Apparently Silverstone is utter shambles

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
vikram

Apparently Silverstone is utter shambles

Post by vikram »

From Jakes twitter: Obviously you can make your own decision, but @SilverstoneUK are saying if you are general admission parking/access then DON'T come tomorrow

I was there last year and the pedestrian access was pretty shambolic. This after an upgrade of the facilities is sadly disappointing.

Flash2k11

Re: Apparently Silverstone is utter shambles

Post by Flash2k11 »

The car parks outside of the main ones at the front are still nothing more than muddy fields, and the weather has put paid to those. Im going to Quali tomorrow regardless of said advice but im already imagining just how bad its going to be.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Jinx

Post by Jinx »

OH DEAR LORD!

I just got back from silverstone not too long ago. We didn't even get to go to the circuit...trapped in the pile-up becos of stupid organization. The cops were equally stupid - everywhere was grid-locked becos of the flood and mud. Yet they blocked the highway there so we can't even make any u-turns. They didn't even use their brains to divert traffic and make people u-turn from the back of the road and simply let people continue to pile up car after car. what a joke!

The problem is the camping grounds. they know it's gonna be muddy and yet they still have these camping grounds??? They claimed they could not put tarmac everywhere, so why not have the camping grounds further away from the parking spots or tarmac the camping grounds? Now they pile up the camping people on the parking lots so where are we to park our cars?

These geezers can't even organize this small event properly, how on earth they are going to handle the Olympics? Even China's organization is a gazillion times better! Melbourne was also great and very convenient for spectators. Some of us travel all the way from asia just to attend this event which we can't even get to becos of poor organization? I know we'd never be given one but even a refund doesn't cut it!

Now, I'm wondering if we'll have a repeat of this tmr and I don't even know what time to set off for the circuit as we are staying at a hotel around London. SIGH. My first taste of European organized events and this is by far the worst event I've ever attended. I wasn't even close enough to the circuit to watch the FPs on fan vision. N the best part of it all, when we got back to the hotel, it was hot and sunny! not a drop of rain water on the grounds! A jinx is a jinx is a jinx sorry for the rant, but I'm so tiddled...
FORZA FERNANDO * FORZA FERRARI * FORZA FELIPE

vikram

Post by vikram »

the fundamental problem with silverstone is that its in the middle of nowhere.

NRB78

Post by NRB78 »

Had zero issues getting in as I had the sense to get there early. Getting out took a while but wasn't too bad but I can imagine it was a lot worse for a lot of others as the fields are a right mess. Still gonna try my luck tomorrow at the crack of dawn tomorrow.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

Try finding some backroads through the countryside. Ask some locals. I went last year, driving from Milton Keynes through backroads at around 8AM, skipped all the traffic until we were literally at the cicruit.

Not sure how much that would help this year though.
Winter is Coming

rickyf1

Post by rickyf1 »

Silverstone is one place that always sells out. And they have the rubbish weather to put up with.

How many other GP sell out nearly every year like Silverstone? My guess not many.

I feel sorry for the people that didn't get in and that might not get in tomorrow and sunday.

I hope they can get something sorted for the people that have paid money.

:?
I love F1.

Jinx

Post by Jinx »

rickyf1 wrote:Silverstone is one place that always sells out. And they have the rubbish weather to put up with.

How many other GP sell out nearly every year like Silverstone? My guess not many.

I feel sorry for the people that didn't get in and that might not get in tomorrow and sunday.

haha, the parking and tickets are only a small fraction of the cost issue... people like me paid 4 airplane tickets from asia just to go to this event. Not to mention the hotel bookings. well, first and last time for me... I'd rather spend my money and go to other GPs...

RacingFan1

Post by RacingFan1 »

edit: never mind...

rickyf1

Post by rickyf1 »

Jinx wrote:
rickyf1 wrote:Silverstone is one place that always sells out. And they have the rubbish weather to put up with.

haha, the parking and tickets are only a small fraction of the cost issue... people like me paid 4 airplane tickets from asia just to go to this event. Not to mention the hotel bookings. well, first and last time for me... I'd rather spend my money and go to other GPs...

