Schumacher Retiring (breaking news on Sky Sports News)

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
schumisux

Re: Schumacher Retiring (breaking news on Sky Sports News)

Post by schumisux »

wish him the best. he ought to take a management role, would be good for an upcoming team to take him on as advisor.

so it looks like having six champions on the grid this year is a one off... at least for now.

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

As much as it pains me to say it - it's the right thing to do. I don't think I could've coped with another season of disappointment. Monaco and Valencia aside, every race has been an anti-climax, and I look forward to starting 2013 with a completely fresh and neutral perspective.

At least I can finally say I got to see my hero at Silverstone this year. He gave us 3 more years and we should all be grateful for that.

Best wishes Michael.
#KeepFightingMichael

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

I don't see it as a disappointment, these 3 years. He gave us a few moments of brilliance, moments of frustration and also controversy. What else can we ask for?

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Mixed feelings about this. I feel that he should either have remained away from the sport after 2006, or given it a couple more years as he has shown he still has the skills needed to mix it with the young and upcoming talent. Returning for three relatively uncompetitive years only did him harm. I would have loved to see him at least win a few races. He was and is a true legend of the sport and I wish him the best for the years to come.

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Good news. After 3 years of poor performances Schumacher is finally going. What is good about this news is that we get to see young talent get a chance to shine in a top team (Perez to McLaren) with Hamilton moving to Mercedes to fill the seat Michael has vacated. I do feel for all the Schumacher fans who have shared in the disappointment on the previous 2.5 seasons watching Schumacher since his return but he achieved it all the first time around so there can't be too many grumbles.

scuderia_stevie

Post by scuderia_stevie »

I still would have wanted him to stay one more year at Sauber, but hey. Best of luck to Schumi, when I look back to what he's given us in the last 3 years, I at least smile.

"I left him enough room, he got past didn't he."
"We can not drive slower, just to make the races more exciting." Alain Prost

Myoclonic Jerk

Post by Myoclonic Jerk »

awwww noooo no no nono

I loved having him on the grid! .. thats very sad
Foes: 6
Friends: Everyone else

Retro-Virus

Post by Retro-Virus »

Heard it on the radio this morning, on my drive to work. Farewell old friend !
Clark, Senna, Hamilton

Schumi4ever

Post by Schumi4ever »

Goodbye Michael. It was a pleasure to just see you race again. The inner child in me would love to jump and scream to see you take the top step of the Podium again, but given the state of Mercedes perhaps that's just a distant dream.

Thanks for giving me a reason to catch up on the wonderful world of F1. It won't be the same without you, and hopefully i'll still be motivated enough to watch it in 2013, without a driver to truly cheer for. :(

the incubus

Post by the incubus »

PT03 wrote:If he hadn't have been stuck with a dog of a car for 3 years maybe he would have the motivation to stay......If only he'd have come back with another team.

Absolutely and unequivocally this! :tup:

When Mercedes bought BRAWN GP it was a championship winning car which likely was the most enticing element to coming back but more importantly coming back with Mercedes Benz because logically a team with a very tight budget winning the championship earns back a ton of dough in season earnings and then, add the influx of cash, personnel, equipment, and technological power that one would/should expect with anything associated with the brand Mercedes Benz, Michael likely thought he'd have a real chance to come back and be competitive straight away. Sadly that was not to be the case and the car was not very good all 3 years and even this year's gimmicky DDRS was no help though early on the car was decent enough for Rosberg to record a win and Michael put it on pole at Monaco and would have scored well on a few occasions where the team failed him.

The sentimental side of me would have loved to see him reunited with Peter Sauber next year and go out driving his heart out in a real contender. I know it's no guaranty or certainty but "what if?"

a. The car turns out even better
b. Michael feels more motivated and is more focussed
c. The combination turns out to be consistently fast?

The only thing I'm sure of is that for the 2nd time I will go into a season feeling something is missing. :(

Thank you Michael. Your brilliance, determination and dedication brought joy and excitement to the lives of countless millions around the world and you will forever be in our hearts. I hope to one day see a Schumacher F1 Team on the grid. I think the Toyota plant is still there for the taking...

I'm just saying.
Second place is the first loser!

ohwell

Post by ohwell »

:'(

Pole2Win

Post by Pole2Win »

Great news, it means a driver with some potential will get the open seat at Sauber.

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Eva09 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Harpo wrote:Fiki, though belonging to the same Schumacher Fan Club as you, I can't say I disliked his return as much as I disliked his previous F1 stage... And anyway, it allowed to put a few things in perspective (though I don't think it really changed anybody's opinion).

It did that, and I must say, contrary to you, I do think a few people got a more rounded view of how good he really was. Not the casual worshipper, but the more knowledgeable fans of the sport.

"More rounded"? You mean giving someone in his mid-twenties a good run for his money at the age of 43? Not to mention getting pole (but not pole position) at Monaco.

I think he has definitely improved as his comeback has gone on, but perhaps not fast enough to highlight that 3 years will have passed by the beginning of next season, Schumi's reactions are going to be that little bit slower than in 2010.

