Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Quark
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Quark »

Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012. :D despite driving one of the slowest cars (top speed wise). Can people now stop saying that he cannot overtake?

All overtakes
1. Sebastian Vettel – 74 on-track overtakes
1. Mark Webber – 74
3. Felipe Massa – 65
4. Lewis Hamilton – 55
4. Romain Grosjean – 55

All overtakes, without backmarkers
Disgarding the overtakes on the teams of HRT, Marussia and Caterham
1. Sebastian Vettel – 51 on-track overtakes
2. Lewis Hamilton – 46
2. Mark Webber – 46
4. Felipe Massa – 45
5. Jenson Button – 41

All overtakes, without backmarkers, with equal tires
Disgarding the overtakes on the teams of HRT, Marussia and Caterham
Disgarding overtakes on cars with more than 5 lap older tires
1. Sebastian Vettel – 29 on-track overtakes
2. Jenson Button – 26
3. Mark Webber – 24
4. Kimi Räikkönen – 23
4. Felipe Massa – 23

All overtakes, only on 5 top teams
Counting only overtakes on the teams of Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes
1. Sebastian Vettel – 28 on-track overtakes
2. Lewis Hamilton – 25
3. Jenson Button – 22
4. Kimi Räikkönen – 21
5. Felipe Massa – 16

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 398883&f=1
Sebastian Vettel: "I don't praise myself". I am not Fernando Alonso.

User avatar
ashley313
Posts: 3029
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by ashley313 »

I'll be the first...

"but he was just lucky and had other drivers moving over for him!"

also

"even though we've been saying all season that the RB8 is only fast from the front and pig slow in a straight line, he clearly had the best car"
Last edited by ashley313 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
mds
Posts: 11443
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by mds »

That last one is telling.

It's also the best one, since detractors won't come up with the Toro Rosso overtakes :)
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Iowa'sOnlyF1Viewer
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Iowa'sOnlyF1Viewer »

Wow, didn't realize Massa figured so well. He qualified poorly of course, and that could be said of some others on the list. But he is on the list of overtakes on top 5 teams as well. :thumbup:

kalikarios
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by kalikarios »

I'm suprised Alonso is not on the lists (especially the last one) while Massa is. And he usually started far back on the grid.
In response to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel is being switched-off today.
--Aron Vigushin

User avatar
Blake
Posts: 6819
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Blake »

kalikarios wrote:I'm suprised Alonso is not on the lists (especially the last one) while Massa is. And he usually started far back on the grid.


Massa was usually further back... more opportunity.

Another stat that would be interesting would be over takes from the start. I suspect that is an area you might see Alonso show up on the list.
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Quark
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Quark »

Vettel does not seem to have any flaws. He is the best qualifier I have ever seen, you can always count on him to not make any mistakes in qualifying. He excels when he is under pressure (second half of the 2010 and 2012 season being prime examples). He is an amazing wet weather driver. He can take care of his tires and yet go fast (Weber's tires usually fall off 3-4 laps before his, sometimes more) He is not involved in any controversies and lives for racing. He is the best overtaker if he does not start on pole. He is triple world champion at just 25 and the most successful driver on the grid now that Schumacher has retired. Sebastian Vettel is the best :thumbup:
Sebastian Vettel: "I don't praise myself". I am not Fernando Alonso.

User avatar
Blake
Posts: 6819
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Blake »

ashley313 wrote:I'll be the first...

"but he was just lucky and had other drivers moving over for him!"

also

"even though we've been saying all season that the RB8 is only fast from the front and pig slow in a straight line, he clearly had the best car"


He and Webber did have the best car, ashley... regardless of his passing stats. His good passing numbers don't change that.

I am not discrediting what Vettel did, and usually have not, but you have to admit that helps to overtake when you have the best car, or in the case of Hamilton the fastest car which was also a bit unreliable. Wouldn't you agree?
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Quark
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Quark »

Blake wrote:
kalikarios wrote:I'm suprised Alonso is not on the lists (especially the last one) while Massa is. And he usually started far back on the grid.


Massa was usually further back... more opportunity.

Another stat that would be interesting would be over takes from the start. I suspect that is an area you might see Alonso show up on the list.


Yes, Alonso might perform better if they included over takes at the start, but he still would not be better than Massa, moreover it would be unfair to Vettel and Hamilton because they are such great qualifiers and hence cannot make up any places at the start.
Sebastian Vettel: "I don't praise myself". I am not Fernando Alonso.

