Sergio Perez. Now Positive corona virus test.

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
wire2004

Sergio Perez. Now Positive corona virus test.

Post by wire2004 »

So. As per the FIA and the rules set out. Perez is self isolating.

Question is now. If there is no negative test. He is out of the next 3 grand prix.

Who is the racing point reserve Driver???
Last edited by wire2004 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pokerman

Re: Sergio Perez. Inconclusive corona virus test.

Post by pokerman »

This may explain Perez's poor performance last time out, he did complain about feeling dizzy during qualifying.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I think last weekends performance was totally unrelated. Perez discussed with the media that he felt dizzy during the one hour qualifying session. He mentioned nothing about it after that. There haven't been any articles anywhere about Perrez suffering during the race.
Perez's issue now I think is something new and unrelated to last weekend.

Back up drivers for this team apparently have an agreement with Mercedes to use theirs. So Gutierrez or Vandoorne.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Vandoorne might be in Berlin.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Confirmed Perez is out. Terrible timing for him all things considered.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

I assume that means he's out next weekend too as it's now ten day isolation in the UK.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

That's unfortunate for him, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Was Exediron right last weekend about his conspiracy theory regarding Perez then?
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

JN23 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:34 pm
I assume that means he's out next weekend too as it's now ten day isolation in the UK.
It's confirmed he's out for both.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Rumours Hulkenberg is in with a shout :?

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

It surely has to be Hulkenberg. This era of F1 is still fresh in his memory, he was driving to a decent level just last season. It's a no brainer.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Hulk has said he's been keeping himself in shape incase he gets a call from anyone.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Does anyone know what an 'inconclusive' COVID-19 test means? To the best of my knowledge, all tests deliver a result of either positive (COVID-19 detected) or negative (no COVID-19 detected).

I would assume 'inconclusive' actually means 'positive, but we need a second positive test to eliminate the possibility of a false positive'.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 16 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Is Hulk in the UK? Would need to get moving and tested pretty sharp if not.

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

I would assume that an inconclusive test is within some margin of error, which would then require a re-test (which happened).

Hulk would seem like the obvious choice, but depending on the restrictions, it may not be possible to get him that quickly - whoever replaces Perez this weekend will presumably have to meet the same criteria as the other drivers, and if he hasn't already been tested and isolated himself, this might be too short of notice.
Qualifying Prediction Game 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Pick 10: 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd | 2019: 20th
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]

BMWSauber84

Re: Sergio Perez. Now Positive corona virus test.

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Hulkenberg was going to be commentating for RTL this weekend. He has been tested. It's game on.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Terrible.

But one thing...

Hulk might get his podium AFTER ALL?!

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Invade wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:50 am
Terrible.

But one thing...

Hulk might get his podium AFTER ALL?!
And then have it taken away by a successful Renault protest :lol:

baksonlee

Post by baksonlee »

Why isn't anybody looking at the potential impact this could have on the driver's championship?

What happens if the championship leader tests positive and ends up missing the final two races of the season and losing the championship as a result?

With this, the 'F1 bubble' has been shown to be ineffective, thus it is not a matter of if, but when, before another driver tests positive.

TheGiantHogweed

I do wonder who is going to replace Perez. Hulkenberg seems to be a bit of a late call given when Perez's test was confirmed positive, he wasn't in the country.

From what I've read, Vandoorne has the chance to get the FE championship. Even though some people don't care for this, I don't know why you would give it up for one or two F1 races that don't really count for anything for yourself.

I personally see the most realistic choice being Gutierrez. He isn't the best, but he's been the test driver for Mercedes for the past 3 years, so may know the clone pretty well! He also wasn't quite as bad in 2016 as people remember him. Grosjean was reasonably rated back then, and to be fair, when they both finished, Gutierrez finished ahead in 7/13 races. Gutierrez seemed better than Grosjean when the car was struggling for pace. He missed a fair few points in the first 2 races when he had to retire and likely will have had around half of Grosjean's points had their luck been equal. He wasn't that bad.

