It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:56 pm
Posts: 900
Raikkonen is two races away from accomplishing that. I don't want to jinx it, but that would be quite a feat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:45 am
Posts: 19
One springs to mind straight away, that being Schumi finishing on the podium every race in '02.

I expect there's been others too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:37 am
Posts: 440
Location: San Diego, California USA
yes


MSC in 2002 finished every race and his worst finish was 3rd, and that was only in 1 race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 pm
Posts: 432
If Kimi manages it, would he be the first to have done it without winning the championship in that respective year?

_________________
This is where the party's at.
Webber.Button.Ricciardo.Grosjean.Hulkenberg.Lowndes.Power.Marquez.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Ireland
Nick Heidfeld finished every race in 2008. Although it's quite likely he may have dropped a lap or two from getting lapped by a race leader (I haven't bothered to check).

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am
Posts: 2290
Location: Singapore
mcdo wrote:
Nick Heidfeld finished every race in 2008. Although it's quite likely he may have dropped a lap or two from getting lapped by a race leader (I haven't bothered to check).

Yep. He only crashed out in Singapore 2009.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7796
mcdo wrote:
Nick Heidfeld finished every race in 2008. Although it's quite likely he may have dropped a lap or two from getting lapped by a race leader (I haven't bothered to check).

He was certainly lapped at least once in Monaco in 2008.

_________________
eeee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1434
Location: Wrexham, UK
Ev0lutionz wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Nick Heidfeld finished every race in 2008. Although it's quite likely he may have dropped a lap or two from getting lapped by a race leader (I haven't bothered to check).

Yep. He only crashed out in Singapore 2009.


Yep, and even then it was because Sutil couldn't rejoin a track safetly. Bloody Sutil :P

Good ol' quick Nick.

Still so impressed with finishing on the podium every race of the season, that just blows what Kimi could achieve this season out of the water, though completing every lap of a season is no mean feat in your first year back!

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1737
Kovalainen was pretty close in 2007, but he DNF on the last race.

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 5402
The thing about Kimi is that he will also have finished every lap of the race (not being lapped or being classified as a finisher having stopped on the track).

Of course Schumi managed this but it will still be a great achievement for Kimi - if/when he does it. I hope he does. It's like waiting for a 147 break in snooker. The closer it gets to happening, the more tense it becomes.

When records for successive (points?) finishes were being set in the 80s, Reutemann only managed 15 consecutive finishes across two different seasons, such was the appauling reliability of F1 cars back then.

Length runs of points, podium and race finishes are a relatively new thing (since 2000 ish)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1610
LOL there it is, the Jynx that ends his run


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1821
Michael Schumahcer in 2002? Wiki says he didn't retire and he was on the podium every race so unless there was a weird race where the leader lapped the whole field I'd put that out there.

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:12 pm
Posts: 980
Schumacher 2002, Heidfeld 2008 (2 laps less, 1 monaco 1 brazil), Monteiro 2005 (of course so much much much less lap)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 am
Posts: 679
Rookie Tiago Monteiro I believe has some good records.

Wiki...
Quote:
Currently, the most successful of the quartet is Porto’s Tiago Monteiro, who scored seven points between 2005 and 2006 at Jordan and Midlands respectively. From there, the 35 year old switched his hand to saloon cars and the World Touring Car Championship, where he is now in his sixth season. His time in Formula One may have been short, but he definitely left his mark on the series as in his first season, he set the record for the most race finishes in a season at 18. He still holds this record to this day with Nick Heidfeld also matching this feat. Another achievement that the former Midlands driver shares, is the record for the most finishes in a row for a rookie with Heikki Kovalainen on 16. When asked about how it feels to still hold records in F1, Monteiro told us, “It’s quite exciting and an honour. Very proud of it, it’s important and nice to leave your mark in history.”



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 pm
Posts: 148
Location: London
Mickey19 wrote:
One springs to mind straight away, that being Schumi finishing on the podium every race in '02.

I expect there's been others too.


Montoya ruined an amazing run of Schumi's at Monaco 04

_________________
Professional Motorsport Photographer
Official photographer for www.Current-E.com & eDams, China Racing, Venturi, Mahindra Racing & Amlin Aguri Formula E teams
www.shivrajgohil.com
Tweet Me - @shivyF1
Follow Me - www.facebook.com/shivrajgohilphotos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 2319
shivyf1 wrote:
Mickey19 wrote:
One springs to mind straight away, that being Schumi finishing on the podium every race in '02.

I expect there's been others too.


Montoya ruined an amazing run of Schumi's at Monaco 04


Wasn't that the race where Michael slammed the brakes on in the tunnel? Hardly Montoya's fault.

