It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 am 

They had a so much time to bring new solutions to the heating issues and they seem to have done nothing about it, absolutely nothing. The same gills are back again in 2012 and they call this car an improvement :x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:55 pm 

I think the panic is not justified, there are only two small gills where the paint was burning. If it was an important issue, the gills had to be much larger and more numerous. Plus, it looks this is a definitive package, just look closely, the gills are more separated at the top than to the bottom, it looks like they are taking a small advantage of the hot air coming out the gills.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:46 am 

Some suggest the gills might actually disrupt the air flow into their alleged DDD if it is real in the first place, none of the top 3 teams seem to have gills this seems to be an amateur solution that they just dont seem to come up with a solution yet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:23 am 

Gills :o

Yeah.....thats bad pretty bad.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 am 

Well 2 interesting articles here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 68245.html

This compares the testing times and race times of 2011 and shows the relative improvements teams have made since 2011. Well read the article, the team named clean is sauber (google translate, sauber is clean in German). It also seems Mercedes is quite good in race pace. What does this show? Well at least it seems Mercedes have improved a lot in pace. Will this translate to the races? Only time will tell.

Second article is this one:
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/03/1 ... -wing-drs/

Shows how Mercedes' front wing could possibly be operated by their DRS as the rumours suggest.

Things are looking better for Mercedes. They might possibly have leapfrogged Ferrari according to a lot of more knowledgeable people than me. I hope this is true and that Ross Brawn and the team are only being rather safe than sorry in interviews. Rather being surprisingly quick than overoptimistic and slow again. We will know soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 am 

Mercedes F-Duct system is given GREEN light by FIA. :lol: :thumbup:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98035

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 pm 

According to the confirmation by FIA, the F-duct is a reality after all. Thats cool, I thought such a system never existed and it was all rumours.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:18 pm 

I am not sure there were any overheating concern. They said reliability and the car is good so now just getting the performance out of the car and improving the package thorought the year is the challenge. They should definitely be looking at podiums and fighting for wins this year. No more excuse :x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 pm 

Seems everyone is talking about mercedes stalling the rear wing in conjunction with DRS.
Im guessing this will have mega drag reduction to the back and make the mercedes faster in the forward direction.

They had one of the strongest engines last year and Ive read its going to be quick.

Hopefully this new car, couples to the driving skill and racecraft of michael schumacher will see some wins for the champ this year :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:45 am 

Seems like the gills were missing today

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:23 pm 

I hope those gills stay away, hopefully it was not the case of not being used today because it was raining today and the conditions were cooler.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:30 pm 

schumi8 wrote:
I hope those gills stay away, hopefully it was not the case of not being used today because it was raining today and the conditions were cooler.

Or they have brought them just in case of high temperatures..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:42 pm 

I am hoping they are never used regardless of conditions, because if they still have heating issues their car might probably catch fire in Abu Dhabi and Baharain :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:46 pm 

Do we know if the Merc will be running with F-Duct in Australia?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm 

trickmonkey wrote:

From what i know they wont...but could be a lie..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:08 pm 

Aduka wrote:
trickmonkey wrote:

Why wouldn't they? "DRS-activated F-duct", certainly caught the eye in the paddock during the first two practice sessions in Australia on Friday." - From PF1 main site.
So yes, they are running the "F-Duct" here, obviously.

7 Time WDC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:17 pm 

rewas wrote:
Aduka wrote:
trickmonkey wrote:

Why wouldn't they? "DRS-activated F-duct", certainly caught the eye in the paddock during the first two practice sessions in Australia on Friday." - From PF1 main site.
So yes, they are running the "F-Duct" here, obviously.

Yar I read it from somewhere that they won't be using, that's why I thought it's weird.
Let's see if they open their DRS 56% of the time during qualy then we would know...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 pm 

I don't think the whole car is designed around the hyped F-duct, it looks like this car has been designed very carefully in every detail I can imagine and I remember Brawn saying that "he does not know what a car for Michael is, he just knows what a good car is". SO, if this car has not got any major issues, then Mercedes have found the key to performance-oriented developing from now on, which I hope it's true.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:10 am 

Its good to see Michaels team being in the limelight, been sometime :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 am 

Thank you Brawn. We're back. Just make sure we dont let Lotus do wat they did to us today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:25 am 

Best Quali ever, Michael 4th and Rosberg would've been up there too without that one mistake but still Schumi was faster :o
Mercedes will be very fast during race too, judging by the high fuel runs and race sims they will be fighting for podium, maybe 2nd or 3rd? Faster than Lotus at least, not quite Mclaren pace and Redbull is now a question mark...

Bring on the race!

7 Time WDC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:28 am 

Drivers letting Mercedes AMG down. :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:31 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:

You're quite frustrated, aren't you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:34 am 

zaar wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

You're quite frustrated, aren't you?

Hahah, looking at "Mercedes-Benz's" sig, I think we all know which teams' drivers (well driver too be precise) let the team down :twisted:
(his sig) v
"
Code:
http://www.kimiraikkonen.com/forum/index.php

7 Time WDC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:50 am 

lol. Especially after 1-2 in Q2 neither of them making top3 was really disappointing. The car is good. Drivers din't do perfect job but tomorrow is more important. MS has to get podium. His best is 4th after his return and Nico too needs to do well.

PS: Kimi had a bad day and hopefully not much of a steering problem. But he will fight tomorrow.

