The Official Sir Lewis Hamilton thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Invade

Re: The Official Lewis Hamilton thread

Post by Invade »

Wouldn't mind seeing a 1-year sabbatical to see Bottas vs Verstappen, which might actually provide suspense. ;)

(PS, and then maybe Hulk can get a podium. Or 10+ of them)

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

I feel like Hamilton doesn't take much joy in the record-breaking aspect of his illustrious career. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a sabbatical and returned in 2022 to refocus. There's plenty of opportunities - join Rosberg in that new motorsports series? - out there for a year out.

That, said, I am skeptical. I think, if he really wants to take a year out, he probably should be making that decision sooner, and I don't know how Mercedes would feel if they were left without a star driver next season. I am surprised therefore, that Mercedes haven't put a deadline for Lewis to sign.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Schumacher forever#1

Invade wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:40 pm
Wouldn't mind seeing a 1-year sabbatical to see Bottas vs Verstappen, which might actually provide suspense. ;)

(PS, and then maybe Hulk can get a podium. Or 10+ of them)
Nevermind VER vs BOT, I want to see BOT vs HULK vs VER!

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:32 pm
I feel like Hamilton doesn't take much joy in the record-breaking aspect of his illustrious career. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a sabbatical and returned in 2022 to refocus. There's plenty of opportunities - join Rosberg in that new motorsports series? - out there for a year out.

That, said, I am skeptical. I think, if he really wants to take a year out, he probably should be making that decision sooner, and I don't know how Mercedes would feel if they were left without a star driver next season. I am surprised therefore, that Mercedes haven't put a deadline for Lewis to sign.
Hamilton is already involved in extreme e, was announced he had a team a while ago.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Like Michael, if Lewis takes a year out, he will likely never get another ride capable of championships and maybe even winning.

Lewis does have experience in winning in an inferior car but that has been a loooooooonnng time ago. Certainly he does have the talent to carry an inferior car, but after some time off those talents can get a bit rusty.
Mission WinLater

Schumacher forever#1

JN23 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Hamilton is already involved in extreme e, was announced he had a team a while ago.
Oh my bad, thought that was just speculation.
Mort Canard wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:44 pm

Like Michael, if Lewis takes a year out, he will likely never get another ride capable of championships and maybe even winning.

Lewis does have experience in winning in an inferior car but that has been a loooooooonnng time ago. Certainly he does have the talent to carry an inferior car, but after some time off those talents can get a bit rusty.

I think he'll actually easily get back into the Mercedes team. Merc would likely hire Russell in replacement, and then bring back Hamilton instead of Bottas for 2022.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:46 pm
JN23 wrote:

Mort Canard wrote:

I think he'll actually easily get back into the Mercedes team. Merc would likely hire Russell in replacement, and then bring back Hamilton instead of Bottas for 2022.
If so, 2021 could be a rough year for Mercedes.
Mission WinLater

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:46 pm
JN23 wrote:

Mort Canard wrote:

If so, 2021 could be a rough year for Mercedes. Valtteri has finished 3rd, 5th, & 2nd in the first three years of his time with Merc. He is on track to finish 2nd this year.

Absent Lewis I would not say Valtteri would be a lead pipe cinch to win the 2021 WDC.
Mission WinLater

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Mort Canard wrote:

I think he'd get back in at Merc if he wanted in. They would hire Russell for 2022. If Hamilton wanted back then they would replace Bottas with him as his contract is up at the end of 2021.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Hamilton's "I don't even know if I'm going to be here next year" is the most blow out of proportion because it makes a clickbait headline quote I have ever seen by F1 journalists, and that's saying a lot. He said he while simultaneously laughing - basically referencing the fact he still hasn't signed a contract so technically isn't guaranteed to be on the grid.

Of course, anything can happen, but the quote definitely doesn't suggest he is actually thinking of quitting or taking a sabbatical.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:19 am
Hamilton's "I don't even know if I'm going to be here next year" is the most blow out of proportion because it makes a clickbait headline quote I have ever seen by F1 journalists, and that's saying a lot. He said he while simultaneously laughing - basically referencing the fact he still hasn't signed a contract so technically isn't guaranteed to be on the grid.

Of course, anything can happen, but the quote definitely doesn't suggest he is actually thinking of quitting or taking a sabbatical.
Many a true word said in jest.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Lewis Hamilton: Would he really quit F1's most successful team?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54773618

A rather interesting and insightful article. I think what Andrew Shovlin says is particularly interesting and speaks to Hamilton's value in being able to be a leader for a team.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Ya think that Lewis is scared of this new guy "Freddy" that is set to drive for Team Renault next year? I have heard that they do have some history between them and that they don't seem to get on very well. :lol:
Mission WinLater

jeffw

Post by jeffw »

Can't see him not returning to get #8 in the current fastest car on the grid. Now 2022, that might be a different story.

