Female Racing Drivers

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

The point being made here about the superlicense system is one I'd missed. The answer to the often asked question "when will next see a female F1 driver" is now much more defined by "when one is doing well enough in lower formulas". Previously it *could* have happened pretty much on the whim of a team boss/sponsor. Now though, those points are far from easy to rack up. I don't have time to do the maths but I'm pretty sure if you went through the female drivers of the last years, none would have accumulated anything like enough points . Looking at the criteria here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence who would have even come close ? Danica's highest Indycar placing was 5th - a measly 8 points.

de Silvestro, Floersch, Calderon, Chadwick...nowhere near.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

mds wrote:
pokerman wrote: I would just disagree with your last sentence I think it makes good sense for her to compete in the 'W' series because of the F1 super license points on offer, last season really was little more than a demo year with only the prize money on offer.

If she wins the title again because of the F1 super license grading she then has to leave the series but she will have won $1M in prize money enough to buy a top drive in F3, although she may have spent some of that racing in F3 Asia.

She then finds herself with 25 F1 super license points over halfway to a F1 super license, she could compete again next year in F3 Asia getting some more F1 super license points and then take part in F1 FP1 sessions with Williams gaining up to 10 F1 super license points.

It's possible she could get her F1 super license without even competing in F3 and could find herself with a F1 seat if there's a big enough will to see a woman in F1, but without proving herself in the hotbed of F3 she surely would crash and burn in F1.
Your last sentence is the key here. Your entire post makes a lot of sense if the goal is to get to F1 at all costs and it doesn't matter what happens when she gets there.

On the other hand if she is to be a valuable addition to F1, then W Series is just a side step and not a necessary step on the way to F1. Because in that case it doesn't really add anything. She would still have to prove herself in F3 and/or F2. If she cannot get the necessary SL points in those categories, she surely won't be a good candidate for F1.
In Chadwick's case I do think she wants to prove herself before getting to F1 however like I've pointed out there are certain back doors she can take to get there, ultimately she might decide she just wants the achievement of racing in F1 no matter the results she may be capable of achieving.

When I look at someone like Suzie Wolff I got the impression that she didn't care if she was actually good enough to be competitive in F1, she just wanted the kudos of saying look at me I'm a woman and I'm competing in F1.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
mds
Posts: 11443
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by mds »

DOLOMITE wrote:The point being made here about the superlicense system is one I'd missed. The answer to the often asked question "when will next see a female F1 driver" is now much more defined by "when one is doing well enough in lower formulas". Previously it *could* have happened pretty much on the whim of a team boss/sponsor. Now though, those points are far from easy to rack up. I don't have time to do the maths but I'm pretty sure if you went through the female drivers of the last years, none would have accumulated anything like enough points . Looking at the criteria here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence who would have even come close ? Danica's highest Indycar placing was 5th - a measly 8 points.

de Silvestro, Floersch, Calderon, Chadwick...nowhere near.
Well, if Chadwick repeats her feats of the past year, then she pretty much has it tied up if Williams get her testing... As pokerman has also said:

Points amassed:
- F3 Asia 8th: 10 points

Hypothetical 2020 (+ winter):
- W Series win: 15
- F3 Asia 8th: 10 points

With this she's at 35 points. She can then become testing driver for Williams in 2021. If she then participates in 5 Friday free practice sessions and gets 100km on the board in each of them, she gets the remaining 5 points.


There's a lot of ifs here, but it should be doable.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

mds wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:The point being made here about the superlicense system is one I'd missed. The answer to the often asked question "when will next see a female F1 driver" is now much more defined by "when one is doing well enough in lower formulas". Previously it *could* have happened pretty much on the whim of a team boss/sponsor. Now though, those points are far from easy to rack up. I don't have time to do the maths but I'm pretty sure if you went through the female drivers of the last years, none would have accumulated anything like enough points . Looking at the criteria here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence who would have even come close ? Danica's highest Indycar placing was 5th - a measly 8 points.

de Silvestro, Floersch, Calderon, Chadwick...nowhere near.
Well, if Chadwick repeats her feats of the past year, then she pretty much has it tied up if Williams get her testing... As pokerman has also said:

Points amassed:
- F3 Asia 8th: 10 points

Hypothetical 2020 (+ winter):
- W Series win: 15
- F3 Asia 8th: 10 points

With this she's at 35 points. She can then become testing driver for Williams in 2021. If she then participates in 5 Friday free practice sessions and gets 100km on the board in each of them, she gets the remaining 5 points.


