Female Racing Drivers

Battle Far

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by Battle Far »

Just to confirm, Chadwick will now race in the F3 Formula Regional Championship this summer, driving for Prema (last years champion team) joining team mates Arthur Leclerc (Charles' brother), Gianluca Petecof and Oliver Rasmussen.

There are 8 rounds, starting at Misano on 1-2 August followed by Paul Ricard, Red Bull Ring, Mugello, Monza, Barcelona, Imola & Vallelunga.

Driving the same chassis/engine combination she drove in the Asian series and with long term backing she now has no excuse...

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

14 year old JuJu Noda will make her Danish F4 debut this weekend as the series makes a belated start with first 3 of 15 races at FMD Jyllandsringen.

Noda set the fastest time in the series test at Padborg at the beginning of April, the last time the cars were on track. Her lap time was 0.2s under the circuit record and more than 1s faster than any other driver.

Noda's 2020 F4 Livery

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Battle Far wrote:Driving the same chassis/engine combination she drove in the Asian series and with long term backing she now has no excuse...
No excuses and nowhere to hide, indeed. Winning team, a teammate with at least some talent, and a car she already has some familiarity with.

It'll be interesting to see how she does.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (5 wins, 17 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

Exediron wrote:
Battle Far wrote:Driving the same chassis/engine combination she drove in the Asian series and with long term backing she now has no excuse...
No excuses and nowhere to hide, indeed. Winning team, a teammate with at least some talent, and a car she already has some familiarity with.

It'll be interesting to see how she does.
I'm excited for it. :nod:

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:14 year old JuJu Noda will make her Danish F4 debut this weekend as the series makes a belated start with first 3 of 15 races at FMD Jyllandsringen.

Noda set the fastest time in the series test at Padborg at the beginning of April, the last time the cars were on track. Her lap time was 0.2s under the circuit record and more than 1s faster than any other driver.

Noda's 2020 F4 Livery

and...
Spoiler (click to show)
!
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

To elaborate on Dolomite's cryptic post, JuJu Noda placed 1st, 3rd & 3rd in the first three Danish F4 races held over the weekend.

Although starting from pole in the first race, she wasn't fastest in qualifying, Danish Kart graduate Conrad Laursen's best time being removed for a yellow flag offence. However, she led the 15 minute + 1 lap race from start to finish.

The second race saw a reverse grid, she started from 8th climbing to 3rd at the finish, however, a technical offence (the team changed a wheel between races against the rules) meant she was disqualified.

As a result she started the last race in 12th, again climbing to 3rd by the finish.

Races 2 & 3 were both interrupted by 2 safety cars resulting in only about 8 minutes of green flag racing, she set fastest lap in all 3 races.

Article linky

Perhaps it's not all hype...

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Give the current F1 topics, it would interesting to know which people think was more indicative of her potential - the lights to flag win or the the climbs to the podium thanks to reversed grids...

Anyway, however you look at it it was an assured and impressive debut. 3, starts, 3 finishes, 3 podiums (well i'm counting) and 3 fastest laps.

Is she that good? Does she have a weight advantage in this series? Are her competitors a bit 2nd rate? I have no idea but it will be interesting to watch.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Nice balanced article on Noda's results here including youtube link
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:To elaborate on Dolomite's cryptic post, JuJu Noda placed 1st, 3rd & 3rd in the first three Danish F4 races held over the weekend.

Although starting from pole in the first race, she wasn't fastest in qualifying, Danish Kart graduate Conrad Laursen's best time being removed for a yellow flag offence. However, she led the 15 minute + 1 lap race from start to finish.

The second race saw a reverse grid, she started from 8th climbing to 3rd at the finish, however, a technical offence (the team changed a wheel between races against the rules) meant she was disqualified.

As a result she started the last race in 12th, again climbing to 3rd by the finish.

Races 2 & 3 were both interrupted by 2 safety cars resulting in only about 8 minutes of green flag racing, she set fastest lap in all 3 races.

Article linky

Perhaps it's not all hype...
Given you think that then the marketing is working well, she was placed in the weakest F4 series, the obscure Danish one. It's my understanding that there are only 5 F4 cars in the series, the rest are F5 cars which we would know as being FF1600 cars.

Having said that she's only 14 years old and shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end, I've no problem with her starting in such an uncompetitive series.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Pokerman

I suggest you check further into the regulations, my understanding is that Danish F5 uses the same chassis & engine as F4, the differences are in the gearbox (H pattern instead of sequential), weight (F5 minimum weight is lower) and tyres. On some tracks the F5 car is faster, it is certainly not Formula Ford.

The reason she was placed in Danish F4 is because it is a series which allows 14 year old drivers, she could not race in the UK or Italy, for example until she is 15.

My attention was drawn to her by her performances testing F3 machinery in Japan where she recorded competitive times at a number of tracks.