Hopefully one driver will be confirmed soon. Rather than aiming to try and get a specific one, they should just get hold of one who is the easiest to get so they can get used to the car as soon as possible.
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

baksonlee wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:36 am
Why isn't anybody looking at the potential impact this could have on the driver's championship?

What happens if the championship leader tests positive and ends up missing the final two races of the season and losing the championship as a result?

With this, the 'F1 bubble' has been shown to be ineffective, thus it is not a matter of if, but when, before another driver tests positive.
What do you mean? This is always the case, this is resembling the scenario with Lauda and Hunt, Lauda was leading the WDC before his accident, came back but ultimately lost it to Hunt. Things happen.

What I'm trying to say, is that it can happen, so what?

JN23

Post by JN23 »

baksonlee wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:36 am

I disagree that the F1 bubble has shown to be ineffective. I believe that the bubbles were ended after the Hungary race and came into being again mid-this week. Perez probably wasn’t in the bubble when he caught COVID.

Perez went to Mexico for a couple of days last week to see his mother who had been in hospital. Possible he could have picked it up that way but that’s just pure speculation.

Herb

Post by Herb »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am
I do wonder who is going to replace Perez. Hulkenberg seems to be a bit of a late call given when Perez's test was confirmed positive, he wasn't in the country.

From what I've read, Vandoorne has the chance to get the FE championship. Even though some people don't care for this, I don't know why you would give it up for one or two F1 races.

I personally see the most realistic choice being Gutierrez. He isn't the best, but he's been the test driver for Mercedes for the past 3 years, so may know the clone pretty well! He also wasn't quite as bad in 2016 as people remember him. Grosjean was reasonably rated back then, and to be fair, when they both finished, Gutierrez finished ahead in 7/13 races. Gutierrez seemed better than Grosjean when the car was struggling for pace. He missed a fair few points in the first 2 races when he had to retire and likely will have had around half of Grosjean's points had their luck been equal. He wasn't that bad.

Hopefully one driver will be confirmed soon. Rather than aiming to try and get a specific one, they should just get hold of one who is the easiest to get so they can get used to the car as soon as possible.
Hulk is in the Paddock this morning already. Been spotted by a Whisper Films producer with some RP staff (that's not conclusive of anything though - he probably has a few friends at the team!)

Edited to add this:

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

One of the drivers testing positive must've been the lowest statistical likelihood, right? I mean there are 20 in total. When you compare that to say, the number of team management attending each race for any individual team, mechanics, strategists, etc., all of those groups would be larger. And what is it, like the third positive test from over 10,000? Incredibly unfortunate for Checo.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

TheGiantHogweed

Herb wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 am
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am

From what I've read, Vandoorne has the chance to get the FE championship. Even though some people don't care for this, I don't know why you would give it up for one or two F1 races.

Hulk is in the Paddock this morning already. Been spotted by a Whisper Films producer with some RP staff (that's not conclusive of anything though - he probably has a few friends at the team!)

Edited to add this:
Well that clearly shows he is here, but it think the edited pictures are just people confirming things for certain too soon. It seems likely, but it is also likely the team will still be making their decision if it is an hour before practice and there is no official announcement. I personally think pulling a driver out from something else when they were never even expecting to be a reserve driver may turn out worse than using Gutierrez, as at least his role is specifically for this. This to me still makes me think they are not sure yet. As good as hulkenberg was, I doubt he suddenly will be able to be that good with lack of preparation.

TheGiantHogweed

https://jalopnik.com/racing-point-drive ... 1844562963

I was waiting to see if there was any news on weather Perez had done anything that wasn't advised, and it looks like he's done similar to what leclerc did. It is a little hard to sympathise if this is the case. If drivers want to race that badly, they would surely take far greater care to avoid doing what Perez had done.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 am
https://jalopnik.com/racing-point-drive ... 1844562963

I was waiting to see if there was any news on weather Perez had done anything that wasn't advised, and it looks like he's done similar to what leclerc did. It is a little hard to sympathise if this is the case. If drivers want to race that badly, they would surely take far greater care to avoid doing what Perez had done.
Agree that he could have taken more care but there’s a difference between him and Leclerc. I don’t think bubbles were a thing between Hungary and earlier this week.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Did not Verstappen say a few days ago that the Hulk should be back in F1. :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

TheGiantHogweed

Well, it has now been confirmed that hulkenburg is their driver.