If you really want to talk about "more rounded", you have to take into account Schumacher's age, and also wait and see how well Hamilton does against Rosberg next season.
As I said before, I never doubted his speed. As for age, why would we have to consider that? You just said his speed was still there, and I agree. He didn't think his age was a factor three years ago, and his team had a seat ready for him, despite his age, which merely needed his signature two weeks ago.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

ohwell

Post by ohwell »

Fiki wrote:It did that, and I must say, contrary to you, I do think a few people got a more rounded view of how good he really was. Not the casual worshipper, but the more knowledgeable fans of the sport.

Interesting. So maybe the 'more knowledgeable' fans of the sport know more than Ross Brawn about F1 to conclude he wasn't really as good as people once thought.

What does Ross know, anyway. Pfft. Calling him Driver of the Century and whatnot. Dumb Ross.

Ratty Mouse

Post by Ratty Mouse »

Mike Shoe is not quick, so retirement is a good choice for him.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

ohwell wrote:
Fiki wrote:It did that, and I must say, contrary to you, I do think a few people got a more rounded view of how good he really was. Not the casual worshipper, but the more knowledgeable fans of the sport.

Interesting. So maybe the 'more knowledgeable' fans of the sport know more than Ross Brawn about F1 to conclude he wasn't really as good as people once thought.

What does Ross know, anyway. Pfft. Calling him Driver of the Century and whatnot. Dumb Ross.

Ever heard of damning praise? The fact is that Brawn didn't waste any time signing another driver. That tells you something. I didn't say Brawn knows less than knowledgeable fans. There's the man, there's the car, there's the team and there's the reason for hiring somebody. 4 distinct things.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

kingsix

Post by kingsix »

I'm really interested which of this drivers will be on top of the sport for 13 years, score 7 WDC's, break all records... take a 3 year brake and at the age of 43 competitively drive again.

Oh wait... i doubt any of them can even get the first part right. Haha.

The loved one around here - Lewis Hamilton is in F1 for 6 years now, barely got 1 WDC, which was down to pure luck anyways! :]

Enough said.

ohwell

Post by ohwell »

Fiki wrote:Ever heard of damning praise? The fact is that Brawn didn't waste any time signing another driver. That tells you something. I didn't say Brawn knows less than knowledgeable fans. There's the man, there's the car, there's the team and there's the reason for hiring somebody. 4 distinct things.

Honestly, I dont think anyone could blame Brawn/ Merc for wanting to sign Hamilton once he showed interest in moving from McLaren. Fact of the matter is he was the only 'top' driver available in case Michael did not feel like renewing his contract.
Opportunity knocks only once, I guess.

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

kingsix wrote:I'm really interested which of this drivers will be on top of the sport for 13 years, score 7 WDC's, break all records... take a 3 year brake and at the age of 43 competitively drive again.

The loved one around here - Lewis Hamilton is in F1 for 6 years now, barely got 1 WDC, which was down to pure luck anyways! :]

Enough said.

:uhoh:

Times like these I wish PF1 had a 'golfclap' emoticon

Jimbox01

Post by Jimbox01 »

kingsix wrote:I'm really interested which of this drivers will be on top of the sport for 13 years, score 7 WDC's, break all records... take a 3 year brake and at the age of 43 competitively drive again.

Enough said.

I agree.

However, people have to understand that's Schumacher's unprecedented success in his earlier career can not be solely attributed to his abilities as a driver.
Without trying to take anything away from his achievements, how many titles would he have won if he hadn't been part of the Ferrari dream team? What if they'd (virtually) banned testing in 1998? What if Byrne and Brawn hadn't joined Ferrari? What if Senna hadn't died? What if the FIA hadn't scewed around with the rules so much? What if Häkkinen hadn't retired? What if there hadn't been a tyre war?

In my own personal opinion, the one thing Schumacher's comeback has demonstrated over and above anything else, is that being the best/most complete driver in the world counts for nothing if you don't have a competitive car and a competent team to support you. Yes there may be the odd occassion where you're able to show what you're capable of, but without the right equipment and support you'll never be a serious contender.

Also, would the FIA/Bernie/FOM ever again allow a team to dominate the sport in the same way Ferrari did?

BTW the cheap dig at Hamilton was childish, unnecessary, and undermines what should have been a perfectly valid point. :)

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

ohwell wrote:
Fiki wrote:Ever heard of damning praise? The fact is that Brawn didn't waste any time signing another driver. That tells you something. I didn't say Brawn knows less than knowledgeable fans. There's the man, there's the car, there's the team and there's the reason for hiring somebody. 4 distinct things.

