after Senna's death. I was devastated and missed out on about half a season before I started watching again.
The second dip was during Schumachers Ferrari reign. I still watched most of the races but not very fanatically. I never liked Schumacher, at least not in his first period in F1, and I always rooted for the guy to stand up to him. First Hill, then Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Raikkonen. It stopped with Alonso though, who I also didn't like too much.

The past few years I have been more and more into F1, on a different level. I try to get as much insight in the races and what happens outside of the actual racing. I'm putting together some excel sheets to deduct useful information from. I'm also trying to learn more and more about past periods. This has allowed me to change some early opinions I had about F1, drivers, regulations, etc.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

ForTheLoveOfRacing

Post by ForTheLoveOfRacing »

From armchair supporter to annual race attendee

LukeMallory

Post by LukeMallory »

Grew up supporting Jordan - like a true Irishman. Then BMW and Kubica...but since they're not in it anymore, I don't really support anyone. I watch all the races (if I can) but I'm not so concerned by qualifying etc. Since I don't support anyone, I'm don't get very worked up...which is probably a good thing :D

ob1kenobi.23

Post by ob1kenobi.23 »

Been following F1 since it started in 1950 when I was 7.
The reason for this is that my father & grandfather were both motor sport fans as they worked in the motor trade.
I attended my first races in the late 40s as they took me every where with them.
I was in the Phoenix Park in 1949 when Harry Lindsay did the first 100 mph lap on 1000 cc Vincent.
I became a huge Fangio fan because my father was a fan of his.
Although we could not afford the car & the bike magazine,s I used to get them as hand me downs from my fathers boss.
I would read them from cover to cover & the GP reports over & over.
I also did the same with the bike magazines.
It seemed back then the reporters were more lyrical as they tried to convey the excitement of the race. Striving for superlatives to try & explain a driver or a rider's performance.
I was hooked & have been ever since.
Times never change. I remember my granddad scathingly telling us that these modern drivers( the 50s) were all softies with their crash helmets & hydraulic brakes & their modern cars & that the boys in the early 1900s were real heroes But my dad would say the men in the 30s were the real heroes as they drove some of the most evil GP cars ever.
My interest has never waned & I follow it as ardently today as I did when I was kid.
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

What a source of knowledge you must be, Obi1. Tell me, were you ever in attendance to that nameless South American driver POB mentions?

Vivi

Post by Vivi »

Never has a username been more fitting.

Bantamzen

Post by Bantamzen »

I used to watch it regulary during the late '80s & into the '90s but my interest fell away somewhat until about 2003-2004 when I started to watch it again with my late step-dad. Now I'm fully back into the sport, and I am hoping to book a race or two in Europe next year, funds permitting of course. And if I score the Euro-millions on Friday, I will be off to them all this year!! ;)

ob1kenobi.23

Post by ob1kenobi.23 »

Toby. wrote:What a source of knowledge you must be, Obi1. Tell me, were you ever in attendance to that nameless South American driver POB mentions?
Hi Toby, I only ever saw that nameless driver driving once. It was the RAC Tourist Trophy at Dundrod in 1955 & he was driving the 300 SLR & not an F1 car.
It was a sad day as 3 drivers died that day.
I once sat in the W 196 he won the championship in & to this day the W 196 streamliner is my favourite F1 car.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/trage ... ulster-t-t
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali