Hamilton this year.

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
rickyf1

Hamilton this year.

Post by rickyf1 »

Personally I think he has grown up and is not as childish.

What are your views?
I love F1.

cmax

Re: Hamilton this year.

Post by cmax »

rickyf1 wrote:Personally I think he has grown up and is not as childish.

What are your views?

Was he childish when he was introduced into F1 and nearly took the crown?

DangerMouse11

Post by DangerMouse11 »

Needs to lose the earrings imo
DangerMouse™ Inappropriate post removed®

neti1

Post by neti1 »

What are your views?

I do not consider that he was childish at any stage of his F1 career.

But I agree that he has matured with time, as do all psychologically healthy individuals.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

neti1 wrote:
What are your views?

I do not consider that he was childish at any stage of his F1 career.

But I agree that he has matured with time, as do all psychologically healthy individuals.

:thumbup:

He was never more childish than most other drivers early in their respective careers. He is definitely taking a more measured approach this year though and, looking at the WDC standings, it is paying off.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

dannyjames8

Post by dannyjames8 »

Well you can tell his is being a bit more careful with his overtakes and he says he is going for consistency, but im sure it wont be long until we get the 2011 Hamilton back :)

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

I think he's coping better, but theres still a sulky teenager lurking in the shadows just waiting for the right moment to do a Monaco 2011.
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

M.Nader -DODZ-

Post by M.Nader -DODZ- »

He has been quite calm headed in races and calculated most of his overtakes instead of just going for it. he hasn't gotten his win yet unlike button but is leading the WDC because of his consistency, he finally learned that it counts for a lot.

Irony is that Hamilton is leading Button in the WDC based on consistency :D

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

No doubt he matured. He has controlled aggressiveness and that's what he lacked in the past. Look, this new approach made him lead the championship. Well done!
He just need to take off those ugly black earrings, yuck!
The end is near

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:He has been quite calm headed in races and calculated most of his overtakes instead of just going for it. he hasn't gotten his win yet unlike button but is leading the WDC because of his consistency, he finally learned that it counts for a lot.

I wrote this in a thread that got cancelled so I'll just copy and paste it:

The thing is that Lewis has really had rotten luck all year. He had a clutch problem at the start in Australia that cost him the lead and then bad strategy and an ill-timed safety car cost him 2nd. In Malaysia, the race was turned into a lottery and once again he had two super-slow pitstops. In China, he had to take a grid penalty for a gearbox change.

Really, every single race has thrown bad luck at him but the difference between him now and him in the past is that now he is still finishing on the podium on days when things go against him. He's not getting impatient or trying to win the title in the first three races. He's just taking what he can get. As soon as he has a weekend where he isn't hit with bad luck, I think he will win.

It goes to show you how much circumstances outside of their control can affect a driver's season.

scouseknight

Post by scouseknight »

sandman1347 wrote:I wrote this in a thread that got cancelled so I'll just copy and paste it:

The thing is that Lewis has really had rotten luck all year. He had a clutch problem at the start in Australia that cost him the lead and then bad strategy and an ill-timed safety car cost him 2nd. In Malaysia, the race was turned into a lottery and once again he had two super-slow pitstops. In China, he had to take a grid penalty for a gearbox change.

Really, every single race has thrown bad luck at him but the difference between him now and him in the past is that now he is still finishing on the podium on days when things go against him. He's not getting impatient or trying to win the title in the first three races. He's just taking what he can get. As soon as he has a weekend where he isn't hit with bad luck, I think he will win.

It goes to show you how much circumstances outside of their control can affect a driver's season.

This sums up my thoughts on the situation.
Forza Ferrari

rawsushi

Post by rawsushi »

When you've got the fastest car in the field, it's easier not to get emotional and impulsive.

That said I've definitely observed some maturing.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Gondo

Post by Gondo »

What are your views?

The 2012 version of Lewis is the best ever and I am convinced he will be WDC this year. Here is why;
1) He can handle pressure better, which cost him to an extent in 2007 and almost cost him in 2008,
2) He has experience driving and winning (in the dry) in a car that are not competitive (2009),
3) He has learnt the value of patience and consistancy in winning the championship (2011),
4) If there is anything else he would have learnt from 2011, it's managing his tyres, and
5) He is still out and out fastest.

Mclaren have the best car so far and should be in the hunt for the top points most weekends I reckon. As long as Lewis out-qualifies Button (who may also find himself behind the Mercs and Lotus like in China), has a clean get away and remains consistant through the season, he will be WDC.

One straight forward weekend for him and the other drivers will be getting the sinking feeling. Already leading the WDC without a win. What will happen when he starts winning?
Hamilton + Mercedes!

Rocket_Red

Post by Rocket_Red »

Actions speak louder than words. hopefully he will continue on what he has.