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

Woohoo! World title number SEVEN!

greatest of all time!
Pathfinder

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

A quite remarkable achievement and he has power to add l

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Now the title has been achieved, sign the contract. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Just looking back when he signed the contract with Merc in 2012 and so many people giving him stick even here many saying "he'll never win another race" "his career is over"

Now he is statistically the greatest driver of all time... Just goes to show armchair critics don't always know best

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

FormulaFun wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:10 pm
Just looking back when he signed the contract with Merc in 2012 and so many people giving him stick even here many saying "he'll never win another race" "his career is over"

Now he is statistically the greatest driver of all time... Just goes to show armchair critics don't always know best
I was so disappointed at least he was winning races if not titles, it's only in hindsight you realise just what a dysfunctional team McLaren were, but everything happens for a reason. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Seems that Lewis is motivated to continue racing in order to push for equality if he feels that he is on some sort of mission then the only thing that will limit him will be the machinery!

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

As history dictates - Brit wins the Championship, Democrats win US election. German wins, republicans win election.

Lewis’ poor reliability in 2012 is the exception that proves the rule.
I remember when this website was all fields.

Good_Year

Post by Good_Year »

The move to merc was a gamble but a calculated risk, because of the regulation changes, iirc Renault were furious when bernie tried to push back/cancel the hybrid era, because they had invested so much into their power units (they had 4 customers at the time so understandable) and it was known merc were gearing up to these changes early on. In 2011/12?

I was worried that the merc could never be soft on its tyres because they always shredded for schumi and rosberg. The 2013 pirelli test helped :twisted:

Invade

Post by Invade »

So what version of Bottas could beat Hamilton next year?

And would you really bet against Mercedes still being the best in 2022?

I wouldn't!

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Invade wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:14 am
The one where he gets absurdly lucky and Hamilton's car keeps breaking down?

Otherwise, I don't see it happening. We know Bottas' limits, and they stop well shy of beating Hamilton over a season.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

Exediron wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:27 am
Invade wrote:

Otherwise, I don't see it happening. We know Bottas' limits, and they stop well shy of beating Hamilton over a season.

Fortunately for Bottas, it seems Mercedes will still have the sort of dominance which at least offers him the platform of only having to beat Hamilton, because if Max was also in the mix I'd give him no hope. With a dominant package, at least there's a chance for that 'absurd' luck to carve out its magic. But over 23 races??? — Just makes it even more improbable.

At this stage I really wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton wins 10 WDCs. Maybe I'm just caught up in this dominance and am forgetting how quickly things can turn on a dime but at this point I'm just blinkered.

Alienturnedhuman

Invade wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:34 am
Exediron wrote:
Invade wrote:

Fortunately for Bottas, it seems Mercedes will still have the sort of dominance which at least offers him the platform of only having to beat Hamilton, because if Max was also in the mix I'd give him no hope. With a dominant package, at least there's a chance for that 'absurd' luck to carve out its magic. But over 23 races??? — Just makes it even more improbable.

At this stage I really wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton wins 10 WDCs. Maybe I'm just caught up in this dominance and am forgetting how quickly things can turn on a dime but at this point I'm just blinkered.
Schumacher had arguably the most dominant season in F1 history in 2004, but then never won a championship again. No one would have expected that. 2021 *should* have the 2020 pecking order, but 2022 is another roll of the dice.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Expected as it was, still an insane achievement, congrats to Hamilton!

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Props to Hamilton but the Ham+Merc dominance is seriously hurting the sport. Turkey was a great race up until the point Hamilton got to the front, imagine if the whole season was like you had no idea who's going to win.

Schumacher forever#1

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:53 am
Invade wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Invade wrote:

Schumacher had arguably the most dominant season in F1 history in 2004, but then never won a championship again. No one would have expected that. 2021 *should* have the 2020 pecking order, but 2022 is another roll of the dice.
It's a roll of the dice for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to give Mercedes at least a 33% chance of having the best package in 2022. In 2005, Ferrari picked the wrong number to come up, but history does not have to repeat itself.

Another question then is, will Hamilton retire at the same stage that Schumacher did? Because, if Schumacher didn't retire, he probably would have won nine titles.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Covalent wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:05 am
Props to Hamilton but the Ham+Merc dominance is seriously hurting the sport. Turkey was a great race up until the point Hamilton got to the front, imagine if the whole season was like you had no idea who's going to win.
It's sad when it's got to the point when Hamilton can't even get credit when he won without having the best car over the weekend.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:02 pm
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:53 am
Invade wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Invade wrote:

It's a roll of the dice for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to give Mercedes at least a 33% chance of having the best package in 2022. In 2005, Ferrari picked the wrong number to come up, but history does not have to repeat itself.

Another question then is, will Hamilton retire at the same stage that Schumacher did? Because, if Schumacher didn't retire, he probably would have won nine titles.
I'm hoping he signs another 3 year contract which would take him to 38, one year older than when Schumacher retired, after that maybe retirement going out at the top and not be a shadow of yourself which happened to Schumacher on his return.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Wow, I can't say that ever in my wildest dreams after watching Hamilton for the first time in the 2011 Italian Grand Prix that I ever thought 94 wins or 7 WDCs was remotely possible!