Last edited by Mercedes-Benz on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:56 am 

nice to see michael back where he belongs at the sharp end, well done mercedes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:58 am 

The commentator did say that the track temperature dropped in Q3 when they were doing the second run, if I remember correctly.

They did the first run with used soft tires (5 laps old at least), and the Macca boys did that with fresh tires. While I don't know how much track temperature differ between the first and second run during Q3, I wouldn't bee too disappointing with 4th and 7th for the first qualifying session of the year.

Tomorrow is what it counts and I am confident about our boys. Schumi looks confident to throw the car around the corner to the limit, and let's not forget that the incoming races in Malaysia and China will feature very long straights, especially in Malaysia where we have long straights and some fast corners, and the Mercedes F-Duct might truly shine there during qualifying.

I'm keeping my finger crossed for tomorrow :D

Now that Schumi could smell some blood, he would definitely go for the kill :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:38 am 

I think Mercedes-Benz have done a solid job over the winter. They have made a step. But, we as fans should be a bit cautious. Their 'step' seems to be down a lot to the use of the DRS. They won't have that edge in race trim. I'm optimistic it won't. But i'm not getting overly excited.

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:42 am 

With Schumachers starting skills I expect a minimum of a podium tomorrow.

For all we know all the nay say could have been the team sand bagging.

They had the ultimate pace for pole today, it didn't come together but I expect Mercedes to continue to develop.

Its difficult to say right now but I think its a car capable of poles and wins with a superb drive. It should have even more advantage on tracks such as China and Malaysia.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:12 am 

History repeats I guess. :( - High tyre degradation on longer runs! What a shame for Merc. They haven't been able to correct this problem even after 3 years of re-debut.

It's too early of course to make any predictions, but just to see Rosberg struggling towards the end, I can see that the Old Mercs' (W01 & W02) habits still remain.

Here is my predictions for this season's pecking order:

1. McLaren (or Redbull)
2. Redbull (or McLaren)
3. Ferrari
4. Mercedes or Lotus (E20's Tyre degradation was pretty low and tidy, pity for Grosjean. Pace not good enough though.)

NO IMPROVEMENT. Mercedes, with a sh...t load of money and nowhere to be near the front!

:(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:28 am 

Yeah very disappointing. They were looking so good until today :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:33 am 

GicaEric wrote:
History repeats I guess. :( - High tyre degradation on longer runs! What a shame for Merc. They haven't been able to correct this problem even after 3 years of re-debut.

It's too early of course to make any predictions, but just to see Rosberg struggling towards the end, I can see that the Old Mercs' (W01 & W02) habits still remain.

Here is my predictions for this season's pecking order:

1. McLaren (or Redbull)
2. Redbull (or McLaren)
3. Ferrari
4. Mercedes or Lotus (E20's Tyre degradation was pretty low and tidy, pity for Grosjean. Pace not good enough though.)

NO IMPROVEMENT. Mercedes, with a sh...t load of money and nowhere to be near the front!

:(

Ferrari 3rd? Did you even watch the race or quali? Alonso is the only thing that saved Ferrari from looking worse than Sauber. And Mercedes has made good progress compared to last year, just the fact that Schumi qualified 4th and Nico 7th with a mistake just proves it, remember last year? Austalian GP? How did they do back then?
Schumi had the race pace too compared to Nico, he was able to keep Vettel behind him and would have finished maybe 5 without his car braking down. Nico obviously wasn't having the best day, so we can't judge Mercedes' performace just by looking at Nico's race.

7 Time WDC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 am 

The second we got to the race the Mercedes pace seemed to evaporate. I have no idea why that was. Vettel was all over Schumacher and Rosberg was holding Webber and Alonso up.

That is a real shame too because they looked so promising in quali. It might have just been Nico's pace and comfort with the car.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:43 am 

I also would have liked to see if Vettel could get past Schumacher on track, that would have been an amazing fight to watch. But we didn't get to see it.

Hopefully the Bull's are weak in Quali again this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:05 pm 

The same old car that keeps going back during the race :( What Crap!!!! The disappointment is its worse than an ailing Ferrari

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:15 pm 

I agree with you 100% shcumi8. What a dissapointment!! W03 seems to be "good" in quali only because of the S-Duct/DRS combo, but its race pace sucks and it eats tires! What good is the S-duct/Drs combo in races when you are ALWAYS behind the other car for more than 1 second preventing you from using it in the first place?!?! My prediction:

1st Mclaren
2nd Red Bull
3rd Lotus
4th Ferrai
5th Mercedes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:20 pm 

They could learn something from Renault such huge improvement. Dont know what they do with so much resources to use?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:21 pm 

One positive that the Merc seems to have brought from last year is that cars behind find it hard to overtake on the straights.

Even with the DRS, the Merc seems slippery in a straight line and this coupled with the engine power is a big plus point for me.
Its a new car so I hope theres plenty of nobs and screws that they can adjust to find the perfect setup.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:32 pm 

Why is everyone saying the F duct or W duct is only helping them in qualifying. Albert Park is not even having a proper straights. It hardly makes much difference. Even Ross Brawn said if other things it is useful they can try. The car has been strong throught the testing, practice and qualifying. Today was horrible. It has to do something with tyres :?

Let us see what happens next week :x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:41 pm 

I think they've got a great baseline. They had good speed at the beginning of the grand prix, once they figure out how to rid themselves of the tyre eating issue they should be fine. Their car is a huge step forward in terms of pace compared to the W02, just give it a chance, it's only the first race. We'll judge it as it hits different tracks.

Ciao Jules