Schumacher went nearly 4 years without a technical DNF between germany 2001 and Bahrain 2005.

Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:39 pm
Posts: 85
I can imagine how much Kimi cares about achieving this stat...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:39 pm
Posts: 1159
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Kovalainen might have done that on Renault

_________________
..

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Barnsley, England
Banana Man wrote:
Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.


Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
Schumacher finishing on the podium in every race way back in 2002 was huge. The cars were a lot less reliable even then, it was Ferrari who began to set the standard in that field, and being lapped in a race was far easier thanks to the gaps between the fastest and slowest being higher. Not to mention pitstops took longer with fuel.

Kimi however will have done every single lap of the year, if he does it, in a non dominant car though. So it's six and half a dozen as to which achievement is better.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.


Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((


It's simple. Bad luck.

Schumacher went 57 races or something not having a technical DNF, while Barrichello had 7 or something.

This season he's had 5 technical DNF's all the stage of the season where the car is good, and they cost him a lot of points. They would even have cost him the win in Monaco, even if he had been allowed to take up his pole.

If you want to understand this sort of thing I recommend you play poker.

People who say "you make your own luck" have probably never played poker. People who say "it's karma" have DEFINITELY never played poker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 am
Posts: 3193
Ja'a wrote:
Schumacher 2002, Heidfeld 2008 (2 laps less, 1 monaco 1 brazil), Monteiro 2005 (of course so much much much less lap)


Good info., amazing stats; I remember Reutemann's long-standing record; but today the reliability of the cars is far better. Monteiro must have driven so well, considering where he started in the field, and had to get out of the front-runners' way and cope with heavy traffic.

_________________
http://grandprixratings.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Ireland
Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.


Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((

Karma?

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 5:56 pm
Posts: 240
Location: London
mcdo wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.


Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((

Karma?


Racing for McLaren? He's extremely lucky not to have retired for 3 years in a Macca (that was quick as well)!

As for Kimi, even as a Kimi fan, it's debatable as to how much of an achievement it is. He's lucky that he hasn't had any car failures or otherwise (not to say that he hasn't had non-race-ending technical faults...) and his more passive style has helped too. There's a fine balance between being aggressive and passive; between making that killer pass and all hail the mods it up and ending up in the barrier. I also think Kimi has had one eye on the title, especially in the second half of the season and has tried to maximise his points haul by simply finishing races. Just look at Hamilton's needlessly aggressive defence against Maldonado (of all people) in Valencia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1434
Location: Wrexham, UK
mccormickja wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.


Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((

Karma?


Racing for McLaren? He's extremely lucky not to have retired for 3 years in a Macca (that was quick as well)!

As for Kimi, even as a Kimi fan, it's debatable as to how much of an achievement it is. He's lucky that he hasn't had any car failures or otherwise (not to say that he hasn't had non-race-ending technical faults...) and his more passive style has helped too. There's a fine balance between being aggressive and passive; between making that killer pass and all hail the mods it up and ending up in the barrier. I also think Kimi has had one eye on the title, especially in the second half of the season and has tried to maximise his points haul by simply finishing races. Just look at Hamilton's needlessly aggressive defence against Maldonado (of all people) in Valencia.

This again? That's beating a dead horse isn't it, or whatever the phrase is?

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 65
I think Alesi did this when he was at Prost

He was on target to repeat the performance with Jordan in his final season when this happened (very scary nearly got decapitated in his fnal race)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmqhzb_japan-2001-kimi-raikkonen-and-jean-alesi-crash_auto

Some young Finnish fell binned it in front of him ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 10061
jammin78 wrote:
mccormickja wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.


Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((

Karma?


Racing for McLaren? He's extremely lucky not to have retired for 3 years in a Macca (that was quick as well)!

As for Kimi, even as a Kimi fan, it's debatable as to how much of an achievement it is. He's lucky that he hasn't had any car failures or otherwise (not to say that he hasn't had non-race-ending technical faults...) and his more passive style has helped too. There's a fine balance between being aggressive and passive; between making that killer pass and all hail the mods it up and ending up in the barrier. I also think Kimi has had one eye on the title, especially in the second half of the season and has tried to maximise his points haul by simply finishing races. Just look at Hamilton's needlessly aggressive defence against Maldonado (of all people) in Valencia.

This again? That's beating a dead horse isn't it, or whatever the phrase is?

It's a good example in this context, however much it has or hasn't been previously discussed, don't you think?

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7796
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I think Alesi did this when he was at Prost

He was on target to repeat the performance with Jordan in his final season when this happened (very scary nearly got decapitated in his fnal race)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmqhzb_japan-2001-kimi-raikkonen-and-jean-alesi-crash_auto

Some young Finnish fell binned it in front of him ;)

No, he wasn't. He was lapped at least once.