User avatar
Rocket_Red
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Rocket_Red »

Note: Vettel started last in Abu Dhabi & went to around 20th in China, Brazil, (10th in SPA)

Hamilton started last in Spain & got into Q3 every race this year

This gives less scope for manoeuvres as there are less cars to pass - it is very difficult to create a list of concrete unarguable stats on overtaking. Say lasy year didn't Vettel have one of the worst overtaking records - but it didn't matter as he usually lead away from pole.

I will say I thought Vettel was pretty awful at overtaking before 2011, but having seen him these past 2 years he is much improved & makes much less errors & more importantly gets the job done quickly.

Vettel may have the most overtakes this year but I reckon Raikkonen was the best. Anyone can sail by others using DRS or dominate HRTs through corners but it's the opertunist moves or the risky moves that I judge the best on. Raikkonen on Schumi at SPA or on Hulkenberg at USA are 2 of several brilliant moves this year. & to be the best you don't make silly errors either
Close doesn't count

JerCotter7
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by JerCotter7 »

Blake wrote:
ashley313 wrote:I'll be the first...

"but he was just lucky and had other drivers moving over for him!"

also

"even though we've been saying all season that the RB8 is only fast from the front and pig slow in a straight line, he clearly had the best car"


He and Webber did have the best car, ashley... regardless of his passing stats. His good passing numbers don't change that.

I am not discrediting what Vettel did, and usually have not, but you have to admit that helps to overtake when you have the best car, or in the case of Hamilton the fastest car which was also a bit unreliable. Wouldn't you agree?


Would you not agree that the Red Bull is slow in a straight in comparison to the other cars? Which is where most overtaking happens.

User avatar
ashley313
Posts: 3029
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by ashley313 »

kalikarios wrote:I'm suprised Alonso is not on the lists (especially the last one) while Massa is. And he usually started far back on the grid.

He only qualified out of the top 10 twice.
Image

Quark
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Quark »

Rocket_Red wrote:Note: Vettel started last in Abu Dhabi & went to around 20th in China, Brazil, (10th in SPA)

Hamilton started last in Spain & got into Q3 every race this year

This gives less scope for manoeuvres as there are less cars to pass - it is very difficult to create a list of concrete unarguable stats on overtaking. Say lasy year didn't Vettel have one of the worst overtaking records - but it didn't matter as he usually lead away from pole.

I will say I thought Vettel was pretty awful at overtaking before 2011, but having seen him these past 2 years he is much improved & makes much less errors & more importantly gets the job done quickly.

Vettel may have the most overtakes this year but I reckon Raikkonen was the best. Anyone can sail by others using DRS or dominate HRTs through corners but it's the opertunist moves or the risky moves that I judge the best on. Raikkonen on Schumi at SPA or on Hulkenberg at USA are 2 of several brilliant moves this year. & to be the best you don't make silly errors either


I think you are missing the part which says "All overtakes, only on 5 top teams, Counting only overtakes on the teams of Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes" Vettel (28 moves) and Hamilton (25) top this list too.
Sebastian Vettel: "I don't praise myself". I am not Fernando Alonso.

MclarenBullet
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by MclarenBullet »

70 of those overtakes were done in Abu Dhabi

User avatar
ashley313
Posts: 3029
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by ashley313 »

JerCotter7 wrote:
Blake wrote:
ashley313 wrote:I'll be the first...

"but he was just lucky and had other drivers moving over for him!"

also

"even though we've been saying all season that the RB8 is only fast from the front and pig slow in a straight line, he clearly had the best car"


He and Webber did have the best car, ashley... regardless of his passing stats. His good passing numbers don't change that.

I am not discrediting what Vettel did, and usually have not, but you have to admit that helps to overtake when you have the best car, or in the case of Hamilton the fastest car which was also a bit unreliable. Wouldn't you agree?


Would you not agree that the Red Bull is slow in a straight in comparison to the other cars? Which is where most overtaking happens.

:thumbup:

Blake - I don't believe there is such a thing as the "best" car. The McLaren had the best pace in qualifying and race trim for most of the year, the Red Bull had the best development, the Lotus was the most consistent, and the Ferrari was the most reliable. All four were cars capable of winning the championship, and that's all that matters.
Image

kalikarios
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by kalikarios »

ashley313 wrote:
kalikarios wrote:I'm suprised Alonso is not on the lists (especially the last one) while Massa is. And he usually started far back on the grid.

He only qualified out of the top 10 twice.


Yes, but he often qualified from 4th to 9th place.
In response to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel is being switched-off today.
--Aron Vigushin

User avatar
ashley313
Posts: 3029
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by ashley313 »

kalikarios wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
kalikarios wrote:I'm suprised Alonso is not on the lists (especially the last one) while Massa is. And he usually started far back on the grid.