There's a lot of ifs here, but it should be doable.
Just for accuracy it's F3 Asia 4th: 10 points. :)

Nominally getting the points was meant to be reasonably difficult so that lesser drivers couldn't simply buy a seat in F1 but various back doors have since opened up.

Nikita Mazepin finished 2nd in GP3, that's not too shabby, netting him 20 F1 super license points, but followed this up with 18th in F2, now getting that F1 super license is looking really difficult.

Then it's decided to move the F3 Asian series from summer to winter and award extra points, Mazepin finished 3rd in the series gaining 12 F1 super license taking him to 32 points.

Then I believe if you have 25 F1 super license points you can compete in F1 FP1 sessions gaining 1 point for each session up to a maximum of 10 points.

Now I've not heard of Mazepin having such a tie up with any F1 team for the coming season but the F1 super license is obtainable regardless of were he might finish this season in F2.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
mds
Posts: 11443
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by mds »

pokerman wrote: Just for accuracy it's F3 Asia 4th: 10 points. :)
My mistake!
Then I believe if you have 25 F1 super license points you can compete in F1 FP1 sessions gaining 1 point for each session up to a maximum of 10 points.
You can gain a point per weekend - but I believe test drivers can only do Friday FP1 so it doesn't make a difference.
Also the point is only gained when 100km is driven during the session.
Now I've not heard of Mazepin having such a tie up with any F1 team for the coming season but the F1 super license is obtainable regardless of were he might finish this season in F2.
True. It's gotten easier. But the FIA has all but reached its goal since the feeder series ladder has been cleaned up pretty well and most of the money is now coming in their hands instead of some competing series. So they can open it up again.

Sorry for the cynicism.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

mds wrote:
pokerman wrote: Just for accuracy it's F3 Asia 4th: 10 points. :)
My mistake!
Then I believe if you have 25 F1 super license points you can compete in F1 FP1 sessions gaining 1 point for each session up to a maximum of 10 points.
You can gain a point per weekend - but I believe test drivers can only do Friday FP1 so it doesn't make a difference.
Also the point is only gained when 100km is driven during the session.
Now I've not heard of Mazepin having such a tie up with any F1 team for the coming season but the F1 super license is obtainable regardless of were he might finish this season in F2.
True. It's gotten easier. But the FIA has all but reached its goal since the feeder series ladder has been cleaned up pretty well and most of the money is now coming in their hands instead of some competing series. So they can open it up again.

Sorry for the cynicism.
A FP1 session by definition is only run on a Friday apart from Monaco, however I didn't know about the 100Km stipulation but then again that's only about 25 laps?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Battle Far
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

Sophia Floersch will make her full season FIA Formula 3 debut with Campos in 2020

User avatar
Banana Man
Posts: 2464
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Banana Man »

Battle Far wrote:Sophia Floersch will make her full season FIA Formula 3 debut with Campos in 2020
Every time I hear her name I'm always astonished she's still alive and racing. Good luck to her.
I remember when this website was all fields.

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Update the first post to show who is doing what in 2020 as much as I know but if anyone has updates please post.

Makes you appreciate what W Series is doing - without the list of active female drivers beyond karting would be absolutely minimal.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:Sophia Floersch will make her full season FIA Formula 3 debut with Campos in 2020
It's good to see her back in a main stream series, I think she will do well just to score any points but at least she's giving it a go.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
Battle Far wrote:Sophia Floersch will make her full season FIA Formula 3 debut with Campos in 2020
It's good to see her back in a main stream series, I think she will do well just to score any points but at least she's giving it a go.
Agreed.
The team (Campos) came bottom last year, but her teammates don't look exactly top fight from their careers to date so she at least has a good chance of showing well against them.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

Jamie Chadwick & Alice Powell both made their FE debut in the test that followed the Marrakesh race weekend.

Nick Cassidy (Virgin), 2019 Super Formula champion, set a time 0.5s faster than anyone else, Sette Camara was the only other driver to get under 1 min 17 sec.

Chadwick (Jaguar) recorded 13th fastest, 0.7s off Camara, 0.2s off team mate Sacha Fenestraz (2019 Japanese F3 Champion) while Powell, also driving for Virgin, was 0.6s slower than Chadwick.

