pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:35 pm
Mort Canard wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:26 am
pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:23 pm
Mort Canard wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:39 am
Well Freddy seems to have locked himself into the 500 with a grid spot of 26th out of 33 drivers. Once again covering himself in glory. :blush:
It's as much as anything a race of attrition though.
Am not saying that Fernando could not somehow sneak in and win the race with a daring fuel or pit strategy. I am pretty sure that he won't spend a lot of time at the front of the pack next Sunday.
Indeed his lack of speed will be a bit of a hindrance, now why couldn't he have got his hands on one of those GP2 engines? :)
He did, and was very close to winning with 21 laps to go, but his Honda engine blew. What a surprise, eh?!
Yes when he worked for Honda but that didn't answer my question.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman

Re: The Official Fernando Alonso thread

Post by pokerman »

tootsie323 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:22 pm
It seems to be pretty much accepted that the Honda-powered teams have an advantage over the Chevy-powered teams. I think that several of us are also aware that Alonso has some form for punching above his weight in races. Next weekend could be interesting.
Yeah I'm sure he will do better in the race in spite of the self handicap.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:52 pm
pokerman wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:23 pm

It's as much as anything a race of attrition though.
Am not saying that Fernando could not somehow sneak in and win the race with a daring fuel or pit strategy. I am pretty sure that he won't spend a lot of time at the front of the pack next Sunday.
Indeed his lack of speed will be a bit of a hindrance, now why couldn't he have got his hands on one of those GP2 engines? :)
He did, and was very close to winning with 21 laps to go, but his Honda engine blew. What a surprise, eh?!
Yeah, it's a shame Honda decide to hold a grudge over one of the greatest drivers of our generation to save face on their embarrassing F1 return.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Invade

Post by Invade »

I can only hope Renault nail the new regs and that Alonso has still got it, because I don't think 2 WDCs does justice to his level of talent and ability.

A third WDC would be an extremely popular triumph, and I hope it happens against a game Hamilton, a game Verstappen, a game Ricciardo with a Merc engine, a game Leclerc in a Ferrari hail mary, even a game and rejuvenated Vettel in an Aston Martin.

I hope it happens.

And if all of that happens we'd also have an exceptionally strong grid with such legends in competitive machinery and many young guns who will have matured by this stage into much more complete racers: Norris and Russell, for example.

Yeah - I'm looking ahead quite far, but there's plenty of reason to be optimistic and excited for 2022. Shame it isn't coming in 2021.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:56 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:52 pm
pokerman wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

Yeah, it's a shame Honda decide to hold a grudge over one of the greatest drivers of our generation to save face on their embarrassing F1 return.
The bottom line though is that it closed another door for Alonso and has made it much harder for him to be sucessful.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Invade wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:02 pm
I can only hope Renault nail the new regs and that Alonso has still got it, because I don't think 2 WDCs does justice to his level of talent and ability.

A third WDC would be an extremely popular triumph, and I hope it happens against a game Hamilton, a game Verstappen, a game Ricciardo with a Merc engine, a game Leclerc in a Ferrari hail mary, even a game and rejuvenated Vettel in an Aston Martin.

I hope it happens.

And if all of that happens we'd also have an exceptionally strong grid with such legends in competitive machinery and many young guns who will have matured by this stage into much more complete racers: Norris and Russell, for example.

Yeah - I'm looking ahead quite far, but there's plenty of reason to be optimistic and excited for 2022. Shame it isn't coming in 2021.
I agree Alonso with 4xWDC's and Vettel with 2xWDC's seems a better fit.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Apparently Alonso had a test with Renault the other day. Didn't spot this in any threads, just wanted to share!

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Apparently Alonso had a test with Renault the other day. Didn't spot this in any threads, just wanted to share!
I think it's on the F1 site, onboard and all, Alonso said that he still needs to get back up to speed.
Last edited by pokerman on Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

I've said this before, but Fernando is going to bury this Ocon kid and ruin him like he did to Van Doorne. I hope Ocon has the mental toughness to cope with what is coming his way. When you see the way Alonso is already courting the top brass at Renault and showing how committed he really is to the 2021-2022 F1 project, it makes a big mental impression on the team bosses and the top dogs of the industry. Very similar to how Charles Leclerc came in and started courting Ferrari's top men. Speaking fluent Italian no doubt helped too and helped him immerse himself in the Ferrari culture pretty much immediately.

All Vettel could do in response was say "Grazie regazi" and "tutta bella".
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Schermerhorn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:49 pm
I've said this before, but Fernando is going to bury this Ocon kid and ruin him like he did to Van Doorne. I hope Ocon has the mental toughness to cope with what is coming his way. When you see the way Alonso is already courting the top brass at Renault and showing how committed he really is to the 2021-2022 F1 project, it makes a big mental impression on the team bosses and the top dogs of the industry. Very similar to how Charles Leclerc came in and started courting Ferrari's top men. Speaking fluent Italian no doubt helped too and helped him immerse himself in the Ferrari culture pretty much immediately.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but Ocon is already presently getting buried by Ricciardo, as for Vettel I thought he did speak Italian?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

pokerman wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:10 pm
Schermerhorn wrote:

I'm not sure if you've noticed but Ocon is already presently getting buried by Ricciardo, as for Vettel I thought he did speak Italian?
Vettel speaks English, French and Italian apart from German. I think Schemerhorn has an inherent dislike for anything Ferrari and Vettel!

