So, did the USA "fall in love with F1" today ?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
pg55555

So, did the USA "fall in love with F1" today ?

Post by pg55555 »

Any feedback from US motor racing news or fan sites about whether F1 got the thumbs up ?

rickyf1

Re: So, did the USA "fall in love with F1" today ?

Post by rickyf1 »

I hope so. Was brill. And it looked fantastic.
I love F1.

shay550

Post by shay550 »

I'm really proud of the job they did. I really hope this track will inspire a U.S driver or team to eventually become a part of the F1 fraternity.

going_the_distance

Post by going_the_distance »

No, but Mexico might have. :-P

SWAN

Post by SWAN »

I was really suprised how enthusiastic the Americans seemed...very rowdy cowboy style. Seemed like a big success to me...

going_the_distance

Post by going_the_distance »

Yeah Austin seemed to really embrace F1. Great to see. I've learnt quite a bit about the city thanks to the coverage, keen to visit sometime.

Mister Hotshot

Post by Mister Hotshot »

I would say it was a pretty good success. Get the NJ Grand Prix set up and possibly one on the west coast and F1 in the US should gather a pretty sizable fanbase.

tamalon55

Post by tamalon55 »

Absolutely! Great event. Even better than I expected. Just need the media to get on board and give people the choice between NASCAR and F1

Pedal2DMetal

Post by Pedal2DMetal »

Looked like a huge success to my eyes

Formula1Fan.

Post by Formula1Fan. »

Very good race and very American-style track. Trouble is, the other F1 tracks aren't like that one so I'm not sure if they'll enjoy the other races as much.
We want heroes, but there are few, mainly it's cars - Pedro De La Rosa

Cobalt Blue

Post by Cobalt Blue »

So far the media coverage I've seen has been very positive, very excited/enthusiastic.

Unfortunately, NASCAR just crowned its champion so that will quickly grab the lion's share of the headlines.

Adaemus

Post by Adaemus »

Was thinking about this today, I think it's a bit too far south for many of the media outlets. As someone else suggested, there's no point in F1 going after Nascar fans, that ain't gonna happen, they need to go after more general sports fans.

This track was called the Circuit of the Americas for a reason...they know it's going to be mostly made up of South American fans.

I think the race in NJ needs to happen, NYC is still the media hub of the US and so throwing something like that on their doorstep is bound to open a few eyes.

Pedal2DMetal

Post by Pedal2DMetal »

tamalon55 wrote:Absolutely! Great event. Even better than I expected. Just need the media to get on board and give people the choice between NASCAR and F1

Been reading Yahoo.com (US) this morning and the Austin race is not there :? then I saw 2 Danica Patrick-related news, surprise surprise 8O
just sad

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

From what I've heard from my boss thus far, the venue was amazing, the atmosphere was phenomenal and the race wasn't too bad either.
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

For a change todays race is at the top of the page of ESPN's racing section. Usually you have to dig deep, or already know that they have an F1 specific page to find anything from them.
{Insert clever sig line here}

ashley313

Post by ashley313 »

THe US GP has always been well attended - TV figures will tell us if this race was a "big deal" or not. As will next year's.

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

The crowd seemed to be in love with racing today. They gave big cheers to all 3 drivers at the end and the concession stands sold out of almost everything for every top team.

I don't know if the love affair will last, but many seemed to really enjoy it. The people around me were asking lots of questions, so there was clearly a lot of interest.

We'll see how it goes in the coming years. personally, I probably won't return to Austin - it is a jaunt from California and if I am going to travel and pay all the cash, I'd rather go to Europe and see a race. But, I am a long time race fan - for those who were just getting into it, I could see them returning to Austin next year.

alexa

Post by alexa »

From official CNN page:
"But the German, who was heard to be angry on the team radio after Hamilton passed him, blamed Force India backmarker Narain Karthikeyan for slowing him down at a critical moment of the race."

:D

They are learning, but they will get there :)

The race was great fun to watch

The2012Champion

Post by The2012Champion »

The Yanks fell in love with football (or soccer) in 1994. They loved it, it was very successful.

