The Official Sir Lewis Hamilton thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
aice

Re: The Official Lewis Hamilton thread

Post by aice »

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton on bagging number 1 spot on Autosport’s list of top 50 drivers of 2015! :proud: :D

http://beta.autosport.com/top-50-drivers-of-2015/page/1
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

mds

Post by mds »

Stopped reading at Ocon, placed #49.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

aice

Post by aice »

mds wrote:Stopped reading at Ocon, placed #49.

I'll let you into a little secret, i also stopped reading at 49 and went straight to number 1. For me, great to see driver 44 there :nod: :D
You just need to be accepted for who you are and be proud of who you are and that is what I'm trying to do.
Lewis Hamilton

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

aice wrote:Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton on bagging number 1 spot on Autosport’s list of top 50 drivers of 2015! :proud: :D

Good to see Lewis placed at #1 but to be honest I don't take much stock in such things
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

aice

Post by aice »

pokerman wrote:
aice wrote:Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton on bagging number 1 spot on Autosport’s list of top 50 drivers of 2015! :proud: :D

Good to see Lewis placed at #1 but to be honest I don't take much stock in such things
To be honest, neither do i. I think Lewis has topped a lot of polls this year and i agree, most are not worth shouting about. But Autosport are generally well regarded within the motor sport industry so in my books, it’s worth a mention. Arguably, the most coveted was the team bosses' vote. Good to see Lewis topping that one too. No harm in singing Lewis Hamilton’s praises on the Lewis Hamilton thread! :)
Lewis Hamilton

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

aice wrote:
pokerman wrote:

To be honest, neither do i. I think Lewis has topped a lot of polls this year and i agree, most are not worth shouting about. But Autosport are generally well regarded within the motor sport industry so in my books, it’s worth a mention. Arguably, the most coveted was the team bosses' vote. Good to see Lewis topping that one too. No harm in singing Lewis Hamilton’s praises on the Lewis Hamilton thread! :)
No it's just the comparing with drivers from different series, I just think it's an impossible thing to do, in particular the comparison with rallying which is like comparing chalk with cheese.

I see F1 as being the pinnacle so Lewis being voted #1 in that respect is fine, if however you think in terms of domination over other drivers then Ogier is more impressive in a discipline were the car is less of a factor.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

aice

Post by aice »

pokerman wrote: I see F1 as being the pinnacle so Lewis being voted #1 in that respect is fine,
Fair points regarding the difficulties in comparing different disciplines. But that bit of your comment that i have chosen to quote, is the main thing for me! :)
Lewis Hamilton

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:I see F1 as being the pinnacle so Lewis being voted #1 in that respect is fine, if however you think in terms of domination over other drivers then Ogier is more impressive in a discipline were the car is less of a factor.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the car is less important in rallying; WRC tends to go from one manufacturer dominating to the next, just like F1. By that metric I think Vandoorne should be #1, since he legitimately dominated a spec series which I don't think anyone else can claim this year.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:I see F1 as being the pinnacle so Lewis being voted #1 in that respect is fine, if however you think in terms of domination over other drivers then Ogier is more impressive in a discipline were the car is less of a factor.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the car is less important in rallying; WRC tends to go from one manufacturer dominating to the next, just like F1. By that metric I think Vandoorne should be #1, since he legitimately dominated a spec series which I don't think anyone else can claim this year.
I think perhaps you don't really watch rallying if you think it's just another version of F1, I guess Citroen just happened to have the best car when Loeb won his 9 titles, then the moment he retired Citroen no longer had the best car because they could no longer win, that fell to VW with Ogier now winning all the titles, strange though that Loeb in a few guest appearances for Citroen was able to win a couple of rallys showing the likes of Meeke and Ostberg are really not quite good enough.

We shouldn't forget the year that Loeb and Ogier were teammates at Citroen Ogier was able to win rallys against him, and lets not also forget that Latvala his VW teammate is rated as one of the fastest rally drivers but just prone to crashing a bit too much.

Regarding Vandoorne do you consider the GP2 field of drivers to as good as the the F1 field of drivers?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:I think perhaps you don't really watch rallying if you think it's just another version of F1, I guess Citroen just happened to have the best car when Loeb won his 9 titles, then the moment he retired Citroen no longer had the best car because they could no longer win, that fell to VW with Ogier now winning all the titles, strange though that Loeb in a few guest appearances for Citroen was able to win a couple of rallys showing the likes of Meeke and Ostberg are really not quite good enough.

