Formula E

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
cmberry20

Re: Formula E

Post by cmberry20 »

Well that sounds 'different'.

Not loud, but high pitched. It basically sounds like a full size 1:1 RC car.

Herb

Post by Herb »

I'm not sold on the sound, but quite looking forward to the series, think I might take a trip down to london next year to watch teh final round.

HulkStrong

Post by HulkStrong »

Big fan of a series like that for the environmentalists rather than cutting F1's balls off.
PF1 Pick 10 Comp
Podiums: 4 (2nd at the Monaco Grand Prix 2013, 2nd Austria 2015, followed that up with a win at Silverstone and 2nd place at the Hungarian Grand Prix)

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

I had hoped that this series would really race in city centres - Battersea is hardly The Mall. Why else make a song and dance about being green?
Having said that, I like the idea so far.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

A double post, how did that happen? :?
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

minchy

Post by minchy »

http://www.fiaformulae.com/news/test-dates-revealed
All pre-season tests to be held at Donnington, and free admission to fans for all 5 tests.

Good news for UK residents. Anyone thinking of going?
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

Depending on travel and stuff, I might go take a look. Maybe second to last day, everyone should be up to speed by then, and not as busy as the last.

I quite like Donington as a track, and was gutted that it didn't get the GP a few years ago, so I'm up for it :)
IV

f1fan09

Post by f1fan09 »

They are on week days...otherwise I would go. Hope someone takes some video. Are the races going to be on Freeview or Freeview paytv?

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

f1fan09 wrote:They are on week days...otherwise I would go. Hope someone takes some video. Are the races going to be on Freeview or Freeview paytv?

Every broadcast agreement I've seen announced so far as been free to air. I think I've also seen mention of live streaming on the interwebs.
{Insert clever sig line here}

SwissTony

Post by SwissTony »

f1fan09 wrote:They are on week days...otherwise I would go. Hope someone takes some video. Are the races going to be on Freeview or Freeview paytv?

ITV4

Volantary

Post by Volantary »

minchy wrote:http://www.fiaformulae.com/news/test-dates-revealed
All pre-season tests to be held at Donnington, and free admission to fans for all 5 tests.

Good news for UK residents. Anyone thinking of going?

I live extremely close, for sure I'll pop along :)
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy

minchy

Post by minchy »

Its the good thing about Donnington and Silverstone, they're both fairly central for England so most people can get there within a couple of hours.

I'll be going to 1 day if I get chance.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

For those of you who are local and thinking of going to the testing checkout the above linked site as they're asking for some sort of registration in advance.

Don't know if it's mandatory or not but it would suck if you showed up and all the seats were filled.

minchy

Post by minchy »

RaggedMan wrote:For those of you who are local and thinking of going to the testing checkout the above linked site as they're asking for some sort of registration in advance.

Don't know if it's mandatory or not but it would suck if you showed up and all the seats were filled.

It says it is manditory, the article says where you can register.

moby

Post by moby »

Ben Collins has a wide experience in all sorts of racing. I would expect him to show well in at least the early races until some sort of pecking order is found.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Aug 19th is my birthday.... decent excuse to go wandering up the M1 to watch some electric cars for a bit.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Rote

Post by Rote »

http://www.fiaformulae.com/news/WMSC-confirms-teams

Looks like Rio de Janerio has pulled out

amirb

Post by amirb »

RickM

Post by RickM »

Three points will be awarded to the driver securing pole position whilst the driver setting the fastest lap receives two points.

Huh...thats an interesting way of doing it. Kinda adds a bit more to Quali and driving to the limit though!

shift

Post by shift »

amirb wrote:Malaysian circuit reviled:

http://www.fiaformulae.com/events/putrajayacircuit

Now that's way more interesting than the first one revealed.

mds

Post by mds »

Has this been mentioned? Apparently performance levels are comparable to F3, with more power but also higher weight: http://current-e.com/chatter/performance-is-like-f3/

As a starting point that's not too bad.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

mds wrote:Has this been mentioned? Apparently performance levels are comparable to F3, with more power but also higher weight: http://current-e.com/chatter/performance-is-like-f3/

As a starting point that's not too bad.

And once the teams start manufacturing their own cars, they'll be even faster. It won't surprise me if in a few years, with advancements in technology, they begin to rival F1, at least in terms of speed. Now if only they'd use proper tracks...
IV

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

There was a story the other day about Micheline testing the Formula E tires in the wet, but damned if I can find it now.

I wanted to read it to see how much water they displaced and how they compare to F1 intermediates to get an idea of how much wether they might be able to run safely in.

Volantary

Post by Volantary »

amirb wrote:Malaysian circuit reviled:

http://www.fiaformulae.com/events/putrajayacircuit

A few similarities to Albert Park, depending on the width it should be good!
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy

shift

Post by shift »

The only thing i don't like visually are the odd tyres.

minchy

Post by minchy »

shift wrote:The only thing i don't like visually are the odd tyres.