I don't think McLaren has the best car by too much like RB did. Mercedes had the quickest in China, which will be less at tracks with no long straights. RB seem to have race pace. What is clear is the field is much tighter and there is a possibility of 7 teams winning a race, unlike last year there were only 3.

And as stated lose the earrings.
Close doesn't count

speedster_sid

Post by speedster_sid »

I think China was the race which would ve been best chance for him to win out of the last three races.
I think that these pirellis not only wear at tracks with high temps but, also get cooked leading to lack of grip.

I think he had very good pace in China also because, of lower temperatures.

He is definitely showing some maturity and might see a win for him very soon. Mclaren needs to get better with his strategies for sure though.

Amon

Post by Amon »

He is more cautious and thx to that he is leading the WDC. However if Button didn't made that mistake in China he would leading the standings. It's funny that we see a more aggressive Jense than Lewis this year. However if this cautious approach brings him no wins I see Lewis getting more aggressive again.

I also think he is leading WDC as there is no clear best car and most of the drivers have done some mistakes already.
F1 fan since 1989

trophicip

Post by trophicip »

Hamilton has a couple records all by himself; pole position and win in first five seasons. This season makes it six with poles and podiums; nearly won the championship in his rookie year, lead the championship in 4 of six years. I don't see how he is childish. There is one single element that affect Hamilton in F1, and that is tire rules. Having watched Hamilton in other series; if they went back to qualifying tires and prime tires only, Hamilton will dominate. What he has reluctantly done is change his driving style (which he was always capable of doing) in order to win championships. I think that is maturity.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

If Hamilton wins the WDC this year, he will be the most worthy WDC since... 2008... but even more worthy than that, because he would have won it without an all out dominant car (providing things stay roughly as they are now), but also because the formula at the moment is not at all suited to his driving style and he's had to adapt his driving style massively, something that is very very hard to do when you've been racing in a certain manner for something like 20 years.

This shows that he is one of the most mature and capable drivers on the grid

montyinct

Post by montyinct »

What are your views?

Well his dad said last year that we will see a very different lewis hamilton, and so far he is right!

lonix2011

Post by lonix2011 »

What are your views?

he is more "Happy" as he said he was but more grown up?

Sorry but you dont grow up over a few months, takes years and Lewis is still young, only a matter of time till he has another moment but at his age its going to happen. Think JB became his way over night? took years for him to kick out his playboy life.

ackyson1

Post by ackyson1 »

No Whitmarsh needs to stop favouring Jensen why do you think that Lewis has not signed a contract yet???? 8O 8O 8O 8O

ackyson1

Post by ackyson1 »

got his DAD back now should see the difference :D :D :D

stevefromstoke

Post by stevefromstoke »

ackyson1 wrote:got his DAD back now should see the difference :D :D :D

Joking aside I think getting his relationship with his dad sorted out will benefit him on and off the track.

ps is my avatar displaying?
Sosh says ...

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

stevefromstoke wrote:
ackyson1 wrote:got his DAD back now should see the difference :D :D :D

Joking aside I think getting his relationship with his dad sorted out will benefit him on and off the track.

ps is my avatar displaying?

Positive, Sir.
The end is near

KooTeePee

Post by KooTeePee »

Amon wrote:He is more cautious and thx to that he is leading the WDC. However if Button didn't made that mistake in China he would leading the standings. It's funny that we see a more aggressive Jense than Lewis this year. However if this cautious approach brings him no wins I see Lewis getting more aggressive again.
I also think he is leading WDC as there is no clear best car and most of the drivers have done some mistakes already.

I reckon he'll start to push again once we get back to Europe. The first few races can be very tricky, often going from cold in Oz to hot in Malaysia, possibility of rain every race until Bahrain where it's hot and dry/dusty etc. In Europe the races tend to be a lot closer in terms of racing conditions, so it's often a good strategy to tiptoe through the first few races, pick up good solid points then turn up the heat from Spain onwards.

whoelse

Post by whoelse »

Can he keep it up for another 17 races? We'll see.

minchy

Post by minchy »

He was doing fine this time last year, then it all went a bit tits up! I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see how he's doing mid-season.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

garagetinkerer

Post by garagetinkerer »

minchy wrote:He was doing fine this time last year, then it all went a bit tits up! I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see how he's doing mid-season.

Wasn't the first season that it so happened, and that is what puzzles me. Fans and media say, he only wants to win. Well, he's on the right track. To finish first, first you have to finish. He's doing that very consistently. By far the best performance throughout his career in F1 (well, so far). Please don't get me started about '07 and '08. This is my opinion... if you don't like it, "ilsa" (from the movie "Body Of Lies")
My Top 5 drivers of all times:
1) Prost/ Schumacher
3) Fangio
4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

I think he's certainly in his best form since 2009, time will tell if he makes this his best season.