We shouldn't forget the year that Loeb and Ogier were teammates at Citroen Ogier was able to win rallys against him, and lets not also forget that Latvala his VW teammate is rated as one of the fastest rally drivers but just prone to crashing a bit too much.
You're right, I don't really watch rallying much at all - I personally find it boring. I have a few friends online who do, and they're always talking about this manufacturer or that manufacturer instead of the drivers so I assumed it was similar. If you say that's not the case, I admit I don't have the facts to dispute it.
pokerman wrote:Regarding Vandoorne do you consider the GP2 field of drivers to as good as the the F1 field of drivers?
Of course I don't. I was responding to this sentence:
if however you think in terms of domination over other drivers then Ogier is more impressive in a discipline were the car is less of a factor.
And pointing out that in a spec series such as GP2 the car is certainly less of a factor than F1 (and I strongly suspect rallying), and therefore Vandoorne's domination is more impressive. If Hamilton was able to dominate the F1 field in equal machinery it would unquestionably be the more impressive performance, but rather or not he could he'll never have the chance to try. He's dominated Nico, and that's not as easy to do as some people make it sound, but it's not the same thing as dominating the F1 field.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:I think perhaps you don't really watch rallying if you think it's just another version of F1, I guess Citroen just happened to have the best car when Loeb won his 9 titles, then the moment he retired Citroen no longer had the best car because they could no longer win, that fell to VW with Ogier now winning all the titles, strange though that Loeb in a few guest appearances for Citroen was able to win a couple of rallys showing the likes of Meeke and Ostberg are really not quite good enough.

You're right, I don't really watch rallying much at all - I personally find it boring. I have a few friends online who do, and they're always talking about this manufacturer or that manufacturer instead of the drivers so I assumed it was similar. If you say that's not the case, I admit I don't have the facts to dispute it.
pokerman wrote:Regarding Vandoorne do you consider the GP2 field of drivers to as good as the the F1 field of drivers?
Of course I don't. I was responding to this sentence:
if however you think in terms of domination over other drivers then Ogier is more impressive in a discipline were the car is less of a factor.
And pointing out that in a spec series such as GP2 the car is certainly less of a factor than F1 (and I strongly suspect rallying), and therefore Vandoorne's domination is more impressive. If Hamilton was able to dominate the F1 field in equal machinery it would unquestionably be the more impressive performance, but rather or not he could he'll never have the chance to try. He's dominated Nico, and that's not as easy to do as some people make it sound, but it's not the same thing as dominating the F1 field.
I think you are missing the point that Ogier is competing against the best rally drivers in the world whereas Vandoorne is competing in a series which is not the pinnacle of the sport.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

aice

Post by aice »

Lewis Hamilton

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

aice wrote:Lewis reveals that he is dyslexic.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/f1 ... ols-122115
There's one comment at the bottom of that article that made me snort out loud in the office

I would imagine going over race reports and taking in all the data from this graph and that analysis is quite a job for someone who is dyslexic
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

mcdo wrote:

There's one comment at the bottom of that article that made me snort out loud in the office

I would imagine going over race reports and taking in all the data from this graph and that analysis is quite a job for someone who is dyslexic
Did anyone else think immediately of this?

#KeepFightingMichael

aice

Post by aice »

mcdo wrote:

Indeed. In a strange way, it personally makes me more appreciative of all that Hamilton has achieved.

Interesting article here that explains how having dyslexia can sometimes contribute to success on track.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/06/w ... champions/
Lewis Hamilton

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

MistaVega23 wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Did anyone else think immediately of this?

Comments aren't showing for me. What was the comment? Did it have something to do with why he would've chosen the number 44?
{Insert clever sig line here}

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mcdo wrote:

I thought dyslexia was just word blindness and not related as such with dealing with data and numbers?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I thought dyslexia was just word blindness and not related as such with dealing with data and numbers?
There are different levels that it can effect someone and can manifest different ways in different people.

One of the most common ways it can show itself is as an inability to read characters in the proper order which would make studying race reports, and data sheets and graphs quite hard.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

RaggedMan wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

There are different levels that it can effect someone and can manifest different ways in different people.