_________________
eeee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am
Posts: 1167
dizlexik wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I think Alesi did this when he was at Prost

He was on target to repeat the performance with Jordan in his final season when this happened (very scary nearly got decapitated in his fnal race)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmqhzb_japan-2001-kimi-raikkonen-and-jean-alesi-crash_auto

Some young Finnish fell binned it in front of him ;)

No, he wasn't. He was lapped at least once.


Bit unfair to say that Kimi binned it! There was an obvious failure on the car lol

_________________
Multi 21 or Catch 22?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1434
Location: Wrexham, UK
Covalent wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
mccormickja wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Gaz wrote:

Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((

Karma?


Racing for McLaren? He's extremely lucky not to have retired for 3 years in a Macca (that was quick as well)!

As for Kimi, even as a Kimi fan, it's debatable as to how much of an achievement it is. He's lucky that he hasn't had any car failures or otherwise (not to say that he hasn't had non-race-ending technical faults...) and his more passive style has helped too. There's a fine balance between being aggressive and passive; between making that killer pass and all hail the mods it up and ending up in the barrier. I also think Kimi has had one eye on the title, especially in the second half of the season and has tried to maximise his points haul by simply finishing races. Just look at Hamilton's needlessly aggressive defence against Maldonado (of all people) in Valencia.

This again? That's beating a dead horse isn't it, or whatever the phrase is?

It's a good example in this context, however much it has or hasn't been previously discussed, don't you think?

I guess, but it wasn't in the second half of the season, and was hardly a "f**k you you're not having my place". But I digress, feel free to discuss :)

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 65
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I think Alesi did this when he was at Prost

He was on target to repeat the performance with Jordan in his final season when this happened (very scary nearly got decapitated in his fnal race)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmqhzb_japan-2001-kimi-raikkonen-and-jean-alesi-crash_auto

Some young Finnish fell binned it in front of him ;)

No, he wasn't. He was lapped at least once.


Bit unfair to say that Kimi binned it! There was an obvious failure on the car lol


Hence the wink!!!

My apologies all I assumed the OP meant finished every racing lap not the race distance


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1821
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I think Alesi did this when he was at Prost

He was on target to repeat the performance with Jordan in his final season when this happened (very scary nearly got decapitated in his fnal race)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmqhzb_japan-2001-kimi-raikkonen-and-jean-alesi-crash_auto

Some young Finnish fell binned it in front of him ;)

No, he wasn't. He was lapped at least once.


Bit unfair to say that Kimi binned it! There was an obvious failure on the car lol


Hence the wink!!!

My apologies all I assumed the OP meant finished every racing lap not the race distance


Theyre synonyms ^

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 65
Volantary wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I think Alesi did this when he was at Prost

He was on target to repeat the performance with Jordan in his final season when this happened (very scary nearly got decapitated in his fnal race)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmqhzb_japan-2001-kimi-raikkonen-and-jean-alesi-crash_auto

Some young Finnish fell binned it in front of him ;)

No, he wasn't. He was lapped at least once.


Bit unfair to say that Kimi binned it! There was an obvious failure on the car lol


Hence the wink!!!

My apologies all I assumed the OP meant finished every racing lap not the race distance


Theyre synonyms ^


Mmm not sure..to my mind the same the race distance is the distance travelled by the winning car (the full quotient of laps of the race). Now if Alesi had been lapped by the race winner he would have completed a lap less than the race distance. He (Alesi) would have still finished ever lap he raced but been stopped from completing the race distance. That was the point I was trying to make and apologising to the OP for misinterpreting...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am
Posts: 2304
Jean Alesi nearly became the first in 2001 when he was driving for Jordan in his final season, but he collected Raikkonen after the Sauber suffered a suspension failure at Suzuka.

_________________
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:56 pm
Posts: 900
To clarify, by every lap of a season, I meant that a driver finished on the lead lap in every race. So Heidfeld's result in 2008, while impressive, does not count. He finished a lap down and four laps down in a couple of races where he was out of the points.

Schumacher's 2002 feat is unbelievable. That was a period when I lost interest in the sport for a while because Ferrari was so superior that there was no excitement. Still, I think if Kimi pulls it off this year, it will rank right up there with MS because Michael started on the front row in 13 out of 17 races and never started lower than 3rd in '02. Plus, he had a car that was much, much faster than any other on the grid (except his teammate who was not allowed to race him).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Posts: 7
I guess if Kimi dose do every lap this season (may not even need to complete every lap to set record), he will set the record for most laps completed in a season, as there were only 17 races in 2002, 20 this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: F1_Ernie, Option or Prime, Schumacher forever#1 and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group