Having said that I note that in the last race referred to above she actually finished 4th on the road (3rd in class) as 1 F5 car finished ahead.

Everyone has to start somewhere, winning your first race outside of your home country on a track you'd never driven before practice (due to Covid) seems a decent start...

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:Pokerman

I suggest you check further into the regulations, my understanding is that Danish F5 uses the same chassis & engine as F4, the differences are in the gearbox (H pattern instead of sequential), weight (F5 minimum weight is lower) and tyres. On some tracks the F5 car is faster, it is certainly not Formula Ford.

The reason she was placed in Danish F4 is because it is a series which allows 14 year old drivers, she could not race in the UK or Italy, for example until she is 15.

My attention was drawn to her by her performances testing F3 machinery in Japan where she recorded competitive times at a number of tracks.

Having said that I note that in the last race referred to above she actually finished 4th on the road (3rd in class) as 1 F5 car finished ahead.

Everyone has to start somewhere, winning your first race outside of your home country on a track you'd never driven before practice (due to Covid) seems a decent start...
Fair enough there is little disparity between the cars but still I believe there are only 5 pukka F4 cars which shows the low brow level of the series.

Like I said I've no problem with her entering at this level given her age even though I didn't realise she had no other option precisely because of her age.

Let's not forgot I was responding to the post about believing the hype, I would say it's still early days.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

After qualifying 28th of 30, Sophia Floersch finished 26th, 36s down on the winner in Saturday's FIA F3 race, then followed that up with 16th (9s down) in Sunday's reverse grid race.

Jack Doohan finished 15th on Saturday but failed to finish on Sunday, for comparison Doohan was comfortably faster than Jamie Chadwick in this winter's Asian F3 series.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:After qualifying 28th of 30, Sophia Floersch finished 26th, 36s down on the winner in Saturday's FIA F3 race, then followed that up with 16th (9s down) in Sunday's reverse grid race.

Jack Doohan finished 15th on Saturday but failed to finish on Sunday, for comparison Doohan was comfortably faster than Jamie Chadwick in this winter's Asian F3 series.
She finished 9 seconds down in the second race because there was a late SC.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

True,

In fact there were only 2 laps under green at the end of the last safety car before the chequered flag.

Having said that, if she was P16 with 2 laps to go when she crossed the line she would have been around 8s down on the leader then.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

I have been fascinated, and watch, the W Series. https://wseries.com/. This is wonderful because a great number of quality female drivers compete head-to-head on equal equipment.

Racing every Thursday at 19:00 BST

I must admit I have become a fan of Naomi Schiff. She is very quick, but unfortunately makes mistakes. https://www.twitch.tv/naomischiff99
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:I have been fascinated, and watch, the W Series. https://wseries.com/. This is wonderful because a great number of quality female drivers compete head-to-head on equal equipment.

Racing every Thursday at 19:00 BST

I must admit I have become a fan of Naomi Schiff. She is very quick, but unfortunately makes mistakes. https://www.twitch.tv/naomischiff99
Quick… Relative to what, or to whom?

Are there lap times from male drivers in other series in the same cars to compare the women's times to?
That's information I'd like to have in order to compare because I refuse to believe that excellent (relative to their male counterparts) female drivers wouldn't be signed immediately because it would be so lucrative for ANY team, especially at this time in the world to feature a female driver who is just as quick and strong as the boys. The sponsorships would be so plentiful such a team would be financially set.1

So much is said of Chadwick but we need times from male drivers in the same cars on the same tracks to be able to compare her performance fairly across the board. Danica Patrick was indeed really quick and fairly consistent, but she was consistently just a hair off the times of the top guys throughout her entire career outside the odd day where her and her car were the quickest.

Personally, I hate that an all-female series was created behind the guise of wanting to give the women an opportunity to shine in the public eye. Patrick. Legge, de Silvestro, Fisher, Duno, St. James, all made it to top tier series on merit, and yes, some were aided by sponsorship dollars to get there, but they weren't coddled or catered to in any special sort of way in order to draw attention to them in the hopes they'd make it.

Billy Monger would never accept being placed in an all special needs series and would be offended at the notion he'd need to race against anything less than the best to make it. That's the same standard all racing drivers should be held to. Neither gender, nor ethnicity, or anything else should receive special consideration. The only thing to consider is how the individual performs behind the wheel of a race car compared to their contemporaries.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

14 year old german Lilly Zug had her first F4 test with Mucke Motorsport earlier this month, she plans to race in 2021 when, at 15, she will be old enough to enter the German or Italian F4 series.

Lilly, with a successful career in karts including winning and placing in the top 3 in national championships, is highly regarded and expected to deliver in cars.

typaH4okc

Post by typaH4okc »

Go Ira Sidorkova! my new favorite driver

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

typaH4okc wrote:Go Ira Sidorkova! my new favorite driver
A nice attitude
Sidorkova wrote:“Even now, though, I think it’s still quite hard for my dad to accept that his daughter is a racing driver... He wanted a princess and instead he got a racer...