It's truely unbelievable how Lewis has positioned himself at the nexus of driving ability and car performance with a single team change. I truly believe he has cemented himself firmly in the conversations for the GOAT alongside Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Prost, Senna, Schumacher and Alonso.

Hamilton knows exactly how to deliver and has proven himself talented, intelligent and adaptable in the way the true greats of the sport have shown. The only thing that would top it would be a run of consecutive wins (I've borrowed this from the Turkey Race thread) or an Alonso 2012-type performance in 2022. He's had such good cars I'd love to see him among a competitive field such as 2010 or 2012 as I feel we would see the progression in Lewis now that he has nothing to prove to anybody.

Here's to 100 poles, 100 wins and the exquisite number 8!

Alienturnedhuman

F1Tyrant wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:31 pm
Wow, I can't say that ever in my wildest dreams after watching Hamilton for the first time in the 2011 Italian Grand Prix that I ever thought 94 wins or 7 WDCs was remotely possible!

It's truely unbelievable how Lewis has positioned himself at the nexus of driving ability and car performance with a single team change. I truly believe he has cemented himself firmly in the conversations for the GOAT alongside Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Prost, Senna, Schumacher and Alonso.

Hamilton knows exactly how to deliver and has proven himself talented, intelligent and adaptable in the way the true greats of the sport have shown. The only thing that would top it would be a run of consecutive wins (I've borrowed this from the Turkey Race thread) or an Alonso 2012-type performance in 2022. He's had such good cars I'd love to see him among a competitive field such as 2010 or 2012 as I feel we would see the progression in Lewis now that he has nothing to prove to anybody.

Here's to 100 poles, 100 wins and the exquisite number 8!
It's a good job your first time of watching Hamilton wasn't the Italian GP one year earlier or you would be convinced you were now in a parallel universe.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:34 pm
It's a good job your first time of watching Hamilton wasn't the Italian GP one year earlier or you would be convinced you were now in a parallel universe.
I presume that was the year he crashed in a rather undignified way at one of the Lesmos! I think 2011 was the year he decided to dial down the inner Senna and dial up the inner Prost.

j man

Post by j man »

Pressure is growing to award Lewis a knighthood:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54965544

Whilst I generally feel that these honours are dished out too liberally to sportspeople, consistency surely dictates that Lewis should have been awarded this some time ago. Sportspeople in other disciplines have been given knighthoods/damehoods for much less.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

j man wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 pm
Pressure is growing to award Lewis a knighthood:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54965544

Whilst I generally feel that these honours are dished out too liberally to sportspeople, consistency surely dictates that Lewis should have been awarded this some time ago. Sportspeople in other disciplines have been given knighthoods/damehoods for much less.
As someone on twitter said, if he was a cricketer he’d have three knighthoods and a seat in the House of Lords by now :lol:

But yeah, not a fan of the honours system but agree if there’s consistency he should have one.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Hamilton won't get a knighthood because of a combination of his tax exile status and social justice activism. The British establishment likely hates him for both and aren't keen to recognise him. Lewis strikes me as the kind of guy that would take the knighthood if offered but isn't particularly bothered.

Cricketers are another kettle of fish, most are firmly middle to upper class and desperate for recognition from their betters if Botham is anything to go by. Not much diversity in that sport either and plenty of racist dog-whistles going around, particularly about Jofra Archer.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:45 pm
Hamilton won't get a knighthood because of a combination of his tax exile status and social justice activism. The British establishment likely hates him for both and aren't keen to recognise him. Lewis strikes me as the kind of guy that would take the knighthood if offered but isn't particularly bothered.

Cricketers are another kettle of fish, most are firmly middle to upper class and desperate for recognition from their betters if Botham is anything to go by. Not much diversity in that sport either and plenty of racist dog-whistles going around, particularly about Jofra Archer.
You’re kidding right? I mean... The West Indies, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa....
I remember when this website was all fields.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Banana Man wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:51 am
You’re kidding right? I mean... The West Indies, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa....
Sorry, I look very stupid...

I meant much diversity in the England team. We've had a handful of players from ethnic minority backgrounds but not very many. Not to mention they get treated much more harshly when they don't perform.

Alienturnedhuman

F1Tyrant wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:48 pm
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:34 pm
I presume that was the year he crashed in a rather undignified way at one of the Lesmos! I think 2011 was the year he decided to dial down the inner Senna and dial up the inner Prost.
That was 2 years prior, and more forgiveable because he was giving it everything to snatch a 2nd place to keep up the slim chance of remaining in contention for the 2009 title. In Monza 2010 he didn't complete a lap after attempting a clumsy move on the inside of Massa at turn 4. It was the prologue to his 2011 season.