Do you mean just the tyre, or the whole wheel?

I've not taken a close look at the tyres themselves, but I really like the wide rims and skinny tyre combination.

shift

Post by shift »

minchy wrote:
shift wrote:The only thing i don't like visually are the odd tyres.

Do you mean just the tyre, or the whole wheel?

I've not taken a close look at the tyres themselves, but I really like the wide rims and skinny tyre combination.

Yep, huge rims and skinny tyre combo looks strange to me!
On the other side the car design is amazing imho, so futuristic.

Rote

Post by Rote »

The track layout for Putrajaya in Malaysia doesn't look too bad to me. More imaginative than Beijing at least :-P

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Rote wrote:Image

The track layout for Putrajaya in Malaysia doesn't look too bad to me. More imaginative than Beijing at least :-P

That's a long pit lane. Although with the car swap/100m dash I guess it's necessary.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

The Malaysia track looks pretty good for a street circuit in a major city, a nice mix of different types of corners and a decent straight too. I think I like the big wheel low profile tyre thing too, somehow makes it seem more mainstream production based, especially with the treaded tyres. More approachable to fans I think as they can compare it to their own car.

The 100m sprint to the second car still makes it feel comical and kind of ruins an otherwise great idea to me. If the cars can't make race distance on a single charge why not make the battery tray removable and pit for a pack change during the race?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Brief comment from Prost regarding FE. He is being rather upbeat even considering that he is invloved with DAMS.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/news/alain-prost-tyre-test

minchy

Post by minchy »

Blackhander wrote:The Malaysia track looks pretty good for a street circuit in a major city, a nice mix of different types of corners and a decent straight too. I think I like the big wheel low profile tyre thing too, somehow makes it seem more mainstream production based, especially with the treaded tyres. More approachable to fans I think as they can compare it to their own car.

The 100m sprint to the second car still makes it feel comical and kind of ruins an otherwise great idea to me. If the cars can't make race distance on a single charge why not make the battery tray removable and pit for a pack change during the race?

I like that battery pit change idea, much better than 100m sprint but I guess its a bit more complex than simply changing some AAA's or a phone battery. I don't see why they can't just have the second car waiting in a parking space in a parc ferme area next to where they need to park the first car? Just a simple get out get in job then.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

minchy wrote:
Blackhander wrote:The Malaysia track looks pretty good for a street circuit in a major city, a nice mix of different types of corners and a decent straight too. I think I like the big wheel low profile tyre thing too, somehow makes it seem more mainstream production based, especially with the treaded tyres. More approachable to fans I think as they can compare it to their own car.

I like that battery pit change idea, much better than 100m sprint but I guess its a bit more complex than simply changing some AAA's or a phone battery. I don't see why they can't just have the second car waiting in a parking space in a parc ferme area next to where they need to park the first car? Just a simple get out get in job then.

A few months back Tesla demonstrated an automated battery swap system that worked on a Model S in 90 seconds so the car is designed to allow that option and still not worry about the battery pack coming loose or out under normal driving conditions so this might be something that comes along in the future in this series.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Chinese driver does laps and talks up the car and the season opening Chinese race.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/multimedia/ho-pin-tung-test-drive-video

All the testing is done and the cars are to be delivered to Donnington on May 15.

minchy

Post by minchy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf6h2F-P3BU&list=PLsRNoUx8w3rOHqEz_K3Sg3xwWOZgK1Cwt

Nice little interview with Alejandro Agag here. I really like his comparison of formula e to an 80's mobile phone and a smart phone as to what we'll get in the future. Also, his answer to the question of why is it green when the power ultimately comes from fossil fuels anyway......
[spoiler=simplified answer]That's someone else's problem to work out![/spoiler]

Rote

Post by Rote »

I was interested when he was talking about the drivers running from one car to another. He said it was simply not safe to have changeable battery packs... so I guess if you have to use two cars, why not make the best of it? :-P

What he said about the vote power boost concept made me hate it even more. It just seems inevitable to me that the driver with the most fans will get the boost 100% of the time...

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

12 Ex-F1 drivers is impressive however you look at it - some very smart marketing people on-board there.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

minchy

Post by minchy »

Rote wrote:I was interested when he was talking about the drivers running from one car to another. He said it was simply not safe to have changeable battery packs... so I guess if you have to use two cars, why not make the best of it? :-P

What he said about the vote power boost concept made me hate it even more. It just seems inevitable to me that the driver with the most fans will get the boost 100% of the time...

which is also why he said the Chinese drivers are happy as they have quite a large number of countrymen over any other driver who have the power to vote for them!

minchy

Post by minchy »

http://www.fiaformulae.com/news/virgin-driver-annoucement

Drivers for Virgin have been reviled, Jamie Alguersuari and Sam Bird.

I think that's a really exciting line-up and it's good to see Algurrsuari in a race seat again.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Good for Jaime! I really felt he got a raw deal at STR here's hoping this iteration isn't as messed up as the F1 Virgin Racing was.