Linky

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

DOLOMITE wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Battle Far wrote:Sophia Floersch will make her full season FIA Formula 3 debut with Campos in 2020
It's good to see her back in a main stream series, I think she will do well just to score any points but at least she's giving it a go.
Agreed.
The team (Campos) came bottom last year, but her teammates don't look exactly top fight from their careers to date so she at least has a good chance of showing well against them.
Testing times not looking too bad with one of her teammates Peroni being 2nd fastest whilst she was 13th fastest.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:Jamie Chadwick & Alice Powell both made their FE debut in the test that followed the Marrakesh race weekend.

Nick Cassidy (Virgin), 2019 Super Formula champion, set a time 0.5s faster than anyone else, Sette Camara was the only other driver to get under 1 min 17 sec.

Chadwick (Jaguar) recorded 13th fastest, 0.7s off Camara, 0.2s off team mate Sacha Fenestraz (2019 Japanese F3 Champion) while Powell, also driving for Virgin, was 0.6s slower than Chadwick.

Linky
Interesting, cheers. :thumbup:
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:Jamie Chadwick & Alice Powell both made their FE debut in the test that followed the Marrakesh race weekend.

Nick Cassidy (Virgin), 2019 Super Formula champion, set a time 0.5s faster than anyone else, Sette Camara was the only other driver to get under 1 min 17 sec.

Chadwick (Jaguar) recorded 13th fastest, 0.7s off Camara, 0.2s off team mate Sacha Fenestraz (2019 Japanese F3 Champion) while Powell, also driving for Virgin, was 0.6s slower than Chadwick.

Linky
Thanks for that - had no idea that was even planned. But then I'm not Instagram/Twitter/Snapchat so always a bit behind...

Was it just a test or are they planning to race? I read that Chadwick was doing the Extreme E
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

DOLOMITE wrote:Thanks for that - had no idea that was even planned. But then I'm not Instagram/Twitter/Snapchat so always a bit behind...

Was it just a test or are they planning to race? I read that Chadwick was doing the Extreme E
As far as I'm aware it's just this test... but who knows

Chadwick's 0.2s deficit to her team mate is my take away, Fenestraz was Japanese Formula 3 champion in 2019 with 18 podiums and 8 wins.

Battle Far
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

Day 2 of the FIA F3 test in Bahrain saw Floersch 12th fastest in both sessions, after being 1s slower than the fastest lap recorded by DeFrancesco on day 1 she was just 0.2s slower on Day 2 as both were off the new tyre pace of Lawson.

For reference Chadwick was competitive/beat DeFrancesco in the Asian series while both were slower than Jack Doohan who was in turn slower than both in Bahrain :blush: :x

User avatar
mds
Posts: 11443
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by mds »

Battle Far wrote: For reference Chadwick was competitive/beat DeFrancesco in the Asian series
No, she wasn't/didn't... DeFrancesco only participated in 3 of the 5 rounds and still didn't finish that far off Chadwick who did all 5 rounds. He finished ahead of Chadwick in every race.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8230
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Exediron »

mds wrote:
Battle Far wrote: For reference Chadwick was competitive/beat DeFrancesco in the Asian series
No, she wasn't/didn't... DeFrancesco only participated in 3 of the 5 rounds and still didn't finish that far off Chadwick who did all 5 rounds. He finished ahead of Chadwick in every race.
If it was only a little ahead, she could still qualify for 'competitive with'...
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Battle Far
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

mds wrote:
Battle Far wrote: For reference Chadwick was competitive/beat DeFrancesco in the Asian series
No, she wasn't/didn't... DeFrancesco only participated in 3 of the 5 rounds and still didn't finish that far off Chadwick who did all 5 rounds. He finished ahead of Chadwick in every race.
Untrue - Chadwick beat him by 18s in the race she won on the road, she got a post race 20s penalty which, from the video, was ludicrous given the milli-second advantage gained

Image

In their races together she finished less than 5s behind him on 4 out of 8 occasions, I suggest that's competitive. Also, her relative performance in the last 6 races where DeFrancesco did not compete was much better. She finished on the podium every race, something that DeFrancesco couldn't do.

I don't think Chadwick is the next F1 world champion but she is showing promise, one would hope that you agree ;)

Battle Far
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

The last day of the official FIA F3 test in Bahrain saw Alexander Peroni record the fastest lap of the week, followed by Jake Hughes and Jack Doohan. Sophia Floersch also recorded her fastest time of the week but it was only 20th (of 30) 1.5s off Peroni, more significantly it was 1.3s off Doohan's.