I tried modelling but I had to change dresses every 10 minutes. That’s not for me. Changing tyres, yes. Changing dresses, no.

It’s hard to explain what happens to me when I’m in a race car. I like the speed and the adrenalin. I’m comfortable there, and I don’t have any fear. I had a big shunt in a kart race in Estonia, my kart somersaulted through the air, but I was OK, the next day I won the race.”

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:14 year old german Lilly Zug had her first F4 test with Mucke Motorsport earlier this month, she plans to race in 2021 when, at 15, she will be old enough to enter the German or Italian F4 series.

Lilly, with a successful career in karts including winning and placing in the top 3 in national championships, is highly regarded and expected to deliver in cars.

Good spot Battle Far. Will keep an eye on this one.
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Sophia Floersch qualified 20th in Austria today for the 1st race of the 2nd weekend of the FIA F3 championship.

Her best qualifying effort so far saw her just 1/10th down on Jake Hughes and a similar amount ahead of Jack Doohan who comfortably beat Jamie Chadwick in the Asian series this winter.

Her time was 0.8s slower than pole position winner Frederick Vesti.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Sophia Floersch finished 21st in the first FIA F3 race over the weekend one place down from her qualifying spot and one place ahead of Jack Doohan.

She crashed out of the second race. Edit...
Formula Scout wrote:Action was paused midway through the race when Sophia Floersch and Alexander Smolyar made contact in a battle outside the top 20. Smolyar tapped the rear of Floersch’s car, sending her into the polystyrene advertising boards and out of the race, which brought out the safety car.
Another mysogynist, no doubt ;)

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

I like Floersch but fair to say she's not exactly setting F3 alight so far. Early days obviously and I don't know how competitive the team she races with is but a season of results like that and I would say that he career progression will peak. This been the story with most of the women who have raced in Europe single seaters in recent years.
Great Karting, good national level formula results, but no impact once you progress to this level.

I've been doing this thread for best part of 10 years and the reality is still no female who has been genuinely competitive at international level single seaters.
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:Sophia Floersch finished 21st in the first FIA F3 race over the weekend one place down from her qualifying spot and one place ahead of Jack Doohan.

She crashed out of the second race. Edit...
Formula Scout wrote:Action was paused midway through the race when Sophia Floersch and Alexander Smolyar made contact in a battle outside the top 20. Smolyar tapped the rear of Floersch’s car, sending her into the polystyrene advertising boards and out of the race, which brought out the safety car.
Another mysogynist, no doubt ;)
Not really she moved across the track like Smolyar wasn't there hence why he didn't get penalised, good on Floersch though for not avoiding main stream series.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Having qualified 24th of 30 in a very wet session Sophia Florsch finished 18th in the first damp track FIA F3 race in Hungary some 15s behind 7th placed teammate Peroni.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

In another very wet race Sophia Florsch placed 14th, her highest finish yet, in the second F3 race of the weekend in Hungary, her teammate Peroni finished 10th. The fastest lap wa6s some 20s off the lap record.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Sophia Florsch finished 23rd in Saturday's F3 race at Silverstone some 50s behind race winner Lawson having qualified 20th, 0.6s slower than 7th placed teammate Peroni. Not really covering herself in glory just yet...

However, she recorded her best qualifying position yet for the 2nd race, 17th, 0.4s behind Peroni.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

She was spun round in the race tbf. Not sure where she was before that. About 15th I think.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Having qualified 7th for each of the 3 Euro Formula F3 races at Misano this weekend Jamie Chadwick finished on the podium in 3rd in the first race just 2s behind the winner, Rasmussen.

Despite benefiting from the crash that eliminated teammate Arthur LeClerc and delayed Juri Vips she fought hard against another Prema teammate Petecof and a recovering Vips to retain her position gained on the first lap.

The second race saw her finish 8th behind LeClerc after holding 5th for much of the race before being somewhat rudely shoved aside resulting in an off track excursion.

Haven't seen any video yet but my initial response is encouraging, she's not on the ultimate pace yet but it appears that the boys have to get their elbows out to beat her...

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Cynical head on, the drivers she is competing against have less experience than her, she is in easily the best team but the best she has qualified is 7th out of 11 runners, all of her 3 teammates have won a race and are 1-2-3 in the series.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1Oz

Post by F1Oz »

Good to see women racing at high levels - pity they seem to have to be 'fashion' or sex icons :( - just let their racing talk

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm
Cynical head on, the drivers she is competing against have less experience than her, she is in easily the best team but the best she has qualified is 7th out of 11 runners, all of her 3 teammates have won a race and are 1-2-3 in the series.
Yes, I think it's best to compare her to her 3 Prema teammates rather than the rest of the field.