Then it went away and they forgot about it. Then American Football reclaimed them all. Nascar will do the same, as it always has.

History is cyclical, always repeating the same mistakes, and without a banakable American star, F1 will never make it. To make it on a global scale they need a Tiger Woods, a Pete Sampras/Andre Agassi, a Michael Phelps.

Yes, it is the Circuit of the Americas and close to Mexico, but if Perez or (heaven forbid) Maldonado make it to the top, they'll inevitably get their own Grand Prix and the problem persists. So no, America did not fall in love with F1, they had a lusty, dirty affair that lasted one fantastic night. They both had fun, but they woke up in the morning, nodded and went their respective ways. America went back to her true love, denying the passion they felt for one for the convience for the other, only given their mistress F1 a thought when the relationship is fraught, or they're drunk.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

The2012Champion wrote:Yes, it is the Circuit of the Americas and close to Mexico, but if Perez or (heaven forbid) Maldonado make it to the top, they'll inevitably get their own Grand Prix and the problem persists. So no, America did not fall in love with F1, they had a lusty, dirty affair that lasted one fantastic night. They both had fun, but they woke up in the morning, nodded and went their respective ways. America went back to her true love, denying the passion they felt for one for the convience for the other, only given their mistress F1 a thought when the relationship is fraught, or they're drunk.

I don't think it's a problem if F1 and the USA move into a f**k buddy, enjoying each other once a year, best sort of relationship :twisted: !
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

aeio540

Post by aeio540 »

I was at turn 1 today. Let me tell you that there were a lot, and I mean A LOT of fellow Texans and other Americans there. And yes we had quite a few from Mexico but hey, anyone attending is welcome!

It was packed though, REAL PACKED. Standing room only in some of the turns.

Blake

Post by Blake »

What is meant by the OP?

Well over 100,000 fans were at the race today. Just as there were at Indy for every year. Those fans enjoyed the F1 race, just as they did at Indy every year except the Michelin Fiasco of 2005.

If the OP's question is "did F1 displace NASCAR in the hearts of US racing fans"... the answer is NO. If the question is "did F1 displace NFL football in the hearts of US sports fans"... the answer is NO way.

Did F1 win some new fans in the US today? I am sure that they did, as well as strengthening the bond with the long time US F1 fans.

There is plenty of room for F1 among the US sports fans, and the Austin GP has certainly been a postive step for F1 today. It is possible for US racing fans to enjoy F1 AND NASCAR... honest there is! Today, I was at COTA and loved it. And the first thing I wanted to know afterward was did Brad Keseloski win the NASCAR championship. I am sure I was not the only one there who wanted to know.

One of the neat things about the USGP, be it in Indy or Austin, has been the strong support from Mexico, Central America and South America. Mexico as expected was strongly represented, and oh how they partied! I think that is one of the things I like the most about F1... is the international crowds it brings in.

All-in-all, I would rate the USGP of 2012 a huge success, the track is even more than I would have hoped for, and it wasn't a bad race either! I will get some pics uploaded as soon as I can, and will let you know where you can see them.
:)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

Z3RoadstarTXF1

Post by Z3RoadstarTXF1 »

Just got back from Austin, attending all 3 days... to answer the OP question... a resounding 'no', I had on sports radio for the 3 1/2 hour drive back... 95% NFL, 3% college football, 1% NBA and 1% Nascar... not on 1 mention of the F1 race... not even a quick mention of the result on ESPN radio, the top dog for sports radio in the US.

But you know what?... I don't really care. It's not going to match a popular racing circuit that plays 35 or so weeks a year, and nothing is ever going to compete with the NFL. It would be nice if it got more respect, the respect it deserves... But there is a place for F1 in the US and there is a very large fan base, but unfortunately its discounted because not in the same league as our sporting behemoths.