Honestly, I dont think anyone could blame Brawn/ Merc for wanting to sign Hamilton once he showed interest in moving from McLaren. Fact of the matter is he was the only 'top' driver available in case Michael did not feel like renewing his contract.
Opportunity knocks only once, I guess.
I certainly can't blame them. The man is a bona fide top notch driver.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Jimbox01 wrote: Yes there may be the odd occassion where you're able to show what you're capable of, but without the right equipment and support you'll never be a serious contender.
Strange perhaps, but this comment of yours made me see Luca Badoer break down and cry in my mind's eye. That image says it all, doesn't it?

the incubus

Post by the incubus »

All your points hold no value for me because that's the same as saying what if Senna hadn't joined Williams in 1994?
He did, he crashed, he died, end of his story. 3 Championships is the most he won. Prost was around a bit longer than Senna and even he found it difficult to win 4 Championships and he was on some excellent teams, starting with McLaren, then Ferrari, and then Williams. Had he chosen to stay on with Williams for 1994 he might have also won a 5th championship but it's pointless to debate it because he retired and never drove in F1 again and then with senna's death, Michael had different drivers to concentrate on beating. Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen (when he finally got it right), Alonso, and in between all those, don't forget all the other drivers who were thought to be up and coming superstars who never did much of anything even in decent cars.

People can say what they will and they can talk all they want about how Michael only won because he benefitted from X, Y, & Z but every single F1 driver that has won the world championship had a top car with many advantages. Others had it just as good as Michael but were not able to maintain the winning form throughout the team for whatever the reasons may have been and some hastily jump ship to other teams when it suddenly got tough, rather than stick it out with their teams until things improved.

Some of you make it seem like it was a cake walk for Michael when in fact, he came in had a decent first full season and then won 2 consecutive world championships and then move to a Ferrari that was nowhere near being a dominant force in F1 and in fact was not very good in any capacity at that time. It took 5 long years of hard work for the entire team to finally build a championship contender and whatever little bit the car lacked, Michael more than made up for it. Give the guy the credit he's due and stop thinking up excuses and conspiracy theories as to why you think Michael has attained all his wins and championships because that fact is that he drove his donkey off and beat everyone, enduring injuries, accidents, and even controversy. He is guilty of having committed some undesirable things but he learned and he got better and in the end NO ONE can challenge his records. There is no Ferrari, Ecclestone, FIA, FOM conspiracy because if that were the case, Michael would have more than 7 WDC's.
Second place is the first loser!

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

I'm an MS fan but I honestly never was fully convinced that it was a good ideea to come back in F1 after he first retired. Why? In F1 very small details can determine being fast or slow, using this terminology.
Firstly at MS there's quite a 'big' detail that is the age (and that contrary that he is still pretty fit there's things inside the human body that you cannot control through time, he maybe realised that now), and that over the three years I had time to observe it pretty well, the 'electric' agility, sharp lines were no longer there in totality. But he still was quite a good driver, with his 80-90% of what he was before, he pretty much matched Rosberg's pace overall, whom we'll see how he fast he really is compared to Hamilton.
Secondly, an aspect that I have the impression was not taken into consideration by many people, is the driving style/car setup that a different F1 era demands. As we see driving changes through decades, the driving gets more and more precise and less room for errors or on the other side creativity. This is a chapter that in my view exposed MS a bit of weakness. It was needed for him to make a jump into the setup, to test his adaptability in this area. He probably did tried out different things, but on the outside it still was visible kind of the same behaviour of the car/driving style. And that just doesn't work in these F1 years. Just like maybe we'd see Vettel struggling to be competitive in 90's. Whoever says that these 3 years revealed how fast MS really was in his first part of carrer, really doesn't know how F1 works.
And those combined with the fact that testing sessions were dramatically limited, it exposed MS pretty much at best.
F1 transforms over decades, the mecanism which is needed for competitivness it's never all the same. That's why is very hard for someone to dominate 2 different eras.
For what he delivered on track and his overall assembly of competitivness I still think MS is one of the best drivers of all times, if not the best. He represents the best 'pattern' for a succesful F1 driver. That's the only way to compare drivers, whoever did best in his period, fullfiled the 'combo' of skills needed for that era better than others in their eras.
These 3 years revealed some limitations of his, more in the 'adaptability' side, and probably in the self-knowledge side. It was maybe a journey more beneficial for his own human development. For his whole attitude outside track I started to respect him even more.

On his whole career succes, I can say that I don't believe in luck, I don't believe in favourable circumstances made out of blue for someone. Everything that happens is not randomly, each one gets what he deserves. There's a lot of subjectivity in interpreting different happenings, but the results in the overall image can make us a point.

kingsix

Post by kingsix »

Jimbox01 wrote:BTW the cheap dig at Hamilton was childish, unnecessary, and undermines what should have been a perfectly valid point. :)

The dig at Hamilton was more or less a joke, since there's plenty of cheaper ones on MSC's account around here.
Everyone calling for retirement and what not after the accident with Vergne. I wonder if reaction was same when Hamilton ran in the back of Kimi in the pits (imo incomparably worse).

Even though I was always MSC fan, I always acknowledged another good driver and/or his achievements and respected him. Can't really say that for most of the fans here.

IMO MSC didn't stand out with his speed as much as he did with his commitment, motivation and simply hard work. I haven't heard him bashing his own team once(I think at Merc hat was a and thing - he should) etc. He never gives up, fights for every inch and position on the track, even if things aren't going well. That is why he's my favourite. Almost all drivers these days are mommy's little boys it seems, once things go wrong, they cry.