I totally agree with you and I feel sorry for people like you.

Are you going tomorrow to try get in?
I love F1.

Khazrak134

Post by Khazrak134 »

the queues were really bad. i decided to walk to the track from towcester and the traffic jams went on for miles. i dont think i saw a single car move an inch while walking beside the roads

SnakeSVT2003

Post by SnakeSVT2003 »

Didn't something like this also happen about 12 years ago? I vaguely remember reading about it at the time. What exactly were these "improvements" that were made during the renovation?
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti

Jinx

Post by Jinx »

rickyf1 wrote:
Jinx wrote:

I totally agree with you and I feel sorry for people like you.

Are you going tomorrow to try get in?

Seeing that the organizers already warned us not to go, I guess we should stay in the hotel to watch the quali... I have a feeling they will turn us away on sunday too...

Mint

Post by Mint »

Stay in the hotel and watch the tennis on Sunday. :lol:

-ZeroGravityToilet-

Post by -ZeroGravityToilet- »

Wich begs the question: How the hell can they not make it right if they have the experience...

pjv1990

Post by pjv1990 »

Its a shame because common sense would say reschedule the event for August, like Belgium rescheduled for September in '85 (even though it was different circumstances) because whats the point if the fans cannot make it?

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

I'm sorry, but there is highly unusual weather conditions at the moment, we have just had the wettest June on record, the water tables are high and there has been a huge downpour making the fields totally unusable.

I'm not quite sure people are expecting that they can do, there is not enough space for people to park with the fields shut. When you are co-ordinating the volume of people that attend the Silverstone GP it is impossible for things to be smoothly when events are out of your control. It's a tightly organised event, people flow in and out in a highly controlled manner. Get rid of a sizeable chunk of your carparking space then not only is there not enough space, but it means you can't make things flow in the way they were designed.

I've been to the British GP on 3 occassions, back in 2002 where the organisation was not great, but then again in 2008 and 2009. On those years the organisation was impeccable. You could drive straight in and straight out with a steady flow of traffic, and it rained in 2008. Just not to the levels we have seen in the UK over the last month.

Unless you were to build a dozen motorways and tarmac over half of the surrounding area. And the problem is not that you are in the middle of nowhere, if it was in the middle of a city the problem would be even worse. Dealing with 130,000 people is a huge undertaking. Wembley Stadium only holds 90,000 people and they only turn up for a sort period of time (so are usually only bringing themselves, not camping gear or a coldbox fulll of supplies for the day) You either have to travel into London on the train and use public transport, drive in and get public transport, or sit in gridlock London traffic. You could say that people can leave Wembley quite quickly, but that's only as far as the tube station, which is not a like for like situation.

If things were like they are today at Silverstone under normal circumstances, then people would have plenty of right to complain. But the level of rain we've had has brought flooding across the country and set records for rainfall. Ideally they would postpone the event, but the F1 calendar is not flexible like it used to be - and there is nothing stopping the cars from going around the circuit so it would not satisfy any reasons that would be acceptable for the FIA or FOM to postpone it, even if it was not so close to the event.

Bahrain last year is the only race to get postponed in recent F1 history, and that was due to massive political unrest. And even though it eventually got cancelled, there was still a lot of doubt as to whether it could get fitted back in should the situation in Bahrain have improved. And Bahrain was the first race of the season, if Silverstone postponed the race, it would not take place this year.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

pjv1990 wrote:Its a shame because common sense would say reschedule the event for August, like Belgium rescheduled for September in '85 (even though it was different circumstances) because whats the point if the fans cannot make it?

What would that achieve? The problem is the weather is usually not very predictable, and this year, the weather is very very wet. We've had flood warnings all over the place. June set records for being the wettest etc. Usually July, whilst not as hot as lets say Spain, isn't usually this wet. It's usually alot dryer.
Winter is Coming

Rocket_Red

Post by Rocket_Red »

Park & Ride works well - Park a few miles away, get on bus, skip queues get there on time, leave, skip queues.
Close doesn't count

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

I traveled from 30 miles away this morning, I queued in my car for a total of about 15 minutes and was sat in the Abbey grandstand with a bacon roll and coffee at 8:30. There were no queues to show tickets at the gate whatsoever. I enjoyed a full day of racing and circuit-seeing, I left the circuit at 19:30 and, following a brief look at a map and the full extent of my journey options, was at my hotel about 15 miles away from the circuit by 20:30 - having been to the supermarket on the way.