One of the most common ways it can show itself is as an inability to read characters in the proper order which would make studying race reports, and data sheets and graphs quite hard.
This is what I recall from a guy I went to school with. I would have thought numbers were no different to letters in this regard
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

mcdo wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

This is what I recall from a guy I went to school with. I would have thought numbers were no different to letters in this regard
Yea, that's why I used 'characters' because it can be numbers or letters. I should've used difficulty instead of inability but from what I understand for some it's closer to the latter.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:There's one comment at the bottom of that article that made me snort out loud in the office

Yea, that's why I used 'characters' because it can be numbers or letters. I should've used difficulty instead of inability but from what I understand for some it's closer to the latter.
Oh yeah I got ya, I was just kinda responding to you and pokerman
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote: There's one comment at the bottom of that article that made me snort out loud in the office

Ok I didn't realise it included numbers as well
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

aice

Post by aice »

Lewis Hamilton

Chunky

Post by Chunky »

mcdo wrote:This is what I recall from a guy I went to school with. I would have thought numbers were no different to letters in this regard
There's dyslexia which is difficulty with letters and dyscalculia which is a difficulty dealing with numbers and mathematics. There are shades of both, but some of the "number blind" people can read just fine.

Good on anyone in either category who make something out of themselves, large or small, despite the handicap. Some of the world's most famous success stories are dyslexic, like Branson for example.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Chunky wrote:
mcdo wrote:This is what I recall from a guy I went to school with. I would have thought numbers were no different to letters in this regard
There's dyslexia which is difficulty with letters and dyscalculia which is a difficulty dealing with numbers and mathematics. There are shades of both, but some of the "number blind" people can read just fine.

Good on anyone in either category who make something out of themselves, large or small, despite the handicap. Some of the world's most famous success stories are dyslexic, like Branson for example.

Oh right I did think that dyslexia related to just words.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

stevey

Post by stevey »

Isn't it called discalculia if it's numbers.

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

Speaking at the launch of Channel 4’s Formula 1 coverage, 13-time Grand Prix winner Coulthard said such distractions could allow Hamilton’s Mercedes team-mate, Nico Rosberg, to start where he left off last season – when the German won the final three races – and gain the upper hand in 2016.

‘Nico has been able to beat him, especially at the end of last season. Did Lewis mentally lift off? Is he only about championships or will he fight for every single victory? There were fewer questions about Senna, Prost, or Mansell. You knew they were going to fight for every single opportunity.
It's interesting how one driver can have a child - the biggest commitment it's possible to make in life, which takes the most time and energy away from everything else - and seemingly receives little to no sporting criticism for doing so. Yet another driver can have an active social life, with complete control over the timings and intensity of this social life, and his energy levels come into question.

The DM do point out later in the article that DC suspects Hamilton does have the requisite energy levels, but this does not detract from what is clearly the main thrust of the article. I suspect the main difference between Hamilton's social life and the social life of others drivers is nothing to do with how active or intense or time-consuming or energy-sapping it is, it is more that his friends are more 'high profile' and he plasters the whole thing across social media, so it's easier to criticise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... thard.html

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

fieldstvl wrote:
Speaking at the launch of Channel 4’s Formula 1 coverage, 13-time Grand Prix winner Coulthard said such distractions could allow Hamilton’s Mercedes team-mate, Nico Rosberg, to start where he left off last season – when the German won the final three races – and gain the upper hand in 2016.

‘Nico has been able to beat him, especially at the end of last season. Did Lewis mentally lift off? Is he only about championships or will he fight for every single victory? There were fewer questions about Senna, Prost, or Mansell. You knew they were going to fight for every single opportunity.
It's interesting how one driver can have a child - the biggest commitment it's possible to make in life, which takes the most time and energy away from everything else - and seemingly receives little to no sporting criticism for doing so. Yet another driver can have an active social life, with complete control over the timings and intensity of this social life, and his energy levels come into question.

The DM do point out later in the article that DC suspects Hamilton does have the requisite energy levels, but this does not detract from what is clearly the main thrust of the article. I suspect the main difference between Hamilton's social life and the social life of others drivers is nothing to do with how active or intense or time-consuming or energy-sapping it is, it is more that his friends are more 'high profile' and he plasters the whole thing across social media, so it's easier to criticise.

I think if James Hunt is admired for it then Lewis should be left alone. But I guess if Lewis were to lose out to Nico this year, that will be the explanation
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

fieldstvl wrote:

While I think too much is made of Hamilton's lifestyle I think you're putting too much into the comparison.

Nico isn't a single parent who has to drop his child off at the paddock day care before going to work. He has a partner who takes primary responsibility for the day to day raising of the child, and does what he can during the off season and other down times between races.