Just looking at Malaysia, Button is normally a cautious driver but the way Hamilton and Button have been driving this season, I do question whether Hamilton would have lost his front wing against Karthikeyan. Button created an open goal there to give Hamilton momentum in the championship in what has been an otherwise very strong season from him.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

SwSpeed

Post by SwSpeed »

What are your views?

Kimi is not that childish anymore. He does not eat ice cream, at least on TV...

What are your views?
8)

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

sandman1347 wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:He has been quite calm headed in races and calculated most of his overtakes instead of just going for it. he hasn't gotten his win yet unlike button but is leading the WDC because of his consistency, he finally learned that it counts for a lot.

Very well put mate :thumbup:

clarng

Post by clarng »

Hamilton is in trouble this year. He has been consistently outpaced by Jenson in the race. If this keeps happening and he keeps finishing behind Jenson, it is going to get into his head and the old toy out of the pram kid would return. Jenson should lead from Bahrain onwards...

clarng

Post by clarng »

sandman1347 wrote:

With launch control banned, the driver now plays a part in the quality of his starts. The engineers can calculate the clutch bite, but the throttle is still controlled by the driver. Can't simply blame the clutch. He had too much wheel spin. In any case in Australia, his race pace was slow compared to Jenson even in clean air.

Valen

Post by Valen »

3 races is not enough time to judge. We need to see him lose a race (DNF / No podium) to see what his reaction is.

I like Lewis, I just wish he would stop giving people a reason to hate on him.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

clarng wrote:Hamilton is in trouble this year. He has been consistently outpaced by Jenson in the race. If this keeps happening and he keeps finishing behind Jenson, it is going to get into his head and the old toy out of the pram kid would return. Jenson should lead from Bahrain onwards...

Buttons the one that ran into some one this year and other than missing his pit box in the wet by a foot or so, Hamilton hasn't made a mistake. So if not making a mistake and leading the WDC is in trouble the rest of the field might as well not turn up if he gets it together.

clarng wrote:With launch control banned, the driver now plays a part in the quality of his starts. The engineers can calculate the clutch bite, but the throttle is still controlled by the driver. Can't simply blame the clutch. He had too much wheel spin. In any case in Australia, his race pace was slow compared to Jenson even in clean air.

Even though they found a problem with his clutch.

Valen wrote:3 races is not enough time to judge. We need to see him lose a race (DNF / No podium) to see what his reaction is.

And what reason has he given this year.
If...

Valen

Post by Valen »

Valen wrote:3 races is not enough time to judge. We need to see him lose a race (DNF / No podium) to see what his reaction is.

And what reason has he given this year.[/quote]

No reason yet thankfully. :)

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Valen wrote:

And what reason has he given this year.

No reason yet thankfully. :)[/quote]

Then your comment makes no sense. You said you wished he would stop giving people a reason to hate it. But then admit that he hasn't. Why even mention it?
If...

King1982

Post by King1982 »

So Post Monaco how do we rate Lewis this year?

"Racing, competing, it's in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I have been doing it all my life and it stands out above everything else" Ayrton Senna

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

King1982 wrote:So Post Monaco how do we rate Lewis this year?

I think he's driving well. Not tearing up any trees but its the perfect antidote to the back end of 2011. Probably been the second best driver so far this year, seems to have the measure of Button for the time being and if he keeps that up it will answer some questions.

zedd

Post by zedd »

I'll have to disagree. I am not seeing much signs of maturity. He seems more lost and confused, maybe a little less than last year but not by much. He is trying to do different things like being calm like JB and having a good support structure etc but he seems lost as its not working.

In Monaco he also lost it a bit - bizzarely blaming everything from blaming Ferrari and RedbUll for falling pitboard signs, blaming his team for the clutch settings and his poor start and also for Vettel overtaking him. You can sense a lot more unraveling in the near future if he doesnt get good results soon.

He is still a good driver capable of winning races, I just dont think he is in the same league as say Alonso and Vettel and even Kimi who can handle pressure and perform in the business end of a close championshp. He can win another WDC only if he gets a car that is far superior to the rest of the field. In a close championship like this year I expect him to fade similar to 2010.

He has a fatal mental flaw in that he chokes under pressure, it happened in 2007 and almost cost him the championship in 2008.

For those who bring up his early peformances, I would say read about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beginner's_luck, a proven phenomenon where certain rookies performs very well initially because they are fearless and execute their craft without pressure, without too much thinking etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beginner's_luck
http://lifehacker.com/5904825/how-beginners-luck-works-and-how-you-can-reproduce-it-anytime-even-if-youre-not-a-beginner
Last edited by zedd on Wed May 30, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.