Fernando Alonso - I applaud you

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
MistaVega23

Fernando Alonso - I applaud you

Post by MistaVega23 »

You have to admit it - he is without doubt the best driver in F1 at the moment.

Turning a Ferrari that handled as ugly as it looked into an outright championship-leading car after six races certainly takes some skill - regardless whether this season has an outright leading contender or not.

Although I am - and always has been - a Schumi fan, you simply cannot ignore the effort this guy has put in since the launch of the arguably worst Ferrari in the last 20 years.

I think his performances have been rather overshadowed by a.) the unpredictability of every race so far this season, b.) two new winners and c.) the end of domination by Vettel and Red Bull. So I thought I'd chip in with some appreciation for the guy.

Take a bow Fernando :thumbup: Respect where respect is due.
#KeepFightingMichael

F108

Re: Fernando Alonso - I applaud you

Post by F108 »

Not the fastest driver out there, but by far the most consistent and thats what really matters. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'd be perfectly fine with him winning the WDC.
Last edited by F108 on Tue May 29, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Räikkönen - Vettel

Balibari
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Post by Balibari »

I'll argue that the Ferrari is no slower than the RB, Lotus or Macca in an average race situation, but there's no arguing Alonso is something special. Whether he's driving any better than Hamilton at the moment is hard to say, but he's been exceptional this year. When you take everything into account he's the leader of the pack right now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

Baqer Senna SS

Post by Baqer Senna SS »

I admire Villeneuve Senior and Junior very devilish Gilles Villneuve senior a DEVIL>

trullifan97

Post by trullifan97 »

Maybe the car was never as bad as Ferrari suggested? Maybe their claims that the car was bad was just an excuse for not being able to fight for a win in Australia. Maybe Massa is just crap?

:twisted:

rawsushi

Post by rawsushi »

Balibari wrote:I'll argue that the Ferrari is no slower than the RB, Lotus or Macca in an average race situation, but there's no arguing Alonso is something special. Whether he's driving any better than Hamilton at the moment is hard to say, but he's been exceptional this year. When you take everything into account he's the leader of the pack right now.

While the Ferrari was not that slow, especially in race trim, it was incredibly difficult to drive. It was a car that would change its handling characteristics drastically even within a single stint, let alone a full race. It could be driven fast enough to achieve the results Alonso did, but it was with extreme difficulty. I for one never doubted Massa's speed, but he just couldn't drive such a difficult car, while Alonso could.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

Alonso single-handedly turned the Ferrari into the competitive car it is now. True story.

Hakkattack

Post by Hakkattack »

[quote="MistaVega23"]You have to admit it - he is without doubt the best driver in F1 at the moment.

Turning a Ferrari that handled as ugly as it looked into an outright championship-leading car after six races certainly takes some skill - regardless whether this season has an outright leading contender or not.

Although I am - and always has been - a Schumi fan, you simply cannot ignore the effort this guy has put in since the launch of the arguably worst Ferrari in the last 20 years.

I think there have been a few Ferrari's much worse than this years... Such as last years and 2009's

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

dunno if I would say it is the worst car in 20 years.

They hand some bundles of scrap in the 90's
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

F108

Post by F108 »

The 09' was the worst in recent years, It looked so good IMO though.
Räikkönen - Vettel

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Looks like Ferrari's coming into its own now, but it was pretty bad at the start of the season and Alonso got the best out of it. It's not such a bad car anymore and in race trim it can keep up with the frontrunners.

Greg92

Post by Greg92 »

Alonso deserves plenty of praise for his season but I'd invite his ardent fans to not overdo it because the counteraction will be proportionate and therefore over the limit as well.

Next race we may easily see at least one of three other drivers top Alonso if not all the three of them. Can you imagine the field party at Alonso’s and his fans’ expense if that happens?

What will be the excuse then, that the car let him down? But then, if Alonso is responsible for turning a Ferrari that handled as ugly as it looked into an outright championship-leading car after six races, why isn’t he responsible for turning his car to a third best after one race? Or by the same token, should we credit Hamilton, Webber and Vettel for doing a better job in a fortnight than Alonso?

I’ve long realized that a huge part of the overboard criticism towards a driver in this forum is a direct consequence of overboard praise. Ironically, the opposite is quite true as well and that’s why oftentimes we see threads locked in a vicious circle where people try to outdo the previous criticism or praise.

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

falb wrote:Alonso deserves plenty of praise for his season but I'd invite his ardent fans to not overdo it because the counteraction will be proportionate and therefore over the limit as well.

Next race we may easily see at least one of three other drivers top Alonso if not all the three of them. Can you imagine the field party at Alonso’s and his fans’ expense if that happens?

What will be the excuse then, that the car let him down? But then, if Alonso is responsible for turning a Ferrari that handled as ugly as it looked into an outright championship-leading car after six races, why isn’t he responsible for turning his car to a third best after one race? Or by the same token, should we credit Hamilton, Webber and Vettel for doing a better job in a fortnight than Alonso?