When there's a 2 week gap and Hamilton goes from a race in Asia, to a premier in LA, to a fashion show in New York, before heading to the next race is when the criticism comes mostly. Apples and oranges.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Some will overreact about this, but certainly not the brightest thing to say!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/20 ... n-culture/
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Aspar

Post by Aspar »

I was wondering what was going on with LH and the poor starts he is having. So far, he has lost 17 points to Rosberg in races in which he should have had a walk in the park, starting from first and finishing without problems.
I thought he was just having a bad start of the season, but then read that it was actually a problem in the clutch and it might not be fixed for China.
Here is what Toto siad:

Wolff, the head of Mercedes motorsport, said: "We tend to believe it is more a hardware issue than a control electronics problem. You can't solve that from one race to the other.

"We are working to sort it out. The way we assess clutches and the way we round them, the way we calibrate them. Obviously how the driver uses it needs to be optimised.

"But mainly the collaboration with Daimler is about optimising the hardware. That takes a little bit of time. When we will have results I am not sure yet."

So far LH hasn't been harsh to the team for not providing him with what he obviously needs. Good that Merc aknowledge the problem, but i am starting to ask, why didn't they sort it out before the season start? Don't wanna put a tinfoil hat on, but is this the only way Merc can make a German pilot a champ, in probably the last year of their dominance?

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Aspar wrote:I was wondering what was going on with LH and the poor starts he is having. So far, he has lost 17 points to Rosberg in races in which he should have had a walk in the park, starting from first and finishing without problems.
I thought he was just having a bad start of the season, but then read that it was actually a problem in the clutch and it might not be fixed for China.
Here is what Toto siad:

Wolff, the head of Mercedes motorsport, said: "We tend to believe it is more a hardware issue than a control electronics problem. You can't solve that from one race to the other.

"We are working to sort it out. The way we assess clutches and the way we round them, the way we calibrate them. Obviously how the driver uses it needs to be optimised.

"But mainly the collaboration with Daimler is about optimising the hardware. That takes a little bit of time. When we will have results I am not sure yet."

So far LH hasn't been harsh to the team for not providing him with what he obviously needs. Good that Merc aknowledge the problem, but i am starting to ask, why didn't they sort it out before the season start? Don't wanna put a tinfoil hat on, but is this the only way Merc can make a German pilot a champ, in probably the last year of their dominance?
Except both Lewis and Nico had poor starts in Oz, so that doesn't quite wash.

It's early days. Lewis didn't get it right on Sunday, but there again Kimi fluffed his, too, and his was near flawless in Oz. I think it's too early to start worrying excessively.

aice

Post by aice »

Aspar wrote:I was wondering what was going on with LH and the poor starts he is having. So far, he has lost 17 points to Rosberg in races in which he should have had a walk in the park, starting from first and finishing without problems.
Here is what Toto siad:

I wasn't aware of this statement from Toto. Actually, on reflection, post-race, Lewis seemed to allude to this. When asked about his poor starts he said he wasn't overly worried and that "they should have it fixed by China"? If the problem is something beyond Lewis's control, Mercedes need to fix it quickly. These poor starts are compromising Lewis's chances. I know there's a long way to go in the the season but it's something they need to assess and rectify - pronto!
Lewis Hamilton

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Zoue wrote:
Here is what Toto siad:

Except both Lewis and Nico had poor starts in Oz, so that doesn't quite wash.

It's early days. Lewis didn't get it right on Sunday, but there again Kimi fluffed his, too, and his was near flawless in Oz. I think it's too early to start worrying excessively.
Overall I agree but if he has another bad start the next time out that would simply be unacceptable for all involved. This problem cannot be allowed to linger.

ob1kenobi.23

Post by ob1kenobi.23 »

Lewis to take a 5 place grid penalty due to a gear box change at the Chinese GP.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-motor- ... KKCN0XB01R
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:Lewis to take a 5 place grid penalty due to a gear box change at the Chinese GP.

I wonder if it got damaged when Bottas hit him?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

stevey

Post by stevey »

That or they realised his clutch is causing his bad starts and have used the crash as an excuse to swap it out.

JohnnyGuitar

Post by JohnnyGuitar »

pokerman wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:Lewis to take a 5 place grid penalty due to a gear box change at the Chinese GP.

No it got damaged when Bernie sneaked into the Merc garage.

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

stevey wrote:That or they realised his clutch is causing his bad starts and have used the crash as an excuse to swap it out.
Is the clutch not replaceable without penalty?
The end is near

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:

Sorry to spoil you Christmas....

Mercedes also revealed that the damage to the gearbox was not the result of his accident with Valtteri Bottas at Turn 1.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars