The Official Sir Lewis Hamilton thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
f1aroo

Re: The Lewis Hamilton appreciation thread (official)

Post by f1aroo »

All this business about where his head was last year....no daddy, no girlfriend, no friends...

Well, they've hired a mentor to follow around and clean his nose, he's back with Nicole, but friends. Yikes...I'm afraid Sutil wants to kill him.

You would think that after the rough time he had last year he'd be concentrating hard on F1 with just a couple weeks to the first race. Not so. Look at his twitter. It's "with Nicole at concert last night", "Just in Dublin watching Nicole she killed it tonight!", "wicked night in Birmingham. Once again Nicole killed it out there, I'm so proud."

One hundred percent concentrating on being the best he can be.......hmmm. Not so much.

I'm hoping he's just trying to get all this rounded up before the season starts. Nicole tries to support him while still having a career of her own....and vice versa. Must be tough.

Pman8000

Post by Pman8000 »

matzy wrote:
Pman8000 wrote:Personally I don't think he'll go anywhere. He's been with McLaren for such a long time and I can't
see why he wouldn't want to stay. Okay I guess Button is there, but when Lewis is on form there
is no competition between the two. And this season I am going to imagine he'll have something to
prove!

If he was to move I can only imagine he would go to a equal or arguably quicker team and at the
minute there isonly one.... Red Bull. Unless the Mercedes is drastically quicker this year I can't see
him going there.

In an ideal world, a driver moves from one competitive car to the next ... but a lot has to be said of a driver who moves to a team that needs taking by the scruff of the neck and made competitive. Arguably, such a move can separate the good drivers from the great ones. I would be intrigued as to how Lewis would handle such a situation.

Yeah I guess he could see it as a challenge to turn the team around and get them to be more competitive.
He's gone around the outside!!

Lewis Hamilton

LITE992

Post by LITE992 »

I think people are exaggerating Button after 2011. The guy is cool and consistant but Hamilton has out qualified Button at nearly every race, and in the races where he has no problems, he always out raced Button. I do think that Button is a great driver but there hasn't been a race where he was faster than Hamilton.
Supporter of:

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

matzy

Post by matzy »

LITE992 wrote:I think people are exaggerating Button after 2011. The guy is cool and consistant but Hamilton has out qualified Button at nearly every race, and in the races where he has no problems, he always out raced Button. I do think that Button is a great driver but there hasn't been a race where he was faster than Hamilton.

I think a lot of people would agree that Lewis has the better pace, but "points mean prizes". If Lewis cannot eliminate the incidents and has the odd "off day" as well, Button will be giving him another run for his money in 2012.

This year is going to be a defining one for Lewis, IMHO, one way or the other.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

matzy wrote:I think a lot of people would agree that Lewis has the better pace, but "points mean prizes". If Lewis cannot eliminate the incidents and has the odd "off day" as well, Button will be giving him another run for his money in 2012.

This year is going to be a defining one for Lewis, IMHO, one way or the other.

I agree with that sentiment and I think Lewis knows it. From reading his quotes, it seems that he has identified some mistakes that he made last season in terms of managing his time. He understands that there have to be sacrifices made to his social life if he's going to be at his best on race days and he is commited to making those sacrifices.

I think that in the past he had his father there to be on his case if he was doing something that he shouldn't and last year it was more just left to him to police himslef. Last year we saw him suffer through some growing pains but I think this year we will see him at his very best. He has something to prove again. His teammate outscored him last season and Vettel beat him to a second title. I think it's time that Lewis transitioned from being a young, talented driver with loads of potential to being the driver that he's capable of being. I actually expect him to have his strongest season this year.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

i'm hoping that 2007-2010 he was a caterpillar 2011 he was in his cocoon and then 2012 onwards he will be a butterfly :smug:

formula1fanatic

Post by formula1fanatic »

LITE992 wrote:I think people are exaggerating Button after 2011. The guy is cool and consistant but Hamilton has out qualified Button at nearly every race, and in the races where he has no problems, he always out raced Button. I do think that Button is a great driver but there hasn't been a race where he was faster than Hamilton.

You don't watch live timing then.
Most of the time there pace in many races has been a match/very close
So you think jenson slower in every race compared to lewis?

floydhead

Post by floydhead »

As a general rule Button never has been and never will be as fast as Lewis over a single lap. Button's driving style is completely different to Hamilton's and both styles have their strengths and weaknesses.
Button is unable understeer through a corner the way drivers such an Hamilton and Vettel do, who can drive through a corner balancing the understeer on a knife edge and this can gain them the extra time on a qualifying lap.
Button's advantages are that he has a far better feel for the car and is apparently the driver the team listens to when it comes to car set up. He is much easier on tyres and has the patience not to push too hard at the start of stint, knowing it will gain him an overall advantage. This style gained Button an advantage last year with the introduction of the P-Zero's.
Two totally different styles both with their own advantages.

Luckily for Button points are won on a Sunday :D
Lots of love,
A McLaren fan

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

floydhead wrote:

As a general rule Button never has been and never will be as fast as Lewis over a single lap. Button's driving style is completely different to Hamilton's and both styles have their strengths and weaknesses.
Button is unable understeer through a corner the way drivers such an Hamilton and Vettel do, who can drive through a corner balancing the understeer on a knife edge and this can gain them the extra time on a qualifying lap.
Button's advantages are that he has a far better feel for the car and is apparently the driver the team listens to when it comes to car set up. He is much easier on tyres and has the patience not to push too hard at the start of stint, knowing it will gain him an overall advantage. This style gained Button an advantage last year with the introduction of the P-Zero's.
Two totally different styles both with their own advantages.

Luckily for Button points are won on a Sunday :D

I think the rules have sort of skewed towards Jenson's style of driving. It's more about nursing the tires now instead of balls-out speed.

Either way, I think this season will be one to watch closely. Lewis's motivation will be sky-high. Jenson is an excellent driver in the prime of his racing career. We can make predictions all we want but I'd rather just tune in and see for myself how things go. I actually think that Lewis will surprise people with his performance this season.

Raifosa

Post by Raifosa »

Lewis Hamilton's Australian GP 2012 helmet. A new helmet for every race, it appears.

https://twitpic.com/8vtc9u
“What does that expression mean, ‘friends with benefits’?
Does he provide her with health insurance?”

raider-hall

Post by raider-hall »

He'sssss backkkkkk! ;)

chinki

Post by chinki »

raider-hall wrote:He'sssss backkkkkk! ;)

BOY Is he!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P1 Wooooohooooooooo baby!!!!!!! 8)

lonix2011

Post by lonix2011 »

He never left.

He has always been fast, JB showed yet again that he is closer to LH and both drivers very happy with the car.

Still a little hope for MSC - i do want to see him on the podium just once :)

cinthorc

Post by cinthorc »

What a fantastic start to the year for Lewis, lets hope that every race is like this!
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Korean GP 2013)
Podiums: 3
2012 Championship Standing: 15th
2013 Championship Standing: 20th

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

This is it guys! His best shot at a title since 2008. No more chasing the Bulls all year.

cmax

Post by cmax »

Yeah baby!!!!!!

That is what am talking about!

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

He's back!

Pathfinder

Raifosa

Post by Raifosa »

:D
“What does that expression mean, ‘friends with benefits’?
Does he provide her with health insurance?”

schnitt

Post by schnitt »

Amazing drive by Hamilton.

Anyone know what would happen if Hamilton had qualified 1rst and then on the next lap gone to the gravel? Would he still start 1rst?

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

Yeah he'd still get pole as he had fastest lap. Like how Alonso starts ahead of Massa because he was faster before he spun off.

edit: Also "first" is written as "1st"
Pathfinder

NetWorKzz

Post by NetWorKzz »

PERFECT CAPTION

"HATERS GONNA HATE"

:] :] :] :]

SilverPower

Post by SilverPower »

schnitt wrote:Amazing drive by Hamilton.

Anyone know what would happen if Hamilton had qualified 1rst and then on the next lap gone to the gravel? Would he still start 1rst?

Yes, they take your best lap, not your last lap.

ianjds

Post by ianjds »

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!
TEAM UK
Lewis Hamilton, Paul Di Resta and Jenson Button
plus
Mark Webber
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCADES

Gondo

Post by Gondo »

The 2012 version of Hamilton will surely be the best to date. In spite of what Pirelli may say, the tyres are better this year, they have to be. They can't be any worse than they were at the start of last season without falling apart completely, and Hamilton, long renowned for being hard on his tyres will have learnt how to manage his tyres out of his 2011 exprerience. Every year one expects a young driver to learn and improve.

In 2012, Hamilton is better, having learnt how to deal with a slow car in 2009, learnt how not to handle things under pressure in 2007 and 2008, how to manage himself in 2011, also learnt how to manage the tyres in 2011 (which will be better this year), still out and out fastest , in what appers to be the fastest car on the grid.

As a package, Lewis Hamilton has never looked better. Does the fastest driver on the grid have the fastest car this year? I hope so. If he does, he must be careful and use it wisely.
Hamilton + Mercedes!

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

Eat that! Yeah!
Pathfinder

xECKSx58

Post by xECKSx58 »

Does he have a Malaysian helmet this round?