The presence of fans from Mexico was very noticeable for sure, but the majority of fans were from the US, and very much in love with the sport at the start of the weekend, and even more by the end of the weekend, along with some new ones who came out of curiousity. Among those in my area of turn 3 who were strangers from different parts of the country on Friday and friends by today, the discussion was already next year, what spots might provide better views, etc.

As long as the event is managed well, I believe it will continue to be supported by the fan base here, along with those coming from other countries of the Americas.

For the international fans, please don't mistake the fact that the best seats at our table have already been reserved for other sports, that it means there isn't a place at the table for F1.

ESWF1

Post by ESWF1 »

The2012Champion wrote:The Yanks fell in love with football (or soccer) in 1994. They loved it, it was very successful.

Then it went away and they forgot about it. Then American Football reclaimed them all. Nascar will do the same, as it always has.

History is cyclical, always repeating the same mistakes, and without a banakable American star, F1 will never make it. To make it on a global scale they need a Tiger Woods, a Pete Sampras/Andre Agassi, a Michael Phelps.

Yes, it is the Circuit of the Americas and close to Mexico, but if Perez or (heaven forbid) Maldonado make it to the top, they'll inevitably get their own Grand Prix and the problem persists. So no, America did not fall in love with F1, they had a lusty, dirty affair that lasted one fantastic night. They both had fun, but they woke up in the morning, nodded and went their respective ways. America went back to her true love, denying the passion they felt for one for the convience for the other, only given their mistress F1 a thought when the relationship is fraught, or they're drunk.
This isn't a good analogy though. Soccer (I'm American :] ), has in fact become very popular in the states. It hasn't reached nearly the popularity of something like the NFL, NASCAR or the NBA, but it is steadily finding its base in the USA. There is hope yet for F1, and this track is a great start.
Ben Spies!

d0ubl3sh0t

Post by d0ubl3sh0t »

Got to admit that my first impression of the track the its to narrow and its going to dull and no overtake. But man I'm so wrong. Didn't regret staying up late

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

USA won't fall in love with F1 in near future. But the country is big enough to fill whole COTA for the decade. Do you know that in 2010 during FIFA World Cup Americans were second only to South Africans there!This is big country and even if F1 fans are just few percent, there are still a lot of them.
eeee

theman28

Post by theman28 »

dizlexik wrote:USA won't fall in love with F1 in near future. But the country is big enough to fill whole COTA for the decade. Do you know that in 2010 during FIFA World Cup Americans were second only to South Africans there!This is big country and even if F1 fans are just few percent, there are still a lot of them.

Good point, the country doesn't need to love it. That few % of fans will still pack COTA year in and year out and hopefully it continues to put on a good show.

ashley313

Post by ashley313 »

Doesn't matter how great the circuit or event is. What America needs is GOOD TV COVERAGE of the whole season.

Bakerking31

Post by Bakerking31 »

Short answer ... NO

The race was great, venue great, track great everything is there. But most people in the US didnt even know it was happening or has happened so I cant say anyone other than current F1 fans fell in love with F1 last weekend. Maybe when NBC picks up F1 it may get some better coverage in the US, but if no one knows about the race outside Austin and F1 fans than F1 will never be a top tier sport in the US.

j man

Post by j man »

Sounds to me like the media coverage of the race in the US was poor. Yes the venue was packed but I get the impression that those who attended were already F1 fans anyway. From my perspective from across the Atlantic, it doesn't look like the race has done much to raise F1's profile in the States. Perhaps better timing (i.e. during the NFL off-season and not on a NASCAR race weekend) might have helped? Or maybe we just need to give it some time.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

It was a very good race at a very good track, attended by many good fans.

But I just scanned three of the major US news sources, USA Today, Fox News, and CNN. In all cases there was absolutely nothing mentioned on the front page, or on the first page of the sports news. I had to burrow deeper to find anything about the Austin race. For fans of Formula One and the locals, it was exciting and worthy of discussion. On a national scale, it went basically quiet and relatively unknown.

trento

Post by trento »

Why did F1 fail in Indianapolis but succeed in Austin? Surely there are more racing fans in Indy?

hexen09

Post by hexen09 »

nope, there are a lot of NASCRAP rednecks, who strongly believe that the national motorsport is the only one there is in the world.