Remember Chadwick, at the last round of the F3 Asia series, qualified 0.3s behind Doohan in session 1 and beat him by 0.1s in session 2.

Battle Far
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

Interview with JuJu Noda by the Spanish magazine El Excelerador,

I don't know for sure if this was her answering the questions but the maturity is astonishing if so:-

Talking about Barcelona & the Danish spec F4 car

I had no experience riding high-speed circuits like Motorland or Barcelona, ​​so it was something new that I learned a lot from. Calafat and Albacete are more like what I'm used to and I adapted more quickly.
...
The Mygale of the Danish F4 is 80 Kg heavier and 20 hp less powerful than the Tatuus of the Spanish F4, and was sometimes somewhat frustrating. The next time I go there, I want to do it in a faster car.
...
It is a bit heavy and it lacks some power, so you have to be very smooth with the riding. You cannot overdrive it and in that sense it is different from the Japanese F3 or F4. Sometimes it is frustrating, since the car forgives very little mistakes. The driving window of the car is narrow and it is easy to waste time.


On fitness and being a girl

I do fitness like the other pilots, of course. But I haven't really changed too much what I always did in Japan. I go step by step. Being a girl, it is difficult to compete against boys. They have more muscles and more strength, and to reach the same level I have to work much more than they do. Women normally have less weight and less muscle due to our biological bases. The regulations of the championships equalize the weight but nobody gives me more muscles or take them away from the boys.

On the future and expectations

I like to compete and go fast. I would like to compete in some of the great races in the motor world, in Formula 1, Formula E, Le Mans, IndyCar or NASCAR.
...
Obviously, I would love to win, but I hope to learn a lot and enjoy this season. I also want to grow as a person and as a pilot. I know I am young and I don't want to be impatient.

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:Interview with JuJu Noda by the Spanish magazine El Excelerador,

I don't know for sure if this was her answering the questions but the maturity is astonishing if so:-

Talking about Barcelona & the Danish spec F4 car

I had no experience riding high-speed circuits like Motorland or Barcelona, ​​so it was something new that I learned a lot from. Calafat and Albacete are more like what I'm used to and I adapted more quickly.
...
The Mygale of the Danish F4 is 80 Kg heavier and 20 hp less powerful than the Tatuus of the Spanish F4, and was sometimes somewhat frustrating. The next time I go there, I want to do it in a faster car.
...
It is a bit heavy and it lacks some power, so you have to be very smooth with the riding. You cannot overdrive it and in that sense it is different from the Japanese F3 or F4. Sometimes it is frustrating, since the car forgives very little mistakes. The driving window of the car is narrow and it is easy to waste time.


On fitness and being a girl

I do fitness like the other pilots, of course. But I haven't really changed too much what I always did in Japan. I go step by step. Being a girl, it is difficult to compete against boys. They have more muscles and more strength, and to reach the same level I have to work much more than they do. Women normally have less weight and less muscle due to our biological bases. The regulations of the championships equalize the weight but nobody gives me more muscles or take them away from the boys.

On the future and expectations

I like to compete and go fast. I would like to compete in some of the great races in the motor world, in Formula 1, Formula E, Le Mans, IndyCar or NASCAR.
...
Obviously, I would love to win, but I hope to learn a lot and enjoy this season. I also want to grow as a person and as a pilot. I know I am young and I don't want to be impatient.
This is a woman saying this, like it or not it can't be ignored when asking the kind of questions like why we have no female F1 drivers.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

mikeyg123
Posts: 18026
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Battle Far wrote:Interview with JuJu Noda by the Spanish magazine El Excelerador,

I don't know for sure if this was her answering the questions but the maturity is astonishing if so:-

Talking about Barcelona & the Danish spec F4 car

I had no experience riding high-speed circuits like Motorland or Barcelona, ​​so it was something new that I learned a lot from. Calafat and Albacete are more like what I'm used to and I adapted more quickly.
...
The Mygale of the Danish F4 is 80 Kg heavier and 20 hp less powerful than the Tatuus of the Spanish F4, and was sometimes somewhat frustrating. The next time I go there, I want to do it in a faster car.
...
It is a bit heavy and it lacks some power, so you have to be very smooth with the riding. You cannot overdrive it and in that sense it is different from the Japanese F3 or F4. Sometimes it is frustrating, since the car forgives very little mistakes. The driving window of the car is narrow and it is easy to waste time.