He only qualified out of the top 10 twice.


Yes, but he often qualified from 4th to 9th place.

That's not exactly "far back" on a grid of 24.
Image

User avatar
Laura23
Posts: 8767
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Location: London

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Laura23 »

Given how slow that RB is in a straight line it is impressive. Hamilton won't be pleased about it either, he considers himself the overtaking king and for Vettel to take that title from him as well won't go down well.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Senna88
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Senna88 »

Laura23 wrote:Given how slow that RB is in a straight line it is impressive. Hamilton won't be pleased about it either, he considers himself the overtaking king and for Vettel to take that title from him as well won't go down well.


I doubt that he is bothered or even knows unless he has a secret account on here...
Support: Kimi, Lewis, Jenson, THE HULK and Super Kevin Magnussen
Respect: Eyebrow man, Schumi and finally after three long years Sebastian Vettel. Fairplay to the guy he is quick!
Still don't like: Di Resta and his neck glassing team mate

User avatar
Laura23
Posts: 8767
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Location: London

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Laura23 »

Senna88 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:Given how slow that RB is in a straight line it is impressive. Hamilton won't be pleased about it either, he considers himself the overtaking king and for Vettel to take that title from him as well won't go down well.


I doubt that he is bothered or even knows unless he has a secret account on here...

F1 drivers are competitive guys. Little stats like that do bother them. If I was a driver it'd bother me. It's just another thing your rival has come out on top over you on no matter how small it is and Vettel is beginning to rattle Hamilton big time.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

User avatar
ashley313
Posts: 3029
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by ashley313 »

I suspect drivers, like most fans, value the difficulty and consequences of crucial passes over the numbers. I know I always have, in both my sporting careers.
Image

RunningMan
Posts: 5712
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: u.k

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by RunningMan »

Well it does help he went through the field a couple of times this season. Spa, Abu D and Brazil. That's a heck of alot of places made up due to things which could have been avoided.

I don't think other drivers will care much. Vettel won the title and had the most wins, they probably stopped caring after that.
Winter is Coming

User avatar
diablof1
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by diablof1 »

Quark wrote:Vettel does not seem to have any flaws. He is the best qualifier I have ever seen, you can always count on him to not make any mistakes in qualifying. He excels when he is under pressure (second half of the 2010 and 2012 season being prime examples). He is an amazing wet weather driver. He can take care of his tires and yet go fast (Weber's tires usually fall off 3-4 laps before his, sometimes more) He is not involved in any controversies and lives for racing. He is the best overtaker if he does not start on pole. He is triple world champion at just 25 and the most successful driver on the grid now that Schumacher has retired. Sebastian Vettel is the best :thumbup:


nah
Image

User avatar
chican
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Qart-Hadast

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by chican »

Blake wrote:
kalikarios wrote:I'm suprised Alonso is not on the lists (especially the last one) while Massa is. And he usually started far back on the grid.


Massa was usually further back... more opportunity.

Another stat that would be interesting would be over takes from the start. I suspect that is an area you might see Alonso show up on the list.
I've done one similar for you Blake, positions gained per race ;)

Alonso improved 52 places for the 33 of Sebastian Vettel. If it wasn't for Abu Dhabi, Vettel would be very low in that list. Both retired twice so I've only taken 18 results of each one.

Race, *started-ended=difference; cumulative* Alonso on the left columns, Vettel on the right ones.

AUS 12-5 =7***** 6-2 =4
MAL 8-1 =7;14*****5-11 =-6;-2
CHI 9-9 =0;14***** 11-5 =6;4
BAR 9-7 =2;16***** 1-1 =0;4
SPA 2-2 =0;16***** 7-6 =1;5
MON 5-3 =2;18***** 9-4 =5;10
CAN 3-5 =-2;16***** 1-4 =-3;7
EUR 11-1 =10;26***** n/a n/a
GB 1-2 =-1;25***** 4-3 =1;8
GER 1-1 =0; 25***** 2-5 =-3;5
HUN 6-5 +1=26***** 3-4 =-1;4
BEL n/a ;26***** 10-2 =8;12
ITA 10-3 =7;33***** N/a n/a
SIN 5-3 =2;35***** 3-1 =2;14
JAP n/a ;35***** 1-1 14
KOR 4-3 =1;36***** 2-1 =1;15
IND 5-2 =3;39***** 1-1 =0;15
ABU 6-2 =4;43***** 24-3 =21;36
USA 7-3 =4;47***** 2-1 =-1;35
BRA 7-2 =5;52***** 4-6 =-2;33

User avatar
Lt. Drebin
Posts: 4796
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Lt. Drebin »

chican wrote:If it wasn't for Abu Dhabi, Vettel would be very low in that list.