The first half of FP2 was dull, but all other F1, plus GP2, GP3 and historic F1 was awesome, and it was an absolute pleasure seeing all these different formulas giving it hell through the Abbey chicane with varying levels of downforce/grip/rain/standing water. This is the sixth consecutive year I've been for a full Silverstone weekend, on top of a handful of practice/qualifying/race days in the mid-1990s, and today was amongst the best Fridays I've had at Silverstone.

It's evident that many suffered today, but I was not one of them. Tomorrow, however, might be a different story. And I do not plan on being a Silverstone absentee.

RickM

Post by RickM »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:I'm sorry, but there is highly unusual weather conditions at the moment, we have just had the wettest June on record, the water tables are high and there has been a huge downpour making the fields totally unusable.

And we still have a friggin hosepipe ban in the South East! x(

IF you're at Silverstone (or near it already) you'd be stupid to not try and get in tomorrow. The issue isnt oversold tickets, its parking. They dont want more cars there.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:I'm sorry, but there is highly unusual weather conditions at the moment, we have just had the wettest June on record, the water tables are high and there has been a huge downpour making the fields totally unusable.

I'm not quite sure people are expecting that they can do, there is not enough space for people to park with the fields shut. When you are co-ordinating the volume of people that attend the Silverstone GP it is impossible for things to be smoothly when events are out of your control. It's a tightly organised event, people flow in and out in a highly controlled manner. Get rid of a sizeable chunk of your carparking space then not only is there not enough space, but it means you can't make things flow in the way they were designed.

I've been to the British GP on 3 occassions, back in 2002 where the organisation was not great, but then again in 2008 and 2009. On those years the organisation was impeccable. You could drive straight in and straight out with a steady flow of traffic, and it rained in 2008. Just not to the levels we have seen in the UK over the last month.

Unless you were to build a dozen motorways and tarmac over half of the surrounding area. And the problem is not that you are in the middle of nowhere, if it was in the middle of a city the problem would be even worse. Dealing with 130,000 people is a huge undertaking. Wembley Stadium only holds 90,000 people and they only turn up for a sort period of time (so are usually only bringing themselves, not camping gear or a coldbox fulll of supplies for the day) You either have to travel into London on the train and use public transport, drive in and get public transport, or sit in gridlock London traffic. You could say that people can leave Wembley quite quickly, but that's only as far as the tube station, which is not a like for like situation.

If things were like they are today at Silverstone under normal circumstances, then people would have plenty of right to complain. But the level of rain we've had has brought flooding across the country and set records for rainfall. Ideally they would postpone the event, but the F1 calendar is not flexible like it used to be - and there is nothing stopping the cars from going around the circuit so it would not satisfy any reasons that would be acceptable for the FIA or FOM to postpone it, even if it was not so close to the event.

Bahrain last year is the only race to get postponed in recent F1 history, and that was due to massive political unrest. And even though it eventually got cancelled, there was still a lot of doubt as to whether it could get fitted back in should the situation in Bahrain have improved. And Bahrain was the first race of the season, if Silverstone postponed the race, it would not take place this year.

Agreed - I don't know what people expect the organizers to do. Try and by the land off local farmers and concrete other swathes of Northampton just in case we get another load of freak weather in 30 years time? The road links into the circuit are usually perfectly fine too. Been there a few times in the dry and never had to queue much.

Nephilist

Post by Nephilist »

mikeyg123 wrote:

Agreed - I don't know what people expect the organizers to do. Try and by the land off local farmers and concrete other swathes of Northampton just in case we get another load of freak weather in 30 years time? The road links into the circuit are usually perfectly fine too. Been there a few times in the dry and never had to queue much.