I’ve long realized that a huge part of the overboard criticism towards a driver in this forum is a direct consequence of overboard praise. Ironically, the opposite is quite true as well and that’s why oftentimes we see threads locked in a vicious circle where people try to outdo the previous criticism or praise.

If you look closely you will notice that none of the posters in this thread (except maybe rawsushi, I don't know for sure) are Alonso fans per se.

However I agree with you. I have supported Alonso ever since he started racing but I almost never post in an Alonso thread because of the same reason.
Apparently religious people didn't like my signature, hah! Don't read it if you are so offended by it.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Balibari wrote:I'll argue that the Ferrari is no slower than the RB, Lotus or Macca in an average race situation, but there's no arguing Alonso is something special. Whether he's driving any better than Hamilton at the moment is hard to say, but he's been exceptional this year. When you take everything into account he's the leader of the pack right now.

I would argue differentl,y maybe not by so much now but certainly for the first 4 races.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

I think he (and Hamilton :twisted: ) have been the class of the field this season so far.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Fishy

Post by Fishy »

I always get irritated when someone says that the Ferrari is such a dog of a car and Fernando is the second coming. The car was never as bad as people were making it out to be and before you mention Massa, arguing the condition of the car in comparison between him and Alonso is stupid.

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

Fishy wrote:I always get irritated when someone says that the Ferrari is such a dog of a car and Fernando is the second coming. The car was never as bad as people were making it out to be and before you mention Massa, arguing the condition of the car in comparison between him and Alonso is stupid.

Oh come on you only had to look at how hard Alonso was having to drive it in Oz to see how bad it was.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Johnston wrote:
Fishy wrote:I always get irritated when someone says that the Ferrari is such a dog of a car and Fernando is the second coming. The car was never as bad as people were making it out to be and before you mention Massa, arguing the condition of the car in comparison between him and Alonso is stupid.

Oh come on you only had to look at how hard Alonso was having to drive it in Oz to see how bad it was.

Yep in oz it was definitely slower than Mclaren, Red Bull, Lotus, Mercedes and Williams. making it at best the 6th best car. For Ferrari that's pretty bad.

Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Johnston wrote:

Maybe in Australia they struggled slightly but were the 3rd best car. From then on the car has had performance to be at the top. Massa has just not been able to showcase this

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Fishy wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Maybe in Australia they struggled slightly but were the 3rd best car. From then on the car has had performance to be at the top. Massa has just not been able to showcase this

Mercedes, Mclaren, Red Bull, Lotus, Williams all lapped faster in the race.

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

Fishy wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Not in every race. Alonso is working the car hard. It's maybe not as bad a Massa makes it look. But it is certainly not as good as Alonsos performance would suggest.

I would say Monaco was the first race it actually looked a genuine contender .

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

He has been driving very well this season. The Ferrari in my opinion was only bad for the first 4 races. The fact that they came away from those races "only" 10 points off the lead says it all about how much crap they knew they were in.

However, you can't put the credit solely on Alonso. The Ferrari trackside operations in my opinion have been the class of the field so far this season. Their pitstops are brilliant and the the strategy has been perfect every race so far.

The situation has changed now. The car is becoming more and more competitive race by race. They seem to have fixed part of their issues regarding traction, Montreal will tell us if they have solved the top speed issues.
Winter is Coming

Cool_Citrus

Post by Cool_Citrus »

Just about everyone that watches F1 and is not blind, has to admit that Fernando is easily one of the best, if not the best driver on the grid, even if you don't like the guy.

And, even though I'm not a huge fan of him, I admire his driving style, and never give up attitude.
Sauber Mclaren

AravJ

Post by AravJ »

He is leading WDC with what has been at best the fourth fastest car on average over the season.
He should not be called "consistant".
Consistant sounds safe where as he has been outdriving the car
He is a genius.
You can just never counting him out from winning or podiun in a slower car
He is fast becomming the next Schumi

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

AravJ wrote:He is leading WDC with what has been at best the fourth fastest car on average over the season.
He is a genius.

As much as I don't like him. I think driving skills. He's always been better than schui.

carlisimo

Post by carlisimo »

The car’s gotten better, but look at how it was qualifying during the first races – Alonso qualified in 12th, then 9th place twice. Massa was even farther back. Granted qualifying has never been Alonso’s strongest point, but that was bad. Intelligentf1.wordpress.com pointed out early on that a lot of Alonso’s laps in Australia were 0.5s off his best pace. He’s usually very consistent lap to lap, so that implied a difficult car to drive. I would argue that it WAS a bad car until China or Bahrain.

It’s a pretty good car now.