If it wasn't for his excellent overtakings...
The end is near

User avatar
chican
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Qart-Hadast

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by chican »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
chican wrote:If it wasn't for Abu Dhabi, Vettel would be very low in that list.


If it wasn't for his excellent overtakings...
IMHO, it goes against the spirit of the rule being able to change your setup after that penalization. What about those guys who qualified 23rd or 22nd? Why aren't then they allowed to change their gear ratios too?

BTW without the penalty Vettel would've gained around 10-15 positions in that list for the 52 of Fernando.

theman28
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:23 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by theman28 »

He stinks ;)

User avatar
Kolby
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:27 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Kolby »

Blake - I don't believe there is such a thing as the "best" car. The McLaren had the best pace in qualifying and race trim for most of the year, the Red Bull had the best development, the Lotus was the most consistent, and the Ferrari was the most reliable. All four were cars capable of winning the championship, and that's all that matters.

He did have the best overall package. Just look at those qualy times in Singapore and beyond

Singapore - 3

India - 1

Korea - 2

Japan 1
Even the best of drivers crash, stay safe and be responsible!

A2jdl
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by A2jdl »

chican wrote:
Blake wrote:
kalikarios wrote:I'm suprised Alonso is not on the lists (especially the last one) while Massa is. And he usually started far back on the grid.


Massa was usually further back... more opportunity.

Another stat that would be interesting would be over takes from the start. I suspect that is an area you might see Alonso show up on the list.
I've done one similar for you Blake, positions gained per race ;)

Alonso improved 52 places for the 33 of Sebastian Vettel. If it wasn't for Abu Dhabi, Vettel would be very low in that list. Both retired twice so I've only taken 18 results of each one.

Race, *started-ended=difference; cumulative* Alonso on the left columns, Vettel on the right ones.

AUS 12-5 =7***** 6-2 =4
MAL 8-1 =7;14*****5-11 =-6;-2
CHI 9-9 =0;14***** 11-5 =6;4
BAR 9-7 =2;16***** 1-1 =0;4
SPA 2-2 =0;16***** 7-6 =1;5
MON 5-3 =2;18***** 9-4 =5;10
CAN 3-5 =-2;16***** 1-4 =-3;7
EUR 11-1 =10;26***** n/a n/a
GB 1-2 =-1;25***** 4-3 =1;8
GER 1-1 =0; 25***** 2-5 =-3;5
HUN 6-5 +1=26***** 3-4 =-1;4
BEL n/a ;26***** 10-2 =8;12
ITA 10-3 =7;33***** N/a n/a
SIN 5-3 =2;35***** 3-1 =2;14
JAP n/a ;35***** 1-1 14
KOR 4-3 =1;36***** 2-1 =1;15
IND 5-2 =3;39***** 1-1 =0;15
ABU 6-2 =4;43***** 24-3 =21;36
USA 7-3 =4;47***** 2-1 =-1;35
BRA 7-2 =5;52***** 4-6 =-2;33

Well this seems to be more useful stat. :thumbup:

User avatar
Lt. Drebin
Posts: 4796
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Lt. Drebin »

chican wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
chican wrote:If it wasn't for Abu Dhabi, Vettel would be very low in that list.


If it wasn't for his excellent overtakings...
IMHO, it goes against the spirit of the rule being able to change your setup after that penalization. What about those guys who qualified 23rd or 22nd? Why aren't then they allowed to change their gear ratios too?

BTW without the penalty Vettel would've gained around 10-15 positions in that list for the 52 of Fernando.

OK, I see your point and it's OK. But, I think that taking a penalty and starting from box is such and disadvantage, that rules should give you right to work on the car within the rules, changing a thing here and there as much as the rules allow.

Anyway, much more unsportsmanlike was moving Massa 5 places down. I don't think these things can even compare, although both were within the rules.
The end is near

darksides
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by darksides »

Even though he definitely made some good moves this year, most of the overtakes were pumped up by Team Strategy. Right tyres at the right time, right time during the pit window.

Several times he executed gherkin poor moves outside the track and either got penalised or had to give the place back. If he was more patient I'm sure he'd be better.
[[[[Mark Webber for the WIN in 2013]]]
[[[[Mark Webber for the WEC in 2014 and beyond ;)]]]

User avatar
Rocket_Red
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Rocket_Red »

Alonso finished 17 races higher than he started them - 2 he DNFd & the other (Canada) he was 2nd (from 3rd start) before Ferrari got the strategy wrong
Close doesn't count

Haribo
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by Haribo »

Laura23 wrote:Given how slow that RB is in a straight line it is impressive. Hamilton won't be pleased about it either, he considers himself the overtaking king and for Vettel to take that title from him as well won't go down well.

