It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:53 pm 

^True, I wouldn't be worried at all about their pace. Clearly they've made an improvement from last year and they are fighting for podiums this year, once they get their act together. You can't seriously judge them by Nicos performance today, He didn't to good at all and his performance doesn't reflect the true pace at all. Also Lotus are also very quick, at least in quali, looking at Kimis times trough the race they don't seem nearly as good as in quali, but we don't know yet. Mercedes are the 3rd fastest team, just behind Redbull.
1.Mclaren (good race and quali pace)
2.Redbull (good race pace, not so good quali pace)
3.Mercedes (good quali, race not so good? at least in Nico's hands)
4.Lotus (good quali pace, not sure about race pace, Kimi had hard time getting past the Saubers)
5.Ferrari (mostly race pace and judging by Alonso's driving, with Massa they are behind Sauber)

7 Time WDC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:22 pm 

All this hype about DRS duct is useless, Brawn was right when he said its not a game changer like the diffuser. They have the same issues they had last year and I see them struggle this year too, they simply have not found any solutions to the heating issues and tyre degradation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:34 pm 

I guess for them to be competitive, they will have to think outside of the box when it comes to strategies. Maybe three stoppers, or try to make the hard compound work better on their cars.
Bt then again in other tracks where tire degradation is less, they might have a chance on the podium.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:58 pm 

schumi8 wrote:
All this hype about DRS duct is useless, Brawn was right when he said its not a game changer like the diffuser. They have the same issues they had last year and I see them struggle this year too, they simply have not found any solutions to the heating issues and tyre degradation.

You're right. Maybe the heating problem is causing high tyre degradation. They don't seem to have any problem with the front tyres. In contrary, rear tyres :( - fairy cakes - Degradation is very high. I'm making vague assumption here, but the gills actually tell us something, not a genuine solution at all. What's going on? - Bloody hell, why couldn't they find a solution? - Mercedes & AMG >>> :( - I'm very disappointed. Looks like MERC can only build good engines, but when it comes to package, pile of fairy cakes only!

I hope they change something.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:51 pm 

Actually Merc doesnt has heating issues...they didnt had gills in the race...

The pic of chassis we saw was a spare chassis :)

Btw Mercedes has Aldo Costa (who jonied the team few months ago) if anyone can lower their tyre degradation...than that's him.

Remember how he went with Ferrari to a extreme with tyres in 2011...degradation was so low that they couldnt even heat the tyres on optimal temperature :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:32 pm 

Here are the laptimes someone posted on other site...

Laptimes:

Lap 1 isnt included...

Rosberg:

Schumacher:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 pm 

Aduka wrote:

Btw Mercedes has Aldo Costa (who jonied the team few months ago) if anyone can lower their tyre degradation...than that's him.

Remember how he went with Ferrari to a extreme with tyres in 2011...degradation was so low that they couldnt even heat the tyres on optimal temperature :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amazingly, I think that Ross Brawn has been thinking about that all the weekend!!! Hopefully the solution is not complicated and Mercedes will soon sort out its tyre hunger!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:57 am 

The verdict so far has been is that its the same miserable car with some gizmos to hide its real shortcomings. Shines for a brief time and fades away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:33 am 

Ross Brawn

He added: "Despite excellent starts, both Michael and Nico had difficulties from the start of the race with their tyres.

"With the development of the circuit and track temperatures, we fell out of the working window and struggled with degradation. So we need to look at what happened today, unravel the problem and work out where we need to improve."

I think I have been hearing about tyre issues for 2 years now, the only thing I keep hearing is we will solve it and I have seen none. Renault have outclassed them and even an ailing Ferrari is beating them fair and square. To hell with your tire degradation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 pm 

Nico on Autosport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98187

Like Ross says; Onwards and upwards! Was Michael struggling as Nico with his tyres or was it mostly his gearbox?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:47 pm 

smlbstcbr wrote:
Nico on Autosport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98187

Like Ross says; Onwards and upwards! Was Michael struggling as Nico with his tyres or was it mostly his gearbox?

Both were strugglin from lap 1...

Compare their times with Red Bull and Mclaren times...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:05 pm 

Not sure why everyone is putting down Mercedes. The car has optimized the DRS period better than any other car which means better qualy and easier DRS-assisted overtakes. I don't know about you but I'd rather see Schumacher qualify in the top 2 rows and then go backwards to 5th, 6th or 7th than see him qualify 12th and fight to get up to 5th. Being close to the front, means avoiding rookies and inexperienced drivers, means cleaner starts since melees usually start from the midfield and further down, and also means being able to take advantage of the mistakes and mishaps of the front runners.

As for pace, while not great, at least the car is better. They aren't a match for McLaren or RedBull yet but they can fend off Lotus and Ferrari.

As for tires, again, not as good as McLaren and especially RedBull, however, better than Ferrari and probably Lotus and let's not forget that Hamilton experienced problems so maybe someone like Schumacher could once in a while take advantage of that.