Herbalist

Post by Herbalist »

Alonso has been great but Ferrari have been quite lucky with the first few races and a lot of things went their way. I think Alonsos Oz performance was fantastic, looking at the onboard shots that car looked really scary to drive with way too much snap oversteer in corners. Malaysia was special and the Ferrari was the fastest on inters. Loads of purple sectors during that period and that won him the race(he still drove fantastic, i don't think anyone but Hamilton could do that).

In Oz the car was around 6th fastest, but he still drove it to a 5th place, IMO that was his greatest performance this year.

I have no idea how good the car is now, but if Ferrari does well in Montreal, two vastly different tracks, then i'll start believing we have a good car.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fishy wrote:
Johnston wrote:

And Perez got the fastest lap in Monaco. Was the Sauber the best car?

zyphro

Post by zyphro »

What's the say it wasn't competitive the whole time? Felipe Massa has started showing up.

First race was a dog, second race was Alonso mastering the art of the strategy. Other than that, I don't really see a case.

That's not to say Alonso isn't a great driver (definitely very consistent), I think it's blown out of proportion somewhat.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Toby. wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Fishy wrote:
Johnston wrote:

And Perez got the fastest lap in Monaco. Was the Sauber the best car?

Lapped faster consistently. For example Maldanado chased Alonso to the flag before crashing. If Maldanado is quicker than Alonso then the Williams is faster than the Ferrari.

Jinx

Post by Jinx »

with the way he's driving and the way the team is supporting him in strategy, development, pit-stops, etc. I don't see why Alonso would not win the WDC this year. It's his to lose, for sure! And he and his team have certainly worked hard to deserve it!
FORZA FERNANDO * FORZA FERRARI * FORZA FELIPE

kimisdabest

Post by kimisdabest »

Are you Baquer Senna?

zedd

Post by zedd »

AravJ wrote:He is leading WDC with what has been at best the fourth fastest car on average over the season.
He is a genius.

Alonso is the one driver on this grid (apart from Schumi who is a great) who can be compared to the greats. He is more complete than any other driver on the grid. Vettel has made the case but needs some more time just to meet the test of time - think he is the only one on the grid who can match or beat Alonso and it is going to be a fascinating tussle for greatness between the two. 2010 was one epic battle and there is more to come.

Great article on Alonso by James Allen
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/05/how-is-alonso-leading-the-championship-with-that-car-and-what-happens-next/
Among other things talks about how Alonso is adapting his driving style to the new Pirellis based on what he has learnt in the earlier races.

"Expert observers at the weekend noted that Alonso had the right technique for driving the Pirelli supersofts, which can get easily damaged by spinning the wheels on corner exit. Alonso seemed to have appreciated that and was getting the cars straight before hitting the throttle, thus looking after them better."

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/05/how-vettel-and-alonso-came-close-to-winning-in-monaco/
"Understanding that the tyres needed clear air to run in, Fernando Alonso dropped back from Lewis Hamilton in the opening stint of Sunday’s race, in order to preserve the tyres. He was also practising a technique on the supersoft tyre which gave him better tyre life on a stint: the super soft doesn’t like wheelspin out of slow corners (longitudinal slide) and it doesn’t like it combined with lateral sliding. Alonso was straightening the wheels before applying the throttle, taking a little less out of his tyres at every corner than some of the others. This paid dividends at the end of the opening stint."

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

Didn't a certain Jenson Button write off Alonso's chances a few weeks ago? :lol:

Here it is.
Winter is Coming

McStenty

Post by McStenty »

You could see how happy he was with getting 3rd at Monaco. Before the race he said that Ferrari were aiming for a podium finish, and he did just that.

I think that Alonso is the only driver to who can make reasonable targets for himself and meet them, and even regularly exceed them. Last year he was fighting for 2nd in the WDC in easily the third best car, and was fighting for the WDC the year before in what I considered also the third best car.

I don't like Fernando as a person, but he is undoubtedly the best driver out there.
I'm in a band...

carlisimo

Post by carlisimo »

McStenty wrote:I don't like Fernando as a person, but he is undoubtedly the best driver out there.

If it helps any, he seems to have grown up. Everyone on the grid has, now that I think about it. Now we need some new young drivers to annoy us with their childlike attitudes.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

carlisimo wrote:
McStenty wrote:I don't like Fernando as a person, but he is undoubtedly the best driver out there.

If it helps any, he seems to have grown up. Everyone on the grid has, now that I think about it. Now we need some new young drivers to annoy us with their childlike attitudes.

Maldonado.
Winter is Coming

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

RunningMan wrote:
carlisimo wrote:

Maldonado.

He said child like not schizophrenic. :lol:

Jiggs

Post by Jiggs »

Johnston wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
carlisimo wrote:

Maldonado.

He said child like not schizophrenic. :lol:

:thumbup: :lol:

King1982

Post by King1982 »

Alonso is not a worry... :lol:
http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/3478/76 ... ot-a-worry

I LMAO reading that post back... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Racing, competing, it's in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I have been doing it all my life and it stands out above everything else" Ayrton Senna