This does puzzle me. I do think Hulkenberg is better than Gutierrez, but based on the situation, I don't think Hulkenberg was a better choice for the time they had at all. Less than 24 hours. Hulkenberg is not a reserve driver, that wasn't his role. He wasn't even involved in F1 between end of last year and now. Gutierrez and Vandoorne at least have been test or reserve drivers for years. So if anything, for this weekend, I think Gutierrez will have been a much better option. He didn't have to rush and fly over in 24 hours, He was already there and they will have had significantly more time for him to get in the simulator and prepare for the weekend. He's basically driven the racing point if people think it is that similar to the 2019 Mercedes as he was the test driver all last year too. So I think due to how much more prepared Gutierrez will have been due to having more time, I think he was more suited to this role this weekend and I don't agree with the decision. What is the point of reserve drivers if they don't get used and they just grab someone who no longer is involved. Just strange IMO. I don't expect him to perform well at all unfortunately, but could be surprised.

Herb

Post by Herb »

Apparently Gutierrez' Super License expired last week, or so I've read on Twitter. I have no idea how true it is.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:07 am

This does puzzle me. I do think Hulkenberg is better than Gutierrez, but based on the situation, I don't think Hulkenberg was a better choice for the time they had at all. Less than 24 hours. Hulkenberg is not a reserve driver, that wasn't his role. He wasn't even involved in F1 between end of last year and now. Gutierrez and Vandoorne at least have been test or reserve drivers for years. So if anything, for this weekend, I think Gutierrez will have been a much better option. He didn't have to rush and fly over in 24 hours, He was already there and they will have had significantly more time for him to get in the simulator and prepare for the weekend. He's basically driven the racing point if people think it is that similar to the 2019 Mercedes as he was the test driver all last year too. So I think due to how much more prepared Gutierrez will have been due to having more time, I think he was more suited to this role this weekend and I don't agree with the decision. What is the point of reserve drivers if they don't get used and they just grab someone who no longer is involved. Just strange IMO. I don't expect him to perform well at all unfortunately, but could be surprised.
Whoever was driving this weekend would probably have struggled as they won't have driven the car before. They need a driver again next weekend so with a weekend under his belt, Hulk is the better shout for next weekend.

TheGiantHogweed

I think Hulkenberg for next weekend alone will have been understandable as he had time to prepare, I just think it was too much of a risk for this weekend when they had other options that will have had more time to prepare as at least they were already there.

Regarding Gutierrez super licence expiring, if he is a test and reserve driver, that just doesn't seem right, but we may find out if we see some more info on that.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I would take an ill prepared Hulkenberg over a prepared Guiterrez every single day of the week. Add to that the Hulkenberg is much more race sharp and I think it's an absolute no brainer. Especially given it's two races so he can use this week to get up to speed for next.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:41 am
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I would take an ill prepared Hulkenberg over a prepared Guiterrez every single day of the week. Add to that the Hulkenberg is much more race sharp and I think it's an absolute no brainer. Especially given it's two races so he can use this week to get up to speed for next.
Amen!

Hulk in a top car on the sharp end is also something I was waiting for. Let's see how he does

TheGiantHogweed

Siao7 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:57 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Amen!

Hulk in a top car on the sharp end is also something I was waiting for. Let's see how he does
How much would you expect either to do though? Not specifically here, but I am baffled by the number of places that seem to be expecting Hulkenberg to get a podium. The last time a driver got replaced during a race weekend was Di Resta to replace Massa in Hungary 2017. Diresta was far more prepared that Hulkenberg as he was William's official reserve driver, therefore prepared to do his role and he knew the car well. He was outqualified by a rookie Stroll by 0.8 seconds. And that was a season many thought Massa was poor despite destroying Stroll in qualifying. Stroll has now outqualified Perez twice and comfortably beaten him last time out. That may not be much to base things on, but I think Stroll is better than he used to be and I heavily doubt Hulkenberg will beat Stroll this weekend down to pace alone. This is not to do with his ability, just lack of preparation which is why I don't understand people's expectations. He will have to rely on a mistake from Stroll or extreme good luck on his side. I think the top 5 will likely be the Mercedes pair most likely followed by Verstappen. Then I feel there will be several other drivers between Verstappen and Hulkenberg as I just don't think it will be at all easy for him to be at his best.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