Playing devil's advocate here, but if they are dealing with 130,000 people then that is going to be 130,000 tiddled off people if they haven't got a plan in place for heavy rain. For instance alternative parking/camping away from the event with buses shuttling everyone in and out?
It's difficult to believe they can't put some procedures in place beforehand for this type of eventuality especially when it has happened before.
Always finish what you

mac_d

Post by mac_d »

Wow, that's bad. I'm glad I wasn't able to make it this year now.

Thought I'd have been there last night (get there Thursday) so probably avoided a lot of hassle.

Alienturnedhuman

Nephilist wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Playing devil's advocate here, but if they are dealing with 130,000 people then that is going to be 130,000 tiddled off people if they haven't got a plan in place for heavy rain. For instance alternative parking/camping away from the event with buses shuttling everyone in and out?
It's difficult to believe they can't put some procedures in place beforehand for this type of eventuality especially when it has happened before.

But this isn't just "heavy rain" - this is down to the continual heavy rain and flooding. Silverstone can deal with rain, as it did in 2008, but the climate has been extreme. You don't expect the water table to be too high and flooding to be taking place only three months after the government was talking about turning off the water supply to the houses and having everyone getting their water from stand pipes in the street.

But even assuming that wasn't the case, how do they distribute the information to people? Most people don't bother to check the Internet, they would have left hours ago and most people would be convinced they could get closer anyway and ignore the advice.

vikram

Post by vikram »

if it was not in the middle of nowhere, there would be decent public transport connections...which would mean less cars on the road.

the roads leading up the track are pretty narrow and too many people turn up in cars.

Alienturnedhuman

vikram wrote:

if it was not in the middle of nowhere, there would be decent public transport connections...which would mean less cars on the road.

the roads leading up the track are pretty narrow and too many people turn up in cars.

What are you talking about? There is a dual carriageway all the way to the track and they open both sides to go one way when it comes to leave the track.

Nephilist

Post by Nephilist »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Nephilist wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

But this isn't just "heavy rain" - this is down to the continual heavy rain and flooding. Silverstone can deal with rain, as it did in 2008, but the climate has been extreme. You don't expect the water table to be too high and flooding to be taking place only three months after the government was talking about turning off the water supply to the houses and having everyone getting their water from stand pipes in the street.

But even assuming that wasn't the case, how do they distribute the information to people? Most people don't bother to check the Internet, they would have left hours ago and most people would be convinced they could get closer anyway and ignore the advice.

I understand all that. So they can't have car parks further away with signs and road blocks and buses to shuttle people in? It's a sensible question, with that many people it seems prudent to have a contingency plan for worst case scenarios.
Always finish what you

Denorth

Post by Denorth »

Nephilist wrote:I understand all that. So they can't have car parks further away with signs and road blocks and buses to shuttle people in? It's a sensible question, with that many people it seems prudent to have a contingency plan for worst case scenarios.

sorry, you underestimate how wet/flooded it is in UK now. closest dry area is probably West Berkshire - something like 2 hour drive in a car on normal day.

Edit: and the quantity of the cars on the roads in addition to those going to the GP. I read somewhere that it is around of 60,000 vehicles on the move for British GP: cars, supplies, coaches etc.
We are worse than animals, we hunger for the kill
We put our faith in maniacs the triumph of the will
We kill for money, wealth and lust, for this we should be damned
We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

minchy

Post by minchy »

Just to add my thoughts to this discussion, from my past experience at Silverstone, the camping and car parking did seem pretty unorginised even in ok weather. I don't know if the fields are owned ny the circuit or local farmers, but they do need tarmac parking and actual roads around the camp site with with drainage and designated plots (but I guess that's for another discussion)

I have to say that with all the fuss about the new wing and facilities it makes me a little angry that nothing has been improved for the 'regular' fans. Its not just the orginisation of this years event that should be questioned, as alienturnedhuman said, it's exceptional circumstances, but the whole circuit from a spectators point of view. I can go to an event at croft just down the road from me and get exactly the same facilities as supposedly the best circuit in the country with everything being half the price.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

Davidbl

Post by Davidbl »

The car parks at Silverstone are just NOT car parks. They are basically fields, and with vehicles on them any rain would make them like mud slides!