All in all I'd say I'm happy with Mercedes with year considering the past two; they have pace, they're bringing some innovation and they are fighting in the front instead of the midfield. Obviously I'm focusing on MS as a fan of his because I don't really consider Rosberg much of a heavy fighter or a complete driver but let's not discount him either, I suspect he will become a major player this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:17 pm 

Aduka wrote:

In fact, the reason why they didn't use the gills is because the temperature was low (23-26 Deg). In Sepang things will be different (if it doesn't rain). And if it rains, they won't be able to use the F-DUCT (so called) innovation at all. What a waste of money?! - They'd better of spending their money on Tire & Heating problems. :(

All and all, tire eater or not, I'm disappointed. I though this year might give the chance to Schummi for a farewell fight, seems like they won't.

DRS F-DUCT innovation clearly seemed to be working only in Qualifying sessions. If this innovation becomes fully legal, RedBull, McLaren & Ferrari will develop their own version, which will leave Merc even farther fighting with ToroRosso, Force India, Williams & Lotus : :? - So disappointed!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 pm 

The drivers look pretty pleased with the car, and it does look a lot better than last year. Give them a chance! I heard on Rai (italian station) that they've got a few upgrades to put on already...not sure though.

But still, it looks much better than last year, be positive!

Ciao Jules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 pm 

if you re-watch the melbourne g.p, on lap 5 we are on board with vettel who is behind schumacher, were only 5 laps in and both on the same tyres but you can see schumis car is very loose compared to vettels, even following very closely vettel has more downforce and grip, so imo merc are nowhere near rb's and maccas race pace. I think quali flatters them and race sees them going backwards unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:24 pm 

AwesomeDave wrote:
if you re-watch the melbourne g.p, on lap 5 we are on board with vettel who is behind schumacher, were only 5 laps in and both on the same tyres but you can see schumis car is very loose compared to vettels, even following very closely vettel has more downforce and grip, so imo merc are nowhere near rb's and maccas race pace. I think quali flatters them and race sees them going backwards unfortunately.

Absolutely true. I don't know why Brawn didn't come up with similar Exhaust Exit geometry ideas like McLaren's & Reds did?

It's such an irony when they accuse Brawn for the latest innovation, yet they again twisted around the rules to use blown exhaust pipes! - Pussayys!

I'm gonna wake up at 03:00 clock to watch the first practice session. :D -I hope it doesn't rain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:01 pm 

Now I wouldnt mind if Mercedes have gills too :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:15 pm 

schumi8 wrote:

Who's Sam Michael shouting at?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:17 pm 

To all above who says that Mercedes car is a tire eater, read this.
Quote:
"A lot of talk has been going on over the last couple of days about the degradation levels that Mercedes suffered in the race. However, it is clear to me, that this is not exactly the case. Sure, Mercedes’ problems originated from their tyres, and they were unable to showcase their pace in the race. -
*insert graph here*
-As you can clearly see, in both Schumacher’s and Rosberg’s case, the tyres didn’t suffer from extreme degradation – they just never worked. Their opening laps on each stint were not fast at all, and the laptimes didn’t increase dramatically throughout the stint; they rather remained level, and slow. This tells us that Mercedes failed to hit the operating temperature window for their tyres, and we guess is that the conditions were too cool for them. Apparently, they never managed to inject the tyres with as much heat as required, and as a result the car was sliding around more." From: http://abulafiaf1.wordpress.com

Read the rest from his website if you're interested.

7 Time WDC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:22 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
schumi8 wrote:

Who's Sam Michael shouting at?

He had a sleepless night

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:51 am 

A new vent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:52 am 

Mercedes body work always look so unfinished and crappy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:27 am 

rewas wrote:
To all above who says that Mercedes car is a tire eater, read this.
Quote:
"A lot of talk has been going on over the last couple of days about the degradation levels that Mercedes suffered in the race. However, it is clear to me, that this is not exactly the case. Sure, Mercedes’ problems originated from their tyres, and they were unable to showcase their pace in the race. -
*insert graph here*
-As you can clearly see, in both Schumacher’s and Rosberg’s case, the tyres didn’t suffer from extreme degradation – they just never worked. Their opening laps on each stint were not fast at all, and the laptimes didn’t increase dramatically throughout the stint; they rather remained level, and slow. This tells us that Mercedes failed to hit the operating temperature window for their tyres, and we guess is that the conditions were too cool for them. Apparently, they never managed to inject the tyres with as much heat as required, and as a result the car was sliding around more." From: http://abulafiaf1.wordpress.com

Read the rest from his website if you're interested.

Agreed. They have a strong car but were not able to get the performance due to tyres not working in the race last week. It was so frustating :x

People are saying the car has not improved are either ignorant or just silly. The car is a big step forward. Having said that results should show. I expect a strong weekend this time. Probably Mclaren and RBR will be ahead. But they should still fight for podium. There is lot of speed in the car. Hopefully this time tyre issue will be normal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:51 am 

As far as my memory goes the tyre degradation issue has been there on all pre season practice and even from last year there seems to be no genuine solution yet. I do not see them coming up with any miracle for tire issues in Malaysia. It's a long standing issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:40 am 

schumi8 wrote:
A new vent.

