It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 am 

Raikkonen is two races away from accomplishing that. I don't want to jinx it, but that would be quite a feat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 am 

One springs to mind straight away, that being Schumi finishing on the podium every race in '02.

I expect there's been others too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 am 

yes

MSC in 2002 finished every race and his worst finish was 3rd, and that was only in 1 race.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:35 am 

If Kimi manages it, would he be the first to have done it without winning the championship in that respective year?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:08 am 

Nick Heidfeld finished every race in 2008. Although it's quite likely he may have dropped a lap or two from getting lapped by a race leader (I haven't bothered to check).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 am 

mcdo wrote:
Nick Heidfeld finished every race in 2008. Although it's quite likely he may have dropped a lap or two from getting lapped by a race leader (I haven't bothered to check).

Yep. He only crashed out in Singapore 2009.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 am 

mcdo wrote:

He was certainly lapped at least once in Monaco in 2008.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 am 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Yep. He only crashed out in Singapore 2009.

Yep, and even then it was because Sutil couldn't rejoin a track safetly. Bloody Sutil :P

Good ol' quick Nick.

Still so impressed with finishing on the podium every race of the season, that just blows what Kimi could achieve this season out of the water, though completing every lap of a season is no mean feat in your first year back!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 am 

Kovalainen was pretty close in 2007, but he DNF on the last race.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:36 am 

The thing about Kimi is that he will also have finished every lap of the race (not being lapped or being classified as a finisher having stopped on the track).

Of course Schumi managed this but it will still be a great achievement for Kimi - if/when he does it. I hope he does. It's like waiting for a 147 break in snooker. The closer it gets to happening, the more tense it becomes.

When records for successive (points?) finishes were being set in the 80s, Reutemann only managed 15 consecutive finishes across two different seasons, such was the appauling reliability of F1 cars back then.

Length runs of points, podium and race finishes are a relatively new thing (since 2000 ish)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am 

LOL there it is, the Jynx that ends his run

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm 

Michael Schumahcer in 2002? Wiki says he didn't retire and he was on the podium every race so unless there was a weird race where the leader lapped the whole field I'd put that out there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:16 pm 

Schumacher 2002, Heidfeld 2008 (2 laps less, 1 monaco 1 brazil), Monteiro 2005 (of course so much much much less lap)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm 

Rookie Tiago Monteiro I believe has some good records.

Wiki...
Quote:
Currently, the most successful of the quartet is Porto’s Tiago Monteiro, who scored seven points between 2005 and 2006 at Jordan and Midlands respectively. From there, the 35 year old switched his hand to saloon cars and the World Touring Car Championship, where he is now in his sixth season. His time in Formula One may have been short, but he definitely left his mark on the series as in his first season, he set the record for the most race finishes in a season at 18. He still holds this record to this day with Nick Heidfeld also matching this feat. Another achievement that the former Midlands driver shares, is the record for the most finishes in a row for a rookie with Heikki Kovalainen on 16. When asked about how it feels to still hold records in F1, Monteiro told us, “It’s quite exciting and an honour. Very proud of it, it’s important and nice to leave your mark in history.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:09 pm 

Mickey19 wrote:
One springs to mind straight away, that being Schumi finishing on the podium every race in '02.

Montoya ruined an amazing run of Schumi's at Monaco 04

Tweet Me - @shivyF1
Follow Me - www.facebook.com/shivrajgohilphotos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:20 pm 

shivyf1 wrote:
Mickey19 wrote:

Montoya ruined an amazing run of Schumi's at Monaco 04

Wasn't that the race where Michael slammed the brakes on in the tunnel? Hardly Montoya's fault.

Schumacher went nearly 4 years without a technical DNF between germany 2001 and Bahrain 2005.

Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:26 pm 

I can imagine how much Kimi cares about achieving this stat...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm 

Kovalainen might have done that on Renault

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:58 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Hamilton went the first 3 years of his career without a technical DNF before retiring at Abu Dhabi in '09.

Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:05 pm 

Schumacher finishing on the podium in every race way back in 2002 was huge. The cars were a lot less reliable even then, it was Ferrari who began to set the standard in that field, and being lapped in a race was far easier thanks to the gaps between the fastest and slowest being higher. Not to mention pitstops took longer with fuel.

Kimi however will have done every single lap of the year, if he does it, in a non dominant car though. So it's six and half a dozen as to which achievement is better.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:06 pm 

Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Makes you wonder where the hell it all went wrong these past couple of seasons :-((

It's simple. Bad luck.

Schumacher went 57 races or something not having a technical DNF, while Barrichello had 7 or something.

This season he's had 5 technical DNF's all the stage of the season where the car is good, and they cost him a lot of points. They would even have cost him the win in Monaco, even if he had been allowed to take up his pole.