On fitness and being a girl

I do fitness like the other pilots, of course. But I haven't really changed too much what I always did in Japan. I go step by step. Being a girl, it is difficult to compete against boys. They have more muscles and more strength, and to reach the same level I have to work much more than they do. Women normally have less weight and less muscle due to our biological bases. The regulations of the championships equalize the weight but nobody gives me more muscles or take them away from the boys.

On the future and expectations

I like to compete and go fast. I would like to compete in some of the great races in the motor world, in Formula 1, Formula E, Le Mans, IndyCar or NASCAR.
...
Obviously, I would love to win, but I hope to learn a lot and enjoy this season. I also want to grow as a person and as a pilot. I know I am young and I don't want to be impatient.
This is a woman saying this, like it or not it can't be ignored when asking the kind of questions like why we have no female F1 drivers.
No,

It's a 14 year old girl saying it.

There will always be drivers who are't as strong as some over drivers. They manage to overcome that disadvantage.

The only question that matters is, is it possible for a women to build up the required strength to drive an F1 car as quickly as her talents allow.

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Battle Far wrote:Interview with JuJu Noda by the Spanish magazine El Excelerador,

I don't know for sure if this was her answering the questions but the maturity is astonishing if so:-

Talking about Barcelona & the Danish spec F4 car

I had no experience riding high-speed circuits like Motorland or Barcelona, ​​so it was something new that I learned a lot from. Calafat and Albacete are more like what I'm used to and I adapted more quickly.
...
The Mygale of the Danish F4 is 80 Kg heavier and 20 hp less powerful than the Tatuus of the Spanish F4, and was sometimes somewhat frustrating. The next time I go there, I want to do it in a faster car.
...
It is a bit heavy and it lacks some power, so you have to be very smooth with the riding. You cannot overdrive it and in that sense it is different from the Japanese F3 or F4. Sometimes it is frustrating, since the car forgives very little mistakes. The driving window of the car is narrow and it is easy to waste time.


On fitness and being a girl

I do fitness like the other pilots, of course. But I haven't really changed too much what I always did in Japan. I go step by step. Being a girl, it is difficult to compete against boys. They have more muscles and more strength, and to reach the same level I have to work much more than they do. Women normally have less weight and less muscle due to our biological bases. The regulations of the championships equalize the weight but nobody gives me more muscles or take them away from the boys.

On the future and expectations

I like to compete and go fast. I would like to compete in some of the great races in the motor world, in Formula 1, Formula E, Le Mans, IndyCar or NASCAR.
...
Obviously, I would love to win, but I hope to learn a lot and enjoy this season. I also want to grow as a person and as a pilot. I know I am young and I don't want to be impatient.
This is a woman saying this, like it or not it can't be ignored when asking the kind of questions like why we have no female F1 drivers.
No,

It's a 14 year old girl saying it.

There will always be drivers who are't as strong as some over drivers. They manage to overcome that disadvantage.

The only question that matters is, is it possible for a women to build up the required strength to drive an F1 car as quickly as her talents allow.
This is the discussion we were having on page 17 of this thread....
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

DOLOMITE wrote:This is the discussion we were having on page 17 of this thread....
I apologise Dolomite, I just couldn't resist dangling the bait...

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:This is the discussion we were having on page 17 of this thread....
I apologise Dolomite, I just couldn't resist dangling the bait...
That's quite bad form then, I thought it was similar to something that I'd read before.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:This is the discussion we were having on page 17 of this thread....
I apologise Dolomite, I just couldn't resist dangling the bait...
No worries, with a thread 7 years old you're going to get some repetition!
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Extreme E to have a female driver in all teams: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/52479360.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

W series cancelled for 2020. That's a bummer.
https://www.crash.net/f3/news/938350/1/ ... oronavirus
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

pokerman
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by pokerman »

DOLOMITE wrote:Extreme E to have a female driver in all teams: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/52479360.
It won't be a good look for the female racers.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 94 (1st)
Pole Positions: 97 (1st)
Podiums: 163 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8230
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Exediron »