The number of overtakes says nothing about who is the best overtaker
Hamilton overtook less cars , becaue he had not to do it.
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso

swillis
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by swillis »

Started from the back as they didn't put enough go go juice in his car, ended up 3rd. Crashed to the back and managed to get back up to 7th. Two races, 38 passes ... hardly surprising.

User avatar
chican
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Qart-Hadast

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by chican »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
chican wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
chican wrote:If it wasn't for Abu Dhabi, Vettel would be very low in that list.


If it wasn't for his excellent overtakings...
IMHO, it goes against the spirit of the rule being able to change your setup after that penalization. What about those guys who qualified 23rd or 22nd? Why aren't then they allowed to change their gear ratios too?

BTW without the penalty Vettel would've gained around 10-15 positions in that list for the 52 of Fernando.

OK, I see your point and it's OK. But, I think that taking a penalty and starting from box is such and disadvantage, that rules should give you right to work on the car within the rules, changing a thing here and there as much as the rules allow.

Anyway, much more unsportsmanlike was moving Massa 5 places down. I don't think these things can even compare, although both were within the rules.
you have a point,i didn't take into account the massa factor, so I'mdiscounting five places to alonso for the last races.

User avatar
mcdo
Posts: 10289
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by mcdo »

Facinating stuff. Red Bull's dominance towards the end of the season would nearly make you forget the qualy struggles they had earlier in the year.

I would have thought the Ferraris would have done a hell of a lot of overtaking this year but I guess they made most of their places up at the start.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

User avatar
tootsie323
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by tootsie323 »

chican wrote:IMHO, it goes against the spirit of the rule being able to change your setup after that penalization. What about those guys who qualified 23rd or 22nd? Why aren't then they allowed to change their gear ratios too..?
Anyone on the grid is allowed to change the settings - but it does mean that they would also have to start from the pit lane.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

stevey
Posts: 1610
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by stevey »

chican wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
chican wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
chican wrote:If it wasn't for Abu Dhabi, Vettel would be very low in that list.


If it wasn't for his excellent overtakings...
IMHO, it goes against the spirit of the rule being able to change your setup after that penalization. What about those guys who qualified 23rd or 22nd? Why aren't then they allowed to change their gear ratios too?

BTW without the penalty Vettel would've gained around 10-15 positions in that list for the 52 of Fernando.

OK, I see your point and it's OK. But, I think that taking a penalty and starting from box is such and disadvantage, that rules should give you right to work on the car within the rules, changing a thing here and there as much as the rules allow.

Anyway, much more unsportsmanlike was moving Massa 5 places down. I don't think these things can even compare, although both were within the rules.
you have a point,i didn't take into account the massa factor, so I'mdiscounting five places to alonso for the last races.



lol you should also then remove everytime vettel ever had to pass a torro rosso and schumacher in Brazil, is this counting people who get pitted so they dont have to let team mates past or is it on the track only overtakes.

The stats themselves are very interesting but only when you remove the results that are against the norm as they provide a scewed result. Vettel is a damn good driver and overtaker but his natural position is to lead from the front thus preventing him from having to make many overtakes.

Im not really interested in the number of overtakes a person makes, im more interested in their quality when overtaking and Vettel has shown some damn good quality overtakes as well as some not so clever moments just like most of the drivers in the pack.

Can we get results on overtakes not happening in the weak donkey bull fairy cakes overtaking that is known as the DRS Zones

User avatar
racer_nobu
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by racer_nobu »

I wouldn't have thought that Vettel would be tops in all categories but it certainly goes to explain why he ended up winning.

People can come up with all sorts of theories and what-if's to try to discredit these numbers but at the end of the day, the results will be the same after you factor in everything you possibly can (and I'm not saying that's possible).
twitter: @racer_nobu
blog: http://racingvacation.blogspot.com/
Image

User avatar
LITE992
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Interesting fact: Sebastian Vettel Top Overtaker in 2012

Post by LITE992 »

Quark wrote:All overtakes, only on 5 top teams
Counting only overtakes on the teams of Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes
1. Sebastian Vettel – 28 on-track overtakes
2. Lewis Hamilton – 25
3. Jenson Button – 22
4. Kimi Räikkönen – 21
5. Felipe Massa – 16

Deal with it :smug:
Supporter of:

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

Post Reply