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

pokerman wrote:
Schermerhorn wrote:

Ricciardo had momentum, and Ocon had a year on the side lines. Alonso is coming off a two year hiatus and Ocon is already well established in the team but seemingly struggling. If Alonso hasn't lost any racecraft, then he could serious disrupt Ocon's momentum and possibly nail him like Vettel has been nailed this year.

Vettel doesn't speak fluent Italian like Charles does. It's basic conversation Italian from what I've seen of it.
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

Siao7 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:12 pm
pokerman wrote:
Schermerhorn wrote:

Vettel speaks English, French and Italian apart from German. I think Schemerhorn has an inherent dislike for anything Ferrari and Vettel!
Actually, I'm a very very big Vettel fan. It's him I am rooting for the most and at one point I genuinely thought he would go on to be the GOAT.

I'm just disappointed in the way he has been mentally buried this year and has been unable to overcome it. I thought he had more reserves than that....unless he is just a victim of Ferrari politics and getting the short stick from management and it's affected him badly.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Schermerhorn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:16 pm
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Schermerhorn wrote:

Actually, I'm a very very big Vettel fan. It's him I am rooting for the most and at one point I genuinely thought he would go on to be the GOAT.

I'm just disappointed in the way he has been mentally buried this year and has been unable to overcome it. I thought he had more reserves than that....unless he is just a victim of Ferrari politics and getting the short stick from management and it's affected him badly.
My apologies then, the message above came across as a soft dig at Vettel.

You are right and I believe it is a mix of what you said, a bit of politics and a bit of disappointment from him. But it started before 2020, the mental bit I mean, with that mistake in Germany.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

If Alonso beats Ocon anything like as well as Ricciardo is beating him then that's a massive win for Alonso all things considered.
Last edited by mikeyg123 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:12 pm
If Ocon beats Alonso anything like as well as Ricciardo is beating him then that's a massive win for Alonso all things considered.
I assume swap Ocon and Alonso in the first four words?

If so, then I agree that it's going to be a tough act for Alonso to follow. I've been quite surprised by the level of the margin between Ricciardo and Ocon this season, and I wonder if there's anything affecting it beyond pure pace. Because if it is pure pace, it definitely runs counter to what you'd expect from the prior comparisons of the drivers involved.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Exediron wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:30 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
If Ocon beats Alonso anything like as well as Ricciardo is beating him then that's a massive win for Alonso all things considered.

If so, then I agree that it's going to be a tough act for Alonso to follow. I've been quite surprised by the level of the margin between Ricciardo and Ocon this season, and I wonder if there's anything affecting it beyond pure pace. Because if it is pure pace, it definitely runs counter to what you'd expect from the prior comparisons of the drivers involved.
Woops!

I think you'd expect Ricciardo to win the pairing well but I'd have thought Ocon would be a little closer.

That being said Ricciardo has all the cards stacked in his favor where as Alonso will have them against him.

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

Siao7 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:31 pm
Schermerhorn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:16 pm
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Schermerhorn wrote:

My apologies then, the message above came across as a soft dig at Vettel.

You are right and I believe it is a mix of what you said, a bit of politics and a bit of disappointment from him. But it started before 2020, the mental bit I mean, with that mistake in Germany.
I think so but I also believe something else has gone on behind the scenes.

In a recent interview he said "i shouldn't have picked certain fights....and I dont mean ones on the track"....

My guess is he fell out with someone senior and it has snowballed into the situation now. They wanted him out and they wanted him to know that he is persona non grata as well. That has got to be mentally taxing.

Of course his own mistskes don't help but let's also not forget Ferrari's comical errors in terms of strategy and mismanagement as well.

I suspect a few more years of this and young Charlie will get fed up too.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Exediron wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:30 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:

It looks like Ocon is marginally improving over the past few races, but the gap is still much larger than I anticipated, which really shines a light on how good I think Ricciardo could be. I think the gap will continue to close between the pair, but still anticipate Ocon won't get as close to Ricciardo as Hulk di.

There's also talk of Gasly signing for Renault I think, which I wouldn't be surprised of given the perceived tensions in the team.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
If Alonso beats Ocon anything like as well as Ricciardo is beating him then that's a massive win for Alonso all things considered.
I wouldn't disagree, it's just that the poster didn't seem to realise that Ocon is already getting buried at Renault.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

pokerman wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:57 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
I wouldn't disagree, it's just that the poster didn't seem to realise that Ocon is already getting buried at Renault.
Daniel Ricciardo has him on life support. Alonso will pull the plug.