If they want to improve Silverstone they need tarmac or concrete for all of the car parks!
Last edited by Davidbl on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swarth

Post by Swarth »

i really wish they would find a better circuit for formula one. there are plenty of them in England

infi24r

Post by infi24r »

I don't understand why they dont use an army of buses?

lamo

Post by lamo »

Silverstone does have solid parking for about 7,500 cars. Pre 2000 disaster that was probably less than 1,000.

Here is a map, how many places in the world have car parked on concrete for 40,000 cars?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp= ... p&ct=image

Sutton

Post by Sutton »

Etting a coach from hotel to track and back today and tomorrow. Delayed yesterday coming down.

I've been waiting 19 years for this better get in ok!!!

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

Is traffic an issue at every track? Getting back to the hotel from the Sepang after the race this year took 5 hours. It was awful.

Jinx

Post by Jinx »

lamo wrote:Silverstone does have solid parking for about 7,500 cars. Pre 2000 disaster that was probably less than 1,000.

Here is a map, how many places in the world have car parked on concrete for 40,000 cars?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp= ... p&ct=image

shanghai circuit is all tarmac parking - that's why I'm disgusted that even the Chinese can do it better than the English! And they even built the trains stations for the trains to go all the way to the circuit.

On another issue, how do we pre-book park and ride when we never knew about such a thing? the fact I'm asking now is probably too late.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Nephilist wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Nephilist wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I understand all that. So they can't have car parks further away with signs and road blocks and buses to shuttle people in? It's a sensible question, with that many people it seems prudent to have a contingency plan for worst case scenarios.

What land do you think they should use? What happens to the mass of concreted over fields the rest of the year? Seems a bit selfish to spoil part of the British country side so that once every few decades motor racing fans are not inconvenienced.

Jinx

Post by Jinx »

mikeyg123 wrote:
What land do you think they should use? What happens to the mass of concreted over fields the rest of the year? Seems a bit selfish to spoil part of the British country side so that once every few decades motor racing fans are not inconvenienced.
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

going by what you said, it is also wrong to build the circuit there - 6 km worth of tarmac for people to race in. The point is, if u want to organize such "world class events", u have to make sure people who paid money to see the "world class" spectacle should expect nothing more than "world-class" experience. if the damn circuit is only used once a year, and that makes it selfish to "spoil" the land, then dun host it there. Now, there isn't even an avenue for people to attend unless you have this and that nonsense. What kind of stupidity is this?

fitjiffa

Post by fitjiffa »

Jinx wrote:OH DEAR LORD!

I just got back from silverstone not too long ago. We didn't even get to go to the circuit...trapped in the pile-up becos of stupid organization. The cops were equally stupid - everywhere was grid-locked becos of the flood and mud. Yet they blocked the highway there so we can't even make any u-turns. They didn't even use their brains to divert traffic and make people u-turn from the back of the road and simply let people continue to pile up car after car. what a joke!

The problem is the camping grounds. they know it's gonna be muddy and yet they still have these camping grounds??? They claimed they could not put tarmac everywhere, so why not have the camping grounds further away from the parking spots or tarmac the camping grounds? Now they pile up the camping people on the parking lots so where are we to park our cars?

These geezers can't even organize this small event properly, how on earth they are going to handle the Olympics? Even China's organization is a gazillion times better! Melbourne was also great and very convenient for spectators. Some of us travel all the way from asia just to attend this event which we can't even get to becos of poor organization? I know we'd never be given one but even a refund doesn't cut it!

Now, I'm wondering if we'll have a repeat of this tmr and I don't even know what time to set off for the circuit as we are staying at a hotel around London. SIGH. My first taste of European organized events and this is by far the worst event I've ever attended. I wasn't even close enough to the circuit to watch the FPs on fan vision. N the best part of it all, when we got back to the hotel, it was hot and sunny! not a drop of rain water on the grounds! A jinx is a jinx is a jinx sorry for the rant, but I'm so tiddled...

Yes,.brilliant organisation. Going to silverstone but staying in london.