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

Most likely, btw can the THREAD CREATOR please make the thread title all CAPS or something as its difficult to find this thread.
Pathfinder

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Very good race from Lewis, despite his team diong it's best to hamper him
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” ― Albert Einstein

chinki

Post by chinki »

Sabrina wrote:Very good race from Lewis, despite his team diong it's best to hamper him

Couldnt agree more. A great result considering the team were suicidal for Lewis. I am disappointed that McLaren pit wall seem to be more bothered about Jenson's prospects than Lewis's. Lewis is slowly becoming the Webber of McLaren in terms of how the team views him. I simply do not understand why they would make his 3 pit stops after worrying about Jenson first.

schumi8

Post by schumi8 »

What big difference a girl can make? ;)

schumi8

Post by schumi8 »

f1madman wrote:He's back!

For sure

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Lewis was unfortunate in this race. If McLaren hadn't botched his first stop, he might have fared much better. None the less, in my opinion, he is in great shape for the championship. The McLaren is the fastest car in the dry and he is the faster of the two drivers as evidenced by his two pole positions. I think now he just needs a clean, straight forward race or two and we will see him take victories.

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

chinki wrote:
Sabrina wrote:Very good race from Lewis, despite his team diong it's best to hamper him

Couldnt agree more. A great result considering the team were suicidal for Lewis. I am disappointed that McLaren pit wall seem to be more bothered about Jenson's prospects than Lewis's. Lewis is slowly becoming the Webber of McLaren in terms of how the team views him. I simply do not understand why they would make his 3 pit stops after worrying about Jenson first.

More & more people stop thinking it's pure cioncidence, looks like Lewis is not allowed to win at McLaren
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” ― Albert Einstein

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Sabrina wrote:
chinki wrote:

More & more people stop thinking it's pure cioncidence, looks like Lewis is not allowed to win at McLaren

This is a ridiculous line of thinking and will get all Hamilton fans a bad name. Please stop. He's been unlucky and the team have made a couple of bad decisions. It happens.
If...

chinki

Post by chinki »

PzR Slim wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
chinki wrote:

This is a ridiculous line of thinking and will get all Hamilton fans a bad name. Please stop. He's been unlucky and the team have made a couple of bad decisions. It happens.

Why would a conscious choice by the pit wall to pit Jense first on all the 3 stops be an unlucky one for Lewis. It would be unlucky if the pit wall did not have control. This has nothing to do with luck. These were conscious decisions and the 2nd call even allowed Jense to undercut Lewis as could have been predicted. Something doesnt sound right here and this on the back of the last race where they were okay to see Lewis lose 6 seconds over Vettel coz they wanted to secure #1 for Jense.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

chinki wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
chinki wrote:

Why would a conscious choice by the pit wall to pit Jense first on all the 3 stops be an unlucky one for Lewis. It would be unlucky if the pit wall did not have control. This has nothing to do with luck. These were conscious decisions and the 2nd call even allowed Jense to undercut Lewis as could have been predicted. Something doesnt sound right here and this on the back of the last race where they were okay to see Lewis lose 6 seconds over Vettel coz they wanted to secure #1 for Jense.

Tin foil hat time I see. Where did I say the choices were unlucky? I said 'bad decisions'. The bad luck I was referring to was the timing of the safety car in Australia.
If...

chinki

Post by chinki »

PzR Slim wrote:Tin foil hat time I see. Where did I say the choices were unlucky? I said 'bad decisions'. The bad luck I was referring to was the timing of the safety car in Australia.

I understand why you call it tin foil hat time but really 4 bad decisions for Lewis in 2 races and 4 good ones for Jenson. As I said, it is not that McLaren are deliberately hindering Lewis, it is just that they "prefer" to worry more about Jenson - just like there is nothing wrong at RBR but they do prefer Vettel over Webber.

joeypharris

Post by joeypharris »

Not spectacular (although I did think he was mighty in the first 9 laps, before it all stopped), but solid points again.

I think Hamilton has turned a corner this season based on the first 2 races alone. He realises that consistent finishes and staying out of trouble and clashes, will see him mounting a serious title challenge this year ( ala Alonso in '10). He made reference to 2007 in the post race interview (where he finished on the podium in the first 9 races), and stated that it was his aim to regularly finish on the podium. Sensible plan.

If he can bag a win at China (one of his happier hunting grounds), or even second place, it will reinforce his mindset, and fill him with the confidence to go and deliver for the rest of the season.

Here's to hoping for a successful '12 season.
Hamilton | Mercedes

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

I wonder if Lewis has already signed somwhere else. This would explain his cold relationship with the team, and button getting favourite treatment at strategys
I also wonder why Ferrari still holds on to Massa

Pedal2DMetal

Post by Pedal2DMetal »

Inappropriate post removed.