From what i've heard saw thats driver-cooling vent.....Mclaren has the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:10 am 

What a disastrous race from the team yet again so far (lap 31/56) - proving they're more or less useless at anything they do in the race.. I don't call it bad luck at all, except for Michael being clipped by the Lotus on lap 1..

Where's the genius of Ross Brawn when he hasn't called in either of his drivers at the right time today for change of tyres? And what about sounding so confident about having done their homework about race-pace and tyre degradation - looks like they're even worse this time.. Rosberg gets overtaken back to back with no grip whatsoever, despite having been told after his pit stops to look after them until they switch to slicks..

This team needs to sit down after the race, stop being overconfident about their DRS thing (appreciate the innovation, but doesn't help when you only get overtaken) and concentrate on the important things for once..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:52 am 

That sucks!!!! :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:02 pm 

It more than 2 years with the same stupid problem with the tires. Willis, Bell, Costa, Brawn and the car is still pathetic. Absolutely no chnages with pit strategy I was expecting Inters and Dry much much earlier for Schumi and it was the weaker teams stellaing the show on pit strategies. Pathetic strategy by schumis crew were they sleeping in the garage after all the crappy developments they made over the tyre degradation issue?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:57 pm 

One word: disappointment. And it seems that Daimler is ready to cut off Mercedes F1, otherwise they would had agreed to sign the new Concorde Agreement.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 pm 

In season testing is the only hope left

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:03 pm 

I just realized that last year Mercedes had 2 points after the first 2 races, courtesy of MSC, with a double DNF in Australia and a ninth place finish for Schumacher and 12th for Rosberg in Malaysia.

This year Mercedes has 1 point after the first 2 races, again courtesy of MSC, with practically a double DNF in Australia and a tenth place finish for Schumacher and 13th for Rosberg in Malaysia.

Uncanny and sad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:40 pm 

Schumi just hoped his company with Brawn could recreate some magic, the script didnt go according to plan. Only some sportsmen like Henry are meant to live a dream.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:38 pm 

i m fed up with reading everywhere about the legality of this duct that is being used by mercedes.

Especially when its coming from teams whom are under performing this season.
C Whiting said twice that the device is legal, but still the likes of Red Bull, Renault(or Lotus), & Ferrari are not convinced.
I also wonder about the legality of Red Bull exhausts. Is it going to become one of those seasons were teams will be fighting it out in the technical departments, rather than on the track ?
Is R Brawn going to retaliate with evidence of other teams using off throttle gases ?

Didnt Red Bull last season get away with enough ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:43 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17588028

That's just pathetic - it's irritating how Horner and his squad fail to appreciate any innovation and make it seem like nobody else except their team is capable of bringing in anything new that are within the rules. After Charlie having confirmed his side twice already, what is the need to "reassess" the wing again for a third time?

It either shows the incompetent culture that RBR as a team promote, or just reinforces the overconfident unsporting attitude that Christian Horner has always been known for..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:31 am 

Horner will try everything to regain the lost ground, Mercedes are unbeatable in qualy and, very probably, race (until now, we've had two freak races, nothing very clear yet). Red Bull will disappear if they don't deliver more results like 2010 and 2011, Mateschitz has stated that very clearly. Mercedes seems to be in a long term commitment in F1 and, with certainty, will agree later in the year with Bernie, they are just playing hard with him and I believe that shows Mercedes are very confident about the W03. Once the car delivers race pace (which seems plausible, given that Nico's tyres were like new, so that says the car can be set up to eat or to save tyres, hopefully Costa and Willis will bring balance to that very soon), they will be able to negotiate more comfortably their terms with Bernie, it is just a matter of time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:39 am 

Mercedes are going to disappear into the tail end of the grid if their "F-duct" or watever that is called is banned. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:54 am 

No, actually...Red Bull want F-duct banned mostly cause it cant be used by their car.

By my logic...F-duct and RB flexible Fwing...cant work together...their function is opposite to each other...having both will make a mess out of the car..

They knew if F-duct doesn't gets banned, all other teams will get it in matter of time...which will make them a underdog in QF's..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 am 

What with the idea of tyre degradation problems being a myth is there a chance that the W-duct boost is bigger than we realise and the car just is not very good?

What I don't get is that they did some race simulations in testing and they were very decent. No one predicted their race pace to be almost at the back of the midfield.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 am 

5 teams conplaining about the wing staller now -FIA are gonna ban i reckon-they do need to make up there mind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 pm 

I see what this is. It's merely an attempt from Horner, Et Al, to mess up with Mercedes' development focus. Because they know for sure that, if Mercedes' comes up with a solution to the tyre overheating/underheating problem and the W-Duct system, W03 will literally fly. I'm pretty confident that even McLarens will be put up to stake. Qualy is and will be good, race pace even if it's slightly even with the system, they'll overtake very easy, and lets face it, overtaking Schummi will be very hard I say it to you.

So let's just wait and see over the following races how things play out.