If you want to understand this sort of thing I recommend you play poker.

People who say "you make your own luck" have probably never played poker. People who say "it's karma" have DEFINITELY never played poker.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm 

Ja'a wrote:
Schumacher 2002, Heidfeld 2008 (2 laps less, 1 monaco 1 brazil), Monteiro 2005 (of course so much much much less lap)

Good info., amazing stats; I remember Reutemann's long-standing record; but today the reliability of the cars is far better. Monteiro must have driven so well, considering where he started in the field, and had to get out of the front-runners' way and cope with heavy traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:14 am 

Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Karma?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 am 

mcdo wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Karma?

Racing for McLaren? He's extremely lucky not to have retired for 3 years in a Macca (that was quick as well)!

As for Kimi, even as a Kimi fan, it's debatable as to how much of an achievement it is. He's lucky that he hasn't had any car failures or otherwise (not to say that he hasn't had non-race-ending technical faults...) and his more passive style has helped too. There's a fine balance between being aggressive and passive; between making that killer pass and all hail the mods it up and ending up in the barrier. I also think Kimi has had one eye on the title, especially in the second half of the season and has tried to maximise his points haul by simply finishing races. Just look at Hamilton's needlessly aggressive defence against Maldonado (of all people) in Valencia.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 am 

mccormickja wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Karma?

Racing for McLaren? He's extremely lucky not to have retired for 3 years in a Macca (that was quick as well)!

As for Kimi, even as a Kimi fan, it's debatable as to how much of an achievement it is. He's lucky that he hasn't had any car failures or otherwise (not to say that he hasn't had non-race-ending technical faults...) and his more passive style has helped too. There's a fine balance between being aggressive and passive; between making that killer pass and all hail the mods it up and ending up in the barrier. I also think Kimi has had one eye on the title, especially in the second half of the season and has tried to maximise his points haul by simply finishing races. Just look at Hamilton's needlessly aggressive defence against Maldonado (of all people) in Valencia.

This again? That's beating a dead horse isn't it, or whatever the phrase is?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:25 pm 

I think Alesi did this when he was at Prost

He was on target to repeat the performance with Jordan in his final season when this happened (very scary nearly got decapitated in his fnal race)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmqhzb_japan-2001-kimi-raikkonen-and-jean-alesi-crash_auto

Some young Finnish fell binned it in front of him ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
mccormickja wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Karma?

It's a good example in this context, however much it has or hasn't been previously discussed, don't you think?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 pm 

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

He was on target to repeat the performance with Jordan in his final season when this happened (very scary nearly got decapitated in his fnal race)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmqhzb_japan-2001-kimi-raikkonen-and-jean-alesi-crash_auto

No, he wasn't. He was lapped at least once.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Bit unfair to say that Kimi binned it! There was an obvious failure on the car lol

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 pm 

Covalent wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
mccormickja wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Gaz wrote:

Karma?

It's a good example in this context, however much it has or hasn't been previously discussed, don't you think?

I guess, but it wasn't in the second half of the season, and was hardly a "f**k you you're not having my place". But I digress, feel free to discuss :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:55 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Bit unfair to say that Kimi binned it! There was an obvious failure on the car lol

Hence the wink!!!

My apologies all I assumed the OP meant finished every racing lap not the race distance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:50 pm 

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Hence the wink!!!

My apologies all I assumed the OP meant finished every racing lap not the race distance

Theyre synonyms ^

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Hence the wink!!!

Theyre synonyms ^

Mmm not sure..to my mind the same the race distance is the distance travelled by the winning car (the full quotient of laps of the race). Now if Alesi had been lapped by the race winner he would have completed a lap less than the race distance. He (Alesi) would have still finished ever lap he raced but been stopped from completing the race distance. That was the point I was trying to make and apologising to the OP for misinterpreting...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:51 am 

Jean Alesi nearly became the first in 2001 when he was driving for Jordan in his final season, but he collected Raikkonen after the Sauber suffered a suspension failure at Suzuka.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:39 am 

To clarify, by every lap of a season, I meant that a driver finished on the lead lap in every race. So Heidfeld's result in 2008, while impressive, does not count. He finished a lap down and four laps down in a couple of races where he was out of the points.

Schumacher's 2002 feat is unbelievable. That was a period when I lost interest in the sport for a while because Ferrari was so superior that there was no excitement. Still, I think if Kimi pulls it off this year, it will rank right up there with MS because Michael started on the front row in 13 out of 17 races and never started lower than 3rd in '02. Plus, he had a car that was much, much faster than any other on the grid (except his teammate who was not allowed to race him).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:13 pm 

I guess if Kimi dose do every lap this season (may not even need to complete every lap to set record), he will set the record for most laps completed in a season, as there were only 17 races in 2002, 20 this year.