DOLOMITE wrote:W series cancelled for 2020. That's a bummer.
https://www.crash.net/f3/news/938350/1/ ... oronavirus
The W Series eSports series is going to be starting up tomorrow, apparently, with race dates on Thursdays.

https://motorsport.tech/motorsport/w-se ... -announced
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:Extreme E to have a female driver in all teams: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/52479360.
It won't be a good look for the female racers.
how do you mean?
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Exediron wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:W series cancelled for 2020. That's a bummer.
https://www.crash.net/f3/news/938350/1/ ... oronavirus
The W Series eSports series is going to be starting up tomorrow, apparently, with race dates on Thursdays.

https://motorsport.tech/motorsport/w-se ... -announced

I don't follow eSports in any form, but surely setting up a female only series is missing an opportunity. Why don't they just race in the existing series with the male racers? Wouldn't that be an ideal way to go head-to-head with some of the big names, maybe land some headlines etc?

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8230
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Exediron »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Exediron wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:W series cancelled for 2020. That's a bummer.
https://www.crash.net/f3/news/938350/1/ ... oronavirus
The W Series eSports series is going to be starting up tomorrow, apparently, with race dates on Thursdays.

https://motorsport.tech/motorsport/w-se ... -announced
I don't follow eSports in any form, but surely setting up a female only series is missing an opportunity. Why don't they just race in the existing series with the male racers? Wouldn't that be an ideal way to go head-to-head with some of the big names, maybe land some headlines etc?
I tend to agree, but that's not how they're doing it.

However, I should note that all the serious eSports series are based on real-world series, so none of the W Series drivers would be participating because they don't have drives in those series. Jamie Chadwick was going to do the upcoming 24 Hours of Le Mans, but she apparently pulled out to take some non-virtual opportunity instead.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Exediron wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
Exediron wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:W series cancelled for 2020. That's a bummer.
https://www.crash.net/f3/news/938350/1/ ... oronavirus
The W Series eSports series is going to be starting up tomorrow, apparently, with race dates on Thursdays.

https://motorsport.tech/motorsport/w-se ... -announced
I don't follow eSports in any form, but surely setting up a female only series is missing an opportunity. Why don't they just race in the existing series with the male racers? Wouldn't that be an ideal way to go head-to-head with some of the big names, maybe land some headlines etc?
I tend to agree, but that's not how they're doing it.

However, I should note that all the serious eSports series are based on real-world series, so none of the W Series drivers would be participating because they don't have drives in those series. Jamie Chadwick was going to do the upcoming 24 Hours of Le Mans, but she apparently pulled out to take some non-virtual opportunity instead.

Fair enough then I guess - as I said I don't follow it all never having been a gamer so that's my own ignorance.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

User avatar
Jezza13
Posts: 2417
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Far side of Koozebane

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Jezza13 »

Not sure how this will affect the long term future of the W series.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... JoTTn.html

I applaud this initiative.

If you want to get a female into F1, this is the way to do it. Get girls interested in motorsports at the grassroots level, support them through their journey as they compete against the best in their category no matter what their gender.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Jezza13 wrote: Not sure how this will affect the long term future of the W series.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... JoTTn.html

I applaud this initiative.

If you want to get a female into F1, this is the way to do it. Get girls interested in motorsports at the grassroots level, support them through their journey as they compete against the best in their category no matter what their gender.
I saw this yesterday and wanted to add it here so thanks for that.

I agree that it's a good thing and it's good to see something real coming out of FIA's Women In Motorsport

Not sure where Susie Wolffs Dare To Be Different fits in with this stuff plus as you say W Series.

I'm not a big fan of trying to engineer outcomes like having 2 x female drivers in F4. I'm not naive to think any grid in any series is made of the best drivers available, but having 2 female drivers that are there just because they were the 2 best female drivers available is potentially problematic. If they join and aren't competitive it will suggest even the best females aren't good enough. I just hope the process develops some genuine talent and the exposure that any drivers who progress though it is positive and does the job of inspiring others.

Anyway it's a positive an interesting initiative, I'll watch with interest.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Herb
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Herb »

Chadwick has secured substantial backing, with the aim of being in F1 in a couple of years:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/53045536

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Great news for Chadwick. If the purpose of W Series was to further the careers of female drivers it's certainly a success.

Pressure is on for Chadwick now and she's spoken of this before. Money buys you the seat but not the results.

She'll have the 'other' Leclerc as one of her teammates but I don't know many of the other names in the series.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Post Reply