The reason so many people are expecting Hulk to possibly score a podium is how good the car seems to be. If Stroll has been on the cusp a couple of times, then the logical conclusion is that Hulkenberg is thought to be a better driver, even though Perez outperformed he was a bit better than Hulk over their time together.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Herb

Post by Herb »

I don't think people are expecting a podium. I think it's just wishful thinking, it's just a pretty fun narrative - a driver who for so long couldn't buy a podium, gets one as a stand-in.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:08 pm
Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Amen!

How much would you expect either to do though? Not specifically here, but I am baffled by the number of places that seem to be expecting Hulkenberg to get a podium. The last time a driver got replaced during a race weekend was Di Resta to replace Massa in Hungary 2017. Diresta was far more prepared that Hulkenberg as he was William's official reserve driver, therefore prepared to do his role and he knew the car well. He was outqualified by a rookie Stroll by 0.8 seconds. And that was a season many thought Massa was poor despite destroying Stroll in qualifying. Stroll has now outqualified Perez twice and comfortably beaten him last time out. That may not be much to base things on, but I think Stroll is better than he used to be and I heavily doubt Hulkenberg will beat Stroll this weekend down to pace alone. This is not to do with his ability, just lack of preparation which is why I don't understand people's expectations. He will have to rely on a mistake from Stroll or extreme good luck on his side. I think the top 5 will likely be the Mercedes pair most likely followed by Verstappen. Then I feel there will be several other drivers between Verstappen and Hulkenberg as I just don't think it will be at all easy for him to be at his best.

I don't think it's an expectation but this is the best car he's ever driven. You can't really compare this to Di Resta. Hulk has missed three races where as Di Resta hadn't raced an F1 car for 4 years and a huge regulation change had occurred in the mean time.

If I had to guess I'd say he'd get close to Stroll this weekend and beat him next (if the team allows it at least).

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Amen!

Well, when I said "amen" I meant for picking one driver that has no seat this year over another. I am not expecting Hulk to get to the podium straight away nor win races. But, the Tracing Point is a front runner this year, so talks of a podium are not really that far fetched. Also, DiResta was out of F1 for 4 years when he replaced Massa, Hulk was driving last year, so he has not been that long away from it. Finally, I think that this was always a point of talk for Hulk, getting him a top seat, so he has his chance to prove his worth

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Oh Mikey, I think I should have waited for longer before posting, looks like I copied your post, haha

TheGiantHogweed

Siao7 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Amen!

Well, when I said "amen" I meant for picking one driver that has no seat this year over another. I am not expecting Hulk to get to the podium straight away nor win races. But, the Tracing Point is a front runner this year, so talks of a podium are not really that far fetched. Also, DiResta was out of F1 for 4 years when he replaced Massa, Hulk was driving last year, so he has not been that long away from it. Finally, I think that this was always a point of talk for Hulk, getting him a top seat, so he has his chance to prove his worth
There is something that I think you are not considering though that surely makes a big difference. Di Resta (and gutierrez) are / were both the official reserve driver in the 2 things we are comparing. No matter weather they have had years out of F1, they still will stay used to the simulator and what it feels like to drive an F1 car preparing for such circumstances as this. This is why i am confused why they went for hulkenberg. Getting used to the g forces again will be very hard for Hulkenberg. He's apparently already suffering some pain in his neck.

Di-resta and Gutierrez both will have had very large simulator and team experience right before the moment they will have been needed. Hulkenberg I believe will have done nothing of a sort after the end of last season. Hulkenberg getting used to F1 because of this is what I think will actually make him weaker than Gutierrez, who at least will have done very recent testing for Mercedes.