Like the girl who didn´t know that Australians speak english for their first language. (Ask Mark Webber)
Alonso
Perez
Hamilton

Bakerking31

Post by Bakerking31 »

trento wrote:Why did F1 fail in Indianapolis but succeed in Austin? Surely there are more racing fans in Indy?

Well they sold the same amount of tickets roughly in both. Bernie just didnt like Indy and didnt like the track layout there. If Bernie gets tired of a track, even if its successful it gets taken off the calendar.

If you want to get US into F1, I have a fairly easy and relatively quick plan for it.

Keep the Austin GP
Scrap the NJ one and replace it with a race at Indy again. This time just do the oval. More Americans are comfortable with oval track racing. It would be the only oval track F1 does for the year and I think it would actually give some good racing, but ohh so different than the teams are used to.

It may not be what Europeans want to see but if you want to get people in the US to fall in love with F1 they have to see the cars first, then they can build on that. It would basically be a way to introduce the cars to the US on a massive scale.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

I thought there was some safety reason the F1 cars couldn't do ovals - the suspensions would need a complete redesign for the sake of one race.
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

trento wrote:Why did F1 fail in Indianapolis but succeed in Austin? Surely there are more racing fans in Indy?

Because the Indy track is owned and controlled by the George family. They make enough money from the Indy 500 ( and now the Brickyard 400 too) to tell Bernie to stuff it when he came demanding more money to host the races. No other track is in that position, to say that they can get along and survive without a Formula One race.

byeo

Post by byeo »

hexen09 wrote:nope, there are a lot of NASCRAP rednecks, who strongly believe that the national motorsport is the only one there is in the world.

Like the girl who didn´t know that Australians speak english for their first language. (Ask Mark Webber)

:lol: I too saw that tweet. It's VERY worrying when you read things like this.

trento

Post by trento »

Bakerking31 wrote:

Well they sold the same amount of tickets roughly in both. Bernie just didnt like Indy and didnt like the track layout there. If Bernie gets tired of a track, even if its successful it gets taken off the calendar.

If you want to get US into F1, I have a fairly easy and relatively quick plan for it.

Keep the Austin GP
Scrap the NJ one and replace it with a race at Indy again. This time just do the oval. More Americans are comfortable with oval track racing. It would be the only oval track F1 does for the year and I think it would actually give some good racing, but ohh so different than the teams are used to.

It may not be what Europeans want to see but if you want to get people in the US to fall in love with F1 they have to see the cars first, then they can build on that. It would basically be a way to introduce the cars to the US on a massive scale.

strange. Can't see anything wrong with the Indy layout. It has the longest straight and a couple of slow sections. Your idea of oval racing is great and actually I think the Europeans would like it as it's going to be unique. After all, there are street races, night races, so why not have just one oval race as an American tradition? It'll be a great success!

trento

Post by trento »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Because the Indy track is owned and controlled by the George family. They make enough money from the Indy 500 ( and now the Brickyard 400 too) to tell Bernie to stuff it when he came demanding more money to host the races. No other track is in that position, to say that they can get along and survive without a Formula One race.

I think in the current economic climate, Bernie has been easier with his deals. I read news reports Bernie did not have it easy negotiating for Singapore's extension. I'm sure if the door is open in Indy, Bernie would jump at it.

hd23

Post by hd23 »

trento wrote:
Bakerking31 wrote:

Keep the Austin GP

strange. Can't see anything wrong with the Indy layout. It has the longest straight and a couple of slow sections. Your idea of oval racing is great and actually I think the Europeans would like it as it's going to be unique. After all, there are street races, night races, so why not have just one oval race as an American tradition? It'll be a great success!

As a one off, it would be a spectacle to see F1 cars racing on an oval. But season after season, no way, that isn't my cup of tea. I'm sure that Bernie would never allow a real f1 race to be conducted on a full oval. F1 was done with ovals many decades ago.